Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

D.Q wrote: »
    Are the tents good quality? Its also meant to be really close to the arena? Is there any sort of curfew or noise limits or anything. Sorry for all the questions and appreciate the help

The two man were 2000 mm hh and that was for the older style which I had, no leaking over the weekend so not the worst.

There's a quiet time of 1am till 7am, if you want to be rowdy then they've a bar area for that.

Entrance directly onto the main arena between comedy and EA.

Food in there as pointed out was a total rip off, didn't eat there but had a coffee and a pint, prices but no worse than in the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

What sort of prices are the two men tents?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Also I assume you're allocated a specific, pre made tent. So if there's a big group, you might not be camped beside each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Paid 705 for a 6 man with 3 double self inflating mats. 4 man was 410 without mats. If you book the same tents ie 2 x 6 men they will do there best to have ye beside each other. We had a 4 and a 6 and werent near each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

D.Q wrote: »
    Also I assume you're allocated a specific, pre made tent. So if there's a big group, you might not be camped beside each other?

You can enter a group name so they can put the tents next to each other if they are able although I don't believe it's 100% guaranteed. Every member of the group just enters the group name when they are booking.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

They ****ed up the group bookings and a number of other bookings such as accessories this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

This year was so good. tickets will be bought on Friday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

MadYaker wrote: »
    On pink moon, my 3 man tent only weighs a few kg. It's all the drink and water thats a killer and you'll still have to carry that. I understand people might lke the extra security, showers and a more relaxed atmosphere but really who needs to shower at a 3 day festival unless you go rolling around the muck. Oscar Wilde was fine this year imo, very civilised, plenty of security and rarely any queues to get into the main arena. I'm weighing up the pros and cons and it doesn't seem worth the money to me but maybe I'm missing something?

Unless you're 100% confident you can make it down early on the Friday then it's worth every cent to know that you can arrive in your own time and still be camping somewhere safe, comfortable and very close to the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Early days but who would you like to see in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

2fm were saying on Monday that Ed Sheeran was already booked for next year. shows the wa the festival is gone.

have to agree about pink moon, it's still a tent! that gets hot as fcuk if there's any bit of heat. for the €700 you can get a hotel in Portlaoise, that's what I always do anyway. well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

2fm were saying on Monday that Ed Sheeran was already booked for next year. shows the wa the festival is gone.

have to agree about pink moon, it's still a tent! that gets hot as fcuk if there's any bit of heat. for the €700 you can get a hotel in Portlaoise, that's what I always do anyway. well worth it.

I went the Sunday this year but I'm thinking about doing the three days next year, just wondering whats the story with getting to and from Portlaoise? is there buses running from the gig all the time or are you relying on Taxi/Driving.. Cheers for the ticket by the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id be amazed if it is Ed Sheeran.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

And I'd be devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

DC10555 wrote: »
    I went the Sunday this year but I'm thinking about doing the three days next year, just wondering whats the story with getting to and from Portlaoise? is there buses running from the gig all the time or are you relying on Taxi/Driving.. Cheers for the ticket by the way ;)

it's a small country!

ya bus goes from Portlaoise train station every half hour and costs €5
    http://www.electricpicnic.ie/information/travel/martleys-shuttle-bus

heritage hotel and few others are right beside the train station. the hotel I stayed in Sunday (and for the weekend in 2014) was Maldron and that's a 10 minute drive from the train station. i just drove down to the train station Sunday, parked the car there and got the bus. i think it's great as you're not in traffic Monday morning, just jump in the car and back on the motorway home

i booked Maldron Friday night and it only cost €129 for Sunday night! i think that's pretty good but it's definitely rare. 2014 I booked in January for the weekend and a room cost €700 approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd hope they'll have The Avalanches next year, if they're back touring. James Murphy seemed pretty sure he'd be back to EP next year in some form (and given previous years, wouldn't bet against it). I was surprised Joanna Newsom didn't get booked this year, so maybe her next year too. Soulwax have new material on the way and are back touring. James Blake is another one that should have been booked. I'll throw in a few off the personal wishlist - Michael Kiwanuka, Metronomy, Wye Oak, Alabama Shakes, Woods, and as a wildcard legacy act Van Morrison (it'd be class and you know it).

Then again, it all depends on whether Festival Republic want to keep the bipolar lineup going, or if they feel like going down one route or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Really hope they steer well clear of acts such as Years and Years and Lana Del Ray. With Nas and Joey Badass being a real treat this year I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up another few rap acts next year. It's far too early to guess who'll be headlining but it seems a lot of bands are going to be rumored. Radiohead being the most obvious. Daft Punk will be touring. Gorillaz are working on a new album. Alt-J are soon to be starting one. One or two of them could be good additions. In addition to the post above, The Avalanches and Joanna Newsom would be awesome additions.

Having missed Jenny Greene this year and with Jeff Mills playing with the RTE Concert Orchestra later in the year, I'd love to see an act like that again next year. My mates saw her and she said it was very good.

Snarky Snark Snark

BOHtox wrote: »
    Really hope they steer well clear of acts such as Years and Years and Lana Del Ray.

Not a chance, whether you like them or not they sell tickets (as evidenced by the crowds at Lana Del Ray) and they have to appeal to more than one taste demographic
    R-word being the most obvious.

That name should be banned from these threads at this stage
    Daft Punk will be touring.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Really hope they steer well clear of acts such as Years and Years and Lana Del Ray. With Nas and Joey Badass being a real treat this year I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up another few rap acts next year. It's far too early to guess who'll be headlining but it seems a lot of bands are going to be rumored. Radiohead being the most obvious. Daft Punk will be touring. Gorillaz are working on a new album. Alt-J are soon to be starting one. One or two of them could be good additions. In addition to the post above, The Avalanches and Joanna Newsom would be awesome additions.

Having missed Jenny Greene this year and with Jeff Mills playing with the RTE Concert Orchestra later in the year, I'd love to see an act like that again next year. My mates saw her and she said it was very good.

Alt-J would be AMAZING. (crosses fingers)

It'd make a lot of sense for Daft Punk to be touring in another x7 year, but they're a bit far out from RAM now, and it's an album they'd need to put a lot more live effort into than the Alive '07 tour (impressive as it was).

Added to that, I don't see the point in booking them for a festival when they'll easily be able to sell out a solo-concert with a much higher profit ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Have learned from previous years that predicting this far out rarely turns out to be right.

Nobody would've guessed Blur or a reformed LCD Soundsystem a year in advance, and I'd expect it to be the same this time around.

Basing all of this on absolutely nothing...

- I wouldn't expect Radiohead to do festivals two summers in a row. If EP get them, it'll be one of the few festivals they play, but I'd expect a series of standalone gigs rather than festivals. But Ireland can be a bit funny with big outdoor shows so maybe EP is a bit more of a reliable spot for them.
    - I would expect someone like Alt-J to be among the headliners. Festival headliners are in short supply and I think we can expect to see a few gambles on who can make the step up in the coming years. So 4/5 headline acts, including one on the smaller side - make or break time, really. Over the next few years, expect Alt-J, Tame Impala, Foals, etc to get slots that may seem a little too big for them a first. Otherwise in a few years time, there'll be nobody to do those jobs.
    - Bon Iver could be a big player too. A lot of hype about the new album, last show here was in the O2 and it sold out so could get a prominent slot if they do a world tour next year. So far it's just a handful of dates here and there but you can't predict Justin Vernon's moves.
    - Arcade Fire, the National and Gorillaz will all release big albums next year and any (or all?) could be bankers to headline. I'm a huge fan of the National but I hope they don't play Ireland until they have actual new material because they've been doing the same show for a few years now. But, they got a very big crowd at Longitude and that's all people will care about isn't it? Arcade Fire haven't been here for a few years so I'd be stunned if they weren't in Ireland next year and EP is their natural home isn't it?
    - James Murphy will be in town 'cos he never leaves
    - On the point of hip-hop... I hope they continue to book these acts. Always thought EP was lacking on this front.
    - A major pop headliner should be expected as a given now with the way that festivals are going. Major Lazer had a huge crowd at Longitude as did Kendrick Lamar (not pop as such, but not a traditional EP act) so could we expect someone like Kanye West (always does Ireland on European tours and he seems to be saving the Saint Pablo tour in Europe for next year) or Sia?
    - Big slots for bad Irish acts too - Walking on Cars, Picture This, etc.

So, in short, I don't f*cking know.

• Advertisement

We're all just making educated guesses really, but that's the fun. It's less an EP prediction too, and more about who might be in Ireland in any shape next year. I'll put Frank Ocean down for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paddy2012

I think The XX might headline next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I think The XX might headline next year.

Are they making a new album?

I'm interested to see what route they go down now that Jamie xx has established himself over the last few years. Big fan of their first two albums but a much bigger fan of his solo one (and the Gil Scott Heron remix had some great tracks too).

They'd need to take a new approach with another album anyway, as the original XX sound has been copied into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

my surprise booking will be

WEE Daniel ...

I'm ready to bet my best jocks on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

And I'd be devastated

He's already played the picnic though. Headlined the electric arena in 2012.

Snarky Snark Snark

Would he not be very very expensive now that he's shown to be able to fill Wembley and Croke park?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

And I'd be devastated
    He's been there before (in 2012 I think) and supposedly nailed on for a Glasto headline slot this year. Likely to be the Sunday headliner for the daytrippers. Horrible music, but I'll find something else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Sorry Scruff but I've got to mention Radiohead again. We've all heard the rumours that they were in negotiation with EP who pulled when the festival sold out. Is it possible that EP said that they couldn't afford them this year but invitied them to be the central act in 2017? I'd like to think so.

Even more unlikely would be grabbing Talking Heads if they play Coachella then go on tour. If there's any truth at all in the rumours, which the band have slammed down (please note that LCD & The Stone Roses did the same) then EP have surely got to try and grab them. And before I get jumped on I realise it's highly unlikely. EP also couldn't afford Talking Heads AND Radiohead.

More likely are the four acts that have a new album out this Friday, some of whom must surely be touring fests next Summer - Wilco, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, MIA & Teenage Fanclub. I'd also like Squeeze & Joanna Newsom, both Fat White Family & Girl Band back and a few others I'll remember when my head has recovered.

Isn't it also about time we finally had Stiff Little Fingers?

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Sorry Scruff but I've got to mention R-word again. We've all heard the rumours that they were in negotiation with EP who pulled when the festival sold out. Is it possible that EP said that they couldn't afford them this year but invitied them to be the central act in 2017? I'd like to think so.

Long before those rumours, Effects posted this and I've never heard of any sources for the pulled rumour.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98936144&postcount=1911

I'd like to think that was accurate and there's a chance of them next year cos if they pulled out on selling out then that would probably just piss off the other side.

Only another 6 months to go before we hear anyway.

Advertisement