Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Korn followed by Major Lazer followed by Eminem.......

What a strange mix

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That lineup is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Judes wrote: »
    No - wasn't alco a group of 4 ladies (I say loosely) one collapsed on the ground, and her equally stoned friends danced on top of her and shoved a ciggie in her mouth, thankfully we didn't bend down to help - I know drunk and they weren't drunk. There was a lot of aggression - not an accidental punch - a full blown purposely drawn punch. This year when the "young 'uns" surge forward and knock us off our feet, we shall keep going towards the back.

Again, it there was more security around the main stage area - they could prevent the young ones trampling us to get to the front - half way through a performance.

I know, I'm showing my age - but the whole selling point about Electric Picnic was it's a family friendly festival - another reason why I'm thrilled with the line up. The young ones won't be so enthusiastic to get there. We have to start reclaiming events and not be trampled on :D
    "stoned" normally refers to people who have been over indulging in the weed or its derivatives. What you describe does not sound like the behaviour of "stoned" people. "Off their heads on some concoction of god knows what", but not stoned.

Young ladies driving through crowds to get to the front of stages is a bit annoying, but I don't think that is related to being "stoned". Its just bad manners.

Aggressive idiots will be aggressive idiots no matter what they're taking, but I must say that I've never seen a stone person throwing a punch, whereas barely a weekend goes by where I don't see two drunk clowns getting dragged away from each other.

Pills and powders can bring out a bit more aggro, but it's still at a bare minimum when compared to alcohol. If someone as much as looked at me twice while I was rolling I'd walk to the other end of the festival to avoid confrontation.

Drugs can make you terrified of arguments, sometimes for the worse. I hate trouble but you simply have to speak up for yourself at times. However there's been more than one occasion where I sucked up people's ridicule and bull**** just because I was off my head and terrified of trouble. If I could turn back the clock I'd have stood my ground.

If you see trouble at a festival, or in any other social setting for that matter, 99% of the time you're looking at people that can't drink. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MadYaker wrote: »
    That lineup is awful.
    And Liam Gallagher as sub-headliner?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Something something ewwwwww something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Something something ewwwwww something
    I'll decipher those lyrics for you when he's in the Electric Arena in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Paleblood wrote: »
    Aggressive idiots will be aggressive idiots no matter what they're taking, but I must say that I've never seen a stone person throwing a punch, whereas barely a weekend goes by where I don't see two drunk clowns getting dragged away from each other.

Pills and powders can bring out a bit more aggro, but it's still at a bare minimum when compared to alcohol. If someone as much as looked at me twice while I was rolling I'd walk to the other end of the festival to avoid confrontation.

Drugs can make you terrified of arguments, sometimes for the worse. I hate trouble but you simply have to speak up for yourself at times. However there's been more than one occasion where I sucked up people's ridicule and bull**** just because I was off my head and terrified of trouble. If I could turn back the clock I'd have stood my ground.

If you see trouble at a festival, or in any other social setting for that matter, 99% of the time you're looking at people that can't drink. Simple as that.

It's a statistical inevitability. More people drink, so more people causing aggro will have been drinking than taking pills.

But that is not a function of pills themselves (or alcohol). If there's a cnut lurking beneath the surface, that cnut is coming out when his/her inhibitions are lowered and whether it's alcohol or pills it makes no odds.

Alcohol doesn't make you violent, it just impairs your judgement so you don't care about the social norms or possible consequences of punching some guy in the face. But that only makes a difference if you're the sort of person who, underneath it all, wants to punch someone else in the face for little or no reason. Some guy on E or coke is exactly the same.

Weed is a different case of course.

It's a statistical inevitability. More people drink, so more people causing aggro will have been drinking than taking pills.

But that is not a function of pills themselves (or alcohol). If there's a cnut lurking beneath the surface, that cnut is coming out when his/her inhibitions are lowered and whether it's alcohol or pills it makes no odds.

Alcohol doesn't make you violent, it just impairs your judgement so you don't care about the social norms or possible consequences of punching some guy in the face. But that only makes a difference if you're the sort of person who, underneath it all, wants to punch someone else in the face for little or no reason. Some guy on E or coke is exactly the same.

Weed is a different case of course.

