Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Even sadder that you're using a guy's death to take another cheap music snob dig at a gig you didn't even attend.

Still with the bee in his bonnet about people not liking the Jenny Greene gig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Trenchtown has released their line up.

18403708_10155343947249168_7873373659418448551_n.jpg?oh=2c92229188dcb40516a542c81a0ecff4&oe=5974BDD4
    Oh boy, super excited about Ragga Twins! I remember their stuff. They were out around the same time as Spiral Tribe, I think. Both stick in my mind. I have an album or maybe two somewhere. They released some top stuff on Shut Up & Dance Music. "Hooligan 69 (remix)" sticks out. Also, SUAD themselves released some tasty stuff. Remember "£20 to get in" - magic! Came across some other names on there - Nicolette (beautiful voice) & Codine.
    I'm not a reggae fan particularly, but ragga/dub etc really appeals.
    Pleasant surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

mgkelly wrote: »
    Oh boy, super excited about Ragga Twins! I remember their stuff. They were out around the same time as Spiral Tribe, I think. Both stick in my mind. I have an album or maybe two somewhere.?They released some top stuff on Shut Up & Dance Music. "Hooligan 69 (remix)" sticks out. Also, SUAD themselves released some tasty stuff. Remember "?20 to get in" - magic! Came across some other names on there - Nicolette (beautiful voice) & Codine.
    Pleasant surprise!

Would the Ragga Twins be similar to the type of ragga that General Levy does, wouldn't actually mind a bit of General Levy on the bill too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mgkelly

"Ragga Twins deh bout!"

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

mgkelly wrote: »
    Oh boy, super excited about Ragga Twins! I remember their stuff. They were out around the same time as Spiral Tribe, I think. Both stick in my mind. I have an album or maybe two somewhere. They released some top stuff on Shut Up & Dance Music. "Hooligan 69 (remix)" sticks out. Also, SUAD themselves released some tasty stuff. Remember "£20 to get in" - magic! Came across some other names on there - Nicolette (beautiful voice) & Codine.
    Pleasant surprise!

Caught then umpteen times mcing over the likes of breakeat stuff via Aquasky, Deekline etc. They are still chatting over Jungle & Drum and Bass stuff at raves and 'pon' the radio via Rinse & Kool FM
    Should be great craic!
    RAGGA TWINS DEM BOUT!!

• Advertisement

Would the Ragga Twins be similar to the type of ragga that General Levy does, wouldn't actually mind a bit of General Levy on the bill too.
    Good old Paul (levy), I went to school with him!!! Nice fella and still gigs all over the place.
    Worth saying he became a bit of pariah back in the day when claimed to 'run' jungle. All the scene players- Goldie, Rebel MC, most of the Djs/ producers boycotted his 'incredible' track when it charted in 1994.
    They've all since kissed and made up - he still lays vocals on the odd Jungle/ Dnb track now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Leftfield doing Leftism would be a great addition

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39870759

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Synode wrote: »

Absolutely. But up to the end of April they'd not been contacted by EP. Pal who plays with them said they were available for fests if the money was right but given they're not booked yet I'd rule them out. They loved it when they were there in 2010, said the sound system was the best they'd used all Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

To say I've pointed them out to the organisers "a few times" via various social media outlets etc is to put it mildly:D
    I actually think that EP will have completely arsed up if they haven't signed them up when they are doing Leftism (22!?) They would be amazing.  Saw them at B&S 2015 - played mostly the newer album that night with hints of first 2 albums mixed in. 
    They wouldn't break the bank I would have thought.

To say I've pointed them out to the organisers "a few times" via various social media outlets etc is to put it mildly:D
    I actually think that EP will have completely arsed up if they haven't signed them up when they are doing Leftism (22!?) They would be amazing. ?Saw them at B&S 2015 - played mostly the newer album that night with hints of first 2 albums mixed in.?

Maybe Body & Soul Village will book them for EP, would be nice on the Body & Soul main stage.

• Advertisement

I actually think that EP will have completely arsed up if they haven't signed them up when they are doing Leftism (22!?) They would be amazing.  Saw them at B&S 2015 - played mostly the newer album that night with hints of first 2 albums mixed in. 
    I absolutely agree. They provisionally booked three nights at Brixton Academy & only ended up using two of them so maybe not the draw they once were, even with this special tour.

They were/are available for fests, probably not so expensive as you say and it's a bad omission as that show would be ideal for this year.

Anyway, off to see them in Brixton tomorrow so I'll get my Leftism fix for the year. Would much prefer them in Stradbally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

mutley18 wrote: »
    Chances on Haim being added? They are in the U.K. on 27th August at Reading and their next gig is the 7th September in the States.

I dont know after pulling last year I can't see them at the EP for a while??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Fatfrog wrote: »

i dunno, they pulled out cos they were having writer's block on new music and now they said the writing is flowing. they've got 2 new singles out which are good. i'll catch them at glasto anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Curtis Harding pulled out late on last year, would love to see him make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Just heard the new Gorillaz song on 2fm. It's f'n brilliant. Fingers crossed for the EP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

everlast75 wrote: »
    Just heard the new Gorillaz song on 2fm. It's f'n brilliant. Fingers crossed for the EP

They'd be interesting live but I'd say unlikely as it's mid the Yank leg of their tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Has Massive Attack been suggested yet? They're playing a festival in Bristol the Saturday of EP. Surely they'd be very attainable for the Friday dance slot, and a proper big name along the lines of Noel G/Blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Charlie wrote: »
    Has Massive Attack been suggested yet? They're playing a festival in Bristol the Saturday of EP. Surely they'd be very attainable for the Friday dance slot, and a proper big name along the lines of Noel G/Blur.

