Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

MJohnston wrote: »
    Seen him before at a work event. The guy has talent within a particular sound, but its just one that doesn't suit EP whatsoever imo. Underworld have a kind of experimental side to them that sets them apart from the trance scene. Fatboy Slim is about as mucky a dance act as EP have ever booked, and I don't even think he would be as bad as deadmau5.

Played the Picnic years ago though didn't he when he was first breaking through? Yeah do agree he'd be an outlier from your normal EP dance act but he's done Glastonbury recently. Admittedly biased as a fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Since there are plenty of dance/synth acts been thrown around as contenders, might as well throw Depeche Mode into the mix, be great to see Dave Gahan jumping around a stage in Stradbally!!!!!!!!

They'd be perfect, or would have been perfect for what the festival was in it's first 7-8 years.

Starting to go a bit 1975/Sam Smith-y in the last few years, i would love to see Depeche Mode headline though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Played the Picnic years ago though didn't he when he was first breaking through? Yeah do agree he'd be an outlier from your normal EP dance act but he's done Glastonbury recently. Admittedly biased as a fan!

Looks like he played 2008, though I didn't remember that at all, so I'm guessing that was way before he was big.

I dunno, I'm always fairly good about drawing a line between what I personally don't like musically, and what I think wouldn't work for EP, but the festival is changing, so its entirely possible he could be booked at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Since there are plenty of dance/synth acts been thrown around as contenders, might as well throw Depeche Mode into the mix, be great to see Dave Gahan jumping around a stage in Stradbally!!!!!!!!
    They'd be perfect, or would have been perfect for what the festival was in it's first 7-8 years.

Starting to go a bit 1975/Sam Smith-y in the last few years, i would love to see Depeche Mode headline though.

Would love that too, but they don't really do the whole festival thing, and they'v e turned down Glastonbury so I'd say it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Would love that too, but they don't really do the whole festival thing, and they'v e turned down Glastonbury so I'd say it's unlikely.

They did a few festivals around Europe in 2013, I think!!!,so its not beyond the realms of possibility , be one hell of a scoop if they would do EP, alas another dream like headliner that wont happen I guess.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tago Mago wrote: »

Yes he played in 2008 in the Bodytonic tent I think and that was actually moved out that year nearer the campsite, Bodytonic kicked up fcuk about that one and departed EP before the 2009 one. It was the only time I think headliners played in a marquee in the campsite. As far as I know Bodytonic was in the main arena from 2004 to 2007 it was always a blue and yellow stripe tent, Rankin's wood and Electric Arena being bigger versions of that same style.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Mid 40's first timer tickets bought
    Which of the boutique camping options would people recommend
    We are much too soft for the regular campsite
    Maybe Air B&B could be another option!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Mid 40's first timer tickets bought
    Which of the boutique camping options would people recommend
    We are much too soft for the regular campsite
    Maybe Air B&B could be another option!!!!

Pink Moon is probably the cheaper of the on-site ones. Stayed there the last few years and it's great.

I'd hate not staying on site. The thoughts of having to get a taxi at 4am or whenever you finish up is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Loved PMC too. Just to be warned tho, even though the state quiet time 1-7, it really does depend on where on the site you are. Last year we were towards the back and it was quiet. Not much passing traffic. Far enough from arena that the music was only a barely audible. This year we were on the main drag. Lots of people passing all the time. Bar across from us and could hear music til about 4am. Really depends on whether you like to sleep during normal hours or crash & burn at brekkie time :) Im sure if you have a pref they will try to accommodate

Yes he played in 2008 in the Bodytonic tent I think and that was actually moved out that year nearer the campsite, Bodytonic kicked up fcuk about that one and departed EP before the 2009 one. It was the only time I think headliners played in a marquee in the campsite. As far as I know Bodytonic was in the main arena from 2004 to 2007 it was always a blue and yellow stripe tent, Rankin's wood and Electric Arena being bigger versions of that same style.

