Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I wonder will it be worth paying the extra 25 quid to go down on the Thursday. Many other doing it?

There's not going to be any entertainment other than what you make yourself.

You'll need to add in another days supplies and foods (though your username suggests that's not an issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I wonder will it be worth paying the extra 25 quid to go down on the Thursday. Many other doing it?

Personally it's not for me. I'm too old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

kg703 wrote: »
    Ahhhh, why did I think you could get a day pass for other days. That's prob why its Sunday only because it would prob be too easy to get in otherwise. Always the option of sleeping in a car I guess :pac:

They only really want to see Interpol anyway :D

There are actually a number of Day Passes that are given to residents. These are valid for any one day entry. A number of years ago I bought one from someone and went down on the Friday, got into the campsite easy enough on the Friday night and then after a herculean effort managed to get into the main arena on the Saturday. Again it was easy enough to get into the campsite on the Saturday night. I'd had my fun and didn't risk it again on the Sunday and just went home.

I'm not advocating any of the above but it is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

A few of us are. Its my birthday the friday so gonna ring it in from Stradbally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Unless they start offering Thursday food services, I don't see the point. It makes sense if you're in a campervan, but for a tent, there's too much you'd need that's on the banned items list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

mgkelly wrote: »
    mgkelly wrote: »
    Agree that Jerry Fish always good for stuff. Have seen a few good acts in recent years, including Frank & Walters, Brian Deady & CrowBlackChicken. Any or all of these would be nice!!

Throw in Sultans two years back and Engine Alley last year, class nostalgia.
    Gosh, that would have been class. Never seen Sultans of Ping. Couldn't go last year.

Agree with the comments about noise from outside Jerry Fish tent was VERY VERY annoying last year - ruining an excellently organised tent with sh1te music generically played. Frank & Walters were excellent.
    Also missed Sultans 2 years ago and was guteed after, but I had lost any sense of time at Despacio ( Safety Dance 12" in particular warped my fragile little brain....)  :angel:

32 sleeps to go - and Castlepalooza to go this weekend - brilliant little festival if anyone needs something class to do this weekend - always a great weekend in spite of the weather usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

Have we any predictions for the next main stage announcement? Excitement is bubbling away, and some vicious rumors are always appreciated to get me through a working day

I'd guess Picture This, Christy Moore and possibly Kasabian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

dmm82 wrote: »
    A few of us are. Its my birthday the friday so gonna ring it in from Stradbally :)

I hit 3-0 on the Thursday, but im in PM which was another extra (10?) cost and that's a bit cheeky so Ill have to just keep ringing it in extra hard on Fri/Sat/Sun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

Have we any predictions for the next main stage announcement? Excitement is bubbling away, and some vicious rumors are always appreciated to get me through a working day
    I posted a while back and would be shocked if at least 3 of Otherkin, King Kong Company, Fang Club, Hare Squead, All Tvvins, Le Galaxie Buffalo Sunn and Brand New Friend were not added. 
    Jerry Fish tent maybe Sultans of Ping / Dave Couse / The Pale / Something Happens ...)
    Also Wolf Alice, Cabbage, The Blinders and Battles would be affordable additions that those cheap b*stards might deign to improve the line up with !!  
    If VERY VERY lucky Ride would return also.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Would absolutely love if John Grant was announced for one of the smaller stages :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Poorside wrote: »
    Stone Roses are certain, Friday night in EA.

Don't play with my emotions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

There's not going to be any entertainment other than what you make yourself.

You'll need to add in another days supplies and foods (though your username suggests that's not an issue).

I'd say it'll be similar to back in the days of Oxegen when people would land into the campsite the day before any acts were on and were entertained by the general buzz and smuggled-in sound systems.

*noted - bring a bigger bag of cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I posted a while back and would be shocked if at least 3 of Otherkin, King Kong Company, Fang Club, Hare Squead, All Tvvins, Le Galaxie Buffalo Sunn and Brand New Friend were not added. 
    Jerry Fish tent maybe Sultans of Ping / Dave Couse / The Pale / Something Happens ...)
    Also Wolf Alice, Cabbage, The Blinders and Battles would be affordable additions that those cheap b*stards might deign to improve the line up with !!  
    If VERY VERY lucky Ride would return also.

Brand New Friend have already been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Wow. Anyone know anything about Laurie Shaw? Just came across him while trawling through Body and Soul line up. English bloke living in Cork/ Kenmare. 50 odd albums to his name, the fecking mentaller! I'm loving him, quirky lyrics, some lovely jangly guitar, seems like a right character. The little surprises just keep on coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Wow. Anyone know anything about Laurie Shaw? Just came across him while trawling through Body and Soul line up. English bloke living in Cork/ Kenmare. 50 odd albums to his name, the fecking mentaller! I'm loving him, quirky lyrics, some lovely jangly guitar, seems like a right character. The little surprises just keep on coming.

Alright Laurie mate, how's things? How's the 51st album coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

MJohnston wrote: »
    Unless they start offering Thursday food services, I don't see the point. It makes sense if you're in a campervan, but for a tent, there's too much you'd need that's on the banned items list.

Surely there'll be food vans open if they're charging the extra to head down a day early? If not I'd say there'll be a lot of fairly hangry campers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was considering this myself, I usually like having a bit of a campsite session over the weekend and Thursday night would be good to get it out of the way so I'm not tempted to have an extra can or two on the Saturday and miss some acts! Will probably decide the week of when I can see the weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Surely there'll be food vans open if they're charging the extra to head down a day early? If not I'd say there'll be a lot of fairly hangry campers!!

Well the festival is attached to Stradbally town with three or four takeaways/cafes, a super valu and daybreak and 4 or 5 pubs, so its not out in the middle of nowhere anyways.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Alright Laurie mate, how's things? How's the 51st album coming along?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Loving Get Down Edits. No idea what announcement they came in and they're not on the poster. But they are in the A - Z listing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Synode wrote: »
    Loving Get Down Edits. No idea what announcement they came in and they're not on the poster. But they are in the A - Z listing
    they were on the Casa Bacardi announcement IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Synode wrote: »

Yeah love them! Seen them a good few times. Same lines as mother and Kelly Ann Byrne!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Hey guys, quick Q

A friend is considering coming down for just a day but are they able to get into a campsite afterwards? I stay in Pink Moon so I know they wont get in there but can you walk freely into the other campsites if they wanted to stay and then head in the morning instead? Ive walked into the other campsites with friends but I would have had a full wristband just can't recall whether they are checked or what going in....? Damn patchy memories!

A friend of ours has done this several times .. came down for the Sunday and stayed in our campervan that night. I do not remember his wristband ever being checked going out of the arena into the campsites.
    There are checks on wristbands on the Sunday night (though maybe erratic) when leaving at the Hendrix exit. I've been checked a few times there, particularly when it gets to 1/2am.
    However no checks via the exit beside the Salty Dog as daytrippers allowed to go to SD/Hazel Woods/Other Voices/Rave, etc. Thus the way to stay is head out that way. Can't see you being stopped making your way from there to the campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Well the festival is attached to Stradbally town with three or four takeaways/cafes, a super valu and daybreak and 4 or 5 pubs, so its not out in the middle of nowhere anyways.

Ah ok, I wasn't too sure how far of a trek it was from campsite to stradbally town. Right craic in the pubs Thursday night then I'd wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Chances of the Orb being announced??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Hey guys, quick Q

A friend is considering coming down for just a day but are they able to get into a campsite afterwards? I stay in Pink Moon so I know they wont get in there but can you walk freely into the other campsites if they wanted to stay and then head in the morning instead? Ive walked into the other campsites with friends but I would have had a full wristband just can't recall whether they are checked or what going in....? Damn patchy memories!

This should work unless theres a major change of policy. If your friend manages to get a ticket I'd 99.9% say you could get into the camp sites. I've never been asked for a wrist band heading out of the main arena. If unlucky enough to be asked they could play dumb and ask something like "where do the busses go from" wait a few min or try again at another exit.

In 15' Sunday night at the salty dog, must have been 4am this lady practically threw herself at me, (gigady gigady!) Didn't sit right but quickly figured she didn't have anywhere to stay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Fatfrog wrote: »
    This should work unless theres a major change of policy. If your friend manages to get a ticket I'd 99.9% say you could get into the camp sites. I've never been asked for a wrist band heading out of the main arena. If unlucky enough to be asked they could play dumb and ask something like "where do the busses go from" wait a few min or try again at another exit.

Bang on here from my own experience. The missus & co usually come down for the Sunday only with day passes in tow and have never experienced any major hassle getting out to the camp sites.
    Just don't do the Ban-Garda/ John wayne hands in the pockets style strut when you're walking up to them I guess!!
    Play dumb, smile & be sound to the security folks if they ask to see the wristbands. You'll get through one of the gates.

(apologies to any Ban-Garda on here/ or any sensitive souls who find the term offensive in 2017!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

In 15' Sunday night at the salty dog, must have been 4am this lady practically threw herself at me, (gigady gigady!) Didn't sit right but quickly figured she didn't have anywhere to stay ;)

Giggidy, the word is Giggidy.

30 sleeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's not leaving the main arena that is the problem, the day-trippers are allowed into Salty Dog etc, it's when you get to the entrance to the campsites that you might have an issue. Maybe not a problem for Hendrix and Wilde but there is always someone checking at the entrance to Joplin.

To the person who asked the question - give it a try but you'd better have a plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

there have definitely been checks between the Salty Dog and Wilde campsite on Sundays in previous years. having said that, I think it's only at night, as I can't remember the checks being there when you're going into the arena earlier in the day, I think they're just at the normal entrance/exit until a certain time, then they move the stewards back at to check the Wilde entrance/exit.

I'm pretty certain I've had my wristband checked going back through the normal entrance/exit to the Salty Dog on Friday/Saturday too.

Advertisement