Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Gatling wrote: »
    The likes of local authorities should increase rents from a minimum rents to something around 600pm they also need to enforce the collection of over due rents council's across the country are losing something around €50 million in un paid or over due arrears ,

How much could be raised for new housing stock by actually increasing rents to a meaningful level and collect what is already owed

How do we link this 600 euro to ability to pay????.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Take your pick.

I fully accept the people on the housing list refuse homes from time to time. I know a guy that refu two thinking he & his family had a third shot. I was delighted when they told him that he was now further down the list. If he gets offered again it will be years from now.

I had a quick scan through the links you posted and didn't find any statistics on homeless people refusing accommodation

There is a huge difference between someone living in a house with the state paying most of the rent refusing compared to one of the 10,000 homeless people refusing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Old diesel wrote: »

Simple, you charge €600 and its up to the tenant to prove they can't pay. Each year there rent is set at a figure and its up to them to prove they can't pay.

One of the reasons there is outstanding local authority rents is where the income of the household increased but the tenants did not inform the council. it would appear that some tenants had no intention of notifying the council until they got caught.

By adopting the above approach the onus is on the tenant to prove they can't afford it rather than the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Take your pick.

Cheers for that but I did ask for facts. Very few in those articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The whole homeless figures are a sham. There are lots of people per sais marked homeless but living with parents.

The whole homeless figures are a sham. There are lots of people per sais marked homeless but living with parents.

Do you deny there is a housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Do you deny there is a housing crisis?

Loaded question . If you wish to state something do so.

Loaded question . If you wish to state something do so.

It's not, it's a simple there is or there isn't. If unwilling to answer just say so.

Simple, you charge €600 and its up to the tenant to prove they can't pay. Each year there rent is set at a figure and its up to them to prove they can't pay.

One of the reasons there is outstanding local authority rents is where the income of the household increased but the tenants did not inform the council. it would appear that some tenants had no intention of notifying the council until they got caught.

By adopting the above approach the onus is on the tenant to prove they can't afford it rather than the other way around.

I interpreted Gatlings suggestion as 600 been a minimum figure.

Not one open to flexibility if you could show financial inability to pay.

• Advertisement

I interpreted Gatlings suggestion as 600 been a minimum figure.

Not one open to flexibility if you could show financial inability to pay.

The figure is changeable but the principle remains the same. The ESB don't fix your charge based on your ability to pay, the TV license is not set based on your ability to pay (except the old people etc), your car tax is not based on your ability to pay. If you are getting something subsidised and you can afford to pay extra but you choose not do how is that fair.

I am all for helping those who genuinely need it (and I mean genuinely need it) but in my experience their are to many "playing the system".

If we put the onus on the tenant to prove inability to pay rather than on the State to catch those who should pay more. Our history of enforcement of anything leaves a lot to be desired.

hmmm wrote: »
    The Journal are reporting that Irish charities have an income of 14.5 billion and employ 189,000 people.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-charities-4145144-Jul2018/

That's completely mental. I don't trust any statistics out of the charity industry (and it is an industry, which spends a fortune on marketing).

Thats an absolute staggering amount of money. Surely it should read millions and not billions?. Where is this money going?, genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I fully accept the people on the housing list refuse homes from time to time. I know a guy that refu two thinking he & his family had a third shot. I was delighted when they told him that he was now further down the list. If he gets offered again it will be years from now.

I had a quick scan through the links you posted and didn't find any statistics on homeless people refusing accommodation

There is a huge difference between someone living in a house with the state paying most of the rent refusing compared to one of the 10,000 homeless people refusing

And you need to set these cases against the numbers of those who DO accept an offer gladly... I jumped in before the words were spoken almost!

But i suppose that that is not sensational?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The figure is changeable but the principle remains the same. The ESB don't fix your charge based on your ability to pay, the TV license is not set based on your ability to pay (except the old people etc), your car tax is not based on your ability to pay. If you are getting something subsidised and you can afford to pay extra but you choose not do how is that fair.

I am all for helping those who genuinely need it (and I mean genuinely need it) but in my experience their are to many "playing the system".

If we put the onus on the tenant to prove inability to pay rather than on the State to catch those who should pay more. Our history of enforcement of anything leaves a lot to be desired.

Would value more and reliable info?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Would value more and reliable info?

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/local-authority-rent-arrears-in-dublin/

See under the section Addressing rent arrears

"Dublin City Council’s collection of arrears is better understood when one considers the collection rate as a percentage of accrued rent in a particular year (excluding overruns). Between 2013 and 2015, the city council collected over 100 per cent of its accrued rent. It is the Council’s policy to apply retrospective debits to accounts in the case of under-declaration of household income and occupants. This accounts, in part, for the average arrears of €3,440 among tenants and the total arrears of €19.6m in 2015"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Cheers for that but I did ask for facts. Very few in those articles.

Enough, though, for some people to come on here month after month and peddle the repeated idea that there isn't a problem, despite the fact that everyone else can see that there is. A VERY large one indeed.

It's wholly disingenuous to try and fling this idea around that there's no issue here and it's just people having a laugh.

Conditions in this country are already out of control, regarding affordability in both rents and purchasing, and there's no desire from government to try and tackle it. For too many people, a simple thing like merely buying a home is out of reach and remains a pipe-dream <- that's an indicator of a sick society right there.

Don’t get your point. If someone is living in a house, they’re not homeless.

The poster girl for the homeless industry, Erica Fleming, refused 2 offers of accommodation before accepting one. She then took to social media complaining about a draughty window.

The poster girl for the homeless industry, Erica Fleming, refused 2 offers of accommodation before accepting one. She then took to social media complaining about a draughty window.

So almost 10,000 people get judged based solely on Erica Fleming? She was a gift for certain quarters.

Yes I agree. My point was someone posted links on people refusing accommodation. I was pointing out that the links were highlighting people already in houses refusing an offer because they can.

I didn't see any links highlighting the amount of homeless people, the 10,000, refusing accommodation. That was my point. The links posted to prove a point didn't prove the point

Erica was concerned that going on HAP risked becoming homeless again at a later date.

That's why she was pushing for a council house.

What she was offered was HAP.

She turned it down and eventually was offered her current council home.

The reason the window is an issue is because the house is very hard to heat.

From what I understood there was issues with some damp.

I don't know if it got sorted because it was some time ago she tweeted about it and she hasn't afaik tweeted about it since.

The people counted as homeless and who have accomodation are in temporary emergency accomodation.

That's not their permanent solution (the word temporary and emergency highlight this).

• Advertisement

So almost 10,000 people get judged based solely on Erica Fleming? She was a gift for certain quarters.

She’s the one who shouted loudest and got mentioned in the media. There’s roughly 1,300 families in emergency accommodation. Hundreds of those families have refused more permanent homes for various reasons. Read the links I’ve provided to inform yourself further.

Ever hear the expression “beggars cannot be choosers”?

She’s the one who shouted loudest and got mentioned in the media. There’s roughly 1,300 families in emergency accommodation. Hundreds of those families have refused more permanent homes for various reasons. Read the links I’ve provided to inform yourself further.

Ever hear the expression “beggars cannot be choosers”?

Can you post a link backing up your claim of "hundreds" of families?

It actually sounds a bit made up to be honest
    I'd like to point out that the homeless situation is fluid. Constantly moving. For example out of the 1,300 families you are quoting more than half of these won't be part of the 1,300 (or higher) quoted in 12 months time yet the "hundreds" you mention (without proof) are figures since 2011 I'd imagine.. I'm guessing we've had over 5000 homeless families since 2011

She gets mentioned a lot in the media by certain people with their own agenda. The links you provided are generally sensalionist rubbish tbh.
    You agree there are 1300 families homeless. There is a multitude of reasons why accommodation is turned down. Somehow I doubt you would bother yourself with knowing what those reasons could be. The government accepts there is 3000 children homeless. Yet there are those whom for reasons known only to themselves constantly seek to down play the issue.

Ever hear the expression “beggars cannot be choosers�

Would you move your family into an area where drugs were rife for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Would you move your family into an area where drugs were rife for example?

If you’re not paying for the house tough luck.

Time to weed out this cohort of leeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Tony EH wrote:
    For too many people, a simple thing like merely buying a home is out of reach and remains a pipe-dream

To be fair it's not a packet of crisps. I personaly don't think it's unreasonable for it to be a difficult thing to attain.

Time to weed out this cohort of leeches.

So when you 'weed them out' as you put it where do they go? We are a society and as such we have a system in place, generally we don't dispose of our citizens. A proper thought out reply please no nonsense thanks.

Ah the 'free house' nonsense is never far away.

Ah the 'free house' nonsense is never far away.

Yeah but it’s true isn’t it?

Me and you have had this exact same discussion and usually you vanish out of the thread when a good few people point out how it is indeed a free house.

I’m ready to go again if you are.

• Advertisement

So when you 'weed them out' as you put it where do they go? We are a society and as such we have a system in place, generally we don't dispose of our citizens. A proper thought out reply please no nonsense thanks.

They get put into emergency accommodation until they can fend for themselves, not until they get a forever home at the expense of the taxpayer.

What is so inhuman about that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement