Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Good luck chris85 with your first marathon, enjoy it. You seem to be flying through your training. Everything is going well with myself touch wood. Couple of good long runs done already and three more weeks before taper. Really looking forward to it. Just hope the weather behaves, if not just have to re adjust pace. Its my first marathon abroad and just wondering if I can bring gels in hand luggage on the plane. I'm using kinetica gels in training and im not sure if there available in Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kiloecho15 wrote: »
    Good luck chris85 with your first marathon, enjoy it. You seem to be flying through your training. Everything is going well with myself touch wood. Couple of good long runs done already and three more weeks before taper. Really looking forward to it. Just hope the weather behaves, if not just have to re adjust pace. Its my first marathon abroad and just wondering if I can bring gels in hand luggage on the plane. I'm using kinetica gels in training and im not sure if there available in Barcelona.
    Yeah hoping it stays reasonably cool and not get too hot. Should be OK with gels as long as you have them in a plastic bag I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ive brought Gels in carry on with no problem so won't be a problem.

Good work on the training - I'm the opposite, but hoping for a solid injury free Feb to give myself a fighting chance

Ive brought Gels in carry on with no problem so won't be a problem.

Good work on the training - I'm the opposite, but hoping for a solid injury free Feb to give myself a fighting chance
    Hopefully February will be good for you. My main concern is injury at this point. 30km long run last weekend I felt strong but I also ran Raheny 5 mile on Sunday and legs a bit fatigued the last few days. Plan to go easy on them this week  and lay off the pace a bit and focus on getting my slow run done this Sat (another 30km).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

Ran Raheny 5 mile last week (#bestgoodybagever) and Trim 10 mile yesterday for tune ups. Both went well. Have a monster LSR this weekend then that should see me into taper time. It's getting close...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

64.19 yesterday in the Trim 10 mile, very happy with that and good confidence boost. 3.5 more solid weeks of training and its taper time.

JPlinders wrote: »
    Ran Raheny 5 mile last week (#bestgoodybagever) and Trim 10 mile yesterday for tune ups.  Both went well.  Have a monster LSR this weekend then that should see me into taper time.  It's getting close...
    Yeah serious goody bag in Raheny. 30km LSR on Sat went well overall but some minor pain in my left knee which I was able to run on but was annoying. I sense its the move up to this higher mileage. My plan for the week is pull right back on the running (a few 5km runs to keep me going) and get into the gym and do some work to help the knee. I am hoping a little rest of the legs will help and I am running a half marathon as a tune up this weekend  (Dune HM). Also 34km next weekend. 

Anyone running Dune HM this Sunday?

33k on Sat and felt good so i'm back!

Going to do another 2 x 20 miles to catch up a little but without injuring myself again.

Good to hear most people are right on track

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

I am out and devastated. Had a bad December/January injury wise but got back last week and felt great, had been on the bike keeping the fitness up so thought I would have an outside chance of making it. Thursday night I fell over a wire on the path and came down heavily on my ankle. It's the ligaments so 2-4 weeks out at least. On crutches and feeling sorry for myself.

I be still going but won't be able to run. If anyone is looking a number let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Knocked out a steady paced 30k this morning in 3hrs this morning.
    Felt good.
    Looking forward to the big day now ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

I am out and devastated. Had a bad December/January injury wise but got back last week and felt great, had been on the bike keeping the fitness up so thought I would have an outside chance of making it. Thursday night I fell over a wire on the path and came down heavily on my ankle. It's the ligaments so 2-4 weeks out at least. On crutches and feeling sorry for myself.

I be still going but won't be able to run. If anyone is looking a number let me know
    Sorry to hear. Tough going. Hopefully you enjoy the time away and soak in some of the atmosphere over there.

Sorry to hear that Shaungoater - so close.

Had a confidence building run on sat - did 22 m at PMP and felt good.

Not sure to do another PMP long run this saturday or just do an LSR (Not a fan of LSR's as I dont trust them!)

Sorry to hear that Shaungoater - so close.

