Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GidCudi wrote: »
    Here's hoping that a spotify session will uncover a few gems like the original line up...still though...maaaaaan that's bad squishy

The last act on the main stage should have you rocking out of the arena. That's not going to happen.

Were all going to be heading out to the forest chanting Hungry like a Wolf....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Elbow twice in a year, **** yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

If you need some perspective on how crap the lineup is for the money you pay have a look at the lineup for Glastonbury and have yourself a little cry

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2017/?stage

And before anybody says you can't compare the festivals, have a look at the lineups for both 5 or 6 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you need some perspective on how crap the lineup is for the money you pay have a look at the lineup for Glastonbury and have yourself a little cry

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2017/?stage

And before anybody says you can't compare the festivals, have a look at the lineups for both 5 or 6 years ago

In fairness we don't have to suffer Ed singing about hurting his knee when he was 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Give Car Seat Headrest a go lads. Great band IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Pretty happy with that main line up, making off a very good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

I'm more excited to watch that on TV than go to EP this year. That shouldn't be happening. Awful line up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Given their respective catalogues, The XX headlining over Elbow is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Weepsie wrote: »
    Given their respective catalogues, The XX headlining over Elbow is daft.

Elbows best days are long gone, they are a heritage act now and very bland live. The xx are headlining festivals across the world and will attract the younger fans to their set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

plenty of good acts there to see over the weekend.... yes headliners a bit meh but there's more to the festival than that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Not a fabulous announcement, but exactly in line with what any reasonable person would have expected.

Rejjie Snow was amazing last year, he's definitely on my list this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

F:(cking dreadful line-up. They really are taking the p*ss...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Peter File wrote: »
    Elbows best days are long gone, they are a heritage act now. The xx are headlining festivals across the world.

elbows new album is quite good i think.... xx arent a patch on them imo

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

This year is crying out for a stupid, no nonsense rock/indie act for night time. Looks like it's going to be jam packed daytime and chilled nights at the moment lol

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

When's the next announcement. I want to order some pills in advance. The ones that give you the biggest come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

usually you'd expect to see a few chart acts like 1975, years & years mixed in, doesn't appear to be anything easily accessible to me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Elbows best days are long gone, they are a heritage act now and very bland live. The xx are headlining festivals across the world and will attract the younger fans to their set.

I agree with that, seen elbow in the O2 a few years back and never been more bored at a gig in my life.

Far too much hip-hop/grime whatever the fck it's called these days for my liking, really disappointed and can't see myself ever buying tickets blind again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

"OVER 20 NEWS ACTS JOIN OUR LINE UP!"

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/over-20-news-acts-join-our-line

Hope Sharon will sing a song or two

sharon-ni-bheolain4-752x501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

Lyra...this Scandinavian sounding Irish Florence and the Machine? Bit mad...but I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

what is the friday dance act? lol
    i think the friday will be underwhelming compared to last years!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Heritage Act when Duran Duran are headlining?

But I kind of see where you're coming from. They're a few years beyond their peak in terms of pulling power certainly, and they've played here 3 times already this year. They have the songs to bring a festival crowd together nicely.

The XX are equally capable of being incredibly dull live. The new material live should address that however

If one was to listen to Annie Mac in order to assess whether she'd be worth seeing, what would you recommend to listen to exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

They added Blur and Sam Smith late a couple years ago, went straight to headliners obviously. Last year Noel Gallagher and 1975. Whether they're your cup of tea or not, they're pretty big acts compared to this addition.

Blur and Sam Smith were a completely different situation as headliners had not been announced that year. EP very specifically told everyone that the three biggest names in this years line-up would be A tribe called quest, the XX and Duran Duran. If you thought bigger bands would be added late that's on you.

I would say Elbow are bigger than NG and the 1975 but that's a moot point as they're not headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Its funny looking back at the predictions people had just a couple of days ago everything from Gallagher to Major Lazer. Good old EP does it again.

I cant say if I'm unhappy or happy with the additions I paid €150 minus 25% (Ulster bank thing) for 3 days so for me its okay. However if I paid €250 I probably would be pissed.

Facebook today is comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

No matter what a festival line-up is like there is always a % of people who are unhappy because the line-up is missing specific acts they want to see. The line-up to me is very decent, it may be weaker at headline level than previous years but is much stronger at the mid to lower level. One of my biggest gripes last year was the fact there was little of interest for me on during the day. I found myself killing time until late evening, I don't foresee the same problem this year. Each to their own but there is plenty on that line-up to keep me busy for 3 days and that's before the final announcement is even made. Add in all the other area's and it'll pad out t be a very decent weekend of music IMO.

Its funny looking back at the predictions people had just a couple of days ago everything from Gallagher to Major Lazer. Good old EP does it again.

I cant say if I'm unhappy or happy with the additions I paid €150 minus 25% (Ulster bank thing) for 3 days so for me its okay. However if I paid €250 I probably would be pissed.

Facebook today is comedy gold.
    I got the same deal which softens the inevitable blow.

I'm lucky in that I'm going for over ten years now and my really low expectations are always met, i.e. I like virtually none of the bands listed until I explore and find a couple that are ok.

I'll probably pack it in this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

My absolute favourite thing about this year's festival is the meltdowns.

"THE HEADLINERS YOU SAID WERE HEADLINING ARE STILL HEADLINING. WAAAAAAH."

Look I'm not gonna tell people for a second what they should or shouldn't like, but EP and Festival Republic bluntly stated that these were the headline acts. Expecting anything different was just setting yourself up for a fall.

Fwiw, Duran Duran is a poor one for me and I caught the xx at Primavera and was not remotely impressed. They do nothing for me. ATCQ should be excellent, but not to everyone's taste but I have years of previous Picnics of not seeing a headline act cos the Electric Arena headliner (or somewhere else) were more to my taste.

The transition from a pop-centric bill back to a more alt/indie/tradition EP one was always gonna cause some disappointment so I can certainly empathise with people, but that's how I felt watching Sam Smith so...

Undercard this year is absolutely perfect for my own taste, though. Phoenix, Interpol, Car Seat Headrest, Father John Misty, Run the Jewels, Band of Horses, Kiasmos, Vince Staples, Young Fathers, Perfume Genius, Everything Everything, Jagwar Ma... That's already more bands than I could even hope to see all weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I got the same deal which softens the inevitable blow.

I'm lucky in that I'm going for over ten years now and my really low expectations are always met, i.e. I like virtually none of the bands listed until I explore and find a couple that are ok.

I'll probably pack it in this year.

Very same. I have been to 100% of picnics but age is catching up.
    Know a few bands and will give spotify a listen but at this stage I've seen most of the bands I would like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

So good quality dance acts are:-

Pete Tong
    Annie Mac
    Soulwax
    Kiasmos
    Floating Points
    Bicep
    Mano Le Tough
    Kelly Lee Owens

Am I missing anyone I should be listening to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

My absolute favourite thing about this year's festival is the meltdowns.

"THE HEADLINERS YOU SAID WERE HEADLINING ARE STILL HEADLINING. WAAAAAAH."

Look I'm not gonna tell people for a second what they should or shouldn't like, but EP and Festival Republic bluntly stated that these were the headline acts. Expecting anything different was just setting yourself up for a fall.

Fwiw, Duran Duran is a poor one for me and I caught the xx at Primavera and was not remotely impressed. They do nothing for me. ATCQ should be excellent, but not to everyone's taste but I have years of previous Picnics of not seeing a headline act cos the Electric Arena headliner (or somewhere else) were more to my taste.

The transition from a pop-centric bill back to a more alt/indie/tradition EP one was always gonna cause some disappointment so I can certainly empathise with people, but that's how I felt watching Sam Smith so...

Undercard this year is absolutely perfect for my own taste, though. Phoenix, Interpol, Car Seat Headrest, Father John Misty, Run the Jewels, Band of Horses, Kiasmos, Vince Staples, Young Fathers, Perfume Genius, Everything Everything, Jagwar Ma... That's already more bands than I could even hope to see all weekend!

There's been a noticeable shift in the profile of acts playing when compared to previous couple of years, it's an intentional shift too IMO. Maybe the age profile wasn't to their liking, I have no problem with a young crowd at a festival FWIW, but there is a balance to be struck.

Advertisement