Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Wouldn't those same people go to a Radiohead gig in Marlay Park or Malahide?

And is this a serious argument to not book an ideal act for EP as some people may not be into it? Who else to exclude? Nick Cave as his recent album is too downbeat for the kids. Wilco as their latest opus is too low-key. PJH as she no longer wears bright yellow jumpsuits.

I have faith in the EP bookers and Radiohead in 2017 would make a for a mega festival.

There's less chance of event junkies making their way to a standalone gig and a better chance of it being made up of fellow fans! Though it's inevitable that some of the crowd will be there to be seen, sadly.

Can you honestly say you've never had a gig/ set marred by a terrible crowd? If that's the case, I truly envy you! Out of the three times I saw Radiohead this summer, one of those was ruined by a terrible crowd. The other times were great!

Let's agree to disagree here- I enjoy your posts and don't want to keep being involved in a back and forth on our differing opinions on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

There's less chance of event junkies making their way to a standalone gig and a better chance of it being made up of fellow fans! Though it's inevitable that some of the crowd will be there to be seen, sadly.

Can you honestly say you've never had a gig/ set marred by a terrible crowd? If that's the case, I truly envy you! Out of the three times I saw Radiohead this summer, one of those was ruined by a terrible crowd. The other times were great!

Let's agree to disagree here- I enjoy your posts and don't want to keep being involved in a back and forth on our differing opinions on this

I can see where you're coming from but i don't think Radiohead at EP would be any worse than Arcade Fire in Marley Park a few years back. Full of pissed up morons ignoring what was going on onstage until they played Wake Up at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

FB making me laugh with the outraged comments.

Tempted to take a screenshot, as I'm sure many of the same names will be outraged all over again when it eventually sells out completely.

Might sound hateful but not meant to be, if you're worried about seeing a band in an environment where the crowd will not be into them or their "difficult" music, probably best not to go to festivals and just stick to their solo gigs.

I love festivals and music so that's not going to happen! What I don't love is how *some* sets can be ruined by a terrible crowd but it's only happened a few times at the festivals I've been at this summer and has certainly not outweighed the great ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I love festivals and music so that's not going to happen! What I don't love is how *some* sets can be ruined by a terrible crowd but it's only happened a few times at the festivals I've been at this summer and has certainly not outweighed the great ones!

It's a festival, it's going to happen. If there's ****heads bothering you, then move, simplest and only real solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I remember a particular Bat For Lashes gig at the Electric Arena in 2012, she was struggling to sing Laura and the background was like a chattering, nattering public bar, whereas it should've been, you couldn't hear a pin drop. I don't know if they were Hot Chip fans trying to get a good spot for the Sunday night closer but they didn't give two flying fuks for poor Natasha.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It's a festival, it's going to happen. If there's ****heads bothering you, then move, simplest and only real solution.

I'm not a festival novice so I know this, I'm also not that thick that I'd stay rooted to the same spot if I was surrounded by a few ****heads. There's a world of difference between a few ****heads you can move away from easily and a bad crowd in general. As I said, it's only happened a few times this summer, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Wouldn't those same people go to a Radiohead gig in Marlay Park or Malahide?

And is this a serious argument to not book an ideal act for EP as some people may not be into it? Who else to exclude? Nick Cave as his recent album is too downbeat for the kids. Wilco as their latest opus is too low-key. PJH as she no longer wears bright yellow jumpsuits.

I have faith in the EP bookers and Radiohead in 2017 would make a for a mega festival.

Hi Lotus, I honestly don't think we disagree on much here. I'd love Radiohead at EP, you'd prefer them at a standalone gig. Either would suit me, I'd simply be happy with them playing Ireland next year.

And of course I'e had annoyances at gigs over the years, but I think as many at non-festival as at festival gigs. And many of those at EP, people yapping during Portishead, Wilco, Tindersticks, etc. Even moving around isn't always a solution when you have people chatting everywhere. Pals reporting from Primavera said that the start of the Radiohead gig was like this. And even worse for Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds.

Unfortunately it's a bad trend that's unlikely to improve and unavoidable at festivals. Radiohead doing Marlay Park would be great and probably less aggravation as you say(the Malahide shows were excellent), I just think that their potential headline slot on a Saturday night at EP would match the best we've seen there to date. Let's hope we get one or the other. And have a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bit annoyed about the loyalty tickets being gone already. I did have a code so it was my own fault in not buying one but this day 3 weeks ago I was only getting home from stradbally, haven't even gotten paid yet since the festival is over. There must have been very limited loyalty tickets compared to last year as I think I got mine late October or November last year. Not the biggest travesty to ever happen but doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth.

Snarky Snark Snark

Don't think it's that big a shock that the 165 tickets are gone, will be very telling how soon the early birds sell out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Does seem a bit ****ty considering last pay cheque we were spending at the festival on over priced swill and gruel and it's sold out now before people have had a chance to regroup and get paid again.
    Just glad I'd already decided not to go again next year as this year just didn't do it for me along with life changes going on and potential move out of the country looming.
    Loyalty has wained here as much as theirs has to us.

Is it possible that there were as many loyalty tickets as last year but people bought early and the touts also swooped? On this site most of the posters seem to have bought earlier than usual (as my pals and I did). The eighty Ticketmaster outlets didn't seem bothered about any proof of attendance so many people would presumably have used them. And that won't have escaped the attention of the organised touts who could have picked up hundreds of tickets by going along daily and/or sending people there.

It's just sheer speculation, but a possible partial explanation. And even more annoying for those who missed out due to delays in releasing codes. The Facebook angry brigade are usually quite entertaining, but today they have my sympathy if they were waiting for codes. And payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Bit annoyed about the loyalty tickets being gone already. I did have a code so it was my own fault in not buying one but this day 3 weeks ago I was only getting home from stradbally, haven't even gotten paid yet since the festival is over. There must have been very limited loyalty tickets compared to last year as I think I got mine late October or November last year. Not the biggest travesty to ever happen but doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth.

It was end of October me thinks. Bull**** scheme really. You're either entitled to a loyalty discount or you ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Would love if Radiohead played the point and charged €100 a ticket - that amount alone should shut people up and get them listening to the reason thay are there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Tago Mago wrote: »
    It was end of October me thinks. Bull**** scheme really. You're either entitled to a loyalty discount or you ain't.

Think about it though - the increased capacity of the last couple of years means that far more people were entitled to the loyalty discount and every year that number will go up.

If everyone who was entitled to a loyalty discount took up their allocation, there would be nothing left for general sale. They have to limit it.

Did they give any kind of warning anywhere that loyalty tickets were about to sell out? A warning wouldn't have gone amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Website/email clearly says "All tickets are subject to availability and allocations are limited.The offer will end either on the deadline above or once the discount allocation is sold out, whichever comes first."

roll wrote: »

Would love if Radiohead played the point and charged 100 a ticket - that amount alone should shut people up and get them listening to the reason thay are there!
    Bear in mind the corporate tickets and guest lists. They're the event junkies that Lotus was referring to. Inescapable these days alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

LostArt wrote: »
    Website/email clearly says "All tickets are subject to availability and allocations are limited.The offer will end either on the deadline above or once the discount allocation is sold out, whichever comes first."

I hear what you are saying but I also sympathise with the FB complaints. If you recall EP issue phrases like "we would like to reward our loyal festival goers"... and we all think .. "OK, thats pretty decent" ... turns out that its only some of the loyal festival goers who are being rewarded. All of those rewarded are people who have spare cash in the middle of the month (a month that started with an expensive weekend). Also many of those loyal people were not given ample opportunity to prove their loyalty according to the FB posters. And according to several sources, the ticketmaster agents in shops and booths were giving out those loyalty tickets without any proof that the purchaser was in fact loyal. I assume those agents get commission on sales, so there is no incentive for them to do so. I also suspect that the number of these loyalty tickets was considerably less this year than last year ...

So it all seems like its a reward for a limited subset of loyal customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Unless the line up blows me away I'll probably sell my ticket. The new EP isn't really my thing! It's not gone full Oxegen and I don't think it ever will. But it's in the ballpark!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Unless the line up blows me away I'll probably sell my ticket. The new EP isn't really my thing! It's not gone full Oxegen and I don't think it ever will. But it's in the ballpark!

It's nowhere near what Oxegen was like. Not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I agree a warning that loyalty tickets were about to sell out would have been good, just a Facebook post and a tweet would have been enough. They should have been faster at getting loyalty codes sent out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MadYaker wrote: »
    I agree a warning that loyalty tickets were about to sell out would have been good, just a Facebook post and a tweet would have been enough. They should have been faster at getting loyalty codes sent out as well.

But why give a warning? They gave the dates for when they'd expire. It's up to people to be proactive and get the loyalty tickets as quick as they can.

What I think is unfair is to put the tickets (including the loyalty ones) up for sale so quickly after the festival finishes each year. I think it would be fairer to at least let people get to the next pay day cheque before putting them up for sale.

That said, I think people are mad not to beg steal or borrow to get the money for the tickets as soon as they go on sale. It's a real no brainer considering how much you save.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They've been going long enough now that they ought to bump up the loyalty tiers to 5+ picnics and 3-4 picnics. Going to 1-2 picnics is hardly loyalty anymore!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    But why give a warning? They gave the dates for when they'd expire. It's up to people to be proactive and get the loyalty tickets as quick as they can.

What I think is unfair is to put the tickets (including the loyalty ones) up for sale so quickly after the festival finishes each year. I think it would be fairer to at least let people get to the next pay day cheque before putting them up for sale.

That said, I think people are mad not to beg steal or borrow to get the money for the tickets as soon as they go on sale. It's a real no brainer considering how much you save.

A quick tweet or Facebook post to say loyalty tickets are about to sell out would not have killed them! It would have taken about two seconds effort on their part to fire off a tweet/ post and would have meant that those still waiting on payday, or at least some of them, could have made alternative arrangements.

MadYaker wrote: »

No, this wouldn't work. A different bunch of people would have been complaining that they were discriminated against because they aren't on Facebook/Twitter so didn't see the alert.

The first come, first served policy should not be new to anyone buying concert tickets.

Snarky Snark Snark

A quick tweet or Facebook post to say loyalty tickets are about to sell out would not have killed them! It would have taken about two seconds effort on their part to fire off a tweet/ post and would have meant that those still waiting on payday, or at least some of them, could have made alternative arrangements.

Certainly would not have killed them, neither would as another poster suggested have waiting a few weeks till the next pay cycle to hold off starting the ticket sales.

It's really hard to tell if they cut back on the numbers (I'd suspect they did to get a greater return off the ticket sales) or if the demand is just higher (whether it's touts trying to make a killing or active picnic goers).

From their pov though, they'd be well aware though that no matter what they do, they'll get slaughtered on social media.

No, this wouldn't work. A different bunch of people would have been complaining that they were discriminated against because they aren't on Facebook/Twitter so didn't see the alert.

The first come, first served policy should not be new to anyone buying concert tickets.

So you shouldn't do something in case a few people complain? Surely it's better to do things that might please the majority. I would ordinarily agree about the first come, first served basis thing, however I don't feel that applies here, for reasons mentioned elsewhere

So you shouldn't do something in case a few people complain? Surely it's better to do things that might please the majority. I would ordinarily agree about the first come, first served basis thing, however I don't feel that applies here, for reasons mentioned elsewhere

I'm not sure what your alternative to first come, first served would have been but no matter what you do, people will complain. Whenever demand exceeds supply, it's inevitable.

In this instance, it's the wait-and-see brigade who are aggrieved.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what your alternative to first come, first served would have been but no matter what you do, people will complain. Whenever demand exceeds supply, it's inevitable.

In this instance, it's the wait-and-see brigade who are aggrieved.

Sorry, I was unclear there- I meant that normally there would be no need for a warning tweet/ posts for gigs (was replying to your point about people should know that gigs work on a first come/ first served basis) but it wouldn't have killed them here- seeing as some people didn't even were still awaiting loyalty codes and payday, etc etc

Advertisement