Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Deeluu wrote: »
    Dunnes have Craft Beer cans on '4for€10' at the moment, for the connoisseurs among us.
    Fransiscan Well, BrewDog, and White Hag.

Decent haul that! The White Hag Puca is my go to at the moment. Delightful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Can you remember where the route was blocked off? I was thinking of going kildangan - vicarstown - stradbally to try avoid long delays

Definitely Junction 15 off the M7 was blocked (the one for Vicarstown). I think the road was also blocked at Vicarstown to prevent the route you were thinking of, but I can't be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Dunnes have Craft Beer cans on '4for€10' at the moment, for the connoisseurs among us.

Picked up one of these for €15 on my last trip home to Belfast, insane value wish I had got a few more for picnic

BEjbt5Q.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

room_149 wrote: »
    New War on Drugs, Queens of the Stone age LPs out today
    Would have been nice to have seen either of them on the main stage..
    The former definitely. Not a fan of the latter but a hard rocking band would have been welcome on the main stage.

maximoose wrote: »

Picked up one of these for €15 on my last trip home to Belfast, insane value wish I had got a few more for picnic

BEjbt5Q.jpg?1
    Ah yes. Love that. Thanks for the inspiration. Off to the shops shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Kepler21 wrote: »
    Definitely Junction 15 off the M7 was blocked (the one for Vicarstown). I think the road was also blocked at Vicarstown to prevent the route you were thinking of, but I can't be certain.

As far as I can remember it was closed off after Vicarstown, just before Stradbally and cars were made to turn right to join the other traffic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Kepler21 wrote: »

We were lucky to be able to get down the route to Vicarstown since my friend who picked me up actually lives in Vicarstown so the guard allowed us to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

room_149 wrote: »
    All 330ml tins?

Yep - they're small but mighty. Easier to smuggle into the arena too!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Lzmunky

jobless wrote: »
    thanks....any directions whats the best way to get there from dublin

Afraid not, coming from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Yep - they're small but mighty. Easier to smuggle into the arena too!

Touché!
    I should have had the smarts to smuggle 330ml tins instead of the normal sized ones when I went 'Gen pop' to the picnic

• Advertisement

For what it's worth my EP acts:

Essential

Michael Kiwanuka
    Father John Misty
    Floating Points
    The Pretenders
    Trouble Pilgrims
    Duran Duran
    Mr. Jukes
    The Skatalites
    Jagwar Ma
    These Charming Men
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Chaka Khan
    Interpol
    Lemon Twigs
    Goat Girl
    Perfume Genius

Other options
    Touts, Fangclub, Madness, Parquet Courts, Kiasmos, Mylo, The Pale, Phoenix, Pete Tong, Frank & Walters, DJ Yoda, Ralph Rolle, Le Boom, Real Estate, Public Service Broadcasting, Young Fathers, Vince Staples, ertc.

As others have said there's no shortage of decent acts and thanks to the posters who've led me to many of the acts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Effects wrote: »
    As far as I can remember it was closed off after Vicarstown, just before Stradbally and cars were made to turn right to join the other traffic.

Yeah it was. It brought you the route of the tour de picnic, but still brought you close to the Green Car park which is perfect for Pink Moon camping. Traffic was backed up a good bit but didn't take too long to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mani82

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Just got a spot on the waiting list for Pink Moon. Going to be my first year doing it fancy. Folks here think it's worth it?

So I'm a bit late to the party but been following this for a while.
    Been going to EP since 09 and stayed in pink moon since 10. Its definitely worth it in my opinion for folk of a certain age. €100 odd for the pleasure of having tent ready for you all organised with plenty of space around it for sitting out on the camp chairs for having the chats and some drinks. Once you go pink moon, you dont go back. There can be a bit of a delay getting in initially to get the wristbands depending on when you arrive. try to get there before lunchtime to avoid this.
    Also a big bonus if having the entrance directly into the main area next to electric arena-it literally takes 2 mins.. and you can bring in your own tent beer if you pour it into a plastic cup. easy to run back to tent to grab another if you are nearby then. This entrance does close sometime around midnight i think

