Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

So FF and Sf are in power? When did this happen?

Is it really that hard:rolleyes:
    You obviously are just trolling on here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Augeo wrote: »
    Folk in their 20s.
    That encompasses folk from the age of 20 to the age of 29.
    By years, I meant anything over two :) So you could have someone who is 26 on the housing list 3 years, they'd be on it years :)

Folk in their 20s encompasses folk from 22 to 29. Years is not simply the plural of year. You are just indulging in a rant.

Folk in their 20s encompasses folk from 22 to 29. Years is not simply the plural of year. You are just indulging in a rant.

Not at all.
    Someone 21 isn't in their 20s?

Someone 3 years at something isn't at it years?
    I know loads of folk who were years in college, or years serving their time, or worked somewhere for years. All being periods of 3 or 4 years.

There's no rant here my friend.

Augeo wrote: »
    Not at all.
    Someone 21 isn't in their 20s?

Someone 3 years at something isn't at it years?
    I know loads of folk who were years in college, or years serving their time, or worked somewhere for years. All being periods of 3 or 4 years.

There's no rant here my friend.

Their obviously being difficult on purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

ironclaw wrote: »
    Can I ask the genuine question, what counts as homelessness in Ireland?

Without fixed abode.

The same as it's always been.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    The reason I ask is that if you travel in North America, and other parts of the world, homelessness is in a whole other ball park. Shanty towns under highways, people who have clearly been without a solid home and on the streets for many years. Others who, every garbage day, are looking through bins for recyclables to get money from the. I've never seen this 'level' in Ireland.

Just because something isn't at a certain "level", doesn't mean there isn't an issue. Do we really have to let it become Calcutta before something is done?

Besides, the likes of America isn't any kind of gauge to be aiming for in regards social issues.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Without fixed abode.

Just because something isn't at a certain "level", doesn't mean there isn't an issue. Do we really have to let it become Calcutta before something is done?

Besides, the likes of America isn't any kind of gauge to be aiming for in regards social issues.

Some people would prefer to do nothing about their own people but show a picture of a migrant in the Med & they are willing to give them everything.
    We should not have homelessness FULL STOP!! Just because other countries dont look after their own doesn't mean we should be letting our elected g0bsh1te$ politicians off the hook.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Some people would prefer to do nothing about their own people but show a picture of a migrant in the Med & they are willing to give them everything.
    We should not have homelessness FULL STOP!! Just because other countries dont look after their own doesn't mean we should be letting our elected g0bsh1te$ politicians off the hook.

It’s hard to have sympathy with so called homeless who live in hotel rooms, when their poster girl, months after getting her “forever” home, takes to social media complaining about a draft in a window. Even more sickening when people donated new furniture to her. Gratitude my a*&e.

The genuine homeless are those who lack the skills to help themselves. They are the ones we should be focusing on.

Banning AirBnBs would help alleviate the situation. That alone would free up thousands of spaces.

It’s hard to have sympathy with so called homeless who live in hotel rooms, when their poster girl, months after getting her “forever” home, takes to social media complaining about a draft in a window. Even more sickening when people donated new furniture to her. Gratitude my a*&e.

The genuine homeless are those who lack the skills to help themselves. They are the ones we should be focusing on.

Banning AirBnBs would help alleviate the situation. That alone would free up thousands of spaces.

Yes for sure. People should be told when given a house that the council has made it livable & they must take care of everything else, unless something major happened obviously.
    We also have to stop these that think they can move from council house to council house whenever they feel like
    You should appreciate being given the home & if you wreck it you pay for it or go to jail, stop pussy footing around it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The lacking skills homeless have always been with us, and may not be solvable.

Only in YOUR mind is she a "poster girl". But go ahead, damn everyone based on one person. A person you incessantly bring up.

...and living in a hotel room isn't a home.

But fuck em...isn't that right maryanne.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

folks stop getting the digs in. Attack the post not the poster.

Only in YOUR mind is she a "poster girl". But go ahead, damn everyone based on one person. A person you incessantly bring up.

...and living in a hotel room isn't a home.

But fuck em...isn't that right maryanne.

No. That’s not my point at all. I think that people need take a bit more responsibility for their situations and ACCEPT help, rather than EXPECT it as their right.

No. That’s not my point at all. I think that people need take a bit more responsibility for their situations and ACCEPT help, rather than EXPECT it as their right.

Few people "expect". Most don't want to be homeless or in the bad situation they themselves and are glad to "accept" the help the state provides. There are outliers, of course, just are there are in everything. But they do not speak for the majority, nor should they be held up as such.

You know, life HAPPENS TO YOU and a lot of the time, it's regardless of the choices one makes.

Our homeless problem is intertwined with our problem with home affordability. That's both buying and renting, and until that's tackled in a real way, these figures will continue to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Without fixed abode.

There is looking after our own and there’s bring taking advantage of by our own.

In the boom and now there is no reason why anyone should be unemployed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Few people "expect". Most don't want to be homeless or in the bad situation they themselves and are glad to "accept" the help the state provides. There are outliers, of course, just are there are in everything. But they do not speak for the majority, nor should they be held up as such.

You know, life HAPPENS TO YOU and a lot of the time, it's regardless of the choices one makes.

Do you genuinely believe that?

We are in a country here, which provides a very high level of education to everyone. We have hospitals we can all access, and we have a social welfare system to give a hand up to those who fall on hard times. There is only is much you can do for those who fail to help themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

pwurple wrote: »

We are in a country here, which provides a very high level of education to everyone..
    If that is the case how come so many teenagers are illiterate?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If that is the case how come so many teenagers are illiterate?

Probably the same reason so many people are homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Personal responsibility!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

We are in a country here, which provides a very high level of education to everyone. We have hospitals we can all access, and we have a social welfare system to give a hand up to those who fall on hard times. There is only is much you can do for those who fail to help themselves.
    We live in a very two tier country; it's hard to notice it when you are in the upper tier looking straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The problem with "poster girls" apartment was/is - it's very hard to heat.

She has electric storage heaters but they aren't overly effective.

This i understood is why the draugh coming in the windows was such a big issue.

A draugh means heat loss.

Think there was a damp issue as well.

The block of flats were unoccupied for over 10 years before she and the other people who live there moved in. So that may be part of the issue.

I'd have assumed it's the councils job to maintain the houses tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We live in a very two tier country; it's hard to notice it when you are in the upper tier looking straight ahead.
    We live in a very classless society

ted1 wrote: »

You're new here yeh?

:pac:

"Classless society". What a laugh.

You're new here yeh?

:pac:

"Classless society". What a laugh.

Well you have couples both working & earning decent money, paying a mortgage, childcare, running two cars etc and they take a short sun holiday in the summer all going well.

You then have couples, neither working, housed by the taxpayer and they get their week in Spain too more often then not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Its not a matter of belief. There's countless studies dictating that factors such as race, socio-economic class and other factors play more a part in your life than hard work. I'm linking an article from the NY times detailing extensive data pointing to race/socio-economic status and social mobility. The data, extensive as it is, points away from your general thesis of choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

Well 3rd level education costing a fortune in the US would be a huge factor to be fair.

There are excellent 3rd level course ranging from level 6 to 8 on the NFQ available to anyone with a few brain cells for nothing in comparison to the US.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm linking an article from the NY times detailing extensive data pointing to race/socio-economic status and social mobility. The data, extensive as it is, points away from your general thesis of choice.

In the U.S.

Graham wrote: »
    In the U.S.

It would be ludicrous to think you couldn't correlate the data to social mobility as it relates to race, socio-economic group in another country. Data also shows similar results in the UK. As I said, belief doesn't enter the equation.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It would be ludicrous to think you couldn't correlate the data to social mobility as it relates to race, socio-economic group in another country. Data also shows similar results in the UK. As I said, belief doesn't enter the equation.

While the UK may be closer socio-economically speaking you can't just ignore significant differences in education, social welfare, healthcare, employment, employment opportunities, legislation, law, ethnic mixes......

Graham wrote: »
    While the UK may be closer socio-economically speaking you can't just ignore significant differences in education, social welfare, healthcare, employment, employment opportunities, legislation, law, ethnic mixes......

No you can't but without realising it you're arguing again't yourself. You're saying that significant differences in education, social welfare, healthcare, employment and employment opportunities can affect social mobility thus this study can't be extrapolated. Therefore it can be concluded that these things, mostly out of our control affect social mobility.

Studies also show us that going to a private school will make it more likely for you to go to an elite university even relative to a much smarter student from a less privileged background. We're seeing that merit and choice aren't predominant determinants it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

ted1 wrote: »
    Ireland has a huge class divide; we just don't like to talk about it (surprise surprise) and thankfully it's not as much of a barrier to entry to economic prosperity as in other countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement