Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

If one was to do their long slow runs at marathon pace … what would that do?
    I’m training for Barcelona and that’s what I’m doing (this is my first marathon and I’m a total novice when it comes to running).
    I’ve been totally bamboozled after the long runs, but so far so good. No injuries and I’m feeling fine (albeit a day or two later!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

If one was to do their long slow runs at marathon pace … what would that do?
    I’m training for Barcelona and that’s what I’m doing (this is my first marathon and I’m a total novice when it comes to running).
    I’ve been totally bamboozled after the long runs, but so far so good. No injuries and I’m feeling fine (albeit a day or two later!!)
    Well, take a 2.59 marathon runner. (You could take a 2:03 one if you like! The same thing should apply) If they were doing 20 and 22 mile runs at MP they wouldn't be able to do anything else for the rest of the week. They'd be fooked. They'd pick up injuries as well at a big %. So, at least as far as I can see, that's mostly why they don't do it. 
    I'm not trying to be smart here or score points, it's just what I believe and understand. There is a line of thought which says slow LSRs are not great training. Not if that's the only kind of Long Run you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Sorry to hear about your injury Shaungoater. I hope you can enjoy the trip over anyway.

31k in 3'10 last weekend (Malahide to Howth) roundtrip in the lashing wind and rain and loving it :) . Another similar run along the Wild Atlantic Way this weekend and then its taper for me.

It'll be my 3rd marathon, first one abroad, travelling solo on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

magooly wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your injury Shaungoater. I hope you can enjoy the trip over anyway.

31k in 3'10 last weekend (Malahide to Howth) roundtrip in the lashing wind and rain and loving it :) . Another similar run along the Wild Atlantic Way this weekend and then its taper for me.

It'll be my 3rd marathon, first one abroad, travelling solo on this one.
    Similar for me weekend before last but I may need to slow down a little more for my goal time. 34km this weekend and plan to do similar to my last run. Dublin 15 > Phoenix Park > Grand Canal > Sandymount > Sandycove

Or may head to the Phoenix Park and just do it all within the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

chris85 wrote: »
    Similar for me weekend before last but I may need to slow down a little more for my goal time. 34km this weekend and plan to do similar to my last run. Dublin 15 > Phoenix Park > Grand Canal > Sandymount > Sandycove

:eek:

I love the park but cant think of anything worse than doing laps of it on a cold windy day!

I ran around city centre as part of my run last week and it was great to see it so early and so empty. Good luck with the last big one wherever you decide on

:eek:

I love the park but cant think of anything worse than doing laps of it on a cold windy day!

I ran around city centre as part of my run last week and it was great to see it so early and so empty. Good luck with the last big one wherever you decide on
    You would not have liked a 30km LSR I done 3 weeks ag!. 10 laps of a 3km loop in the park and used the car as an aid station basically with water, gels and a few jellies and stuff to test out. Was nice as mostly grass and my legs are feeling the increased mileage so I would like to have a grass route this weekend possibly to give the legs a break. 
    Really feeling it in the legs since the HM on Sunday. Feel I may need to take a few days off with no running or much at all to be honest. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

My plan had been:
    Tuesday: Pilates and stretching/foam rolling which done and was ok 
    Wednesday: 10km Recovery run taking it easy 
    Thursday: Interval session
    Friday: 5km easy jog + Core Workout 
    Sunday: 34km LSR 

I am now thinking of the following for the rest of the week:
    Wednesday: REST
    Thursday: 40 mins non-running cardio (bike & cross trainer) + stretching and some easy strength work
    Friday: 5km Easy run + Core Work
    Sat: REST 
    Sun: 34km LSR

Decided just going to go rest up a bit on the running. Still planning on doing my 34km LSR on sunday but mainly going to focus on getting on the bike and cross trainer for the next few days and working on some strengthing exercises to help the muscles around the knee which is the main issue I think.

How did everyone's weekend runs go?

Got a 21.5 mile LSR - kept the pace easy and felt ok. Shin splint injury from December started to bother me for the last half hour, but nothing too bad.

Taper time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

18 miles for me the previous days MP session was in the legs so glad to get through it relatively well, tired last 2-3 miles.

• Advertisement

34km LSR completed yesterday. Legs were shot the last few miles so couldnt fit any PMP pace miles at the end but overall ran with no injury. The minor pain in my right knee was ok. I just helped support it with some KT tape which helped a lot. 
    Feeling the high mileage from the last 4 weeks. Looking forward to resting the legs during the taper and being fresh on race day I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

22 miles on Saturday with 10 marathon pace miles from miles 10-20, went very well.

14 miles at MP midweek is the final hurdle for me.

Name PB Goal Beer

tang1 3.24.44 A PB Fcuking Right I do!!!!

If someone is more tech minded than me and can do a table please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

tang1 wrote: »
    Name PB Goal Beer

tang1 3.24.44 A PB Fcuking Right I do!!!!

If someone is more tech minded than me and can do a table please do.

Name|Bib No:|PB|Target|Finish Time
    tang1||3:24:44|A PB|

Bit of sandbagging there tang1, it'll be a massive PB.

neilc wrote: »

Bit of sandbagging there tang1, it'll be a massive PB.

mbarr||3:34:20|3:29:xx|

Let me be the first to enter a 'normal joe soap' time!

PB: 3:48
    Goal: 3:39

Still no idea about tables!

The Davestator||3.48|3.39|
    chris85||None|4.10|

chris85||None|4:10|

chris85||None|4.10|

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thread should be renamed Desert Storm................ ;) 
    All that sand is getting in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

JPlinders - TBA - PB 4.06 - 3.59.59

chris85||None|4.10|
    JPlinders|TBA|4.06|3.59.59|

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

magooly||3.50|3.45|
    chris85||None|4.10|

Went out for a short intervals session last night and manged to have a fall during the middle of the run and came down on my knee and arms. Knee slightly sore today but not bad so think just needs a little rest (I hope!!!). Was meant to be doing Sandymount 10km night run tomorrow as an easy enough run to be honest but may have to opt out and put the feet up and rest.

Went out for a short intervals session last night and manged to have a fall during the middle of the run and came down on my knee and arms. Knee slightly sore today but not bad so think just needs a little rest (I hope!!!). Was meant to be doing Sandymount 10km night run tomorrow as an easy enough run to be honest but may have to opt out and put the feet up and rest.

A quote I heard before (might have been boards) was;

'The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing'

I keep coming back to it every time I want to have a game of 5 a side / squash etc!
    Hope the injury is ok - only you know what to do, but It's hard to take it easy in an event in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

maybe here ?
    ;)

A quote I heard before (might have been boards) was;

'The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing'

I keep coming back to it every time I want to have a game of 5 a side / squash etc!
    Hope the injury is ok - only you know what to do, but It's hard to take it easy in an event in my experience
    Yeah good quote. I decided last night taking a few days off. Its taper time anyways so main thing is to be resting anyways so will just do a few workouts less than my plan has for these few weeks. Knee feels about 90% right today so will try get out on Thursday/Friday for a little run out. 

Otherwise all is well. Slightly nervous as its my first marathon but a little fear keeps you honest I think. It keeps you training and committed to the milestones along the way.

RayCun wrote: »
    maybe here ?
    ;)

Never read that log, but maybe i read the title subliminally! Great quote though.

tang1|1644|3:24:44|A PB|
    magooly||3.50|3.45|
    chris85||None|4.10|

Updating Bib number.

• Advertisement