Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Yeah that all seems pretty realistic but I still think one or two of Interpol, Father John Misty and Run the Jewels could end up on the main stage with someone like Annie Mac headlining EA. Kiasmos in the Rankin Wood tent will be incredible

would hope Fr John Misty and Band Of Horses both play EA as to avoid any clash

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Yeah that all seems pretty realistic but I still think one or two of Interpol, Father John Misty and Run the Jewels could end up on the main stage with someone like Annie Mac headlining EA. Kiasmos in the Rankin Wood tent will be incredible

Interpol are doing Turn on the Bright Lights in full on this tour so imagine they'll be headlining the EA. It wouldn't really work on the main stage.

Run the Jewels would be a big enough draw for the main stage and their set would suit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Am I the only one who thinks Run the Jewels are ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

Think Mura Masa has a good chance of going on last 12:30am on sat in electric arena, years &a years were on at that time last year.

Peter tong I think would be better in the electric arena also, everyone mentions the post headliner sat dance act on main stage but that no longer exists

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Synode wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Run the Jewels are ****e
    I think they've got some great material, but I went to see them at Field Day in 2015 and they were very poor. May have been an off day but the live footage I've seen since leaves me cold. I realise it's all subjective but most hip-hop acts don't work live for me, notable exceptions being Nas at EP last year, The Roots, Public Enemy & a few others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I think they've got some great material, but I went to see them at Field Day in 2015 and they were very poor. May have been an off day but the live footage I've seen since leaves me cold. I realise it's all subjective but most hip-hop acts don't work live for me, notable exceptions being Nas at EP last year, The Roots, Public Enemy & a few others.

I *love* RTJ, but I fear I'm much the same as yourself in regards to live hip-hop - it's just somewhat disappointing to hear someone rapping over a DJ.

That said, I think there's a few ways around it - the first is pure theatricality, the second is incorporating live instruments like The Roots, the third is just having a tonne of absolute bangers as your tunes. I feel like RTJ fit well into that last category, and it probably just doesn't come across well in footage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

MJohnston wrote: »
    I *love* RTJ, but I fear I'm much the same as yourself in regards to live hip-hop - it's just somewhat disappointing to hear someone rapping over a DJ.

That said, I think there's a few ways around it - the first is pure theatricality, the second is incorporating live instruments like The Roots, the third is just having a tonne of absolute bangers as your tunes. I feel like RTJ fit well into that last category, and it probably just doesn't come across well in footage at all.

Can you name me some "absolute bangers" that run the jewels have? I've tried to listen to them a few times as they played longitude last year now EP but have yet to hear a song I like

I think they'd work really well in a small-ish venue but the larger the setting the more lost I think they'll be. Reckon they'll be headlining the EA or on the main stage and I'll check them out again but I'm not hopeful. I expect some rave reports here on Monday 4th Sept,  all a matter of taste. I'd like nothing more than to be wrong about them.

showpony1 wrote: »

Can you name me some "absolute bangers" that run the jewels have? I've tried to listen to them a few times as they played longitude last year now EP but have yet to hear a song I like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I think they'd work really well in a small-ish venue but the larger the setting the more lost I think they'll be. Reckon they'll be headlining the EA or on the main stage and I'll check them out again but I'm not hopeful. I expect some rave reports here on Monday 4th Sept,  all a matter of taste. I'd like nothing more than to be wrong about them.

Agreed, think they'd be wasted on the main stage. Hip hop usually better suited to smaller enclosed spaces that can generate an atmosphere in my limited experience.

• Advertisement

showpony1 wrote: »

I mean, it's possible that you just don't like them, which is fine!

That said, if you listen to this on a proper soundsystem and tell me it's not a banger:

I'd have to doubt your commitment to Bangerology and Bangeronomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any festivals streaming this weekend, looking forward to Beatyard next week. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Whilst we're in hip-hop mode, can't wait for the Tribe:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Run The Jewels absolutely smashed it on the pyramid stage at glasto this year. The crowd was fûcking massive thanks to Jeremy Corbyn and they had the whole field rocking. I wouldn't worry about them being on the main stage at all get right down the front and it'll be rowdy as fûck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Agreed, think they'd be wasted on the main stage. Hip hop usually better suited to smaller enclosed spaces that can generate an atmosphere in my limited experience.

Hip hop's not really my thing but I think the angry, frenetic stuff really needs a smaller venue. The more chilled out, old school stuff can work well in the wide open spaces. I thought Jurassic 5 were great on the main stage on a sunny Sunday afternoon a couple of years ago and the main stage should suit A Tribe Called Quest just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Short on bangers but the Aldous Harding album is pretty beautiful. I'm really looking forward to her. She supported somebody in the Iveagh Gardens recently. Anyone see her?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 WexTex

Forget the scones. You had me at Chai ...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Actually agree Run The Jewels headlining the EA would create an unreal atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Big Run the Jewels fan but was left very deflated after watching them at Primavera this year. Few sound issues didn't help but a lot of the songs just fell a little flat for me. Killer Mike and El-P are great on stage, though. They really know how to work a crowd so I reckon in the right setting, it'd be very good. A big outdoor stage didn't do it so I'm crossing my fingers for an indoor show.

Interpol, too, would be much better in the EA than the main stage but they always play main stage here so I won't be surprised if they end up there again.

Father John Misty had a big crowd on the main stage at Longitude last year too so wouldn't be surprised if he was on the main at about 7pm. Again, though, someone I'd much rather seen indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Lady Danger

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Short on bangers but the Aldous Harding album is pretty beautiful. I'm really looking forward to her. She supported somebody in the Iveagh Gardens recently. Anyone see her?

She was supposed to support Belle and Sebastian but cancelled due to illness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not interested in Run the Jewels, not my type of music at all, but I did see them at Primavera and thought they put on a good show (apart from some sound issues). I'd say they would be much better suited to the Electric Arena but they are popular enough to draw a big crowd on the main stage too. Presumably it will be between them and London Grammar for who headlines the EA and who plays before the XX on the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Tl dr; If you say you like rap music, RTJ are a must-see.

Seen RTJ @ Primavera in 2015, then again in the Olympia this year. Both cracking gigs. Bangers aplenty! Will be shocked if any issues with atmosphere @ EP.

They both know how to work a crowd - I reckon the Picnic will lap them up.

On a more music criticism note....

Listen to my fair share of rap music although far far away from being an expert. To my untutored ear, Killer Mike and El-P both appear to be extremely impressive from a technical rapping point of view with both of them capable of unleashing sustained bursts of rhyming without relying too heavily on the other guy filling in the end of lots of lines to let them catch breath. Serious health warning on that comment though - I don't really know what I'm talking about on this subject plus am biased in favour of RTJ - I spent an absurd amount of money on one of their t shirts in the direct aftermath of the aforementioned Primavera gig. That much Heineken over the course of a weekend does strange things to my brain - Prima is basically the only place I ever drink it

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

One more RTJ note... I feel compelled to share the lyric below. An all-time classic imo. Next time the group you're chatting with makes your head want to explode, stand up, scream this at them and storm out the door.
    You can all run naked backwards through a field of dicks!

Tune it's from is a banger too

Listen to my fair share of rap music although far far away from being an expert. To my untutored ear, Killer Mike and El-P both appear to be extremely impressive from a technical rapping point of view with both of them capable of unleashing sustained bursts of rhyming without relying too heavily on the other guy filling in the end of lots of lines to let them catch breath. Serious health warning on that comment though - I don't really know what I'm talking about on this subject plus am biased in favour of RTJ

I think Killer Mike has excellent flow (look, I'm a white guy using the word flow, I apologise already) and really great technically. EL-P is not bad either, much better at production though!

In terms of popular rap, I'd say KM is up there with Big Boi, Rakim, Ghostface, Biggie, Busta in terms of technicality. Personally, honestly, Q-Tip is my absolute favourite for flow, technicality, smoothness, musical quality of his voice, etc. The way he and Phife used to interact on Tribe songs was absolutely perfect too.

RIP Phife!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think Killer Mike has excellent flow (look, I'm a white guy using the word flow, I apologise already) and really great technically. EL-P is not bad either, much better at production though!

In terms of popular rap, I'd say KM is up there with Big Boi, Rakim, Ghostface, Biggie, Busta in terms of technicality. Personally, honestly, Q-Tip is my absolute favourite for flow, technicality, smoothness, musical quality of his voice, etc. The way he and Phife used to interact on Tribe songs was absolutely perfect too.

RIP Phife!

Google translate isnt making this any easier to read

Google translate isnt making this any easier to read

I dunno, flow is like an all-encompassing term for general cadence, cadence in relation to the beat, and how complex the rhyming can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

31ST JULY 2017
    Talos, New Jackson and many more are amongst the newest acts confirmed for Other Voices.
    This September, Other Voices will return to the heart of the woods with an eclectic line up, celebrating the diversity of Irish talent alongside engaging international artists. In keeping with the ethos of Other Voices, festival-goers can expect memorable and intimate performances in a unique setting, with surprise special guests and rising talent from home and abroad.

Festival goers will be treated to a performance from rising Cork musician Talos, showcasing songs from his acclaimed debut album 'Wild Alee'. Irish music veteran David Kitt brings his inventive electronic project New Jackson to the Other Voices stage, while grunge-rock trio Bitch Falcon guarantee big riffs and powerhouse vocals. British electropop artist PIXX makes her Other Voices debut as well as hotly tipped R&B quartet Supersilly. Berlin based singer-songwriter Tom Adams (who shares a manager with Nils Frahm) joins us for his first Irish performance and poet Stephen James Smith returns with thought provoking words and distinct Dublin humour. Striking lyrics and well-crafted tunes can be expected from Jack O’Rourke joined by special guest Hattie Webb - a harpist described by Leonard Cohen as “flawless, uplifting and utterly original”. Ailbhe Reddy and Jealous Of The Birds provide poignant songs with infectious melodies, while post-punk quartet Slow Riot revel in angular arrangements with stadium sized hooks. Rising punk-pop band Pillow Queens will show us why they’re the sharpest new band in Dublin, while special guests Booka Brass return to Other Voices to kick start the weekend with a bang.

Keep an eye out for one more announcement to come over the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Bitch Falcon is a great addition, lineup is really starting to flesh out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I've liked what I've heard so far form Pillow Queens and Slow Riot so another two to add to my list!

Advertisement