Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full body workout

• 04-09-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

Hey guys started playing rugby there lately (development league) training 2 nights a week just wondering would ye be able to recommend a full body workout to do 2 nights a week I'll try do some swimming the 5th night of the week also thanks in advance

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Make it three nights a week and you can do Stronglifts 5x5: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Zillah wrote: »
    Make it three nights a week and you can do Stronglifts 5x5: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Seems interesting was hoping to avoid free weights for the time being though more focusing on machines for the first while

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Seems interesting was hoping to avoid free weights for the time being though more focusing on machines for the first while

Do you have a gym membership or someone you trust to instruct you in basic compound lifts like squats, deadlifts and bench press?

There's nothing inherently wrong with using machines. They are not ideal though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Do you have a gym membership or someone you trust to instruct you in basic compound lifts like squats, deadlifts and bench press?

There's nothing inherently wrong with using machines. They are not ideal though.

I do have a membership

Better living everyone

I do have a membership

Then you should learn the basic compound lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench etc.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Brian? wrote:
    Then you should learn the basic compound lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench etc.

Would you recommend strong lifting for a relative beginner? And I presume you'd really want a PT to get you started?

Any of ye he have any tips on getting going in the gym I've never had the confidence to go really the last few years would much rather swim than go to the gym because of that

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Any of ye he have any tips on getting going in the gym I've never had the confidence to go really the last few years would much rather swim than go to the gym because of that

Just go!.

Ask a PTi for instruction on equipment if needed, but that awkward feeling of going for the first time disappears really quickly ~ and tbh I'm using gyms over thirty years and when I join a new gym I feel just the same walking through the doors for the first time.

Everything is strange from 'wheres the bloody locker room, to wheres the fecking benches etc.

'The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step'

If you want, post what gym you're training and someone might meet you there (I would) so you're not walking in totally bewildered by everything ~ then after that you could paddle your own canoe :D

Would you recommend strong lifting for a relative beginner? And I presume you'd really want a PT to get you started?

Define "strong lifting"?

Any reasonably good gym instructor should be able to instruct you in the basics of lifting. Dumb bells and barbells are nothing to be afraid of.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    Any reasonably good gym instructor should be able to instruct you in the basics of lifting. Dumb bells and barbells are nothing to be afraid of.

Sorry, I meant the stronglifts program reconvened by Zillah above.
    I'm familiar with dumb bells and ez bar but not barbell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Stronglifts is specifically designed to be a programme for newcomers.
    Don't avoid free weights, they're best at what they do.
    You just have to bite the bullet and go in. No one is watching you, no one cares, it's all in your head. You'll get used to it.

You could hire a PT for an hour or two as a once off and get them to show you proper form for the main compound lifts. Make it clear that is what you want so they don't waste time doing other stuff. Then follow the programme on your own. Simples.

Zillah wrote: »
    Simples.

G'man - thanks

Advertisement