Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

showpony1 wrote: »
    ok i see - i understood it was inside the building just in the lobby area which would be after the metal detector check would have taken place in the US arena i mentioned.

From what I've read the lobby in this particular arena is connected to a train station and fairly open plan, so the security checks in places were after that.

Sadly, there's really nothing you can do, make the arena fully secure and any attacker could just wait outside and cause the same carnage.

Tbh I think we're all better off putting it out of our heads. Some of us grew up under the threat of terrorism in the 80s and 90s, and remember that you have to just get on with your life, the chances of it happening to you are so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

MJohnston wrote: »
    From what I've read the lobby in this particular arena is connected to a train station and fairly open plan, so the security checks in places were after that.

Sadly, there's really nothing you can do, make the arena fully secure and any attacker could just wait outside and cause the same carnage.

Tbh I think we're all better off putting it out of our heads. Some of us grew up under the threat of terrorism in the 80s and 90s, and remember that you have to just get on with your life, the chances of it happening to you are so low.

yeah felt the same going to the Euros in 2016 for the irish match just had to not think about it too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So do you think we might hear a squeak about a forthcoming announcement this Friday coming, something to put the tiddles back into our excitement for this frooby woobie fest. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

For some time now my two main hopes, certainly regarding 'bigger' names, are Leftfield doing the 'Leftism' set & Iggy as he wraps up the Post Pop Depression tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

So do you think we might hear a squeak about a forthcoming announcement this Friday coming, something to put the tiddles back into our excitement for this frooby woobie fest. :)

If I was a betting man (which I'm not), I'd guess the Wednesday or Friday after Forbidden Fruit, just in case there's any cross-over in acts there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Wonder if we'll get anyone from Bare in the woods, wouldn't mind seeing Helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Poorside wrote: »

you get to see plenty in the gents' urinal area if that's your thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

+1

everlast75 wrote: »
    you get to see plenty in the gents' urinal area if that's your thing :pac:

WAHAY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Dates are so far apart it is unlikely to have any influence .. would love whomadewho.

Am totally gutted about BITW... ffs

• Advertisement

Tago Mago wrote: »
    For some time now my two main hopes, certainly regarding 'bigger' names, are Leftfield doing the 'Leftism' set & Iggy as he wraps up the Post Pop Depression tour.

Was talking with a friend who is good friends with Neil Barnes and they definitely don't seem to be booked for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Was talking with a friend who is good friends with Neil Barnes and they definitely don't seem to be booked for this year.
    They're not. I asked Barnes after the Brixton gig and he confirmed no booking. I've asked my pal who plays with them several times over the past few months and reported the negative feedback here. They are however available, just not been approached. And I'd say they're not all that expensive but my pal has no idea how much they change as he just gets a wage per gig. Still some hope I guess, but if EP was bothered about booking them they'd surely have asked by now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Am totally gutted about BITW... ffs

Too big, too quick, too much corner cutting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SimqlySketch

Thanks to whoever pointed out the €35 tents in Aldi, just ran down and picked one up along with an inflatable mattress. Brilliant price, only hope there won't be a sea of Aldi tents at picnic! Which reminds me, (as a newbie to picnic) what was the best way to find your tent in the pitch dark? Especially if there will be a lot of similar tents in the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Thanks to whoever pointed out the €35 tents in Aldi, just ran down and picked one up along with an inflatable mattress. Brilliant price, only hope there won't be a sea of Aldi tents at picnic! Which reminds me, (as a newbie to picnic) what was the best way to find your tent in the pitch dark? Especially if there will be a lot of similar tents in the crowd?

Solar fairy lights, glow in the dark guy ropes, something like that. Bring a small torch everywhere with you and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just pick a few recognisable tents on your way to the main arena - an odd looking tent or gazebo beside yours, a recognisable one at the point where you have to leave the walking tracks to get to yours etc. The torch will also stop you breaking your neck on the web of ropes that inevitably happens with so many tents in close proximity

Thanks to whoever pointed out the ?35 tents in Aldi, just ran down and picked one up along with an inflatable mattress. Brilliant price, only hope there won't be a sea of Aldi tents at picnic! Which reminds me, (as a newbie to picnic) what was the best way to find your tent in the pitch dark? Especially if there will be a lot of similar tents in the crowd?

Use a marker in the campsite, be it a certain spotlight, an unusual tall tent, a particular stall or shop in camping area, these can all be markers to finding you way back to your tent.

Leave a bag of cans outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    They're not. I asked Barnes after the Brixton gig and he confirmed no booking. I've asked my pal who plays with them several times over the past few months and reported the negative feedback here. They are however available, just not been approached. And I'd say they're not all that expensive but my pal has no idea how much they change as he just gets a wage per gig. Still some hope I guess, but if EP was bothered about booking them they'd surely have asked by now.

Pity, still short a sub headline dance act in my eyes, stars would have seemed to have aligned & would make perfect sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Bat Signal works for me. :D

nah, you'll work it out from landmarks in the campsite. In line with such and such a tree, or parallel with this shop or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Pity, still short a sub headline dance act in my eyes, stars would have seemed to have aligned & would make perfect sense....
    It would make total sense as I have mentioned once or several times before :D
    Leftism 22 Continue the pestering of Festival Republic.

(almost) All of the above comments are spot on but do remember that the first time you leave your tent it will be daylight and when you return it will be dark and there will probably be a lot more tents around ...

Also, before you leave for the first time, get your location on google maps and save that spot in your favourites list. Accurate to a few metres. This method works in the dark but is subject to some battery life being available at end of night.

My grandmother told me "never trust a man who diggles ducks".

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

My grandmother told me "never trust a man who diggles ducks".
    she was a wise woman

2 things know ye of the wise woman
    1. She is wise
    2. She is a woman

p.s. So as I'm not seen as some Leftfield stalker all the time...
    I'd also like to see some of Otherkin, Fangclub,Cabbage, The Blinders, James, The Charlatans, Ride, Slowdive, King Kong Company, in the next announcement, confident on a couple of the Irish bands there being added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

she was a wise woman

1. She is wise
    2. She is a woman

I'd also like to see some of Otherkin, Fangclub,Cabbage, The Blinders, James, The Charlatans, Ride, Slowdive, King Kong Company, in the next announcement, confident on a couple of the Irish bands there being added

King Kong Company are already playing Body & Soul.
    Not sure if they would be added to the EP line-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

she was a wise woman

1. She is wise
    2. She is a woman

you know 'er then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

So when does the annual Electric Picnic weather prediction discussion start? It's either going to be sunny, wet, cloudy, dry or a combination of all 4. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

So when does the annual Electric Picnic weather prediction discussion start? It's either going to be sunny, wet, cloudy, dry or a combination of all 4. You heard it here first.

Not till next Thursday. you blew your load too quickly. Tragic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

Not till next Thursday. you blew your load too quickly. Tragic.

Apparently that happens to lots of guys

Advertisement