Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

showpony1 wrote: »
    do those festivals that everyone say is better have as much craic into the early hours though? Oxegen here had a great line-up and i had a great time going for a day trip in which i saw Bruno Mars, Too Door Cinema Club, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters etc for €100 - however wouldn't camp as you are basically in a dark field for the night drinking.

What sets EP apart is the late night activities for me randomly finding a stage with a DJ still on at 4am, i went to see Attention Bebe at about 2am in trailer park and it was rocking, same Mother Djs at 3am on the Sunday night. these are the things why i would be cautious when researching the festivals i go to abroad in case its similar to Oxegen. Though i'm sure there are people who are purely going for the acts then to sleep.

I'd say so,opener got voted best festival in europe a few times.lots of sport and activities and the bands stay on later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Poorside wrote: »
    Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And can we have Cabbage as well?

My sons band were asked to support them recently, turned them down because of some stuff the singer had said, muppets.
    What sort of stuff? I only know the decent tunes I've heard and that they're managed by John Robb. Haven't seen them interviewed or read much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Father John Misty sounding superb from Glasto. Please give him a tent headline slot at EP.
    i was a superb set...really looking forward to it now. He will be playing either the Friday or Sunday which is great cus I think he will get tent headline slot...and it wont clash with ATCQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

What sort of stuff? I only know the decent tunes I've heard and that they're managed by John Robb. Haven't seen them interviewed or read much about them.

Something he got in right **** for, son said it was some mysogynist stuff( sons band have a female bass player) and they couldn't reconcile the stuff they sing about with that attitude, sons band are a fairly heavy punk band.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

Something he got in right **** for, son said it was some mysogynist stuff( sons band have a female bass player) and they couldn't reconcile the stuff they sing about with that attitude, sons band are a fairly heavy punk band.

Saw Cabbage supported by Brand New Friend recently in the academy. BNF very good addition to EP. Would love to see Cabbage again but less than 50 at the academy when I thought it would be a sell out. Bery good live and new EP coming out. I have officially given up on Leftfield being at EP but hope someone books them for their own gig in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

And can we have Cabbage as well?

Bacon and cabbage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Bacon and cabbage ?

Cornbeef and cabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Katy perry great at glasto . All the music snobs on here would have an aneurysm if she was added to EP .

Joking aside I think current incarnation Katy would be great at EP. The new album is great and she's gone a bit batty.

She has tour dates in the UK booked for next year but no Dublin date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Joking aside I think current incarnation Katy would be great at EP. The new album is great and she's gone a bit batty.

I quite enjoyed her set, thought it was great fun

I quite enjoyed her set, thought it was great fun*

*one handed

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

everlast75 wrote: »
    *one handed

Ha, no, d'other half was beside me, she a music teacher and was critiquing it with her voice is not great etc... and not getting the point of it just being pure music escapism with dancing Pom poms and flowers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jesus she couldn't be any worse than Lana del Reyes moping about and singing dreary songs. At least Katy perry would liven the place up. And I'm by no means a fan btw

Snarky Snark Snark

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Jesus she couldn't be any worse than Lana del Reyes moping about and singing dreary songs. At least Katy perry would liven the place up. And I'm by no means a fan btw

Shut that durty mouth, Lizzie was epic and in de rain

(She was bleedin great actually)

Phoenix looking good at Glastonbury:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

everlast75 wrote: »
    Phoenix looking good at Glastonbury:)

They're great! If they aren't the late night Saturday act on the main stage then the organisers should be hung live on stage instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DogartyDee

Dolbert wrote: »
    Same! People complaining about the headliners should check out the smaller stages. There is some seriously good Irish music being made these days.

Do you know if Lisa Ryan and the Russells are still on the go?

Snarky Snark Snark

Mr/ Ms. EP BOOKER

white lies still free that weekend, just saying.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mr/ Ms. EP BOOKER

white lies still free that weekend, just saying.

Havent seen them since Oxegen 2009???? Would love for them to be added.

If Jools Holland wasnt doing Belfast and Dublin Oct he would be a great mid afternoon act.

Id actually like to see Katy Perry but presume she would be a headliner , Although i think Pink would go down fairly well at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

My understanding of the poster, is that the newly announced sub headliners have their days allocated... like Elbow Friday, Phoenix Sunday and Pete seems to be Saturday now. Or is the second line on the poster more fluid? It's a bit confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

PinkCamper wrote: »
    My understanding of the poster, is that the newly announced sub headliners have their days allocated... like Elbow Friday, Phoenix Sunday and Pete seems to be Saturday now. Or is the second line on the poster more fluid? It's a bit confusing

For what its worth Elbow's website says sunday and has another gig listed for the Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

For what its worth Elbow's website says sunday and has another gig listed for the Saturday.

Good, 7/8 o'clock on the Sunday as the sun starts to go down would be nice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Good, 7/8 o'clock on the Sunday as the sun starts to go down would be nice.

Has to be a nice dry evening tho , think the last time i seen them was Oxegen and it was raining

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Has to be a nice dry evening tho , think the last time i seen them was Oxegen and it was raining

I was the very same! Jesus the weather was ****e that year. Looking forward to them now especially after watching them at Glastonbury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Come on!! Just go into the EP forum from 16-15-14 etc etc and its the same bitching and moaning around this time of year... only to be followed by "best weekend ever" some weeks later ;)

Bar a few exceptions (i.e. Blur) ep does not have "premium" headlines.

