Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    2013 was the special guest DJ slot after Le Galaxie on the B&S main stage about 1/2am on the Sunday night.
    Can't find anything for 2011. Still checking.
    wasn't that just a rumour that didn't actually happen?
    e: just searched the 2013 thread and no mention afterwards of him actually playing.
    I think you're right about 2011, can't find anything.

In 2013 I was in the Body & Soul area when Le Galaxie (I think??) were on the main stage, didn't want for the special guests but heard a huge roar on the way out when the surprise act came on and was told the next morning it was Murphy. Can't remember the source and I'd always believed it was true. But if nobody here was at it then it's pretty unlikely it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

just looked through the 2013 thread and a few posts said the surprise guest in B&S was Mount Kimbie, which would make sense as they played a few hours earlier in the Little Big Tent too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86340348&postcount=6263
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86338616&postcount=6253

just looked through the 2013 thread and a few posts said the surprise guest in B&S was Mount Kimbie, which would make sense as they played a few hours earlier in the Little Big Tent too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86340348&postcount=6263
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86338616&postcount=6253
    Cool, thanks. I've corrected the original post. Won't rely on info from hungover pals again.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Just over 7 weeks to EP and there is still a tonne of announcements due by my reckoning:

Final Main Announcement
    CASA
    Rave in Woods
    Red Bull
    Jerry Fish
    Salty Dog
    Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Body and Soul
    Mindfields
    Hazelwood

Plus all the other filler stuff. We'll be getting 2 announcements a week from here on in most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

As it stands I'm quite happy with the line-up but I'd still like to see one or two bigger sub-headline acts, there is still a void on the main stage for a dance act, I know there the Tong classics vibe and that could well be the late night Saturday act but I'd like to see someone like Royksopp added or even Orbital (if lucky). I think we might see the likes of Goldfrapp added, and maybe James Vincent McMorrow. I think there are a couple of surprises left. Maybe that's just me being naïve. I never learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Goldfrapp is in States at that point I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just over 7 weeks to EP and there is still a tonne of announcements due by my reckoning:

Final Main Announcement
    CASA
    Rave in Woods
    Red Bull
    Jerry Fish
    Salty Dog
    Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Body and Soul
    Mindfields
    Hazelwood

Plus all the other filler stuff. We'll be getting 2 announcements a week from here on in most likely

Correct. Although after last year I'm just expecting Irish acts for the rave in the woods and the RBMA, maybe one bigger DJ in the RBMA.

Casa Bacardi usually has about 6 or 7 international DJs, Late Nite Tuff Guy will be one of them I presume (he announced he's playing EP). In the past I have built up my hopes for big announcements in those you have above but we rarely get anything special. Still though, often some of the highlights are Irish bands or djs such as Le Galaxie, King Kong Company, Plutonic Dust, Ships, Talos, Mother djs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

bemmac wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm just wondering has anyone ever volunteered at Electric Picnic before? I've just been offered a spot so I'm wondering if it's worth it and what sort of work is involved? Thanks in advance!

I've been volunteering at EP 5 years now, here is my first review (EP 2011) as a weekend volunteer, so should give you an idea of whats involved. :)
    https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/working-for-your-festival-ticket/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

2013 was the special guest DJ slot on the B&S main stage about 1/2am on the Sunday night.

Are you sure your not mixing that up with Body & Soul festival, he headlined the Friday night at the Midnight Circus I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

Final Main Announcement
    CASA
    Rave in Woods
    Red Bull
    Jerry Fish
    Salty Dog
    Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Body and Soul
    Mindfields
    Hazelwood

Afterdark on the Hazelwood stage being announced this Thursday. That will be the start of it id imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

GidCudi wrote: »
    Afterdark on the Hazelwood stage being announced this Thursday. That will be the start of it id imagine

It's the following Thursday (20th)

"We will reveal our line up for AfterDark In The Hazel Wood at @EPfestival Thursday July 20th

A Magical Escape Amongst the Madness..."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

bemmac wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm just wondering has anyone ever volunteered at Electric Picnic before? I've just been offered a spot so I'm wondering if it's worth it and what sort of work is involved? Thanks in advance!

It's never worth it imo. It's three 8 hour shifts in what is barely a 3 day festival and at least one of them is going to evening or night. Every year I go i always know one or two people doing it but nobody I know has ever done it twice. That's my take on it anyway, I'll always just buy a ticket instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I'm setting myself up for a pasting here, but is there a chance that LCD Soundsystem are going to do an unannounced gig at EP? I know it'd be odd to return the year after headlining but hear me out as there are some things that point towards the possibility of it.

1. Murphy said at the end of last year's show that they'd be back this year. Whether meaning EP or Ireland wasn't clear.

2. Their album comes out on the weekend of EP. We know he loves the fest and it could be an appropriate place to launch it.

3. Their European tour starts on 7 September, four days after EP and with no Irish date.

4. When has he last missed EP? I think 2013, and I count eight appearances in all . Four LCD shows, one Despacio and several solo DJ sets or with Pat Mahoney. 
    Though he could easily drop in on his own for yet another DJ slot then join the band in Copenhagen a few days later.

5. Their appearance wouldn't contradict the EP line of already having three headliners as LCD wouldn't be official headliners but a surprise act.

As I say, it's unlikely, and I'm being more hopeful than anything but with a new album & new set it'd be very different to 2016.  Just thinking out loud.

Let the backlash commence.

I get where you're coming from, I'm not naively hoping daft punk will play or anything of the like + I know they have said "three headliners" etc etc. But I just can't get my head around a tribe called Quest classed as headliners in Ireland!! It just does not sit right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

LCD Soundsystem - as much as I would love them back I can't see it happening. Headlining two years in a row would be very strange and as ghostdancer said the rest of their European gigs are in arenas so I can't see them playing just one outdoor show. Also, the top end of the poster looks pretty settled and I can't see them throwing another headliner on the bill, especially now that it's sold out. Was thinking it was a possibility at one stage but if it was going to happen it would have been in the announcement two weeks ago.

Re: Volunteering - have done it at a festival but not EP, would not do it again tbh. One of my favourite things about going to any festival is being free and not having to worry about anything, but having to volunteer each day took that away. I would more likely do the pre-build that bodhrandude does (and get the weekend free then) but I think you have to be a regular volunteer to sign up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There'd be no complaints from me if they played again, especially with all the new material they're going to have. It's not going to happen I don't think. The lack of Irish gig announcements from them is worrying.

MadYaker wrote: »
    There'd be no complaints from me if they played again, especially with all the new material they're going to have. It's not going to happen I don't think. The lack of Irish gig announcements from them is worrying.
    Murphy was very specific last year in saying they'd be back in 2017. The Picnic is an outside chance but I'd be very surprised not to see a Dublin date (or two) announced if they don't hit Stradbally. Can't see Ireland being a LCD-free zone for 2017.

2013 was the special guest DJ slot on the B&S main stage about 1/2am on the Sunday night.

Are you sure your not mixing that up with Body & Soul festival, he headlined the Friday night at the Midnight Circus I'm sure.
    Yeah, you're right about that set BD. But I'd always thought he was the surprise act for the B&S main stage at EP on the Sun night in 2013. Ghostdancer informed me that it was Mount Kimbie doing a DJ set. That'll teach me to check my facts next time before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Really loving Kiasmos, definitely on my list of must see's!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

whats the chances of dj shadow in europe playing bestival the week after and nothing booked ep weekend

whats the chances of dj shadow in europe playing bestival the week after and nothing booked ep weekend

Yeah he should be due a visit again, missed him last time as I had to work that shift during his gig on the Friday at 2011, but at least I took the toughest shift first as a weekend volunteer, it left me free for Saturday and Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Korvanica wrote: »
    Finally got around to updating the Spotify playlist.

If there's anything missing let me know.

Thanks for sharing this-
    I've had it on in the my car each day for a few weeks now

One suggestion - Bicep's 2016 remix of 808 State's 'In yer face' is only bleeding whopper and worthy of inclusion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Anachronica line up out!

kg703 wrote: »
    Anachronica line up out!

19961327_10155559127034168_8375711347794191554_n.jpg?oh=e136fc15e5f341ae440e641898c47ef5&oe=5A046BA4

kg703 wrote: »
    Anachronica line up out!

Sunil Sharpe & John Daly - nice one!
    Cait & Dece I've caught on mixcloud & radio na life- two good young Irish Dj's added there

I've heard good things about Cailín Power & Mode_1 set's at District 8 from the younger brother & his pals.
    Looking forward to catching them all in the woods!!

Sunil in the woods will be bangin

room_149 wrote: »
    Sunil Sharpe & John Daly - nice one!
    Cait & Dece I've caught on mixcloud & radio na life- two good young Irish Dj's added there

I've heard good things about Cailín Power & Mode_1 set's at District from the younger brother. Looking forward to them all!!
    ELLLL is really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I apologise in advance, but is this the rave in the woods replacement?

Thanks for the tip- good to see the Picnic booking plenty of female DJs too this year

I apologise in advance, but is this the rave in the woods replacement?

I guess it is, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Advertisement