I don't accept that. I've spent the best part of 20 years hovering around dance tents. I've been to 30,000 strong dance festivals where 95% of the people were ****ed. There's been trouble, but not very much. It's my experience that 10,000 people on the beer will cause significantly more trouble than the same number of people on pills. Of course that's only my anecdotal experience but I'm quite satisfied that it's not a matter of statistics. Alcohol lends itself to violence in a way that ecstasy does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't accept that. I've spent the best part of 20 years hovering around dance tents. I've been to 30,000 strong dance festivals where 95% of the people were ****ed. There's been trouble, but not very much. It's my experience that 10,000 people on the beer will cause significantly more trouble than the same number of people on pills. Of course that's only my anecdotal experience but I'm quite satisfied that it's not a matter of statistics. Alcohol lends itself to violence in a way that ecstasy does not.

In my experience the young uns aren't really using the friendlies like weed/acid/pills though, they're doing ket, drone, coke, or mystery powders. Not as nice unfortunately.

Snarky Snark Snark

Drone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hope Liam G doesnt get announced for EP (i know i would not have to watch him but he wont be able to top Noel).

Surely it would make more sense to have Korn headline the 2nd stage at R&L. But overall the R&L is shocking

MJohnston wrote: »
    In my experience the young uns aren't really using the friendlies like weed/acid/pills though, they're doing ket, drone, coke, or mystery powders. Not as nice unfortunately.

Yeah, that's very fair. Pills have gotten stronger and cleaner in recent years, yet the attitude and vibe amongst the crowd doesn't alwsys reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Duran Duran should have made the EP bill years ago. Great to see them on it now. Younger folk may be surprised at how many tunes they will know. They are a fab live act and very entertaining.

I have no tickets despite my 9 year daughter expecting to see DD in the 3 Arena this year. Ah well!

Drone?

I've no idea what that is either but I'm quite certain I've taken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Mephedrone, was a legal high before they banned it. like a mix of mdma and coke. referred to sometimes as m-cat, or according to the hysterical tabloids and no-one in the real-world "meow meow".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone

The idea that ecstasy is a happy drug and the worst side effect is a desire to give everyone sweaty hugs is a total urban myth.

The idea that ecstasy is a happy drug and the worst side effect is a desire to give everyone sweaty hugs is a total urban myth.

Has anybody actually said that on here?

Has anybody actually said that on here?

Grand so. It seemed people were dismissing the idea that the poster was attacked by someone on drugs, but if we agree that they do indeed cause increased aggression in some people then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well then it's not ecstacy.

back in my day...:pac:

Christ that's 18years ago:(:(:(

• Advertisement

if we agree that they do indeed cause increased aggression in some people then fair enough.

I suggested that in my very first post.

Ecstasy is also know as a dance drug but for the past 12 years the first thing I feel like doing is lying down on the ground. Who knows what's in pills these days. Concentrated Calpol by the sounds of it.

Ecstasy is also know as a dance drug but for the past 12 years the first thing I feel like doing is lying down on the ground. Who knows what's in pills these days. Concentrated Calpol by the sounds of it.

God only knows but there a long way from a Mitsubishi...

I'll be playing it safe with copious amounts Rum and coke....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Grand so. It seemed people were dismissing the idea that the poster was attacked by someone on drugs, but if we agree that they do indeed cause increased aggression in some people then fair enough.

Specifically I think people were dismissing the idea that they were attached by someone who was stoned, not just any drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Rather tedious tangent the threads been on for the last while.

Here's Run the Jewels behind a Tiny Desk.

Snarky Snark Snark

Yess, back to music and whinging about music and whinging about the price of pints to accompany said music.

We should start to see the "anymore acts to be announced / there will be further announcements" back and forth on bukeface soons.

Any word on the throw back band, I'm going to call Tiffany as a possibility she seems to be doing a few gigs this side of the pond during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any word on the throw back band, I'm going to call Tiffany as a possibility she seems to be doing a few gigs this side of the pond during the summer.

Is that the shopping mall pop star from way back, definitely for the Electric Ireland stage I'd say if that happens.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

yea that's her, she likes tumbling to the ground must have the same dealer as paleblood:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Boardmasters festival in Cornwall has a few interesting acts, hopefully we might see some of these at the Picnic. I definitely think that DJ Shadow is due a return as he hasn't played since 2011 and wouldn't mind Ziggy Marley either. I wondering what reggae act will make the Sunday slot in the afternoon.

58de0ed6085a5_boardmastersting.jpg.8f2d740443bfeeb9c7eedc2028258127.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement