Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Less than two weeks till Coachella kicks off, will try and link a stream if they are streaming it, but it gets the excitement level going as its the first festival of the summer really. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Am o the only one who thinks the line up is absolute shjte?? Who are half of them??

You are not the only one, but I think you are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Anybody see christy moore in 2012?? I'd love to see him this year

I did; totally brilliant. Clashed with Sigur Ros, and Ed Sheeran.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

alastair wrote: »
    ... but I'm a sucker for 4Hero style dance/jazz noodlings.
    Personally I'd would prefer early to mid 90s 4-Hero/ Tek-9/ Ruffige-Kru instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

In a sleuthing mood...was about to throw my bottom dollar on Franz Ferdinand being in the next line up, but they're over in Italy on the 1st and the 2nd September.

Not a big fan, but Take Me Out would liven me up on Sunday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

GidCudi wrote: »
    In a sleuthing mood...was about to throw my bottom dollar on Franz Ferdinand being in the next line up, but they're over in Italy on the 1st and the 2nd September.

Not a big fan, but Take Me Out would liven me up on Sunday evening

Would like but the logistics don't really stack up as they're in Lux on the 5th so would have to peg it across Yurp for the Sunday night and then half way back for the next date, if they were playing the UK next then it might make sense.
    (I know flights are cheap but touring gear is large and heavy)

Currently listening to Goldfrapps newie, more of the same from them, nice.

(I suspect we'll get Flaming lips)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

When's the next announcement likely, mid-May?

I'm also surprised that people are so pessimistic about some more major acts being announced or EP's ability to snag them. The travel costs & logistics may be prohibitive compared to the UK or mainland European fests but EP is now big enough to land almost any act that's playing festivals on any given Summer. We wouldn't get three biggies as per other festivals but we should yearly be getting one or two. By my reckoning (and I'll happily stand corrected) the Picnic now creeps into the biggest 20 festivals on the planet in terms of daily attendance. As far as I can work out only Glasto, Reading/Leeds, Exit, Pinkpop, Pukklepop, Coachella, Electric Daisy Chain, Werchter, Roskilde, Big Day Out, Exit, Open'er, Sziget, Rock al Parque & Rock in Rio are bigger. 

Oxegen (for all its faults) had great headliners on most years with a capacity not much more than EP so my overall point is that we should expect, and may still get, strong headliners.

The undercard is extremely strong thus far but alongside the likes of Phoenix, Mary Chain & Flaming Lips I still think we'll get someone from Muse/Kasabian/Jamiroquai/Foals. Only the last would really interest me, but the first three would cheer up a few punters and I'd probably stroll along for a while.

Anway, all soon to be revealed. Enjoy your week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭endainoz

So after the dust has settled from the first announcement, had time to listen to the spotify playlist and very impressed.

Always love finding someone new and really liking Run the Jewels so far but more digging and research is needed. The initial announcement is always full of hype and it rarely lives up to it with the excitement that's built around it.

I remember a couple of year ago a smart poster here said that EP will eventually become an event like the galway races in saying that it's just something that people need to do, that's embedded into the national physche. They couldn't have been more right with the way it's gone the last few years. EP guaranteed to sell out most years because of this popularity. The consequence of course is that the more casual fan expects the picnic to have the best possible line up with big names and when it doesn't happen they go moaning on facebook for our amusement or even go and give out on Matt Cooper ffs. I swear they were this close to getting on to Joe Duffy.

Anyways, I'm glad there appealing to the older fan, really hope this will get rid of the scumbag factor that has been slowly increasing over the last few years.

Looking forward to seeing the likes of Madness, Duran Duran, Pete Tong, London Grammar, ATCQ, The Pretenders, parquet courts and loads of others that I'll enjoy discovering between now and September.

Is Tong's gig similar to the Jenny Greene set up from last year, basically himself and an orchestra.

Is Tong's gig similar to the Jenny Greene set up from last year, basically himself and an orchestra.

From the footage I caught from the London O2 it's exactly that, but with the orchestra much clearer. I'd not be surprised to see them finish the Sat night on the main stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    From the footage I caught from the London O2 it's exactly that, but with the orchestra much clearer. I'd not be surprised to see them finish the Sat night on the main stage.

Or could they be the Friday night dancey dancey slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Except that this is the Heritage Orchestra who are famous for their collaborations with various artists.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Orchestra

When's the next announcement likely, mid-May?

I'm also surprised that people are so pessimistic about some more major acts being announced or EP's ability to snag them. The travel costs & logistics may be prohibitive compared to the UK or mainland European fests but EP is now big enough to land almost any act that's playing festivals on any given Summer. We wouldn't get three biggies as per other festivals but we should yearly be getting one or two. By my reckoning (and I'll happily stand corrected) the Picnic now creeps into the biggest 20 festivals on the planet in terms of daily attendance. As far as I can work out only Glasto, Reading/Leeds, Exit, Pinkpop, Pukklepop, Coachella, Electric Daisy Chain, Werchter, Roskilde, Big Day Out, Exit, Open'er, Sziget, Rock al Parque & Rock in Rio are bigger. 

Oxegen (for all its faults) had great headliners on most years with a capacity not much more than EP so my overall point is that we should expect, and may still get, strong headliners.

The undercard is extremely strong thus far but alongside the likes of Phoenix, Mary Chain & Flaming Lips I still think we'll get someone from Muse/Kasabian/Jamiroquai/Foals. Only the last would really interest me, but the first three would cheer up a few punters and I'd probably stroll along for a while.

