Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new contract

Options
  • 05-09-2016 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭

I was recently handed a new contract at work, which i will not be signing as it changes the terms and conditions of my employment.

A former colleague mentioned to me a while back that you need to tell HR that you are not signing it or else they can take it as being accepted. Surely this cannot be true???

Do i need to actively tell my hr dept that i am not signing it, and why, or is it ok for me to just not sign it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭gmg678

I did the same thing with an old job, they changed my contract I didn't sign it didn't say anything so they took it as I signed it. eneded with me handing in my notice when it came to work parameters around the new one. I don't think legally they can take it as signed but I do think you need to inform them that you are not signing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

AFAIK it means you have accepted the new contract by working under its terms. By continuing to work after the date of the new contract, you have accepted it.
    You need to inform them that you do accept this contract and you will continue to work under the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

My 2c.

Do not be confrontational or indeed passive aggressive about this issue.

Take the new contract, identify the changes in that contract and red-line it. Highlight the items that you are willing to accept. For any items that you are not willing to accept either red-line the contract to provide alternate wording that is acceptable or indeed add clarifying text to the to the item outlining under what conditions you are willing to accept the item. If you feel that the new conditions are significantly more work or more responsible duties that merit a raise then edit the salary/wage also. If this is a change in shift pattern that you cannot do due to other commitments then open up a discussion with your direct manager.

You are then in a negotiation with your employer, not in a conflict situation. This will also show that you tried to be reasonable and considered the new contract offered should thinks not be resolved amicably.

You have not given any detail of the change, so detailed advice is difficult, provide some detail on the key issues and perhaps folks can give a little advice on how best to move forward.

Simply not responding is not the best course of action.
    Moving immediately to conflict is the worst course of action.
    Both limit your options faster that needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

There's no requirement for you to sign the contract of employment.

On the other hand, your employer can't change the terms of your employment without your permission.

If you work under the new terms, you've accepted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

My 2c.

Do not be confrontational or indeed passive aggressive about this issue.

Take the new contract, identify the changes in that contract and red-line it. Highlight the items that you are willing to accept. For any items that you are not willing to accept either red-line the contract to provide alternate wording that is acceptable or indeed add clarifying text to the to the item outlining under what conditions you are willing to accept the item. If you feel that the new conditions are significantly more work or more responsible duties that merit a raise then edit the salary/wage also. If this is a change in shift pattern that you cannot do due to other commitments then open up a discussion with your direct manager.

You are then in a negotiation with your employer, not in a conflict situation. This will also show that you tried to be reasonable and considered the new contract offered should thinks not be resolved amicably.

You have not given any detail of the change, so detailed advice is difficult, provide some detail on the key issues and perhaps folks can give a little advice on how best to move forward.

Simply not responding is not the best course of action.
    Moving immediately to conflict is the worst course of action.
    Both limit your options faster that needed.

Very sound advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement