Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Sorry to hear, B.
    I'm glad you're OK, I was thinking of you throughout my run this morning. I've seen you run in the heat and it's clearly not for you.

Nothing to be sorry about. You've put in a great training cycle and you're in great shape. You're probably not thinking about it now but you've a great marathon in you maybe before the year is out.

Enjoy Barcelona. You're on holiday now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

tang1 wrote: »
    Collapsed at 30k, medics wouldn't let me go on, probably smartest thing. Just to warm for me, I sweat at the thought of a run let alone running in the heat of Barcelona today. Sorry folks.

Had a feeling it was going to bite someone when I saw the forecast today. I know I would have struggled too.
    Nothing to be sorry for B, recover well and put that training to good use over the next few months. Plenty more races out there for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Agreed, don't be apologizing - mind yourself now and enjoy the few days break. Glad you're okay and I know your probably gutted but you'll be back stronger and better in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to see this, glad you're all right though, which is the main thing. Head up and hopefully you'll be back in the game soon and stronger for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Tang, take it easy for a few days and hopefully you'll recover fully soon. Barcelona seems a slightly strange choice for a fella who doesn't like the heat. If you add in that you've been training through an Irish Winter.......... (Know where I'm going with this??)

Anyway, if you're looking for alternatives your mate Bitter L and my good self are hoping to do Cork in June. There are a few October marathons near me that won't be too warm. Metz and Echternach (village here in Lux., tiny field) would be possibles - as well as the other few hundred European autumn marathons.

By then, chance are the two old fellas mentioned above will still be flogging the sub 3 horse, so you'd have company :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Itziger wrote: »
    Tang, take it easy for a few days and hopefully you'll recover fully soon. Barcelona seems a slightly strange choice for a fella who doesn't like the heat. If you add in that you've been training through an Irish Winter.......... (Know where I'm going with this??)

Anyway, if you're looking for alternatives your mate Bitter L and my good self are hoping to do Cork in June. There are a few October marathons near me that won't be too warm. Metz and Echternach (village here in Lux., tiny field) would be possibles - as well as the other few hundred European autumn marathons.

By then, chance are the two old fellas mentioned above will still be flogging the sub 3 horse, so you'd have company :)

Totally take where your coming from Itzi, but was hoping the weather gods would be good to me, rolled the dice and it didn't work!! No harm done but still gutted, open to suggestions of course, the more disgruntled Irish marathon runners the better!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tang - beers at what time???
    I'm sure we'll hatch a plan for you! ;-)

For what it's worth I was going well too til about 35km but the heat from the late morning sun beat the sh1t out of me so you're not the only one to have suffered the weather!

belcarra wrote: »

For what it's worth I was going well too til about 35km but the heat from the late morning sun beat the sh1t out of me so you're not the only one to have suffered the weather!

Hello Former Poster of Note.

How did ya do in the end?

Wanna sign up for Echternach in October?? :)

Red wine and tapas won't be quite of the Valencian quality but we'll find some alternative.

Manchester is 3 weeks away - think of today as a 30k mp run !!! Probably too soon though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Itziger wrote: »
    belcarra wrote: »

Hello Former Poster of Note.

How did ya do in the end?

Wanna sign up for Echternach in October?? :)

Red wine and tapas won't be quite of the Valencian quality but we'll find some alternative.
    Too many "friendly" German men in Valencia!! ;-)
    Great marathon though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Hard luck tang - hopefully a few beers will go down well..!

Manchester is 3 weeks away - think of today as a 30k mp run !!! Probably too soon though..
    No, no, no.
    Think Rotterdam, scene of former glory!
    There's always a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry it didn't work out today Tang. Mind yourself and don't make any plans this evening!!

snailsong wrote: »
    No, no, no.
    There's always a way.

LOL true but the weather in Manchester is bound to be bloody awful - no heat remember?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hard luck Tang. On the positive side at least you didn't do a Blockic and collapse near the finish ;) Enjoy the rest of your holiday

No, no, no.
    There's always a way.

LOL true but the weather in Manchester is bound to be bloody awful - no heat remember?!

Rotterdam in April...not a venue for a beach holiday :D.

No, no, no.
    There's always a way.

They stopped it one year when the temps got too high. Most of the field were still out.

I did it once, my first marathon in 2011 iirc, and it got over 20 degrees. Bit hot for me. They may start a tiny bit earlier since then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear it didn't go your way tang. Just one of those days. One of the lads in club had a very tough day too. As you know training doesn't go to waste so I'm sure you'll have a great marathon next time out.

Just don't jump in head first too soon, enjoy the recovery and get back at it when you are ready.

