Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Guys, they don't have to give us reduced price loyalty tickets at all. Be glad they do & get in early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Guys, they don't have to give us reduced price loyalty tickets at all. Be glad they do & get in early next year.

This doesn't affect me personally at all but I do feel sorry for those it does (the genuine people, not the whingers that complain no matter what)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The only people I have sympathy for are the ones who asked for a loyalty code and didn't get it in time. There can't be too many of them though, I got mine automatically the week after the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MadYaker wrote: »
    The only people I have sympathy for are the ones who asked for a loyalty code and didn't get it in time. There can't be too many of them though, I got mine automatically the week after the festival.
    i didn't get mine automatically, despite getting MCD emails every week so presumably i'm on a mailing list somewhere.

filled in the form and put down 3 of my booking reference numbers from the last 3 years, and 2 days later got an email rejecting my application.

eventually went to a ticketmaster kiosk and got a 3+ one without being asked for any proof....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

The fact of the matter is, is that regardless of who is deserving or not is that they could at least have held off until next payday had come round to make it an even playing field for all. Which also would have meant code issues could have been resolved. Then let the bun fight happen if there's only a limited amount of loyalty tickets available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I hope this thread isn't as moany as last years. Not looking good though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    I hope this thread isn't as moany as last years. Not looking good though

Hopefully coldplay will perform

(There, that should distract them)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gorrilaz, Nick Cave and Radiohead in that order plz

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Kraftwerk in the Chemical Brothers/Underworld slot might test the 'event junkies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Mince Pie wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is, is that regardless of who is deserving or not is that they could at least have held off until next payday had come round to make it an even playing field for all. Which also would have meant code issues could have been resolved. Then let the bun fight happen if there's only a limited amount of loyalty tickets available.

This is pretty much it nailed on.
    I have no problem with the number of loyalty tickets or whatever, but I don't understand why they don't wait until the next payday.
    It's a bit flippant to say people should find the money somewhere.

Anyways, it might be the kick up the backside needed to try End of the Road or Green Man next summer. Mind you, if the EP lineup looks tasty, I'll probably end up there anyway if I go to Green Man two weeks earlier.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Kraftwerk in the Chemical Brothers/Underworld slot might test the 'event junkies'.

They've a solo gig in June next year so that's not gonna happen.

Status Quo might do the trick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

I hear what you are saying but I also sympathise with the FB complaints. If you recall EP issue phrases like "we would like to reward our loyal festival goers"... and we all think .. "OK, thats pretty decent" ... turns out that its only some of the loyal festival goers who are being rewarded. All of those rewarded are people who have spare cash in the middle of the month (a month that started with an expensive weekend). Also many of those loyal people were not given ample opportunity to prove their loyalty according to the FB posters. And according to several sources, the ticketmaster agents in shops and booths were giving out those loyalty tickets without any proof that the purchaser was in fact loyal. I assume those agents get commission on sales, so there is no incentive for them to do so. I also suspect that the number of these loyalty tickets was considerably less this year than last year ...

So it all seems like its a reward for a limited subset of loyal customers.

^^ this.

I love the picnic and I have my tickets for 2017 but I'm pretty pissed off about the way the loyalty scheme was handled this year.

I've been to 3 - next year will be my 4th.

I was automatically sent a 1-2 code (bought this year's ticket off a friend so no ticketmaster history for 2016)

I filled in my form requesting my 3+ code, sent in all proof. 3 days later got a rejection email stating that my 2015 proof wasnt enough (a ticketmaster confirmation with all my personal details, and a pic of my wristband)

Decided Id go ahead and use the 1-2 code as I was worried loyalty would sell out.

Bought 2 tickets for €185 each instead of the €165 I was entitled to.
    Fair enough. My decision to do so.

But what really pissed me off was hearing that many, many people have been to none/ 1 and got a 3+ code - no problems from Ticketmaster.

Not on!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Realise I sound like a begrudging asshole though there - I dont mean to. Of course if someone gets a discount they're going to use it. Fair enough. I mean it should be handled better by FR/ EP.

If theres genuinely only a limited amount of loyalty discount codes available, then perhaps give the limited amount of loyalty discount codes to those who have actually been loyal/ attended.

If it was like the early bird and there was an unlimited amount of codes for a time period - well then thats grand. Free for all.