I thought 6 months ago they were a shoe in!, would love to see them, but unlikely now in my view. :(

I thought 6 months ago they were a shoe in!, would love to see them, but unlikely now in my view. :(

Why not? All they need to do is slap their name on the poster and voila they are in the line up. :)

Mr.S wrote: »
    I hope i'm wrong, but I have a feeling we're not going to see many 'quality' announcements after the initial lineup release for the new few EP cycles! The festival selling out before a single act is announced means less pressure on the bookers, and I dunno, the 'vibe' has certainly changed post Reynolds and under LiveNation rule, you can 100% see the $$$$ signs when you walk around EP with all the corporate partnerships. Not saying EP will have bad lineups, I just see it turning into a very generic run of the mill festival. Mentioned it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if B&S pulls out in a few years.

But, as a major festival - totally expected to see the change.

tbh all I want to know is if the lake swimming thing will be back again this year :D

Yeah your right to an extent but they can't take the piss either because they could create irreparable damage aka Oxegen 2011/12 for the following years takings if they really cheaped out on the line up, I'd say there is one or two decent fairly big names to come yet along with a lot more acts, the question is when now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

I hadn't planned on going this year, I have 67,234 weddings and 6 stags between now and the end of September. My girlfriend has surprised me with tickets (she is a keeper).
    I haven't paid much attention to the line up, nor will I have time (see above). But the excitement has started, and going in with blissful ignorance could lead to a phenomenal weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

I hadn't planned on going this year, I have 67,234 weddings and 6 stags between now and the end of September. My girlfriend has surprised me with tickets (she is a keeper). I haven't paid much attention to the line up, nor will I have time (see above). But the excitement has started, and going in with blissful ignorance could lead to a phenomenal weekend!

If always is my friend, it always is

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

If always is my friend, it always is

I have been 9/10 times at this stage, some of those are a little vague, I'm well aware.
    But I usually have some research done on who I'm going to see, this time though, bar a few big names (Interpol, Phoenix, according to their website anyway, etc) I won't be doing much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Aye its a fine line of keeping everyone happy so they come back again next year.

Side note, was looking at previous Oxegen lineups and my god, MCD must have spent a fortune on bookings in the good days.

Especially in 2011 when you had Foo's/Coldplay/Beyonce and then Arctic Monkeys , BEP , The Strokes , Script at the top of the bill

Why not? All they need to do is slap their name on the poster and voila they are in the line up. :)

I hope i'm wrong, but I have a feeling we're not going to see many 'quality' announcements after the initial lineup release for the new few EP cycles! The festival selling out before a single act is announced means less pressure on the bookers, and I dunno, the 'vibe' has certainly changed post Reynolds and under LiveNation rule, you can 100% see the $$ signs when you walk around EP with all the corporate partnerships. Not saying EP will have bad lineups, I just see it turning into a very generic run of the mill festival. Mentioned it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if B&S pulls out in a few years.

tbh all I want to know is if the lake swimming thing will be back again this year :D

I fully agree about all the corporate crap, some necessary but much is unwelcome. Unfortunately it's probably irreversible.

Hope you're wrong about Body & Soul. EP loses its soul without it and don't think it'll happen as FR are savvy people, won't want to ruin a good thing.

In terms of line-up there are two announcements to come, and I'm pretty sure they'll mainly be full of the usual quality stuff. I still think we're short a major act but EP's lineup by August will be stronger than almost all other European fests in an underwhelming year.

And more importantly, where's Jimmy Murphy's slot this year?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And more importantly, where's Jimmy Murphy's slot this year?

The Picnic cant go without Spud Murphy. Legend has it that he lives in the little bar/ hut behind the Salty Dog in the woods throughout the year. Waiting patiently for the first weekend of September to fall..:D
    He'll surely be there in some capacity- selling ice-creams or burgers this year perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

I hope i'm wrong, but I have a feeling we're not going to see many 'quality' announcements after the initial lineup release for the new few EP cycles! The festival selling out before a single act is announced means less pressure on the bookers, and I dunno, the 'vibe' has certainly changed post Reynolds and under LiveNation rule, you can 100% see the $$ signs when you walk around EP with all the corporate partnerships. Not saying EP will have bad lineups, I just see it turning into a very generic run of the mill festival. Mentioned it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if B&S pulls out in a few years.

Yeah your right to an extent but they can't take the piss either because they could create irreparable damage aka Oxegen 2011/12 for the following years takings if they really cheaped out on the line up, I'd say there is one or two decent fairly big names to come yet along with a lot more acts, the question is when now?
    Going by last year, the next main announcement is due the first week in June

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Late Nite Tuff Guy just announced himself for Sunday 3rd, top top DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

RastaRed wrote: »
    Late Nite Tuff Guy just announced himself for Sunday 3rd, top top DJ

Oh love a lot of his remixes. Wonder is it Bacardi bar. I say it every single EP thread but there's always brilliant djs on in Bacardi bar every night but can't cope with the place after 6pm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Excellent addition, LNTG is a brilliant DJ. Perfectly suited to Casa Bacardi!

Advertisement