Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Peesh89

http://www.jerry-fish.com/news/

Jerry Fish stage times if someone hasn't posted already..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Good news that These Charming Men are playing. They are very good... or at least the music they cover is very good!

I think probably Public Service Broadcasting are the act I'm looking forward to most. My must sees would be London Grammar, The Pretenders, Parquet Courts, Real Estate, Jagwar Ma.... a few other I'll also want to see.

Any trad going anywhere?

Kíla ?
    Where are they likely to play? Body & Soul like LAPD in 2013? Or main stage like Bellowhead or their own set ten years back? Would love to see them in a tent or at B&S, could work very well as an antidote to a lot of noise elsewhere. Or in my own hungover head.

And what about getting The Gloaming or Moving Hearts down to Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Where are they likely to play? Body & Soul like LAPD in 2013? Or main stage like Bellowhead or their own set ten years back? Would love to see them in a tent or at B&S, could work very well as an antidote to a lot of noise elsewhere. Or in my own hungover head.

And what about getting The Gloaming or Moving Hearts down to Laois?

Kila Saturday Afternoon on the B&S main stage would be smashing ... but they weren't in the B&S announcement, so it might well be the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Peesh89 wrote: »

Who could the mysterious surprise guests be on Sunday? Perhaps an accidentally previously listed act in the Jerry Fish line-up?

Do like me a bit of Kormac though - great act with a horrible fan base of Abercrombie and Fitch gimps, if previous Dublin gigs are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

HausOfTony wrote: »
    Does anyone reckon there'll be anything happening on the Thursday night for people heading down?

dogging session in the woods most likely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

alastair wrote: »
    Who could the mysterious surprise guests be on Sunday? Perhaps an accidentally previously listed act in the Jerry Fish line-up?

Do like me a bit of Kormac though - great act with a horrible fan base of Abercrombie and Fitch gimps, if previous Dublin gigs are anything to go by.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Something that doesn't come up very often. Can anyone recommend any good food stalls at Electric Picnic? Over the years I have generally been very boring and played it safe with food I can stomach and one meal a day. Had a Wok N Roll last year and it left my stomach in the heap for the rest of the day.

I'd say it was the wok n roll that done it to you alright

Dalkeybabe wrote: »
    Have gone to EP since 2007, missed last year but heading this year.
    I cannot wait!! We used to sneak in drink using a particular item but lost it back in 2006, cannot replace it unfortunately. Any ideas? How do most of you get drink into the Arena?
    Much appreciated.

Screwtop Capri sun

davew121 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good floor mat for sleeping I don't want the hassle of pumping a blow up bed

Buy a battery pump from argos. They are a gift

?

The Strypes - listed on initial Jerry Fish line-up, then pulled and announced in final main acts. Clearly they're back in Jerry Fish on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Any trad going anywhere?

Kila
    Beoga
    The Bonny Men
    Céilí Allstars
    Super Céilí (trad mixed with dance music)

There'll be loads more besides in the Pubal tent and mindfield in general.
    The tent beside the 'craft' beer (€6.70 a pint) place had some trad sessions over the weekend last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Lzmunky

In work at the moment, listening to the Boards EP Spotify playlist, because who wants to talk ro people? It is outstanding. Well done whoever made it.

Kila
    Beoga
    The Bonny Men
    Céilí Allstars
    Super Céilí (trad mixed with dance music)

There'll be loads more besides in the Pubal tent and mindfield in general.
    The tent beside the 'craft' beer (€6.70 a pint) place had some trad sessions over the weekend last year too.

I'll happily pay to a little extra to change from Heineken for a little bit.. there's a red ale there (Murphy's) that hits the spot lovely.

Mo & Jenny discussing their thing on RTE Radio 1 atm.

Gonna play all the number one hip hop hits... er ok.

Typical RTE over hyping one of their own productions ... "It started with a spark and developed into a fire" (or words to that effect).

I wonder will one of the "Number One Hip Hip Hits" be ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Peesh89 wrote: »

thanks, have updated the clashfinder with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Lzmunky wrote: »
    In work at the moment, listening to the Boards EP Spotify playlist, because who wants to talk ro people? It is outstanding. Well done whoever made it.

how do i find it on spotify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Mo & Jenny discussing their thing on RTE Radio 1 atm.

Gonna play all the number one hip hop hits... er ok.

Typical RTE over hyping one of their own productions ... "It started with a spark and developed into a fire" (or words to that effect).

I wonder will one of the "Number One Hip Hip Hits" be ...

I think it's going to be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Peesh89

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

normally, I put in a lot of time brushing up on bands and seeing who I like/learning their stuff.

I have been woefully lacklustre this year and so have selected some recommendations from here, created a spotify playlist of their top 4 or 5 listened to songs on spotify and have 75 odd songs to give a good listen to!

I think it's going to be class.

OK, good for you.

