Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who here plays Arma 3?

• 05-09-2016 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

It's not the newest of games I would think but is there many on here that play Arma 3?

More specifically wouls be comfortable with using the editor and scripting?

I'm trying to come up with a pretty simple mission is would think but I'm a complete noob when it comes to using the editor so I was hoping someone on here with a little more knowledge might help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Go here https://forums.bistudio.com/forum/161-arma-3-editing/

I would suggest finding a simple mission and dePBO it and see how it works. Missions can be simple or insanely complex.

Editor is excellent tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 WicMan

Arma's Editor can look intimidating at first.. but it really simple once you figure it out, the 3d editor has made everything so much nicer to use you can make a fairly beefy mission in a few minutes, it really depends on how far you want to go with it. Just start placing units and objects!.

I dunno if you use mods, but if its simple - go here shoot this - type missions your looking for, the MCC mod has a mission maker tool that builds a mission in a few seconds for ya.

Then there is Alive which is a really powerful tool that allows you to build Dynamic Full Map missions - might seem really advanced at first but all you gotta do is place some markers and tweak the modules to your liking, its kinda intended for Servers tho.

Theres hundreds of tutorials out there, best advice tho is to just play around with it, in no time you'll the grips of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I always buy the ARMA games, but they're almost as scary as real war so I don't play them that often. I just end up running around a field, scared, wondering what's going on until something puts me out of my misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

ScumLord wrote: »
    I always buy the ARMA games, but they're almost as scary as real war so I don't play them that often. I just end up running around a field, scared, wondering what's going on until something puts me out of my misery.

That makes me want to buy it even more despite knowing I'd end up doing the exact same thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ScumLord wrote: »

Compared to most shooters ( it's not really a true shooter ) it has a very steep learning curve but once you get into it it's so rewarding to play.

• Advertisement

I have a private 8 man server if anyone wants to play missions, its running Liberation Tanoa PVE unmodded.

8 Players ARMA 3 [173.199.73.201:2302]

Password saints , if boardsies want to play some coop, link me the mission file and when you want to play it.

If anyone joins as is let me know and I will edit the parameters to suit. Liberation is one of the best PVE coop missions ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Hey I'm involved with a fairly large group of mostly Irish lads playing Arma, we run a couple of dedicated servers, most of the guys are between 16-35 and fairly sound bunch, we run custom missions aswell so your ideas would be most welcome and a few of the lads can teach ya how to put the ideas into action, 1stirw.com is the website and our teamspeak and discord are all there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I did it!...kind of...

ok heres what i did

1 - board waiting heli - when everyones aboard radio trigger "Alpha" which ells the heli to takeoff

2 - heli flies you to insertion point, lands and ejects you, when everyones out heli takes off and flies to extraction point where it lands (engines off) and waits for you

3 - when you get to extraction point and board waiting heli radio trigger "Bravo", this tells eli everyone in on board and it takes off and flies back to FOB where mission started, lands and ejects player, turns engines off.

What i'm planning on doing next is adding another trigger that ends the mission when you get out of the heli and walk towards the FOB

Thanks everyone so much for the help, I have ideas to make this mission more interesting but that for another day, for now I'm happy!

Also @ cadete I'm waiting for the server to come back up to join 1stirw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

@OP - Arma 3 is eternal. So many mods, re-playability. Testament to a great engine.

btw, good progress made. Arma script scares me and i learnt Perl.

Any milsim groups other than 1stirw (is it still going?) out there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

is Arma 3 Apex worth getting. was hoping it would have dropped in price by now. seams cheaper buying direct https://store.bistudio.com/category/arma3-apex-products

Sounds good, they have some really cool ideas in the pipeline. It's nice to see the game still getting so much support from the devs 4 years after release. I feel like I only utilise a tiny amount of what you can do with this game. I just play wasteland mostly, with a bit of KOTH and battle royale.

3 million sales @ minimum €20 a pop is why its being supported further.

I wanted an Arma 4 announcement but I will live with the DLC they sound okish, BI really needs to update the engine. I have been playing Wildlands and keep thinking to myself imagine Arma in this...............

I like BI but after 4 years the game should run a lot better than it does without mission makers being forced to implement view distance rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Noticed in the vid that they said they have stuff there not ready to talk about but the vid jumps to someone giving hand signals like on an aircraft carrier,that would be cool.

Hard to believe it's been 4 years already. It doesn't feel like that long ago I was buying the alpha. Maybe we'll get news on Arma 4 this year but considering the amount of stuff they seem to have in the pipeline for arma 3 you'd have to assume it'll be 2018 at the earliest before we get Arma 4 alpha access. A new engine would be nice but I'll definitely need to upgrade my PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The 64 bit update has definitely made framerates more consistent. Zooming in with a scope or binos doesnt seem to cause that sudden framerate drop. Playing KOTH 1944 at the moment, it's a nice change of pace from rainbow 6. That's the great thing about Arma, it keeps on giving.

We still have a public Escape Tanoa server running:
    http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/78.46.47.195:2332/

You can also play the Apex coop missions on it if you want

Well they are adding an aircraft carrier to the game,static object so no driving it around but some interesting stuff like catapult take off and hook landing. Could be quite cool

Looks cool alright. I wonder will it have a full interior?

Anyone else got the zooming in and out bug? I have to mash the + and - keys loads to do it. I hadn't played in a few weeks so I thought they might have fixed it but it's still there for me. There's been several updates since this bug appeared and they still haven't fixed it.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Looks cool alright. I wonder will it have a full interior?

Was wondering this myself,article i read on PCGamer didnt say.

Ive seen modded ones that have lifts and everything to bring the aircraft up from below deck,that would be sweet.

Could see it being used for some cool scenarios as well,weather that be taking off from it to start a mission or assaulting it.

• Advertisement

I can just about land a jet on a normal runway without blowing up, not a hope I'll be able to land on that :pac:

Any irish based Arma 3 milsim groups out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

not many dedicated irish arma groups out there, few that i know of disbanded.

try looking up some of the bigger arma 3 groups for the mil sim experience.
    example of one http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CSG1_USMC_2ND_Batt

Hey bud! remember me at all?

I'll look into them, kinda lked the Irishness of crowds like 1stirw though

Finally got off my arse and got the router all set up so can do a bit of coop arma 3.

Any good scenarios/mods out lately that are worth a try? Havent played in an age. Got the DLC and i know they released coop missions in there just wondering is there any community content i should be eyeing.

908 here

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma3_files_scenarios

I would suggest liberation

it scales very well with low player count and you get to use all the **** in the game.

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/202711-mpcti-coop-liberation-continued/

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think the tanks DLC is out very shortly. I'd love it if some life was breathed back into the game. I'm sick to death of all the Life rpg servers all over the place. Or am I missing out I wonder...

Theres still a load of DayZ style game types out there for it,kinda burnt out on them too.

If im playing Arma now its most likely co op with a friend,works well enough. As long as the AI count doesnt go through the roof performance hit isnt to bad at all. Using something like DUWS and packs like RHS can be great fun. Favourite is assaulting enemy bases from the ground and air at the same time. Ive got all the DLC so far,nothing majorly impressive about any of it but at least it adds variety.

Actually must check for new scenarios using the aircraft carrier

Anyone notice a downgrade in the graphics with this update?

Settings are Ultra @4k and it used to look stunning, now it looks a bit odd like I have dropped a resoultion and textures are jaggy now.

It does add some cool **** to the base game, the new missiles and tanks are amazing, especially if commander in 1st person.

• Advertisement

I love the new wire guided missile launcher. Can't remember what its called, looks a bit like the Metis launcher from arma 2. I managed to take out a Xian with it earlier bf4 style :pac: it was going kinda slow but still! The AWC is so fast as well. Haven't tried the other ones much. I was playing wasteland but Ill jump in the editor at the weekend and give them a go.

Be awhile before i get to play with the tanks for a reasonable amount of time,bloody work!!

Have one or two people ready to setup our own server for a night or two for a bit of fun when we get time. Looking forward to that,next week hopefully!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Wouldn't mind some regular co-op Arma, instead of all the DayZ clones I've been playing.

Are there any Irish servers anymore?

Maximilian wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind some regular co-op Arma, instead of all the DayZ clones I've been playing.

Are there any Irish servers anymore?

I will have a server back up later, cancelled 7 days to die until the next update.

Any mission links?

I really like using DUWS,its an old mission creator but it still does everything i need it to do. Add all the RHS mods and a few maps and you have plenty of choice.

Not sure how to run it on a dedicated server though,i usually just host locally.

8 Players ARMA 3 [173.199.73.46:2302]

Password saints

Co10 Escape is on it, will stick mods on it over the next few days.

RHS and CUP mostly.

Me and Max utterly failed every single time :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, definitely not a 2 man mission...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The silencer can wipe out the guards around you, but without nightvision you don't really know where you're going half the time :D

the_syco wrote: »
    The silencer can wipe out the guards around you, but without nightvision you don't really know where you're going half the time :D

Its random time setting, i was forcing it to morning.

We got kitted out via the soldesr we killed, had decent weapons and scopes then an APC killed us.

Died in the cage, just outside the cage, a little further away from the cage etc:

have gotten maps and NV a few times too, just get overwhelmed with only 2 players. Also maybe fighting everyone is not the best tactic.

EoinHef wrote: »
    I really like using DUWS,its an old mission creator but it still does everything i need it to do. Add all the RHS mods and a few maps and you have plenty of choice.

Not sure how to run it on a dedicated server though,i usually just host locally.

Straightforward enough, add the mission to the server and load the mission using #missions with preferred map selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dreamers75 wrote: »
    have gotten maps and NV a few times too, just get overwhelmed with only 2 players. Also maybe fighting everyone is not the best tactic.
    Opened the door, waited for the alarm to stop, and then I picked them off with head shots using the silenced pistol through the gate. It was fairly dark, though. Whacked a civilian, and then someone else shot me (had no nightvision).
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its random time setting, i was forcing it to morning.
    Yup, it was random time with me. Good fun, though. But as said, you need more than one person.

• Advertisement

Got to the part where we knew the location for the exfil and got mortared.

17,000 points between us :(

We need more players, have the server running with the 4 RHS mods if anyone wants to join morrow.

8 Players ARMA 3 [173.199.73.153:2302] password stoko

Liberation on Livonia, no mods yet but will add RHS to it tomorrow.

If a few join can switch to the Escape mission mentioned above (we actually completed it a few times but on the smaller maps like Malden) never on Altis.

Advertisement