Mark, In fairness sounds like a great result given the conditions and given how much everyone seemed to struggle, you should be proud of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

Well done to JP, has ran serveral marathons and could never break 4hrs, with 4:06 his best. 3:29 today and a negative split, not sure what he was doing the last few 100mtrs though.
    Congrats on the 37min PB you sand bagger!

The morning after the day before and getting a chance to catch up on the thread with a coffee and a couple of dirty donuts.  Congrats to everyone yesterday and to those who had a bad day at the office I hope you're keeping the head up.  It was tough out there. 
    After a cautious and congested start I fired up and luckily the clouds came in.  The shade from the buildings on much of the route was a relief too but around the Arc de Triomf it was toasty to say the least.  At that stage the water bottles were going down the back of the neck.
    Met a guy around 10k with "IRL" on his back, shook hands and wished him well.  Met another chap from Mayo around 28km and we exchanged status reports on how we were feeling, he was going well but we both were concentrating on the job at hand.  I was in a blue singlet with the Irish flag on it so if that was you I hope you had a good one.
    Great day overall, very pleasing result and superbly organised event (apart from a few idiots who love crossing the street in front of you ...some with suitcases!).
    I've many personal sporting memories in the archives but yesterday will register as one of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

First marathon and aimed for 4:15. Came in at 4:28. Was bang on pace up to about 28km mark and my left quad tightened up and then at 35km my right hamstring pulled. I think the fall i had a few weeks ago still niggled me as felt my running stride a little different through my left hip and then when my left quad went a bit i probably put more pressure on my right leg and the hamstring went. The heat was also very tough especially along the coast. Must of drank about 4 litres of water on the course which is more than i thought i would.

Overall i feel positive and learned a lot from my first marathon. I had plenty of energy in me but lega gave out. I was never short of breath or unsteady. I just couldnt get the power from my legs.

Will be back next year i think. Very well run event i must say. No shortage of volunteers. Prob could have done with more toilets at the start line is the only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Well done everyone. I came in at 4'50 which is a good hour past my PB. The heat got to me early and I knew pretty quickly it was going to be a real battle. Very pleased to finish and learned a lot about myself yesterday. Felt kind of emotional crossing the line which was another first.

The atmosphere was brilliant with the bands music and even a dance class on the route. Pity about the crowds crossing in front of you. One runner was hit by a motorbike after the driver became frustrated being held back by an official.

Great to see the tricolour in the crowd here and there gives you a real boost.

Start line video

Finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Name|Bib No:|PB|Target|Finish Time
    tang1|1644|3:24:44|A PB|
    mbarr|3326|3:34:20|3:29:xx|
    The Davestator||3.48|3.39|
    magooly||3.50|3.45|
    chris85||None|4.10|
    Kiloecho15|8589|3.57|3.45.00|3.43.40
    JPlinders|TBA|4.06|3.59.59|
    RegisteredMise||None|3.59.58|
    Wow what a marathon. Firstly well done to everyone who ran. I really enjoyed this marathon. The organisation was first class. No queues for the bag drop, waves etc. (maybe more toilets at the start) The route was fair and wide with plenty of room for running. Went out with the 3:45 pacer and after the nou camp I went off ahead as I was feeling good. Thought a 3:40 might be on the cards for me. Didn't like the out and backs (just messed with my head seeing the other runners on their way back). Kept up the pace until mile 23 and then the heat ramped up. Had to dig deep for the last 4 miles and lost 2mins over them. But delighted passed over the line at 3:43:40 a pb by around 14 mins. People crossing the across the course was a problem but luckily I saw no collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

magooly||3.50|3.45|
    chris85||None|4.10|
    RegisteredMise||None|3.59.58|3.58.55

My first marathon and I have never ever experienced anything like it.
    From the very start it was epic, to say the very least.

Standouts for me were:
    1. The start line.
    Every group (the 3:45 - 4:00 group for me) were given their own send off. With confetti and excitement in the air and Freddie been blasted out on the speakers... It would make the hair stand on end. It was WOW.

2. The supporters.
    The thousands of supports shouting encouragement..I know you get that a most big marathons, but there was one section where the street got very narrow and the crowds pushed in towards the runners, giving space for 3 or 4 max to get through. It was like something you'd see in the Tour de France.. frickin amazing. Goose pimple stuff.
    Great seeing Irish flags throughout the course too.

3. The Weather.
    For a good proportion of the race the weather was great. Ideally I little cooler would have been better, but comparing it to the previous day it was brilliant.
    The day before I was really, really worried I wouldn't be able to cope with the heat. We traveled to the Expo at 10am and it was wicked warm even at that time. Fast forward 3hours and it was roasting.

