Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmcmahon123

If one was to listen to Annie Mac in order to assess whether she'd be worth seeing, what would you recommend to listen to exactly?

Her sets are good. She curates a music festival in malta every year called Lost & Found which has some big names in dance music including Armand Van Helden Jamie Jones Jackmaster etc. at it so her track selection should at least be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

Synode wrote: »
    So good quality dance acts are:-

Pete Tong
    Annie Mac
    Soulwax
    Kiasmos
    Floating Points
    Bicep
    Mano Le Tough
    Kelly Lee Owens

Am I missing anyone I should be listening to?

Hannah Wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

There's been a noticeable shift in the profile of acts playing when compared to previous couple of years, it's an intentional shift too IMO. Maybe the age profile wasn't to their liking, I have no problem with a young crowd at a festival FWIW, but there is a balance to be struck.

Totally agree.

Not sure if it is a case of not liking the age profile but, I'd imagine, safeguarding the product overall.

What you now have is one pop-focused festival in Longitude and one more-alternative one in Electric Picnic.

A huge demographic (which does overlap in some cases) is now catered for instead of the previous mish-mash approach in the last few years which caused a lot of punters to be unhappy with the products.

Festival Republic spoke earlier this year about establishing at least one more weekend camping fest in Ireland - said both Cork and Dublin could handle it - so I wouldn't be surprised to see that launch next year.

Camping fest with a pop focus held shortly after the end of the Leaving Cert, Longitude remaining a non-camping fest in July and EP with its EP-ish focus in late August, September.

Nothing to base that on other than conjecture but it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmcmahon123

hoodini89 wrote: »
    Hannah Wants.

Hannah Wants is absolutely horrendous, don't bother listening to her. Shes like a Dj you would hear on a Saturday night in a nightclub in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

Ok I've gotten over my initial disappointment with the latest additions.
    I was expecting some big names to be added but I agree with previous posters in that EP is definitely taking a new direction.

There are a decent amount of acts I can't wait to see (mainly in the undercard) and being a mainly electronic music fan I am spoiled for choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

There were a couple of acts I was holding out for on that announcement:

Royksopp - I think they are due an EP appearance and would have been ideal for the late night Saturday slot on the main stage

Goldfrapp - Her new album is great and she is absolutely an EP type act

SOHN - He was brilliant in 2014

Hoping that the third announcement will have at least one of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I can understand a new direction/change in genre (doesn't really bother me because I enjoy lots of music types), but Duran Duran, Xhaka Khan, Pete Tong etc. are poor headliners by any metric.

There are lots of acts I'll enjoy and I'm sure I'll have a great time, but the headliners are weak.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

delighted with some of those named today!!

im a huge elbow fan... their latest gig in vicar st in february was magical, and they have the presence for big festival crowds

everything everything are a highly regarded and have a great catalogue... and im sure will be visually brilliant

Aaron Lee Tasjan is great if your into a bit of alt country folkish types, perfect for a warm sunday afternoon. his latest album so#ilver tears is very good, and who knows, maybe BP Fallon will joining him for their collaboration "i believe in elvis Priestley"

declan mckenna is an up and coming singer song writer who is lyrically excellent and interesting, kinda reminds me of early 'engine alley'

Jagwar Ma... a real outdoor sunny fesitval band... think tame impala or mgmt ish.

the lemon twigs should be a bit of craic, they dont take themselves too seriously... definitely on my "to see" list ...

all in all pretty happy with the line up and new announcements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

sydthebeat wrote: »

im a huge elbow fan... their latest gig in vicar st in february was magical, and they have the presence for big festival crowds

that was d'olympia...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

sydthebeat wrote: »

everything everything are a highly regarded and have a great catalogue... and im sure will be visually brilliant

Aaron Lee Tasjan is great if your into a bit of alt country folkish types, perfect for a warm sunday afternoon. his latest album so#ilver tears is very good, and who knows, maybe BP Fallon will joining him for their collaboration "i believe in elvis Priestley"

declan mckenna is an up and coming singer song writer who is lyrically excellent and interesting, kinda reminds me of early 'engine alley'

Jagwar Ma... a real outdoor sunny fesitval band... think tame impala or mgmt ish.

the lemon twigs should be a bit of craic, they dont take themselves too seriously... definitely on my "to see" list ...

all in all pretty happy with the line up and new announcements

"Syd was paid a gratuity for his part in this forum".:p

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that was d'olympia...

twas too :) ta SM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Elbow are bland personified, his voice is so dreary zzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There were a couple of acts I was holding out for on that announcement:

Royksopp - I think they are due an EP appearance and would have been ideal for the late night Saturday slot on the main stage

Goldfrapp - Her new album is great and she is absolutely an EP type act

SOHN - He was brilliant in 2014

Hoping that the third announcement will have at least one of the above

We have a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

like many others on here, the headline acts dont hold much excitement for me (neither did last years, bar LCD) but some fantastic acts next level down. Much better chance of less clashes!
    I thought some one mentioned New Valley wolves were playing?

