Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Coz

gaffolino wrote: »
    Phhhhew. I taught I was the only one that doesn't get the XX

I get The XX and London Grammar but for me they come under the realm of "Meaudery ****e".

I'd go see them in The Olympia or even the Concert Hall, where I can sit down and relax listening to them.

They're a festival buzzkill IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Coz wrote: »
    I get The XX and London Grammar but for me they come under the realm of "Meaudery ****e".

I'd go see them in The Olympia or even the Concert Hall, where I can sit down and relax listening to them.

While I can understand you saying this about the xx, London Grammar is a completely different story. Last time in EA the entire audience (tent was full) was gob smacked at the beautiful sounds and magical voice. One of the best gigs I have ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

While I can understand you saying this about the xx, London Grammar is a completely different story. Last time in EA the entire audience (tent was full) was gob smacked at the beautiful sounds and magical voice. One of the best gigs I have ever been to.

Absolutely agree, I do wish they weren't on the Main Stage though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't like The xx on record but they are good live and definitely worth checking out.

If you don't like London Grammar then there is clearly something wrong with you :P It'll probably be the set of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

If I was to recommend one act to all of you I would say Le Boom.

Saw them for the first time at castlepalooza after hearing lots of good things about them and they were amazing. Irish act who only have onw released song so far but have a great catalogue of live tunes. Live electronic pop kind of music with a girl on drums and a lad on live vocals. I would say it is impossible not to find them enjoyable and having a dance at them.

I've heard they are closing out the body and soul main stage on the Saturday night (could be wrong), I have a feeling they will be an act we are all talking about on the Monday morning. Be warned!!

This. Had never heard of them until I saw them supporting Kormac on New Years Eve. Great band and are on the must see list for me.

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree, I do wish they weren't on the Main Stage though

Is this confirmed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ianeglington

If I was to recommend one act to all of you I would say Le Boom.

Saw them for the first time at castlepalooza after hearing lots of good things about them and they were amazing. Irish act who only have onw released song so far but have a great catalogue of live tunes. Live electronic pop kind of music with a girl on drums and a lad on live vocals. I would say it is impossible not to find them enjoyable and having a dance at them.

I've heard they are closing out the body and soul main stage on the Saturday night (could be wrong), I have a feeling they will be an act we are all talking about on the Monday morning. Be warned!!
    im totally checking these guys out after all the recommendations. sounds like a lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

gaffolino wrote: »
    gazzer wrote: »
    For me it will be

Elbow
    Duran Duran
    The Pretenders
    Chaka Khan
    The Riptide Movement
    London Grammar
    Rag' N' Bone Man
    Japandroids
    Father John Misty
    Hudson Taylor
    Jago
    Róisin O
    Brave Giant
    Hannah WANTS
    Pete Tong
    Annie Mac
    Klark Cant
    Mylo
    Soulwax
    Bicep
    Tiga

And last but not least

KING KONG COMPANY (if I only get to see one act it will be these).

Im know I am in the minority but I cannot abide The XX :):):)

Phhhhew. I taught I was the only one that doesn't get the XX
    I've tried to like them, listened to every successive release & even went to them twice at fests (including EP 2009) but each set left me really cold. They've a few good tunes, and a nice sound but zilch stage presence and I just can't get into them. I enjoyed the Jamie XX solo album though & would enjoy a set of his at EP. Having said that I'll give them a look if not clashing with something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jamie will probably do a short DJ set of his own at the end of The XX's set.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

MadYaker wrote: »

That would be glorious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Coz wrote: »

they went down brilliantly on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury this year.

set is very dance-y in places:

MadYaker wrote: »
    he does 1 or occasionally 2 songs when the other 2 go off for the encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Superb line up this year. My only worry (curmudgeon alert) is that, after being to B&S this year, I have a sneaking suspicion that young folk tend to go to some gigs to be seen at the gigs with their friends rather than have any particular interest in the music. Maybe I'm wrong but certainly at B&S, folks were having full blown conversations right at the front of the main stage (this may have been due, in part, to the main stage not having big crowds at it a lot of the time).

Please please please, if you want to talk, FXXK off away from where the music is!

roll wrote: »
    Superb line up this year. My only worry (curmudgeon alert) is that, after being to B&S this year, I have a sneaking suspicion that young folk tend to go to some gigs to be seen at the gigs with their friends rather than have any particular interest in the music. Maybe I'm wrong but certainly at B&S, folks were having full blown conversations right at the front of the main stage (this may have been due, in part, to the main stage not having big crowds at it a lot of the time).

Please please please, if you want to talk, FXXK off away from where the music is!

I'm pretty sure on this thread that you are speaking to the converted. The people you speak of are the scurge of Irish festival goers. These so called "people" have no interest in chatting with the old fvckers on this thread.

/end grump rant

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

i meant 'some' young folk, by the way-don't want to tar them all with the same brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LimboSlice

Sorry to be an absolute pain, but does anyone have a link to the festival essentials list someone posted a while back? Had a root around there for it but cant find it. A friend keeps asking what to bring so just gonna forward it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

LimboSlice wrote: »
    Sorry to be an absolute pain, but does anyone have a link to the festival essentials list someone posted a while back? Had a root around there for it but cant find it. A friend keeps asking what to bring so just gonna forward it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103125258&postcount=3126

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LimboSlice

Cheers! Thats the exact one I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is it that I didn't realise that Jamie XX was from The XX until now? Despite the fact that I used to have both on my iPod from the older sister!

Also, has anyone used the 'SILVERCREST Power Bank with Solar Charger' from Lidl? Is it any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Lzmunky

roll wrote: »
    i meant 'some' young folk, by the way-don't want to tar them all with the same brush!

Tar away.... little feckers! Youth is wasted on the young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is it that I didn't realise that Jamie XX was from The XX until now?

spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven1-500x281.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is it that I didn't realise that Jamie XX was from The XX until now?

spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven1-500x281.jpg:D
    Very harsh. Xx is such a common surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Also, has anyone used the 'SILVERCREST Power Bank with Solar Charger' from Lidl? Is it any use?

I'm sure it's fine but 5000 mAh isn't a huge amount of power, not even two full charges of a standard smartphone. For €14.99 it's not great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I've tried to like them, listened to every successive release & even went to them twice at fests (including EP 2009) but each set left me really cold. They've a few good tunes, and a nice sound but zilch stage presence and I just can't get into them. I enjoyed the Jamie XX solo album though & would enjoy a set of his at EP. Having said that I'll give them a look if not clashing with something decent.
    Not to open an old discussion but I find it odd that you would mention a lack of stage presence for The XX but would enjoy a Jamie XX set live. Doesn't he stand still behind a deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Pretty sure he waves his arms a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Johnny boy85

He doesn't! I've seen them and Interpol a few times and while their music is very good (imo) their stage presence is poor and can be drab at times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Not to open an old discussion but I find it odd that you would mention a lack of stage presence for The XX but would enjoy a Jamie XX set live. Doesn't he stand still behind a deck?

His stuff is livelier. If he was doing a solo set I'd be uninterested but I was thinking more of him using his guest singers for the stage show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

In the air?

He doesn't! I've seen them and Interpol a few times and while their music is very good (imo) their stage presence is poor and can be drab at times
    I like their stage presence, as I came to hear the music, not some sh1tty stories in between songs wasting time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I've seen Interpol a few times myself and while their stage presence is bland as ****, they are fantastic live and Greg Drudy on drums is worth catching, he is amazing..... :)

Advertisement