Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of cancelling insurance after car change

• 04-09-2016 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

I have just changed my car in the middle of the insurance period, did this on the phone, and am considering to cancel the policy and go with a different insurer.

Does changing the car over the phone create a new 14 day "cooling off" period or would this be a normal cancellation?

(Different conditions would apply. In case of cancellation of the policy AXA says: "We will not refund your premium for any optional extras." It is not defined what constitutes an optional extra.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Normal cancelation . Review the cancelation chart available in their Terms of Business leaflet or on the website.

If a claim occurred during this insurance period then no refund.

Most customers don't check with the insurer, in advance of buying a car, if the rates will change and then get annoyed when newer car am costs more to cover.

Be sure that the other company are giving you the same or 'less cover for less money' -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Well, I did check beforehand (online) what the rate for the new car would be: €615. When I phoned the insurance company, AXA, from the motor dealer's office, I was given a quote that amounted to €733 per year.

When I pointed out the €615 quote, the AXA person said: "That was an online quote. You are on the phone now." I knew at that moment we wouldn't stay friends. ;) Dear AXA, you are charging me €118 for a phone call?

By the way, changing the car online was simply not an option because AXA would not let me create an online account. "We were unable to verify your details" the website told me.

Yesterday I tried just 3 other insurance companies online and immediately got one quote that was €598. I'm sure I can do even better than that. Bye bye AXA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Carbon125 wrote: »
    Well, I did check beforehand (online) what the rate for the new car would be: 615. When I phoned the insurance company, AXA, from the motor dealer's office, I was given a quote that amounted to 733 per year.

When I pointed out the 615 quote, the AXA person said: "That was an online quote. You are on the phone now." I knew at that moment we wouldn't stay friends. ;) Dear AXA, you are charging me 118 for a phone call?

By the way, changing the car online was simply not an option because AXA would not let me create an online account. "We were unable to verify your details" the website told me.

Yesterday I tried just 3 other insurance companies online and immediately got one quote that was 598. I'm sure I can do even better than that. Bye bye AXA.

But you were doing a mid term adjustment to the policy, so doing full new quote is not the same type of check.

Sure as long as you know your covers better

Advertisement