I was wondering if EP find it difficult now to get bigger name acts (as its Irelands biggest festival) because we have so many festivals & stadium concerts in this country and they cannot compete with what others offer for one—off gigs?

LowOdour wrote: »
    like many others on here, the headline acts dont hold much excitement for me (neither did last years, bar LCD) but some fantastic acts next level down. Much better chance of less clashes!
    I thought some one mentioned New Valley wolves were playing?

I was wondering if EP find it difficult now to get bigger name acts (as its Irelands biggest festival) because we have so many festivals & stadium concerts in this country and they cannot compete with what others offer for one—off gigs?

Yeah they confirmed yesterday but strangely weren't on the announcement today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

it's a shame we don't have longitudes line-up at EP this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EmtLarkin

showpony1 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Mumford and Sons?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Is that some sort of sick joke?

i'm sure most here won't be happy when the crowd who were at years & years while they were at LCD last year show up at Elbow etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It'd be good to get some objective opinions on here tbh.

There seems to be a load of people crying that it’s the worst line up ever, and the 2nd announcement was pure dirt etc.
    In the other corner, you’ve people laughing at them, and saying this is as good as it gets.

When people whip themselves up into a frenzy, they're always gonna be let down by the announcements.

Comments like, last years 2nd announcement we got NG HFB / Shins etc. which was much better than this year.
    This time next year people will be saying, last year in the 2nd announcement we got Elbow / EE / Phoenix / Jagwar Ma etc.

Fwiw I’m pleased with the line-up and there’s a few in todays announcement to keep me happy.

I do feel that the line-up is getting weaker each year though, or at least it seems that way to my tastes. The no of acts that play in the main arena has dropped year on year also.

I don’t agree with Jim Carroll often but he may have been right with his quip last year. It was something along the lines of get used to gimmicks and fluff for the future, instead of putting money into booking high profile acts (that wasn’t what he said but that’s the gist).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

i'm sure most here won't be happy when the crowd who were at years & years while they were at LCD last year show up at Elbow etc

'splain pls?

'splain pls?

people seem delighted there is no years & years, 1975 etc. (majority of posters on this thread seem not to like chart/pop music) however, the gig is already sold out - the people who posters are surmising that Festival Republic are "trying to keep away" with this alt/indie line-up have already bought their tickets and will be there. So they'll be wandering around locked at your favourite acts instead of being off at the pop/dance acts during this time as there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

people seem delighted there is no years & years, 1975 etc. (majority of posters on this thread seem not to like chart/pop music) however, the gig is already sold out - the people who posters are surmising that Festival Republic are "trying to keep away" with this alt/indie line-up have already bought their tickets and will be there. So they'll be wandering around locked at your favourite acts instead of being off at the pop/dance acts during this time as there are none.

The likelihood is they'll be getting buckled in their tents and then onto one of the many many house music yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

If the crowd on Facebook all make good and don't go I expect to be like this for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

While it's hard to escape the notion that Festival Republic are skimping on the cash they're splashing on acts, there's no doubt that it's a thoughtful line-up, with really interesting acts across pretty much the entire music spectrum. I'm of a certain vintage and what I want out of the weekend is undoubtedly different to what most of you lot are after but even looking at the acts announced today, there are gems in there that I would never ordinarily get near. The Lemon Twigs are pretty much the epitome of what EP is about for me now. Never heard of them before, 3 songs in and I love them already, really looking forward to seeing them. I know for a fact that Aaron Lee Tasjan is going to be brilliant, Margaret Glaspy was a find for me last year and she'll be a highlight again this time around. With great age comes great wisdom folks. Trust me, it'll all work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

King Kong Kompany are back again but noticed they are announced yet. Or have them been announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

King Kong Kompany are back again but noticed they are announced yet. Or have them been announced?

If they don't play, it cannot be officially called the Electric Picnic.

Ditto Le Galaxie

Stillill42 wrote: »
    While it's hard to escape the notion that Festival Republic are skimping on the cash they're splashing on acts, there's no doubt that it's a thoughtful line-up, with really interesting acts across pretty much the entire music spectrum. I'm of a certain vintage and what I want out of the weekend is undoubtedly different to what most of you lot are after but even looking at the acts announced today, there are gems in there that I would never ordinarily get near. The Lemon Twigs are pretty much the epitome of what EP is about for me now. Never heard of them before, 3 songs in and I love them already, really looking forward to seeing them. I know for a fact that Aaron Lee Tasjan is going to be brilliant, Margaret Glaspy was a find for me last year and she'll be a highlight again this time around. With great age comes great wisdom folks. Trust me, it'll all work out.

I agree on Margaret Glaspy, and with your general point to a degree, but a man of your experience should know to never use the term "fact" when discussing music.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Hannah Wants is absolutely horrendous, don't bother listening to her. Shes like a Dj you would hear on a Saturday night in a nightclub in Sligo.

Listening to her on Spotify (pressed play after opening her page) and have to say it's quite tasty. Right up my street. This Sligo place must be rocking

Edit: I take that back. There was one or two decent songs and the rest is pretty poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I'm pretty sure I heard they're not playing EP this year. Can't remember where I heard that (could've been here tbh).

Advertisement