Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise

Options

Comments

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So you don't know why certain homes were rejected but made up something to fit your narrative or as some would say you lied. You don't know what any one living in a hotel has been offered if they have been offered anything at all. But again you seek to have your own narrative.

Try reading the links provided. They are from numerous sources. Are they all lying?
    People have to learn how to provide for themselves. Life is far from perfect. One learns to make the most of their lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Do people actually think it’s Leo and the governments job to house every single person in this country regardless of, situation, status etc without asking any questions about finance and sustainability?

Is this the mindset?

No matter what everyone should be housed at someone else’s expense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

So we build council housing and some people don't pay their rent. What do we do then? I invest in a property and want to leave it idle so I am going to be taxed so. It appears your answer is to tax tax and tax more. You refuse to place any responsibility on people to accept housing once offered.

You asked for suggestions, you got some. Not my concern you don't like the answers you received. So you are going to base what we should do on the possible actions of a few. Yeah every bit as sensible as your revised planning suggestion. Not a lefty btw, but if it makes you feel better labelling people who disagree with you 'a lefty' be my guest.

Try reading the links provided. They are from numerous sources. Are they all lying? People have to learn how to provide for themselves. Life is far from perfect. One learns to make the most of their lot.

You have made the claim that people demanded top notch fixtures and fittings, up to you provide evidence of this or it can be assumed you made up the claim.

You have made the claim that people demanded top notch fixtures and fittings, up to you provide evidence of this or it can be assumed you made up the claim.

I see you ignored my comment about free houses.

Nothing new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

You asked for suggestions, you got some. Not my concern you don't like the answers you received. So you are going to base what we should do on the possible actions of a few. Yeah every bit as sensible as your revised planning suggestion. Not a lefty btw, but if it makes you feel better labelling people who disagree with you 'a lefty' be my guest.

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/local-authority-rent-arrears-in-dublin/ so 26% of Dublin city tenants are "just a few"

Your concept of just a few speaks volumes.

I see you ignored my comment about free houses.

I didn't my response to you is there.

Nothing new.

Just in case you are unable to look correctly. #658

Like do people really think if we build houses for these 10,000 homeless people very quick, you won’t have another 10,000 the following day suddenly homeless waiting for their house??

Are people really this thick?????

Just in case you are unable to look correctly. #658

I don’t know how to look up comments like that but I’ll take a guess your response is I’m talking nonsense and that’s it without any constructive point of view.

• Advertisement

so 26% of Dublin city tenants are "just a few"

Any recent figures since your link is 3 years out of date. As an aside isn't the onus on the council to collect the rent, there is enforcement available to the council's.

I don’t know how to look up comments like that but I’ll take a guess your response is I’m talking nonsense and that’s it without any constructive point of view.

So you can't scroll back the pages till you see that number beside a comment? Wow.

Any recent figures since your link is 3 years out of date. As an aside isn't the onus on the council to collect the rent, there is enforcement available to the council's.

Do you think the tenants have all suddenly paid all arrears and there are only a "few" with outstanding amounts.

I thought the onus was on the tenant to pay their rent how foolish of me to think that.

Like, evict them onto the streets?

Do you think the tenants have all suddenly paid all arrears and there are only a "few" with outstanding amounts.
    No up to date figures so.
    I thought the onus was on the tenant to pay their rent how foolish of me to think that.

It is but not everyone does what they are required do, if they did no need for courts or guards etc.
    I also believe there is an issue collecting council rates from commercial business. Owed millions there to.

Like, evict them onto the streets?

Is that your suggestion? Personally I'd have suggested an attachment order I guess I'm more caring of my fellow citizen.

No up to date figures so.

It is but not everyone does what they are required do, if they did no need for courts or guards etc.
    I also believe there is an issue collecting council rates from commercial business. Owed millions there to.

So you feel every council tenant is up to date with their rent except for a "few" so.

So you feel every council tenant is up to date with their rent except for a "few" so.

I don't know and neither do you. You're the one who posted a link form 3 years ago. I'd imagine the figures would be different now I could be wrong though, but again I don't know.

I don't know and neither do you. You're the one who posted a link form 3 years ago. I'd imagine the figures would be different now I could be wrong though, but again I don't know.

Why would they be different?

Why would they be different?

You believe nothing changes in 3 years? Btw I trust you were able to find my reply to your question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Is that your suggestion? Personally I'd have suggested an attachment order I guess I'm more caring of my fellow citizen.

an attachment order on somebody with no income, yeah good luck. Our social housing schemes are already full of people with multiple orders for a 5er a week that they don't pay..

an attachment order on somebody with no income, yeah good luck. Our social housing schemes are already full of people with multiple orders for a 5er a week that they don't pay..

Unless they live on fresh air they have an income. Any link to the rest of your claim you know as in some figures to back it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

You believe nothing changes in 3 years? Btw I trust you were able to find my reply to your question?

You believe if there is a change that it's positive?

Unless they live on fresh air they have an income. Any link to the rest of your claim you know as in some figures to back it up?

from : https://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0722/463975-prison-unpaid-fines-alan-shatter/
    In a statement today, the department said that the Government decided last October not to proceed with deductions against social welfare payments.

It said this was due to the cost of administering the deduction of fines, and because social welfare rules meant only around €2 a week could be deducted.

you can only deduct 2 euro a week from welfare recipients.

You believe if there is a change that it's positive?

32 million was outstanding in 2015, I would hope that the council concerned would have made some effort to collect what is owed. Other than that I don't know as I already said.

please show me where they gave up on this and actually started punishing welfare recipients for their ills ?

you can only deduct 2 euro a week from welfare recipients.

Still doesn't address your claim. Do you think all social housing tenants are on social welfare? Many work believe it or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You believe nothing changes in 3 years?

More recent figures:

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/local-authority-rent-arrears/

Between 2015 and 2016 local authority rent arrears leapt from €67.4m to €72.9m.

Collection rates appear to hover fairly consistently around 85%.
    while the rate of collection throughout the country has been stable over recent years (circa 85pc), the absolute amount of arrears has increased year-on-year since 2009.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote:
    Between 2015 and 2016 local authority rent arrears leapt from €67.4m to €72.9m.

So the council is failing abysmally at collecting revenue owed to it? Maybe they should use the resources available to enforce collection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement