Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

My first festivals were in 2001 (Witnness, Creamfields) when I was 16. I met a number friends of friends at both festivals that were in their 40s. To think that some of those lads are in their 60s now. I can't get my head around it. I know it's such a trite thing to say, but life is so bloody short. Let's make the best of EP 2017!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Capacity at Oxegen was 80k. That 60k figure above refers to the first day only, they used to sell 2-day and 3-day tickets so the Friday was always quieter.

That's 60% larger than EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Capacity at Oxegen was 80k. That 60k figure above refers to the first day only, they used to sell 2-day and 3-day tickets so the Friday was always quieter.

That's 60% larger than EP.

EP is 55,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

kg703 wrote: »
    Royal Blood are a support act for GnR as well as Mark Lanegan Band and Otherkin.

Sweeeeet.

Thought Royal Blood might be too 'heavy' for EP ......

....never!! Heard/seen heavier at EP! They'd be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I agree! Well I may agree, will see after May :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

My first festival was Feile 1992 in Thurles. I was 18, there was one stage and Liberty Square full of packed pubs and chip vans was our body and soul area. My last festival was Feile in Cork in 1995, the first time I saw pills in full swing. I haven't been to a festival since, no reason just haven't done it. Going to EP this year, bought tickets in October, me and 4 other Feile veterans. Not overjoyed about the Saturday and Sunday headliners but the undercard is really strong.
    Any advice out there for a first timer (and relatively old-timer)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

- Arrive as early as you can on the friday, especially if coming from Dublin.

- Bring layers of warm clothes, even in good weather it can get baltic at night.

- Print off a map to bring with you, and go around to all the little areas like Trenchtown, Salty Dog & especially Body & Soul early on the first day to get your bearings. Easy to miss these if you just go to and from the main stage/tents every day, and they have some great gigs after midnight.

- Don't camp in Hendrix or Wilde if you value your sanity, go for Joplin or the Eco campsite if you can get it.

- Bring earplugs, eye-mask and an airbed. You're at that age now :P

- Don't horse into the drink non-stop on any of the days, you'll end up lost, scared and alone in the dark!

- Use the showers, they're free, good, and queues are fast moving. They'll bring you back to life when half an hour earlier you only felt like crying.

- Use the freshly washed portaloos in the main arena when it opens at 12 if you don't want to have another shower.

- Hip-flasks from the €2 shop to smuggle whiskey into the main arena.

- If you've got an old Nokia 3210 knocking about bring and use that.

- Pie Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Think Pie Minister were gone last year.
    Spreece wrote: »

My full checklist, slightly updated

1 - Ticket, the most important thing
    2 - Tent + Sleeping bag (unless you're posh camping it, in which case just sleeping bag)
    3 - Self inflating mat for sleeping bag (keeps you off the ground which can be really cold at night)
    4 - Walking boots (you're going to be on your feet for 3 days solid, racking up a lot of milage, comfy, protected feets are best feets)
    ***NOTE OF CAUTION : Do not buy boots and break them in at the festival, you'll **** your feet up.***
    5 - Camping chair, see #4, when you stop, you will want to rest your arse, do it in luxury
    6 - Rain gear (you want to have it but not use it)
    7 - Hat, I bring two, one for the sun and one for at night (no hair = v.cold head)
    8 - Spare clothes (kept in car for emergencies), clean fresh socks every day people, even if you don't change anything else!
    9 - Fleece type garment for the nights (again, it gets cold down there)
    10 - Plastic bags for wet gear, should the nasty happen, you will need these, also good for tent bin.
    11 - torch (I take two, a small v.powerful hand held and a head lamp type, might be overkill but it is handy)
    12 - Spare batteries for torches, I fit fresh ones in before the weekend and keep spares in the car
    13 - Towel (for when hitching a lift from the Vogons), I bring two with me, both large microfiber towels which fold down to nothin, one stays in car though with spare clothes
    14 - Beer/Spirits (note, for spirits I just want a few whiskeys late at night so I decant my poison of choice into a metal water flask before leaving house, you don't want to be arsed with carting glass bottles down there and then having to decant. Do it at home and breeze through security).
    15 - Cold bag for #14
    16 - Tent food, usually just pack a box of breakfast type bars, there are so many different food offerings in the main arena that you are not gonna go hungry
    17 - Portable phone charger (aim for a minimum of 10,000mAh or higher (15,000mAh if there's more than one of you hanging off it)) and don't forget your micro usb/lightning cables
    18 - Water, if you are moving all day and drinking then you need lots of water, usually pick up a 6 pack of 1.5lt bottles, 3 in car, 3 in tent (water is heavy so no point killing self carrying an extra 9kg in on top of the rest)
    19 - ear plugs for sleeping at night (boots have lots of silicon/waxy types)
    20 - gig/music ear plugs for those of us who don't want to go deaf
    21 - Lighter, even if you don't smoke, it's very handy to have
    22 - Cash, there are ATMs on site, do no rely on them to be full or not mobbed by the rampaging hordes of the walking dead trying to get cash out to get a cocktail
    23 - Small packets of wetwipes and or bottles of hand sanitiser to have on you all day
    24 - Packet of large wet wipes for quickie freshing up in the tent
    25 - chapstick / sun protection spray / aftersun (keeping hopes up) skin moisturiser (you might be roughing it a little but you don't need to be roughed up)
    26 - bog roll x 2 (one in tent, one in car)
    27 - toilet wipes (I am v.large male in mid 40s but they make my festival botty uber smooth and clean)
    28 - "Box of balloons
    With the feather-light touch
    Pack of party-poppers
    That pop in the night" *
    29 - toiletries (roll on smellies only, shower gel, toothbrush, toothpaste)
    30 - Pain killers of choice, a packet of rennie/antacid type thing and just in case a packet of immodium or cheaper generic ****stopper
    31 - first aid kit (you should have one in your car anyway but if not then get one)
    32 - vitamin pills/ berocca type thingy for in the morning
    33 - dioralyte for with your water before bedtime
    34 - sunglasses (gots to be funky)
    35 - small bag for during day (do not use a backpack in crowds, that's a paddlin)
    36 - neck gaiter/warmer can be handy in the evening if it's cold
    37 - camping pillow
    38 - small pair of field glasses are right handy
    39 - flipflops for shower time (best not to wear into the bogs though or to walk around the main bog areas in them cos squealchy)
    40 - Pair of runners to be left in car, nothing beats that aaaaaaah feeling as you slide your wear feets into comfy happiness on a monday morning before you get nicked for drunk driving which leads us to
    41 - Alcohol breathalyser test kit for in the car, you get them in halfords, don't be a dick and ruin your or someone elses life on a monday morning
    42 - Ziplock bags, they keep "small things" stuff fresh and dry and odd smells in.