Had a confidence building run on sat - did 22 m at PMP and felt good.

Not sure to do another PMP long run this saturday or just do an LSR (Not a fan of LSR's as I dont trust them!)

A full 22m at PMP? What's the target for Barcelona?

Raced Dune HM yesterday as a bit of a tune up. Had planned to go a bit easier but felt good after an early big hill and finished in 1:47 (8 minute PB with previous best of 1:55). Plan to go easy for next 3-4 days (also a massage booked in help the muscles out). So basically bit of light running and gym work over the next 3 days, some speed work then for one evening and my final LSR of 34km this Sunday I am hoping. Then its time for me to taper!

tang1 wrote: »
    A full 22m at PMP? What's the target for Barcelona?

Target was 3:30 but no running in December (Shin splints) or most of Jan (Chest infection) killed that.

Like to do under 3:45 comfortably or at a push 3:39 (just to get me nearer the sub 3:30)!

Ran 3:39 pace on sat for 22 miles.

It's my 7th marathon and I've found doing LSR's and then hoping to run faster on the day haven't gone well for me.

What would your advice be for this sat - PMP or LSR? Thanks

Target was 3:30 but no running in December (Shin splints) or most of Jan (Chest infection) killed that.

Like to do under 3:45 comfortably or at a push 3:39 (just to get me nearer the sub 3:30)!

Ran 3:39 pace on sat for 22 miles.

It's my 7th marathon and I've found doing LSR's and then hoping to run faster on the day haven't gone well for me.

What would your advice be for this sat - PMP or LSR? Thanks

I wouldn't do another 22m@PMP anyway, maybe do another 20miles with last 10@PMP if you feel that works for you. I'd fear burn out before the big day doing another full 22PMP before the marathon. Were you comfortable doing the full 22@PMP?

I wouldn't do another 22m@PMP anyway, maybe do another 20miles with last 10@PMP if you feel that works for you. I'd fear burn out before the big day doing another full 22PMP before the marathon. Were you comfortable doing the full 22@PMP?

Thanks for that advice - that's what I'll do.

Yes, HR was relatively high, but i choose a fairly draggy second half to see if i could hold pace and i could. Finished the last 2 miles at 8 min pace (although the wind was behind me)!

Just needed the confidence boost after all the missed miles. Still not sure what to aim for on the day, but I'll decide nearer and depending on how warm it'll be

Yes, HR was relatively high, but i choose a fairly draggy second half to see if i could hold pace and i could. Finished the last 2 miles at 8 min pace (although the wind was behind me)!

Just needed the confidence boost after all the missed miles. Still not sure what to aim for on the day, but I'll decide nearer and depending on how warm it'll be

Your closer to 3.30 than you thought so, if it felt relatively comfortable I see no reason at this stage of not going for 3.30 on the day. Weather dependant and all that.

I think I may do something similar. 34km this weekend and I am aiming for maybe 4hr of 4:10 finish. I am thinking should do last 10km at PMP. Dont want to do too much more as feel I may burn out my legs (yesterdays race was tough and also 30km & 31km runs the 2 previous weeks leaving my legs tired today). What you guys think?

chris85 wrote: »
    I think I may do something similar. 34km this weekend and I am aiming for maybe 4hr of 4:10 finish. I am thinking should do last 10km at PMP. Dont want to do too much more as feel I may burn out my legs (yesterdays race was tough and also 30km & 31km runs the 2 previous weeks leaving my legs tired today). What you guys think?

I'd see how you recover from the Half before making a call on it, you ran an 8min PB which would be great training stimulus for you. See how you are going during the week and if feeling good maybe do the last 3 miles at PMP, I myself wouldn't do a full 10k what with the Half the week before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

I am out and devastated.

Sorry to hear this Shaungoater - would Connemara in April be an option when you recover?

chris85 wrote: »

I'd see how you recover from the Half before making a call on it, you ran an 8min PB which would be great training stimulus for you. See how you are going during the week and if feeling good maybe do the last 3 miles at PMP, I myself wouldn't do a full 10k what with the Half the week before.
    Yeah think will take that advice. Legs are shot this morning in fairness as also a hilly enough course. Recovery is priority at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If you're running 22 miles at PMP in the middle of a training cycle, either your planned finish time is too soft or you'll have left your marathon in the training run

TbL

If you're running 22 miles at PMP in the middle of a training cycle, either your planned finish time is too soft or you'll have left your marathon in the training run

TbL

Maybe. Don't think my goal time is that soft, since it would be 9 minutes off what i did in Dublin in October. Hopefully your'e right though!

I don't feel that one long hard run a month out will make a difference on the day. It hasnt before, but thanks for the advice

Maybe. Don't think my goal time is that soft, since it would be 9 minutes off what i did in Dublin in October. Hopefully your'e right though!

I don't feel that one long hard run a month out will make a difference on the day. It hasnt before, but thanks for the advice

You did 22 miles @ PMP and felt good, in my experience you'll either be wrecked come race day and under perform or you've under estimated your ability.

Good luck on the day

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Look at the logs of people who run a lot of marathons. They will typically get up to 14, 15 or even 16 miles at PMP. Sixteen would be about the most I've ever seen from an accomplished runner. These people have a very god idea of their form and ability simply cos they train 6 or 7 days a week for years and have run a lot of races.

22 miles @PMP means exactly what TBL has said it means. Good luck.

Itziger wrote: »
    Look at the logs of people who run a lot of marathons. They will typically get up to 14, 15 or even 16 miles at PMP. Sixteen would be about the most I've ever seen from an accomplished runner. These people have a very god idea of their form and ability simply cos they train 6 or 7 days a week for years and have run a lot of races.

22 miles @PMP means exactly what TBL has said it means. Good luck.

I didn't realise there was only one way to skin a cat!

I'm certainly no elite athlete, but I've done 2 ironman, 6 marathons, and countless other triathlon and running races over the past 10 years and know what I can and cant do.

I know I cant run a 3:30 marathon but should be comfortable under 3:45 so hopefully fall somewhere in between on the day. Closer to 3:30 the better.

Thanks for your input though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I didn't realise there was only one way to skin a cat!

I'm certainly no elite athlete, but I've done 2 ironman, 6 marathons, and countless other triathlon and running races over the past 10 years and know what I can and cant do.

I know I cant run a 3:30 marathon but should be comfortable under 3:45 so hopefully fall somewhere in between on the day. Closer to 3:30 the better.

Thanks for your input though.

Plenty ways to skin a cat, and I'm no elite runner either!! I wasn't talking about elites, just accomplished. Fellas who've gone from 3:xx to 2:40, that kind of thing.

I've never seen a coach or plan that suggests running that distance at PMP. There must be a reason for that right?? Do you agree that it suggests what TBL says above? It sounds like the soft target to me as you say you did it without much of a problem. In all my time reading about and talking to runners I've never heard anyone say they did 22 miles in training at goal pace and found it easy.

But ultimately it's your body and your goal and so on.

Davestator, we aren't criticising!

If you felt good after 22 miles at PMP you could probably have run on and done (or come very close) your target goal.

To be able to do that 5 weeks out from your goal marathon in the middle of a training cycle suggests you are in better nick than you think.

If I ran 22 miles at PMP in the middle of a training cycle I'd break down or my race day would seriously suffer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

TbL

• Advertisement

Davestator, we aren't criticising!

If you felt good after 22 miles at PMP you could probably have run on and done (or come very close) your target goal.

To be able to do that 5 weeks out from your goal marathon in the middle of a training cycle suggests you are in better nick than you think.

If I ran 22 miles at PMP in the middle of a training cycle I'd break down or my race day would seriously suffer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

TbL

Thanks - I've learned a lot on boards and have also learned that 99.9% are being helpful so I certainly didnt take offence to your advice as I know it was and is given in good faith

Advertisement