Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

SoundofSilence is right- Stradbally is not the place for Radiohead. I'm also a massive Radiohead fan but I hope they never get announced for EP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seriously? I think they'd be a perfect fit, Mr. 66 is right too, they are never gonna be a sub act for anyone.

I don't think they are, especially not with the direction the Picnic has taken in the last few years

Snarky Snark Snark

I don't think they are, especially not with the direction the Picnic has taken in the last few years

Direction, schmichection, it's still a decent mix of stuff, "bigger festival requires more radio friendly acts to flog tickets and survive shocker"

They are as valid as Grace Jones, Portishead, The Knife, David Byrne & st Vincent and all the other stuff over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Like what? Portishead, Beck, Bjork, Blur, LCD Soundsystem, New Order. I'd say Radiohead would be a perfect fit in the slot Portishead occupied two years ago on Saturday night.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Direction, schmichection, it's still a decent mix of stuff, "bigger festival requires more radio friendly acts to flog tickets and survive shocker"

They are as valid as Grace Jones, Portishead, The Knife, David Byrne & st Vincent and all the other stuff over the last few years.

I was referring to the crowd, actually. I guarantee that a lot of the crowd would not be into them and it's the crowd that would ruin it for me, not Radiohead themselves.

Seriously? I think they'd be a perfect fit, Mr. 66 is right too, they are never gonna be a sub act for anyone.

Well, yes, it is ludicrous to suggest that Radiohead are a sub act!

Snarky Snark Snark

I was referring to the crowd, actually. I guarantee that a lot of the crowd would not be into them and it's the crowd that would ruin it for me, not Radiohead themselves.

Think you're over worrying on that front. There'd be plenty of d'other to keep the plebs occupied if they were on the main stage.

Anyway, no point worrying, we'll probably get the reformed spice girls

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Clearly radiohead are no a sub-headliner act but based on the most recent gig I saw, I thought from my whole experiemce of the gig that they would suit that position more. Obviously they won't ever sub-headline to anybody.

As lotus flower said, the crowd would have a massive impact on the experience. Seeing them at their own gig somewhere like kilmainham with their own fans would be a much more enjoyable experience.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I think it depends a lot on what sort of setlist they play. I'm a firm believer that the words "here's a couple from our new album.." shouldn't be heard at a music festival. If you're playing your own gig to your own fans you play what you like, but a festival crowd often aren't 'your' fans, and a festival setlist should be made up of more of a greatest-hits songs-of-ours-you've-heard-on-the-radio type thing. Get the crowd bouncing!

Don't get me wrong though, I'd pay to watch Radiohead play Monopoly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well they headlined a load of festivals this summer, and usually started with 5 from the new album and a few more throughout the set, and the gigs were pretty well received.
    I don't see them not playing 6 or 7 new ones out of 22+ songs if they do a few more festivals next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

As many weren't into LCD, Portishead, Beck, etc. They'd just go elsewhere.

I'm not into Ellie Goulding, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran & The 1975. Solution - when they were on I went elsewhere.

EP is a big tent these days. Plenty for all. And that includes Radiohead.

Clearly radiohead are no a sub-headliner act but based on the most recent gig I saw, I thought from my whole experiemce of the gig that they would suit that position more. Obviously they won't ever sub-headline to anybody.

As lotus flower said, the crowd would have a massive impact on the experience. Seeing them at their own gig somewhere like kilmainham with their own fans would be a much more enjoyable experience.

Agreed. But if a deal is already done for EP then I'm sure they'll put on a great show. Lots of the latest album is low-key as you report from the gig you saw. But then again they were never a band to have us bouncing in the aisles.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I think it depends a lot on what sort of setlist they play. I'm a firm believer that the words "here's a couple from our new album.." shouldn't be heard at a music festival. If you're playing your own gig to your own fans you play what you like, but a festival crowd often aren't 'your' fans, and a festival setlist should be made up of more of a greatest-hits songs-of-ours-you've-heard-on-the-radio type thing. Get the crowd bouncing!

Don't get me wrong though, I'd pay to watch Radiohead play Monopoly :pac:

Radiohead would be a bit like Aphex Twin though in that they play what they want to and I guarantee that they will have a packed main stage too, they have a few generations that grew up with their music. I like some of the new stuff and they have a good visual show as well. When was the last time they played Ireland anyway, it must have been quite a while. Its either EP or some standalone gig next year I'd imagine.

Seathrun66 wrote: »

I'm not into Ellie Goulding, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran & The 1975. Solution - when they were on I went elsewhere.

People not being into a band does not stop them going to a set- they're called event junkies and they're at pretty much every big festival these days. I guarantee you that if Radiohead played EP it would be teeming with event junkies who won't give a crap about the new stuff and will chat their way through it while shouting "play creep" and not listening to the set. I've seen them multiple times and a few times this summer alone and I'm no stranger to EP so I'm not pulling this out of nowhere!

Radiohead would be a bit like Aphex Twin though in that they play what they want to.

You're spot on here and that wouldn't sit well with the event junkie crowd who are there to hear Creep!

You're spot on here and that wouldn't sit well with the event junkie crowd who are there to hear Creep!

Fcuk them I'd say and bring it on. Creep is in the set anyway, its the last number more or less isn't it.

Fcuk them I'd say and bring it on. Creep is in the set anyway, its the last number more or less isn't it.

The point I'm making is if the crowd aren't into it, it impacts the experience. And my point around Creep is that the event junkies may be only there to hear Creep and won't care about the new stuff and the stuff off TKOL, etc

The point I'm making is if the crowd aren't into it, it impacts the experience. And my point around Creep is that the event junkies may be only there to hear Creep and won't care about the new stuff

If anything, if they play that track, us at the front will feel this tremendous force pushing from the back for that track, that could be quite unpleasant. I'm not bothered really, if Aphex was at the next stage would probably watch 2 minutes of Radiohead and go fcuk Radiohead and off to Aphex. Sorry, but if thats the case, thats the case ha ha.

Seathrun66 wrote: »

People not being into a band does not stop them going to a set- they're called event junkies and they're at pretty much every big festival these days. I guarantee you that if Radiohead played EP it would be teeming with event junkies who won't give a crap about the new stuff and will chat their way through it while shouting "play creep" and not listening to the set. I've seen them multiple times and a few times this summer alone and I'm no stranger to EP so I'm not pulling this out of nowhere!

Wouldn't those same people go to a Radiohead gig in Marlay Park or Malahide?

And is this a serious argument to not book an ideal act for EP as some people may not be into it? Who else to exclude? Nick Cave as his recent album is too downbeat for the kids. Wilco as their latest opus is too low-key. PJH as she no longer wears bright yellow jumpsuits.

I have faith in the EP bookers and Radiohead in 2017 would make a for a mega festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

I think Radiohead are pretty mainstream nowadays and the majority of people know them for more than just Creep (especially in Ireland where to my recollection The Bends first started to really take off). Also there's probably a lot younger fans now who would love to get the chance to see them.

Snarky Snark Snark

The point I'm making is if the crowd aren't into it, it impacts the experience. And my point around Creep is that the event junkies may be only there to hear Creep and won't care about the new stuff and the stuff off TKOL, etc

Might sound hateful but not meant to be, if you're worried about seeing a band in an environment where the crowd will not be into them or their "difficult" music, probably best not to go to festivals and just stick to their solo gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Loyalty tickets sold out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mince Pie wrote: »

Well one part of my prediction was correct this year.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    I reckon this year they'll stop it being so easy to get the loyalty tickets, and I'd say they'll also reduce the amount of loyalty tickets available.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I was worried about this and warned pals. Some got them and others hesitated. I assume no chance of finding out the numbers of early-bird & loyalty tickets?

I reckon the next batch at 205 will be gone by the end of October and the festival is obviously going to sell out even earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Look at all those happy people in the FB Comments :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

maximoose wrote: »
    Look at all those happy people in the FB Comments :pac:
    lots of people still waiting on codes too by the looks of it, can understand some of the anger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

They should've had all the codes sorted before the tickets even went on sale.

If you had a code and didn't buy, then it's your own fault, as they said they'd be on sale until the end of October or until the loyalty tickets sell out.

Bad form if you didn't receive a code though.

It's as people had been predicting. A price increase and a reduced number of loyalty tickets.

The worry would be that if it sells out early again (and it will) that they'll go cheap on the line up again. They've cut the number of main arena acts by 5 per year for the last 4 years, so i'd expect another cut of 5 acts this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm not sure there's any guarantee that the regular tickets (or even the non-loyalty earlybirds) will sell as rapidly as the loyalty ones - which in my experience, are largely speculative purchases made with the knowledge that you can probably sell for 60-80 Euro profit off them and still be below full face value. Then again, could be that lots of people buy the full price tickets in the expectation of being able to legally tout them for insane prices on Seatwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yeah i'd imagine the numbers of Loyalty as well as Early Bird might be down a lot on last year.

If that is the case it could take longer to sell out completely this year, depending on who's announced in March.

Advertisement