Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growth checks

• 04-09-2016 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Trying to decide if I'm being a crazy mom or not. Toddler is 20 months this month. He always outgrew clothes early by anything from 6-8 weeks. This time around he's still comfortably fitting in almost all of his 12-18 month clothes. I'm just a little concerned his growth has dropped off. He's had a couple of illnesses this summer and did lose weight with one in particular but that was back in June. I know clothes are probably an awful indicator but should I be in any way worried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Not in my experience... My oldest was rolls of fat and chub until that age where she started to stretch out a bit. But as always get him weighed and plotted by Phn if you are anyway worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

Same thing happened here, got obsessed by growth charts, if he seems healthy I bet he is, bin the charts and measurements and let the doc/you decide. Very healthy 8 year old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My guy was a large baby too. But got loads of wear out of 12-18 because he started stretching upwards, and was by then running around like a loon so the weight was falling off him. He then kinda skipped 2-3 and at 2.5 is in 3-4 clothes. Even some 4-5 t shirts. I wouldn't worry too much! You should be having a phn appointment soon anyway. Their growth does slow down after 18 mths anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I too found I got loads of wear out of the 12-18 month clothes, more than any other stage. He started really slimming down as we approached the second birthday. As a baby, he was always fitting bigger sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Once they start crawling and walking they lose the baby fat and start developing muscle.
    My 6 year old weighs 20.4kgs.. he's so skinny but never stops eating.. my 4 year old had a pair of 0-3 month trousers that he wears as shorts.. I kid you not :D he loves them cos Winnie the pooh is on them!
    If you're concerned your phn or gp can weigh him and advise you.
    All mine weigh under their percentile for their age but are really healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My little boy went into 2-3 clothes at 16 months and he's still in them now nearly a year and a half later. Once he started getting taller he evened out :)

Advertisement