Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

MJohnston wrote: »
    There has been no talk of it at all. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's likelier that EP 2018 will take place on the moon.
    No chance.

Paleblood wrote: »
    I've no idea what that is either but I'm quite certain I've taken it.
    Talking of drone, here's a band that will never ever ever play EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nViPpDsYKSc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

That's some weapons grade sh1te right there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I think you're right, but if not Kasabian then Muse/Foals/Jamiroquai.

You can't slash Muse/Foals with Jamiroquai, they're a completely different mug of fish.

Imo Muse aren't an EP act anymore, Foals I dunno maybe but they're not bigger than Tribe, Kasabian would be similar to Muse in not fitting.

Why are people doubting that the three headline acts - announced and specifically, explicitly listed on the poster as the headliners - are headliners at all?

Wouldn't be so sure about that, Body and Soul had a drone stage one year at EP. Granted most people avoided it like the plague but still.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be so sure about that, Body and Soul had a drone stage one year at EP. Granted most people avoided it like the plague but still.
    A drone stage? When?

That's some weapons grade sh1te right there
    It's actually not, if you were open minded enough to appreciate it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

It's actually not, if you were open minded enough to appreciate it;)

If they clash with Chaka Khan there's only 1 winner.

A drone stage? When?

Actually my mistake, it was a set (No Place Like Drone) as part of a broader experimental music stage, not a purely drone stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Exactly... 80s throwback or experimental drone metal ... its a clear winner/dilemma depending on who you are and what you are looking for..

Personally I would be torn on this hypothetical tricky choice.

• Advertisement

Actually my mistake, it was a set (No Place Like Drone) as part of a broader experimental music stage, not a purely drone stage.
    ****, I meant to call over to that but completely fogot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm so confused. Why does he have a microphone? Is it so loud that the camera can't keep up or does it just sound like that? Why is he wearing a broken mirror?
    I can't cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I don't think it's likely, as EP have specifically said that Tribe are headlining the Saturday night.

if they weren't headlining, they would have just not said anything.

This is really getting ridiculous at this stage.

EP are not going to announce Tribe as headliners and then months down the line announce that they were just a placeholder for a bigger band. They would just use an actual placeholder in that case i.e. 'Saturday headliner TBA'.

We will get some more strong additions but please stop talking about Muse, Foals or Kasabian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think you're right, but if not Kasabian then Muse/Foals/Jamiroquai.

You can't slash Muse/Foals with Jamiroquai, they're a completely different mug of fish.

Imo Muse aren't an EP act anymore, Foals I dunno maybe but they're not bigger than Tribe, Kasabian would be similar to Muse in not fitting.

Why are people doubting that the three headline acts - announced and specifically, explicitly listed on the poster as the headliners - are headliners at all?
    Not linked musically, only as major acts who are possible later announcements.

In the past five years we've had three headliners (Valentines, Killers & Blur) added after the first announcement. We've also had major acts including (like 'em or not) Noel Gallagher, Nas & The 1975 last year. Publicists say a lot of things and I don't believe Tribe (great though they are) have enough pulling power for a Saturday night headlining slot. Bigger than Wu Tang, Public Enemy, Mos Def, Nas, De La Soul & all the other hip-hop artists who've never had major slots at EP? I don't believe so.

Tribe could play after one of the acts I believe will be added. Personally I'd like them headlining the Electric Arena as the Valentines did in 2008 (and reportedly at the time the band got the highest fee of that year, though I can't locate a source for this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The same thing happens literally every year.

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, the last few years have seen some sizable acts added after the initial announcement - Noel Gallagher, the 1975, Sam Smith, etc.

But, EP did state that these are the headline acts at the announcement, in all the media materials/releases, etc, so...

I reckon the next announcement will have 3/4 acts around the level of Interpol and Father John Misty (including Phoenix, who have already confirmed themselves after that confusion). I also wouldn't be surprised to see someone added to the top section of the poster, same line as Pete Tong 'cos it does seem a little light up there.

Kasabian or Jamoraqui (I don't I've ever spelled that correctly) are definitely possible, I don't think anyone is or isn't an 'EP-type' anymore after the last few years widened the scope dramatically.

