Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/information/staying-green

Yes, 20 cent per pint glass.

You'll see otherwise bored kids roaming the festival collecting them and cashing in, it's a good system.

It's not a money making thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Stillill42 wrote: »
    No...surely that's 10 for €2! 20c per scoop.

Yeah sorry forget that don't know what way I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    BD you're our eyes and ears :) will you have internet for a quick update before the festival?

I will on my phone but I don't do Boards on the phone its more a laptop thing for me although I will be reading it from time to time, pm me your whatsapp name or facebook name and I can send you updates through that. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Fatfrog wrote: »
    €2 deposit per cup! €8/€8.50 per pint.

Well I've still got a few of my Electric Picnic plastic pint glasses so will be taking one of them with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Do any of you know if there's buses running to EP from Mayo? Just thinking it might be a load less headaches than taking the car.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Do any of you know if there's buses running to EP from Mayo? Just thinking it might be a load less headaches than taking the car.

Maybe Westport, Castlebar or Ballina, I think there is definitely buses running from Galway, Citylink and Bus Eireann ones.

Edit: Buses going from Castlebar and Claremorris. :)https://www.irishconcerttravel.ie/venues/electric-picnic/

For all ye in the North West the same crowd are running buses to EP from Sligo, Carrick on Shannon and Donegal. Longford, Mullingar, Roscommon, Athlone, Galway and Dublin :)

Realistically though, absolutely no-one is going to be going up to a refund point with 10 cups for teh sake of €2. It's just another way to get a bit more money out of people. I suppose people will reuse a cup 2/3 times, but say I'm gone into the main area with 3 other people, we buy 10 cups, 6 of them have to lugged around and nothing surer than they'll break in a backpack so every time one breaks you really need to buy another 10.

That's not how it works. You don't buy empty cups and they don't get re-used.

Every pint has a 20 cent surcharge and every pint comes in a new cup.

To encourage recycling, you can get the surcharge back at the refund point. Since the cups don't get re-used, it doesn't matter if one cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Do the empty cups have to come back 'intact', ie. if you squash them into a back pocket and they crack a bit, would they take them?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BrianosaurJr

Yes i'm almost certain they would. I think a few people are getting the wrong end of the stick with this system perhaps? It's not about money making or if the cups are intact upon return. It's to encourage people not to throw their empties on the ground, or in a waste bin, where they'll be dumped as normal and instead, to try to reduce wastage of plastic and recycle it instead at the Friends of the Earth organization refund points that are set up on-site. As mentioned by another user there's a 20c charge tacked on to every pint you buy. If you want the 20c (per cup) back, keep the empties and refund them. You'll most likely see kids at some point collecting them (sometimes asking you for your empties if you have one in your hand) from the ground or other punters looking for some quick beer money. It works.

Yes i'm almost certain they would. I think a few people are getting the wrong end of the stick with this system perhaps? It's not about money making or if the cups are intact upon return. It's to encourage people not to throw their empties on the ground, or in a waste bin, where they'll be dumped as normal and instead, to try to reduce wastage of plastic and recycle it instead at the Friends of the Earth organization refund points that are set up on-site. As mentioned by another user there's a 20c charge tacked on to every pint you buy. If you want the 20c (per cup) back, keep the empties and refund them.

Yeah, I certainly understand the non-dumping intent, and I'm fully supportive of it myself, but I'm just wondering because I reckon the 'refund' stalls are perhaps staffed by people who might not accept broken cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Went to see Springsteen in Paris last year and if you bought a recyclable cup it was 11 euro for the first pint plus cup and 8 euro for every pint afterwards if you used the same cup.

Proper hard plastic pint cup with The River and Bruce on it. Still using it at home for parties and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's pointless and stupid unless people are allowed to reuse the same cups. That would save much more plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Lzmunky

The weather sites are starting to get a better picture of the week leading up to next Friday now, yr have it as dry up to Thursday with a little rain Thursday afternoon. Ground should be okay if that's the case.

It's pointless and stupid unless people are allowed to reuse the same cups. That would save much more plastic.

That's completely unworkable though. Absolutely impossible.

What's the worst case scenario? If you drank ten pints each day and dropped every cup on the ground, total extra cost over the entire weekend is 6 euro. Six quid.

This way, recycling will be close to 100%. It's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

They do this at download and you always see people scavenging for cups on the last day. I think it's a good system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

thebusher wrote: »
    Went to see Springsteen in Paris last year and if you bought a recyclable cup it was 11 euro for the first pint plus cup and 8 euro for every pint afterwards if you used the same cup.

Proper hard plastic pint cup with The River and Bruce on it. Still using it at home for parties and that.

EP used to do this, at least twice. I have an old EP pint glass somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

thebusher wrote: »

The Picnic had those for several years and it worked very well (like Bodhrandude I still have a few at home, paid a €2 deposit I think) but they stopped using them in the middle of one festival (2010?) and switched to soft plastic. I think there was some issue with the chemical composition of the hard plastic & it was withdrawn. Never got a full explanation for that & never saw those cups again.

I'd like to see them reintroduced as they work so well and are greener than having to recycle hundreds of thousands of soft plastic glasses. Hard plastic currently used & works very well at other festivals. You listening EP?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Where did you get it?? Deffo want to give it a try!

If you're in Dublin, I found Stephens Street News have a few cans of it in stock. Right in the middle of town, https://twitter.com/StephenStNews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Both EP & Oxegen used to have the hard plastic glasses.
    Your 1st pint was an extra few quid.
    You'd hand back in your empty and get a new one, they wouldn't take your empty and refill that!

It worked much better imo.

Lzmunky wrote: »
    The weather sites are starting to get a better picture of the week leading up to next Friday now, yr have it as dry up to Thursday with a little rain Thursday afternoon. Ground should be okay if that's the case.

Still a bit too early for solid predictions, even for *this* weekend - too much variation from model to model and model run to model run is a good hint things are very unpredictable.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=world;loc=1015472~stradbally,%20Laois,%20IRELAND;sess=#forecast Is a good site to keep watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

didn't they have this extra 20c on a pint thing at EP the last few years already? there was definitely a 20c surcharge for "recycling" and i'm pretty certain that there were exchange points.

it didn't make much of a difference last year, the ground was still littered with plastic cups as people don't give enough of a fu-ck about 20c.

make it 2 quid for a hard plastic cup like lots of other festivals do and people won't be so quick to drop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brgn hntr

Does anybody know if family camping tickets will be valid in the Eco campsite? We won't be bringing any kids! Will that matter? Do they check these things?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Synode wrote: »
    Big shout out to the Boardsie who created that Electric Picnic 2017 lineup playlist. Has been brilliant listening to it on random. Thanks a mil

What playlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Griff77

Does anyone know if there will be an off licence again this year and when you can order? Couldn't find any info on it. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

What playlist?

yea link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

irishfan9 wrote: »
    yea link?

Please and thanks never go astray..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

brgn hntr wrote: »
    Does anybody know if family camping tickets will be valid in the Eco campsite? We won't be bringing any kids! Will that matter? Do they check these things?

Thanks in advance.

No they won't be valid. Eco camping had to be applied for specially and it booked up very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Griff77 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there will be an off licence again this year and when you can order? Couldn't find any info on it. Cheers

yup, should be available later this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

brgn hntr wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

if you applied and got eco camping you can use your family camping as an entrance ticket with no kids

if you had no kids the only difference is you wouldnt be allowed entry to the family camping campsite

Advertisement