Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

I'm surprised to see Phoenix missing from most of the must see lists.

If you're not familiar, have a listen to J Boy. It's epic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Poorside wrote: »
    In the air?

It's almost as though the chap doesn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Must Sees:

Soulwax
    Le Galaxie
    Kelly Lee Owens
    Public Service Broadcasting
    Mano Le Tough
    All Tviins

(Really liking Akora too)

There's a ridiculous amount of good acts this year, it's going to be class. Big shout out to the Boardsie who created that Electric Picnic 2017 lineup playlist. Has been brilliant listening to it on random. Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

PinkCamper wrote: »

Yeah I'm really liking their new album, will definitely try and catch them depending on clashes

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I like their stage presence, as I came to hear the music, not some sh1tty stories in between songs wasting time.

Stage presence as in performance, moving around a bit, and yeah, maybe the odd word here and there.

You sound like you're after their yet to be released live album.

• Advertisement

Top 3:
    Bicurious
    Kelly Lee Owens
    Can't decide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Top 3:
    Bicurious
    Kelly Lee Owens
    Can't decide

That's like a weird poem about sexual indecison

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭gandalfio

PinkCamper wrote: »

I find them very hit and miss. For every belter there's bland mediocrity

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sorry if a lot of this has already been answered, but I'm going to the picnic for the first time in nearly ten years this year and was wondering if anyone had a few tips, specifically:

1. Is there a massive surge of people on the Friday morning at 9am? I've seen a few people suggest that going there at 12/1pm usually has no queue but does that mean that most of the good camping spots are already taken?

2. Is there a more laid back, non-reserved/ticketed campsite for the elder lemmons going e.g. the Joplin campsite since it's further away from the arena, or are all the ordinary campsites going to be a bit mad? Obviously there will be people milling about wherever I go but where is best to avoid the 24 hour thumping techno?

3. How does the enforcement of the 48 cans rule work? I'm not trying to sneak in more than 48 cans like a mad yolk, but I was just wondering if you have to bring them in at first entry only or can they be left in the car while I set up my tent etc an then go back for them rather than lugging a large amount of them in with me.

4. At glastonbury people can put a guyline between a group of tents to mark off an area but I think the last time I was in EP they had banned this (too many people tripping up or taking up too much space etc. Is there any way of saving a space for a friend's tent or is it just first come first serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Sorry if a lot of this has already been answered

4. At glastonbury people can put a guyline between a group of tents to mark off an area but I think the last time I was in EP they had banned this (too many people tripping up or taking up too much space etc. Is there any way of saving a space for a friend's tent or is it just first come first serve?

Frowned upon at both. Surprised at you here - at the G this craic is a nicht-nicht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

If you bring in 48 cans do you not just end up with warm beer for the rest of the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sorry if a lot of this has already been answered, but I'm going to the picnic for the first time in nearly ten years this year and was wondering if anyone had a few tips, specifically:

1. Is there a massive surge of people on the Friday morning at 9am? I've seen a few people suggest that going there at 12/1pm usually has no queue but does that mean that most of the good camping spots are already taken?

2. Is there a more laid back, non-reserved/ticketed campsite for the elder lemmons going e.g. the Joplin campsite since it's further away from the arena, or are all the ordinary campsites going to be a bit mad? Obviously there will be people milling about wherever I go but where is best to avoid the 24 hour thumping techno?

3. How does the enforcement of the 48 cans rule work? I'm not trying to sneak in more than 48 cans like a mad yolk, but I was just wondering if you have to bring them in at first entry only or can they be left in the car while I set up my tent etc an then go back for them rather than lugging a large amount of them in with me.

1. I'd say it will be relatively busy all day getting into the festival. I have arrived between 10am - 12pm the past 3 years and have been queuing for around 30 mins I'd say, which isn't too bad. Not sure what would be peak or quietest time but doubt there is a way of avoiding the queue altogether.

2. Janis Joplin or Charlie Chaplin are the quietest, Hendrix is the wildest. I've camped in Oscar Wilde most years and it has been grand overall.