Anway, all soon to be revealed. Enjoy your week.

The second announcement was on June 2nd last year. Noel Gallagher, 1975, Nas, the Shins, Bat For Lashes, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Local Natives, Joey Badass, Editors, John Talabot and many others were announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

The second announcement was on June 2nd last year. Noel Gallagher, 1975, Nas, the Shins, Bat For Lashes, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Local Natives, Joey Badass, Editors, John Talabot and many others were announced.

It'll probably be later than that this year seen as the initial lineup was announced so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

We've got 7 acts announced for the Salty Dog stage from the Salty Dog Trials that were held in Boyles in Slane.

Created By Comets, The Trinity Belles, The Skatueques , Papa Rua, DD Allen, Cornerboy and Nix Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Royal Blood are a support act for GnR as well as Mark Lanegan Band and Otherkin.

Sweeeeet.

Thought Royal Blood might be too 'heavy' for EP but now I'll get to see them anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Oxegen held 80,000 people. EP gets 50,000. We aren't going to get megastar headliners in the second announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Was Oxegen 80,000. I know it felt big, but Christ it never felt that big.

Its weird its a much smaller area for 30,000 more people, practically another pre 2012 EP capacity. Its basically the racecourse with all the stages contained therein stalls sandwiched in the middle with the carnival at the top. No green tree areas, raves in the woods, trenchtowns, trailer park nor Body & Soul.

The pre 2012 Picnic was very spacious compared for what was it, 32,500 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

For me it only ever looked that big when you were standing in front of a sea of people at the main stage. Otherwise the other large stages broke up the crowd. Remember there was a second open air stage as well!

oxg.jpg

Look at that spread of area in front of the main stage. I used to love being in the middle of that.

• Advertisement

Oxegen held 80,000 people. EP gets 50,000. We aren't going to get megastar headliners in the second announcement.
    Oxegen was 50,000 - 60,000 according to Wikipedia, efestivals & Wiki festivals.
    EP is 55,000. Thus little difference.
    And in terms of later announced major acts we've had Blur & The Killers amongst others in the past five years. Keep the faith man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Oxegen was definitely 80k capacity.
    it was 50,000 for the final year when it went all out EDM/pop.

Oxegen was definitely 80k.
    Possibly one year, only source I can get for that is a Jim Carroll article. I've found efestivals to be the most reliable source of info for festivals information and they say 50,0000.
    Capacity though seems to have fluctuated, as with EP, and ended up as 40,000.

Possibly one year, only source I can get for that is a Jim Carroll article. Capacity seems to have fluctuated and ended up as 40,000.
    there are plenty of sources, Irish Times, Examiner, Independent, RTE, Newstalk, Hot Press etc etc:
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=oxegen+80,000&ie=utf-8

obviously any year it didn't sell out it would be less, but the licence was for 80,000, so any year it sold out there were 80,000 on site, around 2005-2008 it definitely regularly sold out.

Possibly one year, only source I can get for that is a Jim Carroll article. Capacity seems to have fluctuated and ended up as 40,000.

I always thought it to be an 80,000 event until of course its last year, sure it shared the same acts with T in the park in Scotland on in the same weekend and T was also an 80,000 capacity per day event.

there are plenty of sources, Irish Times, Examiner, Independent, RTE, Newstalk, Hot Press etc etc:
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=oxegen+80,000&ie=utf-8

obviously any year it didn't sell out it would be less, but the licence was for 80,000, so any year it sold out there were 80,000 on site, around 2005-2008 it definitely regularly sold out.
    Here's the same for 60,000. Irish Times, Independent, Wikipedia, Daily Edge, etc. 

https://www.google.ie/search?q=oxegen+80,000&ie=utf-8#q=oxegen+60,000&*

I'm not saying it was never 80,000 but that it wasn't 80,000 every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Possibly one year, only source I can get for that is a Jim Carroll article. I've found efestivals to be the most reliable source of info for festivals information and they say 50,0000.
    Capacity though seems to have fluctuated, as with EP, and ended up as 40,000.

The last year ended up at 40k because they had no money left to put on the same full festival as they had before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Oxegen was 80,000 tickets overall wasn't it?

So that'd be a mix of camping and day/two day passes, leading an on-site capacity of, say, 50-60,000 on any one day?

That's what I always thought, though I'm open to correction.

Here's the same for 60,000:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=oxegen+80,000&ie=utf-8#q=oxegen+60,000&*
    I'm not saying it was never 80,000 but that it wasn't 80,000 every year.
    well yeah, as I said, any year it didn't sell out it wasn't 80,000.
    from that link you posted, it was "more than 60,000" in 2004, 70,000 in 2009, and 60,000 in 2011.

several years it sold out at 80,000 capacity for which there are numerous sources, not just 1 year referenced by a Jim Carroll article.

• Advertisement

Oxegen was 80,000 tickets overall wasn't it?

So that'd be a mix of camping and day/two day passes, leading an on-site capacity of, say, 50-60,000 on any one day?

That's what I always thought, though I'm open to correction.

from 2006:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/80-000-music-fans-gather-for-oxegen-festival-1.789702
    The 80,000 Oxegen tickets released last March sold out in just two days. The majority of people, about 70,000, bought tickets which include campsite access. According to the event's promoters MCD, site facilities have been improved this year and, in addition to screenings of the World Cup matches, hot showers are available for the first time.

so 80,000 per day, 70k campers, 10k day-trippers.

Advertisement