Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

If the eco is where I think it is, by the Sunday morning it looked no different to any of the others when I walked past it going to the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

maximoose wrote: »
    If the eco is where I think it is, by the Sunday morning it looked no different to any of the others when I walked past it going to the car park

Think you might be mistaking it for another area.

Monday morning last year:

isPhrZ.jpg

Monday morning from a few years back when it was part of Wilde campsite:

usEoVf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Excellent, really glad I booked a spot now!!

Excellent, really glad I booked a spot now!!

You won't regret it, anyone i know who's camped there has become a regular.

Talking about getting showers for this year to go with the giant board games and cinema tent showing films from about 1am-6am last year:

sIIKdR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, it was pretty much spotless in there all weekend and on Monday. loads of space between tents too.

• Advertisement

yeah, it was pretty much spotless in there all weekend and on Monday. loads of space between tents too.

They've doubled the places this year, be interesting to see if they try to squeeze them all into the same space.

They've doubled the places this year, be interesting to see if they try to squeeze them all into the same space.

Ah sure I'm only small I don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did these guys ever play Electric Picnic, Kelly-Anne Byrne got me into these guys and their excellent cover of Neil Young's Harvest Moon. Currently listening to their first album Pacific Standard Time which is really nice.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

That' s a very nice rendition, indeed, of a very cool song. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Lzmunky wrote: »
    While that is true, youbcant deny it's gotten a lot messier the last few years.

Lzmunky loves the 2FM reference. It gets wittier every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Will day by day be something like this? If we can keep quoting this post and fill in as we go along

Friday;
    The XX
    London Grammar (In Italy the 3rd, so likey @EP fri)

I notice LG are bumped rather far DOWN the line up poster? Their Dublin and Belfast gigs in nov sold out in 5 minutes (No exaggeration!!), as did their UK gigs!

Saturday
    A tribe called quest
    Pete Tong?
    Interpol (Other gigs on the 1st and 3rd)

I could see Tribe being on early and Pete Tong doing the late night slot, that to me is the only way to make ATCQ work!!

Sunday
    Duran Duran
    Elbow (Their web site says 3rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Interpol on Saturday, they have gigs on 1 and 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Will day by day be something like this? If we can keep quoting this post and fill in as we go along

Sunday
    Duran Duran
    Elbow (Their web site says 3rd)

I will be deeply unimpressed if elbow clash with Duran Duran

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I will be deeply unimpressed if elbow clash with Duran Duran

Ah i can only see Elbow doing Main Stage imo

Snarky Snark Snark

Ah i can only see Elbow doing Main Stage imo

What if they're EA closers though?

One day like this wouldn't be the worst way to end a hopefully excellent weekend

way way way too big to be in the EA. zero chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Off to the Pixies shortly. Now THAT would be the way to close the Electric Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Off to the Pixies shortly. Now THAT would be the way to close the Electric Arena.

I'm surprised they have evaded the Picnic radar for so long along with other groups, many of their contemporaries from the same period Sonic Youth, Jesus & the Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Junior have played the festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bemmac

Hi guys,
    I'm just wondering has anyone ever volunteered at Electric Picnic before? I've just been offered a spot so I'm wondering if it's worth it and what sort of work is involved? Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Lzmunky

Lzmunky loves the 2FM reference. It gets wittier every time.

And slobberdawn clearly loves 2FM. Or works for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

bemmac wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm just wondering has anyone ever volunteered at Electric Picnic before? I've just been offered a spot so I'm wondering if it's worth it and what sort of work is involved? Thanks in advance!
    Paging Bodhrandude...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Lzmunky wrote: »
    And slobberdawn clearly loves 2FM. Or works for them..

How's that? Because I don't like the line-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I'm setting myself up for a pasting here, but is there a chance that LCD Soundsystem are going to do an unannounced gig at EP? I know it'd be odd to return the year after headlining but hear me out as there are some things that point towards the possibility of it.

1. Murphy said at the end of last year's show that they'd be back this year. Whether meaning EP or Ireland wasn't clear.

2. Their album comes out on the weekend of EP. We know he loves the fest and it could be an appropriate place to launch it.

3. Their European tour starts on 7 September, four days after EP and with no Irish date.

4. When has he last missed EP? I think 2013, and I count eight appearances in all . Four LCD shows, one Despacio and several solo DJ sets or with Pat Mahoney. 
    Though he could easily drop in on his own for yet another DJ slot then join the band in Copenhagen a few days later.

5. Their appearance wouldn't contradict the EP line of already having three headliners as LCD wouldn't be official headliners but a surprise act.

As I say, it's unlikely, and I'm being more hopeful than anything but with a new album & new set it'd be very different to 2016.  Just thinking out loud.

Let the backlash commence.

Snarky Snark Snark

I'd be quite happy if they turned up again, their set was class and if it was a dry weekend then it would just make it better (loved last year but the cold and the damp does not a happy monkey make).

Given how often he's there, he's dangerously close to becoming the house band.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    5. When has he last missed EP? I think 2006, but I could be wrong. Four LCD appearances, one Despacio, one aforementioned unannounced DJ slot and several solo DJ sets or with Pat Mahoney. 
    Though he could easily drop in on his own for yet another DJ slot then join the band in Copenhagen a few days later.
    I don't think he was there in 2011 or 2013?

e: to add, there's absolutely no chance of LCD Soundsystem playing. all their European dates are indoor arenas, and they cost way too much to be unannounced. that's leaving aside the fact that they headlined last year. Murphy DJ set is possible, although probably not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I'm setting myself up for a pasting here, but is there a chance that LCD Soundsystem are going to do an unannounced gig at EP? I know it'd be odd to return the year after headlining but hear me out as there are some things that point towards the possibility of it.

1. Murphy said at the end of last year's show that they'd be back this year. Meaning EP or Ireland wasn't clear.

2. Their album comes out on the weekend of EP. We know he loves the fest and it could be an appropriate place to launch it.

3. Murphy has done an unannounced set before, albeit a DJ slot on the Body & Soul main stage.

4. Their European tour starts on 7 September, four days after EP and with no Irish date.

5. When has he last missed EP? I think 2006, but I could be wrong. Four LCD appearances, one Despacio, one aforementioned unannounced DJ slot and several solo DJ sets or with Pat Mahoney. 

6. Their appearance wouldn't contradict the EP line of already having three headliners as LCD wouldn't be official headliners but a surprise act.

As I say, it's unlikely, and I'm being more hopeful than anything but with a new album & new set it'd be very different to 2016.  Just thinking out loud.

Let the backlash commence.

Im hoping you're right, thinking along the same lines myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I don't think he was there in 2011 or 2013?
    2013 was the special guest DJ slot on the B&S main stage about 1/2am on the Sunday night.
    Can't find anything for 2011. Still checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

bemmac wrote: »
    Hi guys,

You'll be standing around, either checking wristbands or directing people. You can't do anything more involved because you're not qualified.

As to whether it's worth it? It's 24 hours work, possibly very unsocial hours, for something that sells for between 160 and 240 euro, so I guess that's a matter of perspective.

• Advertisement

2013 was the special guest DJ slot after Le Galaxie on the B&S main stage about 1/2am on the Sunday night.
    Can't find anything for 2011. Still checking.
    wasn't that just a rumour that didn't actually happen?
    e: just searched the 2013 thread and no mention afterwards of him actually playing?

Advertisement