Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Peesh89

Ended up in Hendrix the first year I went in 2015. We went down fairly late on the Friday, a group of us camped just behind the big spinny funfair ride things very close to the entrance in to main arena, campsite was completely fine, no drama or idiots around where we were but heard awful stories of friends tents being ruined in ehhh ~several different ways~ elsewhere in Hendrix.
    Hoping for similar spot this year.. although most of the crowd going have artist bands so dunnnnno if I'll be able to convince them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I am dealing with an awful lot of shít lately and cannot ****ing wait to hit the road to Stradbally come 1pm Friday 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I've only ever stayed in Hendrix but feel like I'm probably getting a bit on for it now. Staying in Joplin a noticeably different vibe?

Hugely I found. Very quiet, not too far. Practically had a whole set of toilets to ourselves up the back.

The walk to the arena goes through trenchtown/saltydog as well which is a nice stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭glencurtis252

Anyone hear head down from portlaoise.. I usually come from dublin early Friday morning but will be heading from portlaoise this year around the half 4 mark.. any ideas how long it will take driving from portlaoise that time of evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

D.Q wrote: »
    Hugely I found. Very quiet, not too far. Practically had a whole set of toilets to ourselves up the back.

The walk to the arena goes through trenchtown/saltydog as well which is a nice stroll.

Nice one for the heads up. Joplin it is. That'd be closer to the forest rave right?

• Advertisement

Nice one for the heads up. Joplin it is. That'd be closer to the forest rave right?

yeah quite close alright!

cant remember specific walking times to or from the rave though :o

anywhere between 10 mins and eternity.

D.Q wrote: »
    yeah quite close alright!

cant remember specific walking times to or from the rave though :o

Likely eternity given the state I'm usually in.

D.Q wrote:

Its literally 2 min away

Its literally 2 min away

Hahaha jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

I've only ever stayed in Hendrix but feel like I'm probably getting a bit on for it now. Staying in Joplin a noticeably different vibe?

How old is getting on a bit for it? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Anyone hear head down from portlaoise.. I usually come from dublin early Friday morning but will be heading from portlaoise this year around the half 4 mark.. any ideas how long it will take driving from portlaoise that time of evening??

its the last 2km that take the longest. You could be quicker walking. (only half joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

its the last 2km that take the longest. You could be quicker walking. (only half joking)

This is actually probably correct. It might be slightly faster getting a taxi from Portlaoise, but I'd check out if there are some buses running from there, because there are bound to be a few.

I believe the taxi/bus traffic is separated from the car park traffic quite a few km out from Stradbally, so you don't get caught up in quite as much traffic.

The queues for the car parks around that time will start to get insane though, they're bad enough in the morning.

MJohnston wrote:
    The queues for the car parks around that time will start to get insane though, they're bad enough in the morning.

Ah it's not giving me much hope.. I need the car though so that's out the question.. Are ya talking long over an hour at that time??

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Lzmunky

Ah it's not giving me much hope.. I need the car though so that's out the question.. Are ya talking long over an hour at that time??

Easily

Could be yeah. Let me tell ye a horror story...

Last time I went to the car parks in 2015, the security/stewards hadn't quite woken up or something, so they were making really stupid decisions. It was sometime in the morning, and the traffic plan routed us down a country road directly into the north end of the Red car parks.

Problem was, someone in the car parks was clearly not aware of this fact, and they were directing certain cars exiting the same car park back up the very same country road. This road was, absolutely no exaggeration, barely wide enough for 1 car, small ditches on either side of it. It was impossible to fit a car coming back up the other way, but they'd been pointed that way by security, so that's the way they came. People were having to drive into ditches, up embankments, to get out of the way. Extremely slow progress. There were hundreds of cars trying to get into the car park, maybe a few dozen trying to get out, but that was enough to jam the whole thing up entirely.

I think I queued for close to 2 hours to move about 1km in all that.

Now, later in the day, most of the stewards have figured out not to decide things for themselves, maybe their supervisors have finally turned up or whatever. But at that point, the sheer volume of arrivals has gone up, and it doesn't matter how good the organisation is.

Often wondered why they don't commandeer a big car park in Portlaoise off of the M7 and run a high-frequency park and ride system. It'd be a massive improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

I'm really enjoying youth mass and pond at the moment.
    I'm in eco campsite, safe to assume it'll be a bit quieter/less crazy there right? Hope it isn't too far of a walk this year as I've a bad back

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheHumanHam

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is actually probably correct. It might be slightly faster getting a taxi from Portlaoise, but I'd check out if there are some buses running from there, because there are bound to be a few.

There are actually shuttle busses that go from Portlaoise to and from the picnic. Not sure of the price but my friends got them after getting the train to Portlaoise last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

There are actually shuttle busses that go from Portlaoise to and from the picnic. Not sure of the price but my friends got them after getting the train to Portlaoise last year

I think it was a tenner. I do remember having to wait ages for one from the train station two years ago though.

How old is getting on a bit for it? :pac:

Just touching 30. Perhaps I should stay in the Hendrix madness for one last hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just touching 30. Perhaps I should stay in the Hendrix madness for one last hurrah.

Say hello to Swedish Pete for me and Danderly Wanderly. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I figured there would be, I'm just thinking of something more frequent, and more official, tied to a big car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

How much of the site is open on the Thursday?
    Could I camp in Joplin and walk to the town through the paintball/green car park entrance does anyone know?

Trying to figure how to get to the festival site myself a week before the festival on 27th August, either I'll get the citylink commuter from Galway to Kinnegad and hitch from there or get bus to Dublin and catch connection to Stradbally from there, whats easiest and cheapest. I'm also appealing in lots of car share and festival groups in Facebook.

Trying to figure how to get to the festival site myself a week before the festival on 27th August, either I'll get the citylink commuter from Galway to Kinnegad and hitch from there or get bus to Dublin and catch connection to Stradbally from there, whats easiest and cheapest. I'm also appealing in lots of car share and festival groups in Facebook.

C'mon guys help me out, what buses should I get pre festival to Stradbally from Galway, shuttle or special festival buses do not apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

You are in danger of being confused for a young wan. Just be careful when the teenager kicking session commences. Best look for a mentor to vouch for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

C'mon guys help me out, what buses should I get pre festival to Stradbally from Galway, shuttle or special festival buses do not apply here.

Here, I have no idea what it means though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

You are in danger of being confused for a young wan. Just be careful when the teenager kicking session commences. Best look for a mentor to vouch for you.

I'll do it, need to give him 1 kick in the shins though.

I'm looking forward to booting a few teenagers to be fair. Will be a good way to sweat out the hooch from the night before.

Train from Galway to Athlone (towards Heuston), then Bus Eireann 73 from Athlone to Stradbally (towards Waterford).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

How necessary do you think an air mattress is? Went once before when I was 19 and had an air mattress but it deflated every night! I'm only going with 1 friend so I don't want too have to carry too much but honestly I'd bring anything if I thought it'd help me sleep! 😂

Advertisement