Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Jay Z's made in america festival lineup out which is the same weekend as EP and has stolen many acts that would have played EP I think, like Grimes last year.

not much crossover, i can't imagine many of those hiphop acts were ever playing EP. but we're not getting little dragon. surprised to see RTJ there, that's a long flight to play both EP and this.... gulp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-wPUy8XkAASCYn.jpg:large

I recognise a grand total of 4 names on that poster (including Mr. Z)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

showpony1 wrote: »
    who off that do you think would have played EP?

I counted about 5 acts who would fit in nicely at EP, but I think most are already doing gigs elsewhere in Ireland.

Solange and Francis & the Lights don't have anything lined up for Ireland as far as I know and would have been ideal, but other than that I count Stormzy and Sampha (Longitude) and Little Dragon (Vicar Street in October).

Would also expect Francis to pop up at Forbidden Fruit on the Bon Iver-curated Monday so that could be another ruled out. (Although its getting a little late to add anyone to that - very thin line up for that day IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Why do they advertise the event even though it's sold out? Just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

everlast75 wrote: »

Where is it being advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Maintaining Brand Awareness. Ensuring that it continues to sell out early and they continue to get the ticket sales in September and not the following July. That money in the bank is a big thing.

Early sell out also strengthens positions with vendors and other suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably park of the media deal the sponsors got, ad will appear on the paper x amount of times etc. Probably pre booked as part of advertising campaign and wasn't expected to sell out as quick.

There dragging the arse out of it as far as releasing of the artists though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I was looking over the 2012 thread recently and noticed the announcements were a lot more sooner, almost monthly but then I remembered that EP hadn't sold out in a few years then so they were still trying to flog tickets. Now with it selling out all the time the announcements are more or less announced every two and a half months at a time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Madness listed on their own site as playing Friday 1st.

Would love to see JAMC, James, Suede, The Alarm (playing Isle of Wight) added.

Anyone think Damien Dempsey (new album due) or Imelda May (new one out now) likely to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

thebusher wrote: »

Anyone think Damien Dempsey (new album due) or Imelda May (new one out now) likely to play?
    This will likely be repeated another fifty times before the festival but where a band lists themselves for the Friday, it is only relevant if they then list another gig on the Saturday. Otherwise they're just listing the first day of the festival.

Madness have nothing listed after the Friday so I would pay no attention to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Looks like Other Voices will be announcing their EP lineup tomorrow.

• Advertisement

thebusher wrote: »

You'd think James would be doing the rounds if they get a bounce out of game of thrones.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Looks like Other Voices will be announcing their EP lineup tomorrow.
    Did they not just saw there'd be news? Did it actually mention EP?

Did they not just saw there'd be news? Did it actually mention EP?

Nah, it's pretty clearly about EP:

https://twitter.com/OtherVoicesLive/status/859416122990489601

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

I'm thinking Gorillaz could be one to watch although would defo be headliners & EP have been explicit in the press release about the trio of headliners even giving specific dates.

Announced UK & European tour dates this year to go with a North American tour with still no sign of an Irish appearance?

November 2017
    27 Brighton Centre, Brighton
    29 – The SSE Hydro, Glasgow

December
    1 – Manchester Arena, Manchester
    2 – Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham
    4 – O2 Arena, London

November 2017
    1 – Rockhal, Luxembourg
    2 – Stadthalle, Vienna
    4 – Royal Arena, Copenhagen
    5 – Spektrum, Oslo
    6 – Hovet, Stockholm
    8 – Samsung Hall, Zurich
    9 – Arena, Geneva
    11 – Zenith, Munich
    13 – Aréna, Budapest
    14 – O2 Arena, Prague
    17 – Max-Schmeling-Halle, Berlin
    18 – Mitsubishi Electric Halle, Dusseldorf
    19 – Sporthalle, Hamburg
    21 – Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam
    22 – Forest National, Brussels
    24 – Zénith, Paris

There is a gap in their North American tour from the 13th August to the 15th September.

Long shot I know!

Much as I would love Gorillaz, there's no way their agent or whoever wouldn't want to miss out on the extra profits from a full, standalone gig which they'd easily sell out at least once over, maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

MJohnston wrote: »
    Much as I would love Gorillaz, there's no way their agent or whoever wouldn't want to miss out on the extra profits from a full, standalone gig which they'd easily sell out at least once over, maybe more.

Still strikes me as strange no Irish gig.

I'll tag them early favorites for next year.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Still strikes me as strange no Irish gig.

I'll tag them early favorites for next year.

Ireland has been passed over by a heap of bands I've wanted to see in the last year to eighteen months.

From the likes of Chance the Rapper announcing and cancelling gigs to Frank Ocean ticking off every other country on the continent to the War on Drugs, who announced a full tour last week and excluded Ireland.

It's damn frustrating. And each time I just think "Ah they'll announce it in the next batch of dates" or "the venue just wants to do their own announcement..." and, so far, it hasn't happened once.

:mad:

Saint Sister, Odetta Hartman, Loah, Charlie Cunningham, Katie Laffan, Soule and Jafaris added for Other Voices stage at EP.

Took it off the Instagram account and that's all the info they have so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I'd imagine most of those artists will popup elsewhere in the festival too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Never heard of any of them

Synode wrote: »

Loah is incredible, Saint Sister very good too, haven't heard of the rest yet myself though I will try to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭endainoz

Synode wrote: »

Defiantly not going to bother with other voices this year. Last two years tried to find something cool with whatever mystery act they would have on but was dissapointed on both occasions. Also last year it seemed to be taken over by a bunch of teeny boppers that ran up to the stage taking selfies in between bands. Security eventually cleared them off it but it just ruined the whole laid back kinda respectful vibe thats normally there. I might steer clear of the forest areas in general, even Trenchtown last year was a lot rougher than I remember. Will still give a look to The Salty Dog again though Im not sure will anything beat the Seasick Steve set from 2010, that was epic!

Trenchtown couldn't have been more chilled, few marleys and cocktails sitting by the beach in the sun after a hard days night.
    Trailer park found very good...always seemed to be some kind of messing going on....New Years Eve party and the like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Trenchtown couldn't have been more chilled, few marleys and cocktails sitting by the beach in the sun after a hard days night.
    Trailer park found very good...always seemed to be some kind of messing going on....New Years Eve party and the like..

Trenchtown and Salty Dog are great areas with good music and an interesting crowd.

Not bothered with Other Voices and the lineup just went over my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only time I've ever gone to Other Voices was Le Galaxie last year and it was great, if a little packed

Salty Dog is definitely my favourite thing in the woods. Girl Band there a few years ago was incredible.

Other Voices is a nice idea but it's usually too packed to see anything 'cos it's tiny. Booka Brass Band there a few years back was good but there was more people outside the church than in it.

Trenchtown is a cool vibe but not my kind of music at all so I don't usually spend much time there.

My Dearly Beloved in Other Voices was the first act I went to see last year on the Friday.

They were exceptional. It's the only time I've been to OV and the band seem to keep a very low profile.

Anyone know anything about them?

Phoenix are playing haven't seen them on the poster..

• Advertisement

Smash hits playing electric Ireland tent...

Advertisement