Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trap Cartridges

Options
  • 05-09-2016 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering what brands of trap cartridges guys are using and where you are getting them and more importantly:D what are ye paying per slab/1000 etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Express English Sporter 28g 7.5 Cartridges, use them in my semi and O/U, I find them fast and hard hitting both on clays and pigeons.

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition/express-english-sporter-28g-7-1-2-cartridges.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I use these also - work well on clays (they outperform me anyway).
    Use them in my semi, never had any issue with them not clearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hollow point

Eley superb competition 7.5s/8s €230 per 1000 Paul O'Halloran Drangan Co. Tipperary.
    Gamebore Kent €200 per 1000 or Gamebore Velocity 7.5s/8s €220 per 1000 John Conroy Portlaoise

Are the eley superb the same as Eley Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hollow point

ezra_ wrote: »
    Are the eley superb the same as Eley Olympics?

No ezra the olympics are different cheaper than the superbs I find the superbs a much better shell I get way better breaks with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

The Eley Superbs are far superior than the Olympic Traps. They can be hard to get cos most lads just want whatever is cheapest for clays. Theyre a great all rounder cartridge pigeons/clays/crows

No ezra the olympics are different cheaper than the superbs I find the superbs a much better shell I get way better breaks with them

I went through a couple of boxes of the Olympics and had more jams then I've ever had.

The tail of the cartridge kept getting caught when the bolt returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hobbies_left_ me_pennyless

I got a a couple of slabs of gamebore kents from Gareth Delaney in Ballyhaunis for 50 a slab. I REALLY like them! Seemed to shoot better with them than other brands

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Anyone know where I can get bornaghi all black 7 1/4 28gr cartridges and at wat price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

ace86 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get bornaghi all black 7 1/4 28gr cartridges and at wat price?

Good cartridge them was using them earlier today. you can get them from irish shooting sports . you can order over the phone i believe . i saw some there today . think they are around €245 per 1000 but dont quote me im not 100% on the price

https://www.irishshootingsports.ie/index.php?route=common/home

their website doesnt show them but they definately do them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Eley Olympic 190 per 1000 Paul Halloran Drangan only for clays don't use them for pigeons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Anyone buying cartridges in bulk for short chambered guns ? 2 1/2" or 65mm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The cheapest.....once they go bang and break clays...I know lads paying €75 for fancy shells at that money they must have a high gold content or something. But then again as my Mammy would say " A fool and there money is easily parted"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

The cheapest.....once they go bang and break clays...I know lads paying €75 for fancy shells at that money they must have a high gold content or something. But then again as my Mammy would say " A fool and there money is easily parted"

In fairness i was using cheap eley cartridges, cannot remember the exact ones but they had chinese writing on the box, absolute rubbish. I pay a small bit more and get something much more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I use nobelsport 7.5 28g at iirc €54 per slab.
    Expensive cartridges would be wasted on me, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Test your cheap vs pricey cartridges on a pattern plate at 40 yards and you'll see where the extra 5-10 Euro a slab extra goes (which only works out at 50c to a Euro a box

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

.243 wrote: »
    Test your cheap vs pricey cartridges on a pattern plate at 40 yards and you'll see where the extra 5-10 Euro a slab extra goes (which only works out at 50c to a Euro a box

I Agree with you there I started off using cheap ones ur learning the game and ur performance is not great and ur going through a few rds as well so it's more of a financial thing But the good cartridges are dearer but faster and make all difference I think in hits and performance. I had 8 rds left in a box and a neighbour asked me to shoot a few crows wrecking is field after planting it and I got 5 crows and had to pump one fellow twice but they dropped them without a hassle. I just find lately with guns and ammo u get wat u pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

gunny123 wrote: »
    In fairness i was using cheap eley cartridges, cannot remember the exact ones but they had chinese writing on the box, absolute rubbish. I pay a small bit more and get something much more consistent.

Agreed . U dont have to go for the big money ones for a decent cartridge but the cheapest eleys were horrible to use . Alright if u are only shooting a few clays now and again but not if you are entering competitions

Ive tried nearly everything at this stage and there is a big difference difference between brands and i mainly now use

Fiocchi F-Black
    Clever T-3 Grand Italia
    Bornaghi All Black

Loads of others id use for practice and some others id happily use in comps but they would be my first choice for DTL / ABT / OT

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thunderduck

Using fiocchi fblack at the moment. 65 a slab. Big step up from the olympic blues

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Without trying to start one of those mind numbing arguments :) Can I ask why you use clay cartridges on live targets?

As an old git from the days when we were told No 5 shot was for small game birds (with a few exceptions snipe etc) and No 7 - 8 - 9 shot was for the different disciplines of clay shooting.

Doing pattern tests is an essential part of any gun trials with any shot size and you will learn a lot from doing this at different ranges.

You will see how effective or not effective the shot size you think is great for shooting ?? and how your chokes work and how aligned or misaligned your barrels are to your bead site with the later quite over looked.

It is quite easy to do. Just knock some simple frames up and staple some paper over them at the ranges you think you shoot at.

The results will tell you that it can be not always the cartridge at fault.

• Advertisement

123shooter wrote: »
    Without trying to start one of those mind numbing arguments :) Can I ask why you use clay cartridges on live targets?.......

I know that many would say that 'cost' should not be a factor in choosing ammunition, for the sake of accuracy and reliability. If lads want to spend money on premium ammunition fair play but in relation to live targets once their dead, their dead and the extra bucks laid out won't make them any 'deader'.
    But let's tackle the elephant in the room and I will say cost is a factor especially in high volume shooting such as decoying pigeons. Being a pragmatist (some will say 'cheap') I will chose my ammunition based on suitability to the particular discipline and the firearm, but cost will always be there. Do I chose ballistic tips over soft point? - No, mostly because they cost more then I think (IMPO) their actually worth. So at this stage I know, from practical experience and positive results under the conditions I hunt the following - Federal 100gr SP effectively kill deer / fox, Winchester / Eley .22 LV HP kill rabbits, RC (Italian) 6 - 4 will do all my game birds and (back to your question) most of what I've tried (except fibre wad) in 28g 7.5 trap cartridges are more then efficient to kill pigeons over decoys. I've said it before, if I miss a bird or clip one I'm just as likely to do that with a good game cartridge as I would with a trap cartridge. I started off using No 6 32g on pigeon decoying but through research and practical application discovered the ability of the trap cartridge.

Just my thoughts, different horses and courses.....

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

It was shot size I was referring too but I understand.

123shooter wrote: »
    It was shot size I was referring too but I understand.

Absolutely know where your coming from and that's why I mentioned that I used to use game cartridges in No 6 for decoying, because that's what was recommended to me and others around me where using. But when you see and read about others knocking pigeons with trap stuff then it's time to experiment, and if it works then it works.
    Some of the European lads I know use Rottweil 36gr No 7's on their pigeons (see them pop when they get in too close) at about €0.77 a cartridge, now that's an expensive day decoying, but in fairness they don't shoot pigeons like we do here or the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'm using Fiocchi Fblack 7.5 for clays and mags, greys etc.
    Happy with them, and I read somewhere that most Italian 7.t are actually the same as UK 7's. Paying 6.25 a box.

Advertisement