<bitter about my 40 quid ;) >

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

LostArt wrote: »
    Website/email clearly says "All tickets are subject to availability and allocations are limited.The offer will end either on the deadline above or once the discount allocation is sold out, whichever comes first."

I hear what you are saying but I also sympathise with the FB complaints. If you recall EP issue phrases like "we would like to reward our loyal festival goers"... and we all think .. "OK, thats pretty decent" ... turns out that its only some of the loyal festival goers who are being rewarded. All of those rewarded are people who have spare cash in the middle of the month (a month that started with an expensive weekend). Also many of those loyal people were not given ample opportunity to prove their loyalty according to the FB posters. And according to several sources, the ticketmaster agents in shops and booths were giving out those loyalty tickets without any proof that the purchaser was in fact loyal. I assume those agents get commission on sales, so there is no incentive for them to do so. I also suspect that the number of these loyalty tickets was considerably less this year than last year ...

So it all seems like its a reward for a limited subset of loyal customers.

This is bang on.
    The loyalty system was always fairly easy to get around but it's become a farce now really, made worse by not even giving people the chance to get paid before buying their ticket.
    Poor show from EP and one that will probably mean a few people looking elsewhere after years of going to Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

They've a solo gig in June next year so that's not gonna happen.

Status Quo might do the trick though.

Would've thought the Bord Gais would've been a small enough venue to justify their coming back later on in the summer....

Snarky Snark Snark

Possibly, think they'd be a little subtle for that slot though, it's usually outfits with a bit more banging oooomph and party tunes.

Their tour next year looks to be all sedate, acoustically nice concert halls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

How much were the loyalty tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Beekay wrote: »
    How much were the loyalty tickets?

€165 for 3+ Picnics, €185 for 1 or 2.

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I think The XX might headline next year.
    they're definitely back anyway, just announced for Lollapalooza in South America in March:

TWt7Gxw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The strongest Glasto rumours are for Daft Punk, Stone Roses & Radiohead for the main stage headliners. Diana Ross for the legends slot, Lady Gaga & Kraftwerk for other slots. Possibly Ed Sheeran.

How many of those are we likely to get? I reckon one or two of the main three, I reckon Radiohead are the favourites and possibly have a deal in place from when they halted the talks last year. However, I realise I said this for much of last year's thread so let's see. But surely some chance of the Roses/Radiohead plus Daft Punk. All depends on how greedy FR are, I certainly think there's money there for two big acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The strongest Glasto rumours are for Daft Punk, Stone Roses & Radiohead for the main stage headliners. Diana Ross for the legends slot, Lady Gaga & Kraftwerk for other slots. Possibly Ed Sheeran.

How many of those are we likely to get? I reckon one or two of the main three, I reckon Radiohead are the favourites and possibly have a deal in place from when they halted the talks last year. However, I realise I said this for much of last year's thread so let's see. But surely some chance of the Roses/Radiohead plus Daft Punk. All depends on how greedy FR are, I certainly think there's money there for two big acts.

EP isnt comparable with Glasters for headliners, c'mon now. 1 from the above list would be very good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

You'd have to imagine Daft Punk & Stone Roses would be favourites. Daft Punk would draw a huge crowd and fit the festival down to the ground & Stone Roses have just announced a tour with a Belfast date but no date down south.

Kraftwerk have just sold out 2 shows in Grand Canal Theatre & Ed Sheeran has more to gain by filling Croke Park again.

Still can't see Radiohead, as much as i'd love it, playing Stradbally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

For Picnic?

You'd have to say Radiohead are a strong possibility, but there are few bands whose touring patterns are as hard to predict as Radiohead!! Whether this fabled deal from last year is in place or not, we'll have to wait and see but you'd be rightly surprised (and pissed off!) if they didn't play in Ireland next year.

I'd say Daft Punk is a very outside bet and I'll keep saying that until they actually reform!!

Stone Roses is a good shout, I'd say. Again, they'll likely play Ireland next year and they haven't announced anything yet despite Belfast, etc in June so they could be booked in. I wouldn't expect a second standalone outdoor event, so festival makes far more sense.

Kraftwerk have two Irish shows announced in June which makes them unlikely to play again later in the year I would say. Not impossible, but it doesn't happen often, especially not for the bigger acts on the bill, sadly.

Diana Ross could be an interesting one. You don't see many of the legends from Glasto crossing over at EP - a good few them end up at the Marquee in Cork and the Iveagh Gardens gigs, though. Timing would be the only reason I'd say they're more likely than EP.

Gaga and Sheeran are both in the maybe category, I'd say. There'll probably be a big pop headline act and both would fit the bill.

I would say we could expect a few from the following (either instead of or along with!):

Gorillaz - new album on the horizon
    Kasabian - new album expected, have headlined big shows in the UK and Ireland before and fit the bill of what EP has done in the last few years
    Bon Iver - no Irish date announced despite Euro tour, though the tour is early in the year so maybe he's just skipping us (:() but new album, etc too
    Arcade Fire - new album, is there anyone more EP than Arcade Fire? (Maybe James Murphy!!)
    The National - new album next year too probably, always a big draw in Ireland
    The XX - new album, Jamie xx's solo stuff has kept them firmly in the limelight when they've been away
    The Weeknd - pop headliners will be the norm (1 or 2 with 2/3 non-pop I'd say) and he has a new album coming. Is still a bit on the 'cool' end of the scale like Lana, and cancelled his only Irish show from this year (support slot with Rihanna iir) so might come back
    David Bowie - Because what's a Picnic guessing game without Bowie?

Could be something like this...

RADIOHEAD - THE STONE ROSES
    THE WEEKND - THE XX - MOBY

And then the likes of Alt-J, Two Door Cinema Club, Walking on Cars, etc from here on down on the poster.

Snarky Snark Snark

Wooderson wrote: »
    EP isnt comparable with Glasters for headliners, c'mon now. 1 from the above list would be very good going.

Maybe not in the same year, but a quick scan of headliners over the last 10 years would show

Flo-Jo and her two stroke (same year as Glastonbury), Blur, Arctic Monkeys (same year as Glastonbury), LCD/New Order (other stage headliners this year).

So maybe not the mega mega Foo/Kanye silly phone number money giant type headliners but in a couple of cases they're not that far away from the same ballpark.

there's nothing to suggest Daft Punk will be touring, and given that they're not playing Lollapalooza South America as the rumours said, and almost certainly not doing Coachella either, then there's little reason to think that they'll be at any other festivals, especially ones that pay as little as EP and especially Glastonbury.

Wooderson wrote: »

Not a comparable festival but a look over the years will show a hell of a lot of Glasto headliners - Florence & the Machine, Mumfords, Blur, Manic Street Preachers, Arcade Fire, Gil Scott-Heron, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, The Cure, Pulp, etc.
    We've done well over the years and there's enough money there for FR to pay for two of the three suggested headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A realistic assessment there by BullBlackNova. Daft Punk would be my personal dream headliner for EP but I don't think it will ever happen, I would think they're more likely to play a standalone gig, even at that they have not announced that they are back touring next year it is all just rumours really based on the fact that they toured in 1997 & 2007. Radiohead or Stone Roses I would think we have a chance of seeing, Stone Roses in particular seems to make sense and they would really suit the festival I would say. No chance of the likes of Ed Sheeran and Lady Gaga thankfully, wouldn't think The Weeknd would be an EP type either. The Gorillaz and The XX are definitely two names who will be popping up in this thread a lot I would say, would like to see them both booked.

A realistic assessment there by BullBlackNova. Daft Punk would be my personal dream headliner for EP but I don't think it will ever happen, I would think they're more likely to play a standalone gig, even at that they have not announced that they are back touring next year it is all just rumours really based on the fact that they toured in 1997 & 2007. Radiohead or Stone Roses I would think we have a chance of seeing, Stone Roses in particular seems to make sense and they would really suit the festival I would say. No chance of the likes of Ed Sheeran and Lady Gaga thankfully, wouldn't think The Weeknd would be an EP type either. The Gorillaz and The XX are definitely two names who will be popping up in this thread a lot I would say, would like to see them both booked.

Daily Star reported that Glasto had approached Daft Punk to play next year. Reddit & NME reporting that Lollapaloza took a page down that indicated they were playing in 2017. All still unsubstantiated but it's not just random speculation.

I don't want Ed Sheeran to play but he has before and may again. A Croke Park gig would be more lucrative but many artists like to mix it up with fests. Hope he doesn't.

And let's pray you're right about Gorillaz, ideal for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I don't know about you guys, but Jesus Moby would be class... Moby, Gorillaz and Radiohead would probably be just enough to melt my brain...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Daft Punk, Kraftwerk and Stone Roses please and thanks

Advertisement