Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

MJohnston wrote: »
    The Salty Dog stage is about as rocky as EP will ever get, and I think that's fine, it was never in EPs wheelhouse to be a rock festival.
    The Salty Dog? I suppose rock is a very broad spectrum but it's the last place I'd look.
    Over the years there's been plenty to get my teeth into; ASIWYFA, Overheard The Albatross, BATS, Adebisi Shank, Savages, Battles, Arctic Monkeys, My Bloody Valentine to name a few.

There's nothing akin to that this year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

One of my favourite ever shows at the Picnic was watching Girl Band absolutely shred the Salty Dog one year. So so good.

There isn't much in the way of harder rock stuff this year so hopefully a little more might be added.

Guess one thing to note is that some of the stuff listed there - ASIWYFA, Overhead the Albatross, etc - are Irish and those tend to be added a little later on after the international names so could be something decent yet t come.

Never got into Adebisi Shank, though. Or Cast of Cheers, despite all the critic love.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Saw The Minutes on the Salty Dog one year, unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Salty Dog? I suppose rock is a very broad spectrum but it's the last place I'd look.
    Over the years there's been plenty to get my teeth into; ASIWYFA, Overheard The Albatross, BATS, Adebisi Shank, Savages, Battles, Arctic Monkeys, My Bloody Valentine to name a few.

There's nothing akin to that this year so far.

Don't forget the Stooges in 2007, LCD had a heavier sound back in 2005, God is an Astronaut, Clinic (2012), Robert Plant (old school heavy rock 2013), The Eels, Mogwai, Sonic Youth, Jesus and the Mary Chain to name another lot.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Don't forget the Stooges in 2007, LCD had a heavier sound back in 2005, God is an Astronaut, Clinic (2012), Robert Plant (old school heavy rock 2013), The Eels, Mogwai, Sonic Youth, Jesus and the Mary Chain to name another lot.

The pistols in 08

• Advertisement

Yeah, all true. Don't know or recall Clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

My Bloody Valentine wouldn't exactly be considered easy listening either.

Poorside wrote: »

I mentioned them above.

No, I can't see a case for them being called easy-listening.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

a nondescript wall of overpowered grumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah, all true. Don't know or recall Clinic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I saw Jurassic 5 on the main stage a year or so ago and I would put ATCQ at the same level.
    I probably won't be bothered heading over - if they were in a tent, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Unfortunately, EP has consistently shown that it's not that type of festival. This year more than ever. Fingers crossed for something in the last announcement or in Body and Soul.

Why unfortunately?

It can't be all things to all men, it's always leaned towards dance and indie acts. It's not a mosh-pit type of festival.

Public Enemy played EP about 4 years ago. Arguably the lead act of Prophets of Rage. I think we'd also welcome Rage Against The Machine & Cypress Hill to Stradbally.

I may be wrong but I'd expect most Picnic-goers would welcome a politically motivated band set up to directly combat the Trump candidacy. And I'd be in the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Oh, but it is such a beautiful wall! 
    Funny, I always think of MBV in terms of a 'wall of noise'. Remember when I saw them live when I were young [late 80's/early 90's in Mandela Hall, Belfast] - came away thinking in terms of 'wall of noise' as regards the music. Remember I had tinnitus for days afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Exactly, and isn't it lovely,if they ever release a new album that should be the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Prophets of Rage would be most welcome. We all know in our hearts that that is not going to happen.

On an aside... Listening to Peter Perrett's new album today. I had no idea this was coming so a lovely surprise. Really excellent. No idea if any live dates will happen, but that would be a nice treat.

Edit... Bloody auto correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I see London Grammars gig in the Olympia sold out in about 30 seconds! Not a huge venue, but gives an idea of demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nugget89 wrote: »
    We heard you the first time.
    And I'm still willing to do you a favour and take it off your hands.

No camping . But I've promised it to someone else for €€€.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I see London Grammars gig in the Olympia sold out in about 30 seconds! Not a huge venue, but gives an idea of demand

No surprise there. Tent was jammers last time out. Set was mesmerising.

So Nile Rogers announced at Glastonbury that he was Cancer free after being diagnosed with cancer and told to get his affairs in order, 6 years previous. Puts a different spin on his EP gig.

Snarky Snark Snark

So Nile Rogers announced at Glastonbury that he was Cancer free after being diagnosed with cancer and told to get his affairs in order, 6 years previous. Puts a different spin on his EP gig.

Pretty sure he gave the same speech at his EP gig though

• Advertisement

Good guitarist.

Damm it! Does that mean Ive been douped by the generic style "you're the best crowd we've ever had" type of thing! Albeit to a whole new level using cancer!

Good guitarist.

Bass solo at Glastonbury whoha!! Unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

No surprise there. Tent was jammers last time out. Set was mesmerising.

Really was. I wasn't a fan of them at all, when we got to the tent I said I'd get the beers in, off I trotted and when I heard her voice I just turned around and went back to the gang and stayed the entire time. Her voice is incredible...I imagine they will be main stage which is a pity, much more suited to a tent but there are a must see this year

Snarky Snark Snark

Damm it! Does that mean Ive been douped by the generic style "you're the best crowd we've ever had" type of thing! Albeit to a whole new level using cancer!

yarp... check the date
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/guitarist-nile-rodgers-im-all-clear-of-cancer-20130731

The man was never one not to toot his own horn in anyway that he could
    as in "here's one i wrote with my great friend David Bowie / Daft Punk / Pharrell / Madonna / Duran Duran / Inxs etc etc et-fcuking c"

He's a legend, but a totally stuffed full of his own BS legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

*triggered*

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭charlietully

My list of would like to see (but wont be devastated if I don't) is as follows:
    Cue drum roll:
    Pete Tong
    Phoneix
    Madness
    Soulwax
    Bicep
    Hannah Wants
    Car Seat Headrest
    Parquet courts
    Japandroids
    Kelly lee owens
    Alma
    Goat girl
    Aaron Lee Tarjan
    Brand new friend
    Whatever happens the craic will be mighty and no doubt an undiscovered gem or two will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Royal blood and white lies be good additions too

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Whoo, chances of Royal Blood must be low to zero, unfortunately:(
    They are playing 3Arena in a few months.
    Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭charlietully

is there any likelihood of any more additions at this stage, its as weak of a line up as Ive ever seen, very scant on the heavier side of things, in recent years we had the likes of metz, viet cong, otherkin, fangclub, girl band, fat white family who aren't heavy but bring a distinct edgier sound, its quite bland this year apart from goat girl. Plenty to enjoy but not much to jump around too.

Advertisement