4. The Volunteers/Water Stations.
    10 out of 10 here. Water stations every 2.5k and by golly I got my monies worth!!

Negatives:
    1. As mentioned before, a lot of people were crossing the road throughout the latter sections of the course. For most people, this isn't the best time to start having to contend with people or bikes.
    It's something the organisers couldn't prevent, but just a pain.

2. The weather!! The last 5/6 miles for me were tough, and the sun popping out to say hello didn't help. Leading to to the beach, there was little shelter or air... but to be fair to the organisers, there was mini showers to run though.. more of those would have been nice!!

Would I recommend it?

In an absolute heartbeat.
    Amazing city, with an equally amazing marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

magooly||3.50|3.45|
    chris85||None|4.10|

My first marathon and I have never ever experienced anything like it.

Standouts for me were:
    1. The start line.
    Every group (the 3:45 - 4:00 group for me) were given their own send off. With confetti and excitement in the air and Freddie been blasted out on the speakers... It would make the hair stand on end. It was WOW.

2. The supporters.
    The thousands of supports shouting encouragement..I know you get that a most big marathons, but there was one section where the street got very narrow and the crowds pushed in towards the runners, giving space for 3 or 4 max to get through. It was like something you'd see in the Tour de France.. frickin amazing. Goose pimple stuff.

3. The Weather.
    For a good proportion of the race the weather was great. Ideally I little cooler would have been better, but comparing it to the previous day it was brilliant.
    The day before I was really, really worried I wouldn't be able to cope with the heat. We traveled to the Expo at 10am and it was wicked warm even at that time. Fast forward 3hours and it was roasting.

10 out of 10 here. Water stations every 2.5k and by golly I got my monies worth!!

Negatives:
    1. As mentioned before, a lot of people were crossing the road throughout the latter sections of the course. For most people, this isn't the best time to start having to contend with people or bikes.

2. The weather!! The last 5/6 miles for me were tough, and the sun popping out to say hello didn't help. Leading to to the beach, there was little shelter or air... but to be fair to the organisers, there was mini showers to run though.. more of those would have been nice!!

Would I recommend it?

Very well done, a marathon debut to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

magooly||3.50|3.45|
    chris85||None|4.10|
    RegisteredMise||None|3.59.58|3.58.55My first marathon and I have never ever experienced anything like it.

Standouts for me were:
    1. The start line.

2. The supporters.

3. The Weather.

Negatives:

Would I recommend it?

Well done, great result. I would echo everything that you have just wrote. Always something to look at around every corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

magooly||3.50|3.45|
    chris85||None|4.10|
    JPlinders|TBA|4.06|3.59.59|3.29.23

Back to the grind today ...and seems the weather came home with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Got back yesterday after enjoying some relaxed eating and drinking days.

3:41 for me and very very happy with that.

when i wrote my goal time of 3:39:59, I knew it was ambitious but realistic.
    The nearer the race came, the more I though about just going with the 3:45 pacers and enjoy it.

So, that's what I did - started with the 3:45 pacers and stuck with them until 19km when I just sorted drifted ahead of them. From there, I kept it relaxed and was stretching the gap from them.

Had a little wobble at 30k, but aside from that, Its the most comfortable I've ever felt.
    I had bought a white hat at the expo and was delighted i did - the heat didn't bother me too much at all.

I drank a massive amount of water from the first station and threw a second bottle over my head, face and thighs from the start too.

I've no doubt that I could have run 3:39, however, I am happy that I chose a softer target and concentrated on enjoying it more. (Very unlike me)

It's a 7 minute PB, but more important is the lessons I learned and the enjoyment of almost every step.

Delighted to read the rest of the reports and so sorry to read about your day Tang - I can imagine how hard the heat must have hit you at that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Well done all. Gutted I couldn't do it, was just too soon post injury. I collected my pack and went to expo anyway, very impressive altogether. I was at the 16km mark then just after the arc triomph cheering on any Irish looking person I saw! Very well organised, the crossing of people was a problem though, stupid people running across runners with suitcases and people on motorbikes or bikes wheeling them across, I did see quite a few collisions. Perfect weather until about 12 when the heat cranked up. Well done all, very impressive. My mate was doing it too, his number disintegrated at the 30km mark so has no official finish time, never seen that happen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Well done to JP, has ran serveral marathons and could never break 4hrs, with 4:06 his best. 3:29 today and a negative split, not sure what he was doing the last few 100mtrs though.
    Congrats on the 37min PB you sand bagger!

Wow! How can you improve by 37 minutes? That's amazing.

Did this myself at the weekend. It was great. Managed a pb of just under 3.55 which was the aim. It took it slow and steady for the first time and I found it handy enough. I want to sign up for one again soon now.

Advertisement