And just to add a list of what not to bring -

1 - CANDLES - be cool, don't be crispy
    2 - FLARES - be cool, don't be shot to death with balls of your own sh1te for being "that" tosser
    3 - GUITAR - any attempts at wonderwall will result in you being shot to death with balls of your own sh1te
    4 - SENSE OF SHAME - it's not needed for the weekend
    5 - CAMERA - live the bloody moment, don't try to be Senor Speilbergo capturing it

* #28 is actually appropriate this year

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mcbee88

May the lord have mercy on us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They were, but there's a local outfit Pieman or something that was just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

MJohnston wrote: »
    They were, but there's a local outfit Pieman or something that was just as good.

I knew i'd gotten a pie at some stage, that must have been it.

'Watching' Young Fathers on YouTube. Never really heard them before, but I would say within 30 secs (fickle, moi?!), I knew I was gonna like this! Serious flavour of Bloc Party off them. Also, bit of Massive Attack - but I see they toured with them, so I guess rubbed off! 
    That's quite a list, btw!

...or maybe even TV on the Radio (weirdly)?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Tis a smidgen early for the lists lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

mgkelly wrote: »
    'Watching' Young Fathers on YouTube. Never really heard them before, but I would say within 30 secs (fickle, moi?!), I knew I was gonna like this! Serious flavour of Bloc Party off them. Also, bit of Massive Attack - but I see they toured with them, so I guess rubbed off! 

They appear a few times on the Trainspotting 2 soundtrack...delighted they were added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They also released a track with Massive Attack last year, which is well worth a listen. Don't see the Bloc Party vibe myself, though.

Young Fathers should be close to the top of everyone's 'must see' list IMO.

Caught them on Body & Soul a few years back just after Tune-Yards (I'm bad at remembering years!!) and it stands out as one of my favourite ever gigs. I wasn't overly familiar with them - it was before the Mercury nod - and just knew a few songs but wow...

Snarky Snark Snark

Tis a smidgen early for the lists lads

fail to plan, plan to fail.

(god I love the smell of management aphorisms early in the morning, smells like... smells like... coffee time).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Young Fathers played late night on B&S main stage about 3 years back, bloody excellent. Tune Yards played directly after them and I do believe it was the best back to back festival sets I have ever seen in my life (which is long). Maybe Rory Gallagher followed by U2 at Punchestown 1982 was close.

Saw them again supporting Massive Attack last year in the Olympia and in fairness they were the better band on the night (IMNSVHO).

- Use the freshly washed portaloos in the main arena when it opens at 12 if you don't want to have another shower.

I read this as "use the freshly washed potatoes in the main arena ..."

I was a bit confused for a minute there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I read this as "use the freshly washed potatoes in the main arena ..."

I was a bit confused for a minute there.

me too. Think my brain turned to mash...

• Advertisement

They also released a track with Massive Attack last year, which is well worth a listen. Don't see the Bloc Party vibe myself, though.

Young Fathers should be close to the top of everyone's 'must see' list IMO.

Caught them on Body & Soul a few years back just after Tune-Yards (I'm bad at remembering years!!) and it stands out as one of my favourite ever gigs. I wasn't overly familiar with them - it was before the Mercury nod - and just knew a few songs but wow...
    Yeah, as I listened more, lost the Bloc Party feel. Think it was one of the vocalists, maybe. The track with Massive Attack is excellent. Saw the video for it on YouTube last night. Bit mad. Woman in a multicoloured underpass, with a weird orb like thing dragging her around with a laser beam. Nice!

Remember the Tuneyards gig. Was very good. Wandered off after! Should have stayed. Probably went to see some silly mainstream nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

2 - Tent + Sleeping bag (unless you're posh camping it, in which case just sleeping bag)
    3 - Self inflating mat for sleeping bag (keeps you off the ground which can be really cold at night)
    4 - Walking boots (you're going to be on your feet for 3 days solid, racking up a lot of milage, comfy, protected feets are best feets)
    ***NOTE OF CAUTION : Do not buy boots and break them in at the festival, you'll **** your feet up.***
    5 - Camping chair, see #4, when you stop, you will want to rest your arse, do it in luxury
    7 - Hat, I bring two, one for the sun and one for at night (no hair = v.cold head)
    8 - Spare clothes (kept in car for emergencies), clean fresh socks every day people, even if you don't change anything else!
    10 - Plastic bags for wet gear, should the nasty happen, you will need these, also good for tent bin.
    11 - torch (I take two, a small v.powerful hand held and a head lamp type, might be overkill but it is handy)
    12 - Spare batteries for torches, I fit fresh ones in before the weekend and keep spares in the car
    13 - Towel (for when hitching a lift from the Vogons), I bring two with me, both large microfiber towels which fold down to nothin, one stays in car though with spare clothes
    14 - Beer/Spirits (note, for spirits I just want a few whiskeys late at night so I decant my poison of choice into a metal water flask before leaving house, you don't want to be arsed with carting glass bottles down there and then having to decant. Do it at home and breeze through security).
    15 - Cold bag for #14
    16 - Tent food, usually just pack a box of breakfast type bars, there are so many different food offerings in the main arena that you are not gonna go hungry
    17 - Portable phone charger (aim for a minimum of 10,000mAh or higher (15,000mAh if there's more than one of you hanging off it)) and don't forget your micro usb/lightning cables
    18 - Water, if you are moving all day and drinking then you need lots of water, usually pick up a 6 pack of 1.5lt bottles, 3 in car, 3 in tent (water is heavy so no point killing self carrying an extra 9kg in on top of the rest)
    22 - Cash, there are ATMs on site, do no rely on them to be full or not mobbed by the rampaging hordes of the walking dead trying to get cash out to get a cocktail
    23 - Small packets of wetwipes and or bottles of hand sanitiser to have on you all day
    25 - chapstick / sun protection spray / aftersun (keeping hopes up) skin moisturiser (you might be roughing it a little but you don't need to be roughed up)
    27 - toilet wipes (I am v.large male in mid 40s but they make my festival botty uber smooth and clean)
    28 - "Box of balloons
    Pack of party-poppers
    That pop in the night" *
    30 - Pain killers of choice, a packet of rennie/antacid type thing and just in case a packet of immodium or cheaper generic ****stopper
    31 - first aid kit (you should have one in your car anyway but if not then get one)
    35 - small bag for during day (do not use a backpack in crowds, that's a paddlin)
    37 - camping pillow
    39 - flipflops for shower time (best not to wear into the bogs though or to walk around the main bog areas in them cos squealchy)
    40 - Pair of runners to be left in car, nothing beats that aaaaaaah feeling as you slide your wear feets into comfy happiness on a monday morning before you get nicked for drunk driving which leads us to
    41 - Alcohol breathalyser test kit for in the car, you get them in halfords, don't be a dick and ruin your or someone elses life on a monday morning

2 - FLARES - be cool, don't be shot to death with balls of your own sh1te for being "that" tosser
    3 - GUITAR - any attempts at wonderwall will result in you being shot to death with balls of your own sh1te
    5 - CAMERA - live the bloody moment, don't try to be Senor Speilbergo capturing it

That's an astonishing list Scruff. Remind me to take you with me when I finally decide to scale the Matterhorn.

15 - Cold bag for #14
    28 - "Box of balloons
    Pack of party-poppers
    That pop in the night" *
    37 - camping pillow

That's an astonishing list Scruff. Remind me to take you with me when I finally decide to scale the Matterhorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What's with number 28? I had to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It's a line from house of fun by Madness, who are playing this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

everlast75 wrote: »

Dunno to celebrate the New Year or scruff monkey's birthday? :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

It's a line from house of fun by Madness, who are playing this year

BINGO!

And it's about filth!!! Buying yer first pack of rubbers so it is.

(children Ted, dealing with children so we are!)
    Seathrun66 wrote: »

It's actually all mostly small light stuff too, I load up like a pack mule and make it in one trip, the heaviest stuff is always the liquids.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Madness playing. 
    And the advised protection is probably unnecessary given the booze to be consumed.

Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Madness playing. 
    And the advised protection is probably unnecessary given the booze to be consumed.

oTospmU.jpg

• Advertisement

excellent list with one clear omission (pretty sure I said this last year also):

Ziploc bags - so many uses its silly. Keep your skins dry, and keep your voddy hidden (triple wrap recommended for 100% success).

Advertisement