Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Shelves - Wood Advice

Options
  • 04-09-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,

Complete woodwork novice here looking for any advice on which wood to buy for free standing garage shelves. These will run along a 12 x 8 ft wall in the garage. I've decided to make my own and have researched places to source the wood but am at a loss when it comes to which species I should choose. For the uprights and supports the guides I've seen simply call them 2x4's or lumber. Various sites say spruce, pine or fir is common for that. I want them to be heavy duty and have lots of heavy items to store so would err on the side of caution with this. I was planning on >=18mm plywood for the shelves. Would hardwood or softwood faced make much practical difference or is it cosmetic?

There seems so many options and I know there's a few I could go for and achieve what I want but I would appreciate any guidance.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Making your own is probably the most economic as long as you have the facilities to cut up sheets of ply etc. 18 mm ply or blockboard is fine.The only problem is that the shelf supports will need a bracket of softwood let into the vertical upright to complete a triangular support. This is not as neat as the 'right angle' designs you get with metal shelf supports. You will get three 16" x 8' shelves out of an 8x4 sheet which is the optimum depth. 2" x 2" would be fine for the uprights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

would you consider making the shelves shorter and in sections

what I mean is 3 * 4 ft wide by 16 inch deep boxes with shelves in them.

You could run a strip up the middle at the back of each also to make them even stronger - notch the back brace into the shelves so the box could be mounted flush against the wall ( save stuff falling off the back ) - screw each section to the next would also increase strength.

you could go with mdf ( I wouldnt ) but I think ply would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sagulator might be of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

RobAMerc wrote: »
    would you consider making the shelves shorter and in sections

Oh yeah sorry didn't clarify, I will go with likely 3 separate 'units' attached to each other and the wall. This way can I can change things around easier in the future if need to reduce length or add another level on one section.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    You could run a strip up the middle at the back of each also to make them even stronger - notch the back brace into the shelves so the box could be mounted flush against the wall ( save stuff falling off the back ) - screw each section to the next would also increase strength.

Didn't consider bracing vertically, will mean more measuring and cutting so will probably add it in as an extra once have plans done up.

Will post back with updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you are drilling into blockwork or brick I would use 'concrete screws' . These are hardened screws with a torx drive and go directly into a 6 mm hole. No more messing about with rawlplugs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement