Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The lineup is full of quality acts. I don't understand the mentality of people who immediately dismiss a lineup because they see a load of names they don't know. Thats what's Spotify is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SimqlySketch

What would past goers recommend for footwear? Do you wear something comfortable in the early hours then change into boots or would you keep on the same pair for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

What would past goers recommend for footwear? Do you wear something comfortable in the early hours then change into boots or would you keep on the same pair for the day?

Have a decent set of waterproof walking shoes. Have never needed more than that. Wellies are excessive and very tough on the body I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

D.Q wrote: »
    Have a decent set of waterproof walking shoes. Have never needed more than that. Wellies are excessive and very tough on the body I think.

I've spent weeks trying to tell the missus to buy walking boots but she's going with wellies. I'm going to have to listen to some amount of crying about blisters and sore feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

what would the best time to head from Dublin to definitely get the green car park. And what's the best way to go to make sure I don't end up in the red car park. Camping in pink moon hoping to get as close as possible. Thanks xx

Thursday.

Look, I posted this backthread a bit, but this is the first year that EP have offered the Early Access 'add-on' which lets people get into the campsites on Thursday evening.

So, all advice from previous years on when to arrive for car parks and all that, it's going to be broken by this new change.

And it was always a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' thing anyway - the car park stewards have their order for how they fill up the car parks, and it's really hard to bypass that.

I believe the Green car park is the one that they fill up first, so the best answer I can give is 'as early as you can', but there's no guarantee unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I've a pair of merrell walking shoe type things should it be dry and lightweight waterproof boots if the nasty happens, your feet would be utterly donald ducked after a weekend in wellies.

You need the comfort and support, wellies just don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jayop wrote: »
    I've spent weeks trying to tell the missus to buy walking boots but she's going with wellies. I'm going to have to listen to some amount of crying about blisters and sore feet.

Get some earplugs too...

I've a pair of merrell walking shoe type things should it be dry and lightweight waterproof boots if the nasty happens, your feet would be utterly donald ducked after a weekend in wellies.

You need the comfort and support, wellies just don't have that.

Nah wellies are made for short bursts of activity in really bad ground. People were posting the general distance covered over the weekend, no way should you be doing those distances in wellies, whilst under varying degrees of influences. Dunno how people manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It really depends on the weather and where you're staying. 2 years ago the weather was near perfect and the ground was dry. Last year the place was in ****e from the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KateMRay

First time EP goer here. Just wondering if we're coming by car from Cork and staying in Hendrix, from looking at last year's map I'm thinking of trying to park in yellow. Is this the best place to go for and how would we go about getting in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

KateMRay wrote: »
    First time EP goer here. Just wondering if we're coming by car from Cork and staying in Hendrix, from looking at last year's map I'm thinking of trying to park in yellow. Is this the best place to go for and how would we go about getting in there?

Your more of less directed where to park to be honest. Last year we had the same intention but never actually got to choose the carpark. My advice is just get there as early as possible for a car spot as close as possible to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Anyone able to show where the eco campsite is on this photo from last year please? Ta.

gardap.png

Pair of Docs. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭LowOdour

MJohnston wrote: »
    Thursday.

Look, I posted this backthread a bit, but this is the first year that EP have offered the Early Access 'add-on' which lets people get into the campsites on Thursday evening.

So, all advice from previous years on when to arrive for car parks and all that, it's going to be broken by this new change.

And it was always a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' thing anyway - the car park stewards have their order for how they fill up the car parks, and it's really hard to bypass that.

I believe the Green car park is the one that they fill up first, so the best answer I can give is 'as early as you can', but there's no guarantee unfortunately.

Feck, missed that post. Glad I saw it now. Question, is Pink Moon opening on thursday? You would think if its only Joplin, Wilde etc that are opening that its better to open the red car park as its closer to the main EP campsites?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Feck, missed that post. Glad I saw it now. Question, is Pink Moon opening on thursday? You would think if its only Joplin, Wilde etc that are opening that its better to open the red car park as its closer to the main EP campsites?

Pink moon is open too. You have to buy early access on both ticketmaster AND pink moon. Pure robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Pink moon is open too. You have to buy early access on both ticketmaster AND pink moon. Pure robbery.
    That is a bit of a balls I have to say. At least I can pack accordingly now. 

Someone mentioned about bringing the minimum in with you to the camp site, get your wrist band and then return to get the rest of the heavier stuff from the car and head on in  without holding it in a queue. Red car park is anything from 20-30 minute walk from pink moon I think

That is a bit of a balls I have to say. At least I can pack accordingly now. 

Someone mentioned about bringing the minimum in with you to the camp site, get your wrist band and then return to get the rest of the heavier stuff from the car and head on in  without holding it in a queue. Red car park is anything from 20-30 minute walk from pink moon I think

Pink Moon complicates that advice I gave though, as you have to get both the main entrance wristband, plus the Pink Moon checkin. I used Pink Moon 2 years ago and 100% honestly, queued for over 2 hours to check in.

I'd leave most of your stuff until you've checked in there. You should have a fair bit less without a tent and all that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

MJohnston wrote: »
    Pink Moon complicates that advice I gave though, as you have to get both the main entrance wristband, plus the Pink Moon checkin. I used Pink Moon 2 years ago and 100% honestly, queued for over 2 hours to check in.

I'd leave most of your stuff until you've checked in there. You should have a fair bit less without a tent and all that anyway.

Get to pink moon before 12/1 and there's only a tiny queue, I've honestly never been waiting more than 3 minutes to get to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I got to pink moon last year around 12 and there was no queue at all. It is some trek from the red car park to the pink moon though, I'm definitely going to aim for the green car park but it's not in our hands where we end up really. As a poster pointed out, if you end up in the red car park walk up the road/path before you enter the queues for the wristbands/checks and you can enter the paintball entrance which is right beside the pink moon. Unfortunately I did not know this last year and walked all the way through Oscar Wilde, Salty Dog etc when there were thousands of people walking in the other direction. Not ideal!!

Tempted to go down on the Thursday this year but will wait until closer to the time to see what the weather is like. I think I would enjoy waking up down there on the Friday and having the full day ahead of me, Thursday would be an ideal night to have a few beers around the campsite and mix with a few people. On the flip side, I wonder would it make me more tired for the rest of the weekend? And would it mean I would spend half my Friday morning having a shower, charging my phone etc.

Poorside wrote: »
    Get to pink moon before 12/1 and there's only a tiny queue, I've honestly never been waiting more than 3 minutes to get to check in.

Nah, I don't remember for certain exactly when I got there, but I know I went early in the morning, because (like I mentioned) I got stuck in a traffic clusterf*ck heading into the car parks and was annoyed because I'd left so early and spent an hour waiting there. So I was definitely there before 1pm that year, they just had a very slow check-in system going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

thebusher wrote: »
    Anyone able to show where the eco campsite is on this photo from last year please? Ta.

I think it was here the year before last but I'm not 100%

425586.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There's no point stressing about car parks. If you're arriving Friday you'll be sent into the red car park. Just don't pack too much junk (that list that keeps getting reposted is way OTT) and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭the_gommes

gardap.png

The square campsite surrounded by trees is Oscar Wilde. The Eco camp is to the left of that in the photo, just outside the trees towards the car parks. I've never stayed there but think that's it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭the_gommes

Sorry, edited that because I couldn't spell square & ended up doubling it up. Ugh!

the_gommes wrote: »
    Sorry, edited that because I couldn't spell square & ended up doubling it up. Ugh!

Thanks to both of you who replied.

Anyone reckon its worth staying there?
    We stayed in Joplin last year with no hassle and lots of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Now that the full line up is out, what acts are we expecting to have on the main stage this year?

This is a complete guess but I could see something along these lines:
    Friday: Hudson Taylor > London Grammar > Run the Jewels > The XX
    Saturday: Keywest > The Riptide Movement > All Tvvins > Madness > Phoenix > A Tribe Called Quest > Pete Tong
    Sunday: Dublin Gospel Choir > The Skatalites > Rag N Bone Man > The Pretenders > Chaka Khan > Elbow > Duran Duran

Thanks to both of you who replied.

Anyone reckon its worth staying there?
    We stayed in Joplin last year with no hassle and lots of space.

You have to register for that and it's full at this stage.

Now that the full line up is out, what acts are we expecting to have on the main stage this year?

This is a complete guess but I could see something along these lines:
    Friday: Hudson Taylor > London Grammar > Run the Jewels > The XX
    Saturday: Keywest > The Riptide Movement > All Tvvins > Madness > Phoenix > A Tribe Called Quest > Pete Tong
    Sunday: Dublin Gospel Choir > The Skatalites > Rag N Bone Man > The Pretenders > Chaka Khan > Elbow > Duran Duran

I'd say that's a good guess, but I'm almost sure the Pretenders will be Saturday as I think they're at other festivals on the Friday and Sunday

Poorside wrote: »
    You have to register for that and it's full at this stage.

Yea I registered both of us. Just wondering if its better than being in Joplin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

We queued at pink moon for two hours in 2015 but it was fun, we took it in turns and the rest of us sat in our deckchairs and drank in the sunshine. Last year arrived at 1pm and only queued ten minutes.

I really hope Phoenix aren't on too early. They're my highlight

Advertisement