Theres allot of talk about Duran Duran not being headliner material, which I feel is wrong, they have appeal with a huge back catalogue songs. The same can't be said for a tribe called quest, what were they thinking!! Completely unknown in Ireland, if theres any sort of clash the main stage will be empty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Because I've nothing better to do, all the headline acts since it kicked off below. More just an exercise of interest than anything else - holy crap 2007 was stacked. Would love to see the Facebook reaction if that was what announced today. "Sonic Youth? The Beastie Boys? Jarvis Cocker? EP what is this? These bands are past it. Etc."

But, yeah, the Picnic doesn't tend to do premium headliners. Great bands, terrible bands, weird choices, safe bets - all in there, but with the exception of half a dozen acts, most wouldn't be considered premium as such. The brackets are the other big acts on the nights because as we all know, headline doesn't necessarily mean playing last, and any complaints about who I've deemed "headline" can be directed to EP, the poster designers and the Wiki page. I just ripped what I saw.

This year really fits the template of the line-ups pre-2014 IMO.

2004: Groove Armada, 2 Many DJ’s, Super Furry Animals, Soulwax
    2005: Kraftwerk, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Fat Boy Slim, Flaming Lips [Royksopp, Mercury Rev, 2 Many DJs]
    2006: Groove Armada, New Order, Basement Jaxx, Massive Attack [Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Frames, Bloc Party]
    2007: Sonic Youth, Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, Beastie Boys [Primal Scream, Jarvis Cocker, MIA, Chemical Brothers, Iggy & the Stooges]
    2008: Sigur Ros, My Bloody Valentine, Sex Pistols [Goldfrapp, Franz Ferdinand, Underworld]
    2009: Brian Wilson, Flaming Lips, Basement Jaxx, Orbital [Madness, MGMT, Fleet Foxes]
    2010: Roxy Music, Leftfield, Massive Attack [The National, The Frames, LCD Soundsystem]
    2011: Interpol, Arcade Fire, Pulp [Chemical Brothers, PJ Harvey, Underworld]
    2012: Sigur Ros, The Killers, The Cure, Orbital [Elbow, Christy Moore, Hot Chip, the xx]
    2013: Fat Boy Slim, Arctic Monkeys, Bjork, Robert Plant [My Bloody Valentine, the Knife, David Byrne & St Vincent]
    2014: Outkast, Portishead, Beck [Chic, Foals, Pet Shop Boys]
    2015: Florence + the Machine, Blur, Sam Smith [Underworld, Grace Jones]
    2016: LCD Soundsystem, Lana Del Ray, Chemical Brothers [Noel Gallagher, New Order]
    2017: the xx, Duran Duran, A Tribe Called Quest [Elbow, Phoenix, Pete Tong]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Because I've nothing better to do, all the headline acts since it kicked off below. More just an exercise of interest than anything else - holy crap 2007 was stacked. Would love to see the Facebook reaction if that was what announced today. "Sonic Youth? The Beastie Boys? Jarvis Cocker? EP what is this? These bands are past it. Etc."

But, yeah, the Picnic doesn't tend to do premium headliners. Great bands, terrible bands, weird choices, safe bets - all in there, but with the exception of half a dozen acts, most wouldn't be considered premium as such. The brackets are the other big acts on the nights because as we all know, headline doesn't necessarily mean playing last, and any complaints about who I've deemed "headline" can be directed to EP, the poster designers and the Wiki page. I just ripped what I saw.

2005: Kraftwerk, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Fat Boy Slim, Flaming Lips [Royksopp, Mercury Rev, 2 Many DJs]
    2006: Groove Armada, New Order, Basement Jaxx, Massive Attack [Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Frames, Bloc Party]
    2007: Sonic Youth, Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, Beastie Boys [Primal Scream, Jarvis Cocker, MIA, Chemical Brothers, Iggy & the Stooges]
    2008: Sigur Ros, My Bloody Valentine, Sex Pistols [Goldfrapp, Franz Ferdinand, Underworld]
    2009: Brian Wilson, Flaming Lips, Basement Jaxx, Orbital [Madness, MGMT, Fleet Foxes]
    2010: Roxy Music, Leftfield, Massive Attack [The National, The Frames, LCD Soundsystem]
    2012: Sigur Ros, The Killers, The Cure, Orbital [Elbow, Christy Moore, Hot Chip, the xx]
    2013: Fat Boy Slim, Arctic Monkeys, Bjork, Robert Plant [My Bloody Valentine, the Knife, David Byrne & St Vincent]
    2016: LCD Soundsystem, Lana Del Ray, Chemical Brothers [Noel Gallagher, New Order]

Great post.

(Grace Jones also played 2008.)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

I'd love to relive 2011 again , great headliners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I'd love to relive 2011 again , great headliners

2011 was banging, my absolute best picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Great post. I'm a fan of this years line up, i think it has a great mix again.

On your point that they are returning to type, that may be fair, but where a lot people would feel they could pull out something special is because a. they now have another 20k tickets, which is a not inconsequential sum of money, and they also have significantly more commercial partnerships. I think LCD last year was a good example of a major major name. I think, without going all adele or ed sheeran, that with those kinds of numbers that people could be ok expecting a major act. I love the line up, but i do think they are creaming it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DOOu3wPQfE

i think that A tribe called quest will be good for anyone looking for hip-hop, would be better in a tent though like Joseph Bada$$ last year.

Advertisement