Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

most people on here afterwards said they found it disappointing. could barely hear the orchestra being the main complaint. might as well just have had Jenny Greene playing the cd on her own.
    i'm sure the tops-off whoomp-there-it-is brigade loved it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/heinekenr-cold-rooms-returns-electric-picnic-bigger-and-colder

cold room is back, EP is saved, quick someone tell everyone on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

alastair wrote: »
    It really wasn't. It was poor - and I went with hopeful expectations.

The undoubted great reception in the tent was rather more to do with Friday excesses on the booze and stimulants front than the quality of the show tbh.

Yeah, I was just poking the bear a bit with the 'epic' comment. It was good, it was what it was, bit of fun etc.

If the hype about it is overblown, then so too is the backlash against it on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

The orchestra is being run regardless. That is primarily a fixed cost. The only question is whether they're playing to a couple of hundred people paying €25 at the Clifden Arts Festival or 11,000 people paying €60 at 3Arena.

RTE's model has always been a mix of commercial and licence-fee. This is an enormous cash-cow for them and "my politics" are that I would like my licence fee kept as low as possible.

Regardless of the methodology used to bolster revenue? Licence fee has been the same for years so its not going down due to this. If anything RTE want to increase the licence fee.

As I keep saying .. my issue is the self promotion from a public broadcaster. No body else called it the gig of the weekend .. only RTE.

Call me old fashioned, but I just think that a public funded (partially) public broadcaster should be impartial, particularly when it comes to its own productions. So my issue is with the non-impartial self-promotion rather than the actual production or the whether the project itself is financially viable. I personally believe RTE abuses its position as a PBS in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Pieta house holding a few decent discussions

http://www.alustforlife.com/soundeffect/electric-picnic-full-line-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hey dudes stop going on about the stupid Jenny Greene show, one show out of the many on for the whole weekend jeez.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Hey dudes stop going on about the stupid Jenny Greene show, one show out of the many on for the whole weekend jeez.

:rolleyes:

Regardless of the methodology used to bolster revenue? Licence fee has been the same for years so its not going down due to this. If anything RTE want to increase the licence fee.

As I keep saying .. my issue is the self promotion from a public broadcaster. No body else called it the gig of the weekend .. only RTE.

Call me old fashioned, but I just think that a public funded (partially) public broadcaster should be impartial, particularly when it comes to its own productions. So my issue is with the non-impartial self-promotion rather than the actual production or the whether the project itself is financially viable. I personally believe RTE abuses its position as a PBS in this regard.

Gig of the weekend is hugely subjective, but the show last year got almost universal acclaim, pretty much everywhere except here.

Gig of the weekend is hugely subjective, but the show last year got almost universal acclaim, pretty much everywhere except here.

I'm done ..

How about Michael Kiwanuka? ... not many people have him on their lists, but I am really looking for to that ... Has anyone seen him live before? How was it?

• Advertisement

How about Michael Kiwanuka? ... not many people have him on their lists, but I am really looking for to that ... Has anyone seen him live before? How was it?

We can agree on this, really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

How many charges does it do before it dies?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Hi,

Anyone know when and where attention bebe are playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Caught him when he was last at EP in 2012 and it was pretty dull. Material good but it didn't work on the main stage. But since then he did my favourite album of 2016 with Danger Mouse and his gig is one of my must-sees this year. Also heard great reports from The Green Man festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Peesh89

Hi,

Body & Soul - dunno when yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Hi,

somewhere in Body and Soul, probably the main stage i'd imagine. won't know until times/stages are out next week, unless they put it up before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

For what it's worth my gig of the festival and possibly all of last year was The Avett Brothers.

I have never been as impressed with a band Id never seen before. They went from marauding rollicking Pogue like punk to heavenly melodies.

Can't wait for them go come back to Ireland.

Attention Bebe is either B&S main stage, Earthship, Bandstand or one of the many other stages in B&S, you will have to wait for the breakdowns and names of other stages of which I've no idea yet.

20881813_10159123251400514_3366786670083719226_n.jpg?oh=fbd6f5d63832f1a17abd66062653612e&oe=5A190E33

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Poorside wrote: »

I think I will need their service on Tuesday.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Bsal wrote: »

Listening to this at work. If Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra do something like this it will be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

bac18 wrote: »
    Gutted to be missing it this year. Will be buying tix as soon as they go on sale

Plenty of tickets going on toutless.ie for this year...

Plenty of tickets going on toutless.ie for this year...

I put this down to the sh1tty August weather we've been getting too, it doesn't look like we are gonna get that traditional September heat wave this year, here's hoping we do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Any body have the what3words app?

Think it would be a great job for marking certain areas and finding them later when ur steamed up, can't seem to find a way to save pin locations though?

https://what3words.com/products/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I put this down to the sh1tty August weather we've been getting too, it doesn't look like we are gonna get that traditional September heat wave this year, here's hoping we do though.

I think there's just a lot of early bird buyers remorse and general meh attitude out there towards the lineup - I'm going with the smallest group in years after loads pulled out following the 2nd main announcement.

Can't see it selling out as fast next year, I think I'll wait for an announcement before deciding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

The weather is a factor but I put it mainly down to the lack of quality headliners.

Most people I know who usually go but aren't going this year just aren't bothered because none of the headliners interest them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Any good booze deals going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

IMHO the 3 headliners are not headliner material, all due respect to them.

That said, I don't go to see the headline acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

alastair wrote: »
    ?

The Strypes - listed on initial Jerry Fish line-up, then pulled and announced in final main acts. Clearly they're back in Jerry Fish on Sunday.
    ...was just gonna sat, it is usually the Strypes, isn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Over 800 now for sale on donedeal.. And I would definitely put it down to the announcements, not the weather, weather doesn't make a difference to most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Over 800 now for sale on donedeal.. And I would definitely put it down to the announcements, not the weather, weather doesn't make a difference to most

Absolutely. I don't care about the headliners except it can be a good spot for a large group to meet up for a well known act at the end of a day. This year it ain't gonna happen.

Advertisement