But, I don't see anyone coming in and bumping ATCQ down to second on the bill, for e.g. What I'd say is far more likely is that someone like the Flaming Lips or PJ Harvey would be added to make it a sort of double-bill act on the one day.

That or someone like Justice to play after them.

Tribe are clearly this years LCD Soundsystem, lots of people decrying them as not headliners when they're perfectly placed as one.

Exactly... 80s throwback or experimental drone metal ... its a clear winner/dilemma depending on who you are and what you are looking for..

Personally I would be torn on this hypothetical tricky choice.
    Ah hey, be respectful to Chaka. Her stuff with Rufus in the 1970s is what stands up best and her role as the lead of a pioneering funk band is more important than disposable (but decent) 1980s hits. I'd expect an interesting set at EP, possibly a surprising one in the way the first Chic set in 2009 was. Don't write her off yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where does it say they're headlining? All I can see is the day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ah hey, be respectful to Chaka. Her stuff with Rufus in the 1970s is what stands up best and her role as the lead of a pioneering funk band is more important than disposable (but decent) 1980s hits. I'd expect an interesting set at EP, possibly a surprising one in the way the first Chic set in 2009 was. Don't write her off yet.

I agree about Chaka, she was one of the Ashford and Simpson lot who would be just as important as Nile Rodgers and Chic in the disco, soul and funk world.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This may be more representative of what to expect from Chaka. And if this doesn't get yer toes tappin'.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR--nDR88b0

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Where does it say they're headlining? All I can see is the day

You're right, it's not on the poster, but it was in the press release:
    http://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/here-are-your-first-acts-electric-picnic-2017

"Taking on headline duties on Friday night are indie-pop three-piece The XX"

"Headlining Saturday night will be one of hip-hop’s most legendary, beloved and revered groups of all time, A Tribe Called Quest."

"Closing out Electric Picnic 2017 on Sunday is synth-pop legends Duran Duran"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im ordering one of these bad boys for Glastonbury but it'll be good for picnic too. Stays dark and cool on the inside for morning sleep ins. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-3-freshblack-tent-3-man-id_8357355.html

I think last year they only did a pop up one which is no good for bringing on a plane.

I wasn't writing her off .. I just threw in the "80s throwback" moniker to make (poorly executed) point about subjectivity. Am really looking forward to Chaka Khan in fact.

Tribe are clearly this years LCD Soundsystem, lots of people decrying them as not headliners when they're perfectly placed as one.

I think there's a huge gulf in the appeal of LCD & Tribe. Though I could be wrong and as many people turn up to see the latter. However it's only Bestival they're headlining of their festivals in Europe (subbing to The 1975 or Frank Ocean at Parklife Manchester) and I think we'll have a big act play before or after them on the Sat night. Though one poster has said that they could end the evening with Pete Tong after ATCQ and that's also realistic. We'll know soon enough.

I'm really looking forward to them and I'd like to see them in an appropriate slot where there's not lots of nattering cos kids have lost interest.

I think there's a huge gulf in the appeal of LCD & Tribe. Though I could be wrong and as many people turn up to see the latter. However it's only Bestival they're headlining of their festivals in Europe (subbing to The 1975 or Frank Ocean at Parklife Manchester) and I think we'll have a big act play before or after them on the Sat night. Though one poster has said that they could end the evening with Pete Tong after ATCQ and that's also realistic. We'll know soon enough.

I'm really looking forward to them and I'd like to see them in an appropriate slot where there's not lots of nattering cos kids have lost interest.

This has been at pretty much every set after dark on the man stage for the last 5 years.

I'm too lazy to check prior years so could someone tell me when the next announcement might be?

I think what is being forgotten here is that "headliner" is not the same as "last act playing". EP often do that and I reckon ATCQ followed by the Pete Tong Orchestra is very possible.

I'm too lazy to check prior years so could someone tell me when the next announcement might be?

I am also too lazy to check, so I can't help you out.

Thanks for letting me know, especially considering how lazy you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

June 2nd last year and the middle of May the year before.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement