Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rfrip wrote: »
    Really liking perfume genius. Didn't like him on the first few listens but he's really grown on me

Yeah Kelly-Anne Byrne was playing him on the radio last night, I like what I'm hearing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Yeah Kelly-Anne Byrne was playing him on the radio last night, I like what I'm hearing.

I adore Kelly Anne Byrne... she has introduced me to so many amazing acts. She just seems have such a passion for what she does!

She plays a few times over the wkend so I'd definitely recommend everyone to check her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mgkelly

First release off it, is a wee funky belter. :)
    NSFW.
    Wow! That is extremely good indeed!!
    Wouldn't that all sound nice at EP?! :)

Rfrip wrote: »
    I adore Kelly Anne Byrne... she has introduced me to so many amazing acts. She just seems have such a passion for what she does!

She plays a few times over the wkend so I'd definitely recommend everyone to check her out.

She always plays the Bacardi Bar on Sunday afternoon, her set usually kicking off after the main stage reggae headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kellyanne Byrne is great, she always plays plenty of picnic tunes in the months building up to it and puts in a really enjoyable set early on in the day down at Casa Bacardi. Casa Bacardi during the day is one of my favourite areas of the festival, if the weather is good you can't help but get in a great mood having a dance to DJs like Kellyanne Byrne and Get Down Edits.

Also just listened to Slowdive for the first time based off the recommendations of a few on this thread.. They are now very high up my wishlist!! Hopefully they make the trip over as they are at Rock en Seine the previous weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kellyanne Byrne is great, she always plays plenty of picnic tunes in the months building up to it and puts in a really enjoyable set early on in the day down at Casa Bacardi. Casa Bacardi during the day is one of my favourite areas of the festival, if the weather is good you can't help but get in a great mood having a dance to DJs like Kellyanne Byrne and Get Down Edits.

Love Get Down Edits, especially this track...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The thread seems to be dying a death while waiting for the second announcement. So for want of something better to do how about your memories of the most disappointing Picnic acts. Not the obvious crap like James Blunt, Ed Sheeran & Co but performers you expected a decent set from who then underwhelmed you.
    amongst mine were:

Arctic Monkeys - new stuff sounded good, rest sounded dated and limp - no energy or charisma either.
    Killers - didn't expect to be blown away, but my conclusion was they had no more than 4/5 tunes.
    Lightning Seeds - damp squib.
    Fatboy Slim (2005) - should have known better
    Massive Attack (2006) - love the band but it felt like an evening of dirge.
    Belle & Sebastian - asking for criticism when you turn down the speakers.
    Gary Numan - noisenik drone til the last ten minutes.
    George Clinton - didn't work late night Saturday on the main stage. I fear the same for Tribe if they get that slot.
    Flaming Lips (2009) - enough of the puppetry - get back to the tunes.
    Michael Kiwanuka (2012) - bland & anodyne - won't be this year.
    Wu-Tang Clan - out of shape, out of sync.

Overall not many complaints over the past twelve years. A few low-keyish years but EP has done it for me year-in, year-out. Not the most popular of opinions but I'm a fan.

Any other bad gigs for you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

The Villagers - Always loved hearing them on the radio, nearly fell asleep at their gig in 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BikesKilleen

I found Outkast to be abysmal...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Arctics in 2013 were a let down alright, I was really excited for that set as I loved AM. They looked bored on stage. Except Alex who was too hammered to be bored. Couple that with a bunch of knobs shoving people over where I was stood in the crowd and it made for a sh!te gig.

Apart from that I can't think of any other really bad ones. That Jenny Greene Orchestra thing was total scutter last year but I knew it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Few and far between really. #

St. Vincent in 2013 was a bit of a let down. Not that she was particularly bad, more that she wasn't at the level of the March 2013 Olympia gig which was amazing. There was an end of tour lack of energy about it.

Also remember being psyched for The Orb on the B&S main stage in 2008 but just before they started we were driven away by torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Low, back in 2015 - Felt sorry for them wedged bewteen the Jon Hopkins set and another dance act (apologies cant remember the name). Alan Sparhawk was seriously p*ssed off, I know the crowd was small that turned up, but whoever scheduled their time slot to coincide with the Jon Hopkins set, should have had their heads examined. Their low-fi ,shoe gaze performance was practically droned out by the bass. Sparhawk at one stage was mockingly shaking his head to one of the dance tunes (at least he found it funny in the end, dont think his missus on the drums agreed mind you)!!!!

Glad to hear that as I left them in the drizzle to head for Mogwai. No longer regretting missing that set.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Arctics in 2013 were a let down alright, I was really excited for that set as I loved AM. They looked bored on stage. Except Alex who was too hammered to be bored. Couple that with a bunch of knobs shoving people over where I was stood in the crowd and it made for a sh!te gig.

Apart from that I can't think of any other really bad ones. That Jenny Greene Orchestra thing was total scutter last year but I knew it would be.
    Yeah, forgot to mention that. I've high hopes for the Pete Tong thing this year though, reckon that'll be done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Any other bad gigs for you guys?

Chemical Brothers-
    Haved loved their output since they were known as the 'Dust Bros' on Junior Boys own (14th Century Sky - hunrale!!) back in the early 90s
    Seen them live countless times at raves, events & festivals since then.
    Great DJ sets but their live show never has cut it for me- lazers and tech making up for zero stage charisma.

Have Stereo MC's played EP since 2005?

Low, back in 2015 - Felt sorry for them wedged bewteen the Jon Hopkins set and another dance act (apologies cant remember the name). Alan Sparhawk was seriously p*ssed off, I know the crowd was small that turned up, but whoever scheduled their time slot to coincide with the Jon Hopkins set, should have had their heads examined. Their low-fi ,shoe gaze performance was practically droned out by the bass. Sparhawk at one stage was mockingly shaking his head to one of the dance tunes (at least he found it funny in the end, dont think his missus on the drums agreed mind you)!!!!

I remember Laura Marling having the same hassle in 2010 with Here We Go Magic next door. She was very miffed about it all. But even more annoyed by the whittering from her audience. Can't blame her for that. I've never got why some people head to festivals to talk through every act. Though I'm never going to get anywhere with this complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

St. Vincent in 2013 was a bit of a let down

:eek: Was that not with David Byrne in the Electric Arena?!
    Surely compensated by the Talking Heads tracks and unbelievable atmosphere???

keith_d99 wrote: »

Sorry, wrong year! No that David Byrne/St. Vincent gig was top 3 EP gigs i've seen. :D

It was 2014, the year she played the Electric Arena solo just before Beck played the main stage. Think she played Other Voices too but i missed it.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    St. Vincent in 2013 was a bit of a let down

I think Arne may mean 2014. I actually though she was good (though with not enough tunes) and a great stage performance but it was never going to compare to the Byrne show. Let's have that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I remember Laura Marling having the same hassle in 2010 with Here We Go Magic next door. She was very miffed about it all. But even more annoyed by the whittering from her audience. Can't blame her for that. I've never got why some people head to festivals to talk through every act. Though I'm never going to get anywhere with this complaint.

That was a good year!
    Gil Scott Heron
    Foals
    Eels
    LCD
    Hot Chip
    PIL
    Fever Ray
    The Fall
    The National
    Afro Celt
    ARCADIA
    Loads more besides..

Had Grizzly Bear down as a possible on my first stab at a lineup prediction.

Can't see it happening at this stage but the new song sounds decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

room_149 wrote: »
    Chemical Brothers-
    Haved loved their output since they were known as the 'Dust Bros' on Junior Boys own (14th Century Sky - hunrale!!) back in the early 90s
    Seen them live countless times at raves, events & festivals since then.
    Great DJ sets but their live show never has cut it for me- lazers and tech making up for zero stage charisma.

Have they ever had stage charisma?
    I have to say I was very impressed with their set last year, the sounds and the visuals were enough for me.
    However,I did momentarily wonder whether the 2 miniscule heads on stage were actually the real Chem Bros, but the amazing visuals, block rockin' beats & atmosphere made me soon forget my curiosity.

Two years in particular for me. 2010 Massive Attack - Nothing wrong with their set or music which was great, it was the pure sh1te weather that night, I'll add the Bloody Beetroots set, they blew me away at their Rockness performance in Scotland on June, perhaps it was the atmosphere of wild raving Scots and the fact I was peaking on 2-CB but their EP gig didn't have the same kick, perhaps jaded from touring at that stage, I still enjoyed the gig though just not as good.

The headline slots for the 2009 edition, Orbital was interesting for about half an hour but just seemed to get tedious to me, the same for the 2ManyDJs set as well, perhaps I had seen them too many times at this stage with the same set list in tow, they also played Rockness with the identical set list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

That was a good year!
    Gil Scott Heron
    Foals
    Eels
    LCD
    Hot Chip
    PIL
    Fever Ray
    The Fall
    The National
    Afro Celt
    ARCADIA
    Loads more besides..

+
    Booka Shade
    Seasick Steve
    Caribou
    Leftfield
    Massive Attack
    UNKLE

not too shabby for sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

One of the worst gigs I've ever been to. Always shocked when people talk about it positively. They had no interest and were totally shown up by people like Beck and Kelis playing around the same time.
    Few and far between really. #

St. Vincent in 2013 was a bit of a let down. Not that she was particularly bad, more that she wasn't at the level of the March 2013 Olympia gig which was amazing. There was an end of tour lack of energy about it.

Also remember being psyched for The Orb on the B&S main stage in 2008 but just before they started we were driven away by torrential rain.

The 2014 gig (as others have said) was cr@p. I was bored watching her and the band.

If it's the Marling gig I'm thinking of, she was sick and couldn't raise her voice loud enough to sing over the crowd which was full of Foals fans as they were on after her.

Didn't make for a good show sadly. Saw her separately and she had similar issues with the crowd.

---

Can't think of too many. Luckily, most of the bands I've wanted to catch have been decent.

Lykke Li on the main stage before Arcade Fire in 2011 wasn't good, though. Really enjoyed her album but the show fell flat.

Also left Interpol in 2011 too. Have seen them once before and once after and they were great both times but they were touring their self-titled album (which is dire) and it was the first tour without Carlos D on bass and they seemed to be a bit all over the place as a result.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Agreed with being let down by Arctic Monkeys . Personally thought Franz Ferdinand blew them out of the water with a high energy set. The only reason we stayed till the end of AM was due to my friends GF wanting to see them and we were driving home after them

One of the worst gigs I've ever been to. Always shocked when people talk about it positively. They had no interest and were totally shown up by people like Beck and Kelis playing around the same time.

The 2014 gig (as others have said) was cr@p. I was bored watching her and the band.

If it's the Marling gig I'm thinking of, she was sick and couldn't raise her voice loud enough to sing over the crowd which was full of Foals fans as they were on after her.

Didn't make for a good show sadly. Saw her separately and she had similar issues with the crowd.

---

Can't think of too many. Luckily, most of the bands I've wanted to catch have been decent.

Lykke Li on the main stage before Arcade Fire in 2011 wasn't good, though. Really enjoyed her album but the show fell flat.

Also left Interpol in 2011 too. Have seen them once before and once after and they were great both times but they were touring their self-titled album (which is dire) and it was the first tour without Carlos D on bass and they seemed to be a bit all over the place as a result.

I remember that set, I was working during it on a volunteer weekend shift, it was around the time of my break, I thought she was OK, unusual but the redeeming factor in her set was that she ploughed through the Knife's Silent Shout which we would hear again two years later when the Knife closed the EA on the Sunday.

Agreed with being let down by Arctic Monkeys . Personally thought Franz Ferdinand  blew them out of the water with a high energy set. The only reason we stayed till the end of AM was due to my friends GF wanting to see them and we were driving home after them
    We headed to The Knife halfway through. Now that was excellent. Not quite a match for Fever Ray but really inpressive choreography and tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Not really a let down, but just found it abysmal, Sam Smith 2 years ago, for me he was in the wrong slot.
    Worst I've seen at EP is We cut Corners, terrible.

Advertisement