I suppose I am old school and have an issue with my taxes and licence fee being spent on self-hype / career promotion. It just galls me. YMMV.

• Advertisement

OK, good for you.

I suppose I am old school and have an issue with my taxes and licence fee being spent on self-hype / career promotion. It just galls me. YMMV.

OK, you don't like it, that's fair enough, but you're on the wrong track here.

Your taxes/licence fee aren't being spent on it; the Jenny Greene/Orchestra wheeze has been a seriously profitable venture and subsidizes your licence fee.

If you're genuinely concerned about prudent use of RTE resources, then you should be all over this.

If Mo K goes on to sell out 3Arena and the Marquee, then it's all gravy for the hard-pressed taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

A Tribe Called Quest, Run the Jewels, Vince Staples and Rusgano Family among others.

Sweet, looking forward to all a these. Havent heard of rusgano family, i'll check em out.
    Saw mix master mikes day time set few years back and it blew me away! been looking for something like that ever since.
    Cant wait now boys and girls...its gonna be class!!!

OK, you don't like it, that's fair enough, but you're on the wrong track here.

Your taxes/licence fee aren't being spent on it; the Jenny Greene/Orchestra wheeze has been a seriously profitable venture and subsidizes your licence fee.

If you're genuinely concerned about prudent use of RTE resources, then you should be all over this.

If Mo K goes on to sell out 3Arena and the Marquee, then it's all gravy for the hard-pressed taxpayer.

Proof? I would be amazed if that is the case .. do you have any idea how much it costs to run an orchestra?

Its not that I don't like it. I never said that. I think its fine, but nothing special so RTE saying that it was the "gig of the weekend" for EP 16 is simply false. Its not just this case, I think that RTE do this on an ongoing basis right across their platforms.

If you can't see the problem with a PBS broadcaster generating self-hype in this manner, then probably our politics differ drastically. Which is fine :)

OK, good for you.

It's okay not to like it, I don't either, Jenny Greene is like a laxative, she irritates the **** out of me. But as has been pointed out, it's a massive money spinner for RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Lzmunky wrote: »
    It's okay not to like it, I don't either, Jenny Greene is like a laxative, she irritates the **** out of me. But as has been pointed out, it's a massive money spinner for RTE

the whole 'gig of the year' thing annoys me, I went in about halfway through,really wanting to like it,stayed for 2 mins and left.
    Certainly wasn't my highpoint and there was a lot better gigs that weekend.But It will draw a lot of people because of the hype, and that just means more room and smaller queues at the jacks for me:D

Poorside wrote: »
    the whole 'gig of the year' thing annoys me, I went in about halfway through,really wanting to like it,stayed for 2 mins and left.
    Certainly wasn't my highpoint and there was a lot better gigs that weekend.But It will draw a lot of people because of the hype, and that just means more room and smaller queues at the jacks for me:D
    I too went for a look, didn't like it and left. RTE aren't going to say it's crap.. the faux outrage regarding promotion is a bit ott I think.

Proof? I would be amazed if that is the case .. do you have any idea how much it costs to run an orchestra?

Its not that I don't like it. I never said that. I think its fine, but nothing special so RTE saying that it was the "gig of the weekend" for EP 16 is simply false. Its not just this case, I think that RTE do this on an ongoing basis right across their platforms.

If you can't see the problem with a PBS broadcaster generating self-hype in this manner, then probably our politics differ drastically. Which is fine :)

The orchestra is being run regardless. That is primarily a fixed cost. The only question is whether they're playing to a couple of hundred people paying €25 at the Clifden Arts Festival (feat. Sir James Galway, 17th Sept) or 11,000 people paying €60 at 3Arena. Huge profit to be made.

RTE's model has always been a mix of commercial and licence-fee. This is an enormous cash-cow for them and "my politics" are that I would like my licence fee kept as low as possible.

Look, the Jenny Greene thing and the Mo K thing is a bit like Hot Dub Time Machine, a bit like the Silent Disco, a bit like the Throwback Tent. It's a bit of fun if you want to take an hour off from being too serious about the music. It was ENORMOUSLY popular last year and rightly so IMO, it was a great show.

I'd go so far as to call it "epic".

Agree that there's unlikely to be room for profit in the ticketed orchestra gigs, but they probably recoup some of the funding costs. No problem with public broadcasters hyping up their events. Sure the BBC wasn't behind the door in lauding the original Pete Tong proms gig as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Difference is really down to who was able to deliver on the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Could someone recommend a good powerbank? Do you think it would get here on time through addresspal? Anyone get one off eBay?

• Advertisement

It was ENORMOUSLY popular last year and rightly so IMO, it was a great show.

I'd go so far as to call it "epic".

It really wasn't. It was poor - and I went with hopeful expectations.

The undoubted great reception in the tent was rather more to do with Friday excesses on the booze and stimulants front than the quality of the show tbh.

Advertisement