3. Not really enforced, can bring drink in anytime over the weekend.

4. First come first served, the closer you are to the arena the faster the campsite will fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

gazzer wrote: »
    For me it will be

Elbow
    Duran Duran
    The Pretenders
    Chaka Khan
    The Riptide Movement
    London Grammar
    Rag' N' Bone Man
    Japandroids
    Father John Misty
    Hudson Taylor
    Jago
    Róisin O
    Brave Giant
    Hannah WANTS
    Pete Tong
    Annie Mac
    Klark Cant
    Mylo
    Soulwax
    Bicep
    Tiga

And last but not least

KING KONG COMPANY (if I only get to see one act it will be these).

Im know I am in the minority but I cannot abide The XX :):):)

Decided to give King Kong Company a first listen today. Now, just a few hours later, I've found myself on the way home from work with 4 cans of the bands bucky infused beer, "Commotion Lotion".
    Can't wait to see them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any lifts going to Stradbally from Galway on the 27th August Sunday, will help towards fuel costs and coffees. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

D.Q wrote: »
    That's like a weird poem about sexual indecison

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Am very much liking Real Estate who are new to me. In the absence of jingly-jangly guitars from Teenage Fanclub or Mac DeMarco these guys will do for me. Any live reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Am very much liking Real Estate who are new to me. In the absence of jingly-jangly guitars from Teenage Fanclub or Mac DeMarco these guys will do for me. Any live reports?

They were very good live, although they've just changed their lead guitarist for their more recent album, which has changed their sound a touch, a slight bit more aggressive (which is still a low amount of aggression!), dunno if that has changed their live sound at all.

Hopefully they're in a tent, some songs have a really delicate texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

The EP playlist a boardsie made with every act is so handy. Playing through it alphabetically and marking out bands I'd be interested in, which Is faaar too many.

10 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Peesh89

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Decided to give King Kong Company a first listen today. Now, just a few hours later, I've found myself on the way home from work with 4 cans of the bands bucky infused beer, "Commotion Lotion".
    Can't wait to see them now.

Where did you get it?? Deffo want to give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah if that stuff is for sale in Galway I'd love to try it, anyone know where to get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah if that stuff is for sale in Galway I'd love to try it, anyone know where to get it?

They'll tell you here: http://yellowbellybeer.ie/ultimate-festival-beer/

Any lifts going to Stradbally from Galway on the 27th August Sunday, will help towards fuel costs and coffees. :)

Yay got sorted a lift from Galway at 4.30 pm on the 27th, canna wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

€2 deposit per cup! €8/€8.50 per pint.

Yay got sorted a lift from Galway at 4.30 pm on the 27th, canna wait. :)

BD you're our eyes and ears :) will you have internet for a quick update before the festival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

huh? So if you go up for a beer you have to bring your own cup up with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fatfrog wrote: »
    €2 deposit per cup! €8/€8.50 per pint.
    No...surely that's 10 for €2! 20c per scoop.

Jayop wrote: »
    huh? So if you go up for a beer you have to bring your own cup up with you?

Thats a screen dump from the app, not entirely sure?

For me personally I'd pay the deposit for the first time, but rather than going to some refund point, I'd like to hand my old cup in when ordering and get a fresh cup with the new pint.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Thats a screen dump from the app, not entirely sure?

For me personally I'd pay the deposit for the first time, but rather than going to some refund point, I'd like to hand my old cup in when ordering and get a fresh cup with the new pint.

So long as you can do that I'd be happy enough.

Actually I'll see if I can find a variety of slightly bigger than a pint cups online, then try to chance if I can use them :p

• Advertisement

Realistically though, absolutely no-one is going to be going up to a refund point with 10 cups for teh sake of €2. It's just another way to get a bit more money out of people. I suppose people will reuse a cup 2/3 times, but say I'm gone into the main area with 3 other people, we buy 10 cups, 6 of them have to lugged around and nothing surer than they'll break in a backpack so every time one breaks you really need to buy another 10.

Advertisement