Bodytonic were really ****ed over that year - especially considering how much they were integral to the success of the festival at the beginning, and considering how much effort and money they put into their lineup that year. Ironically, a tent in the same location nowadays at EP would probably get a decent crowd in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

What about Moby? Been a while since he was in Europe. Played a few gigs in the states this year. Setlists were decent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

setanta74 wrote: »
    What about Moby? Been a while since he was in Europe. Played a few gigs in the states this year. Setlists were decent.

Good shout, would be fairly cool alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

setanta74 wrote: »

Only thought of him the other day. Would be a great booking imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

anyone see these guys on body and soul main stage, thought they were very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJUwvhShPec&list=PLdotjTcK5OghynptsDPeMoWCE8mJ7o1eU
    I caught the last two tracks. Very impressive. My pals had been there for the entire set and loved it. Lots of decent new Irish acts on that stage over the weekend. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Cage The Elephant if they're still touring. I was really hoping they'd be there this year as they are touring Europe the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Bodytonic were really ****ed over that year - especially considering how much they were integral to the success of the festival at the beginning, and considering how much effort and money they put into their lineup that year. Ironically, a tent in the same location nowadays at EP would probably get a decent crowd in comparison.

I remember seeing Modeselektor up there in that tent that year.. it was epic. One of my all time favourite EP sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

What happened with Bodytonic?

D.Q wrote: »
    What happened with Bodytonic?

They put a huge amount of effort into creating their own little area of the festival, with three full stages (Bodytonic, Twisted Pepper, and Bernard Shaw stages) and lots of great acts. Then, come the festival, turned out the area was shoved into a corner of the Wilde campsite barely made it onto the fading edges of the site map (where it was incorrectly positioned as "Dance Village"), and where there was basically zero signage to direct people. This was also when the Wilde campsite was about as outlying on the site you could get, and there were far fewer peripheral stages to draw people away from the main arena (don't even think Salty Dog was where it ended up).

Unsurprisingly, the area was basically empty for the entire weekend, aside from a few big name draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Thats a shame. Bodytonic seem to be going from strength to strength, always really cool events.

Site Map for 2008, you can see the Dance Village (Bodytonic et all) just outside the main arena.

fullmap2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i think EP drastically cut the funding they were allocating to them to book acts for the next year too, so they just decided to stop running a bodytonic tent altogether.

So who started the Little Big Tent that looks like it came from the Bodytonic people, it was the dance tent for a while anyway and still is when New Jackson, Daniel Avery and Panthu Du Prince and the likes play it.

So who started the Little Big Tent that looks like it came from the Bodytonic people, it was the dance tent for a while anyway and still is when New Jackson, Daniel Avery and Panthu Du Prince and the likes play it.

Think that has just been the festival organisers themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was surprised at the crowd Avery managed to pull. He's not exactly mainstream

MadYaker wrote: »
    I was surprised at the crowd Avery managed to pull. He's not exactly mainstream

I suppose the strength of the Drone Logic album itself pulled that crowd and the Boiler Room sets, no pussy footing with Daniel Avery.

Where was Bodytonic? - Oh roysh.

2007 it was in the main arena

Electricpicnicmap2007.jpg

And in 2008 it was outside the main arena in the Oscar Wilde campsite under the name Dance Village with two other marquees.

fullmap2.png

They seemed to be involved with Life Festival these days and I'm sure they ran nights at Rave in the Woods a few times too, so still some minor involvement with the Picnic post 2008.

Come to think of it its the now Salty Dog entrance into the main arena, Bodytonic would have been to the right of you when you entered the main arena from Oscar Wilde campsite.

Come to think of it its the now Salty Dog entrance into the main arena, Bodytonic would have been to the right of you when you entered the main arena from Oscar Wilde campsite.

It's not even that corner of Wilde (which would be relatively close to the arena), its the one in the south east corner, Salty Dog is North East. Closest thing to where it was now is Trenchtown, and even that's much closer into the arena (though I never know how busy TT really gets as I've never hung out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

So who started the Little Big Tent that looks like it came from the Bodytonic people,

Aren't all those tents just leased?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I vaugely remember a bit of trouble when the body tonic tent was in wilde? Did a large group move their tents inside the body tonic tent or something like that?

Remember it being empty every time I passed it.

Advertisement