Which way do you have to approach to get into the GREEN car park? I'm in Pink Moon camping so want to be close. Cheers

Whether you get into green or red car park, be sure to walk down the road and go in the paintball entrance. Its about 5\10 mins walk on the road from red car park but paintball entrance is 2 mins from pink moon entrance. You will be saved walking through the other campsites etc and get straight in to pink moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

mani82 wrote: »
    Whether you get into green or red car park, be sure to walk down the road and go in the paintball entrance. Its about 5\10 mins walk on the road from red car park but paintball entrance is 2 mins from pink moon entrance. You will be saved walking through the other campsites etc and get straight in to pink moon.

Is there is wristband exchange at the paintball entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Just got a spot on the waiting list for Pink Moon. Going to be my first year doing it fancy. Folks here think it's worth it?

Yes yes yes yes yes.
    But that's just me.

Trying to trample over tents and people falling all over them p*ssing everywhere etc. Walked in Hendrix last year and despite paying money that is far too much for essentially renting a tent, the space, noise, ease to get to arena - just everything was 100% worth while I was there.

Is there is wristband exchange at the paintball entrance?

Yes you can get wristbands there

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rizzle_g

Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm going to EP this year with two of my sisters and neither have been before. I'm in my mid 20s and my sisters are in their 30s and 40s. For obvious reasons we won't be camping in Hendrix but I've only ever camped there so have no experience of the other campsites. I'm leaning towards Joplin or Chaplin but I was wondering how long a walk they are from the main arena? I like to pop back to the tent during the day for a few cans which is why I normally stay in Hendrix. I thought Oscar Wilde might be best of both worlds as it is quieter than Hendrix but close to the arena but I've heard it can be dodgy as well? Any advice/opinions would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

rizzle_g wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm going to EP this year with two of my sisters and neither have been before. I'm in my mid 20s and my sisters are in their 30s and 40s. For obvious reasons we won't be camping in Hendrix but I've only ever camped there so have no experience of the other campsites. I'm leaning towards Joplin or Chaplin but I was wondering how long a walk they are from the main arena? I like to pop back to the tent during the day for a few cans which is why I normally stay in Hendrix. I thought Oscar Wilde might be best of both worlds as it is quieter than Hendrix but close to the arena but I've heard it can be dodgy as well? Any advice/opinions would be appreciated!
    Wilde isn't much better than Hendrix these days, very cramped.

Joplin and Chaplin are an extra few minutes walk from Hendrix. if you're going back for a few cans then I don't think 10mins total added to the round trip is much really for a bit of quiet and space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

rizzle_g wrote: »

It isn't quieter. I have only ever walked through there and haven't camped there, but I don't get the impression that is in any way quiet.

Your best bet is Joplin I would say. It is an extra 5-7 minutes in both directions in and out of the main arena, but if you are looking for chilled laid back atmosphere with no messy sh1t, that is where you will find it.

• Advertisement

Did anyone go to the Groove Festival in Bray last weekend, I notice there was also a Groove festival in Scotland the same weekend although the Scottish event was a one dayer in the former RockNess festival site. I wonder if they were connected, the Irish one was 19th and 20th August and the Scottish one 19th. Primal Scream and UB40 headlined the Irish one whilst Faithless (DJ set), Skream, Patrick Topping and Theo Kottis headlined the Scots one among others. I could have started a new thread but seeing as everyone here is festival nuts I'd though I'd just mention it anyway.

Won 2 x tickets and went last weekend. Was alright. Tons of kids and yummy mummys bringing said kids but really just wanting to go on the wine.

Night time was a bit better. Nice little set up though, weather was decent Saturday, only went for the last few hours of sunday as it was lashing.

Plus Boojum had a stand there ;)

God, was off in Belfast (Vital) for 2 days and trying to catch up on this thread has been affecting my work all day ;)

My top 3 (atm)
    Public Service Broadcasting
    Parquet Courts
    Real Estate

Parquet Courts and Real Estate for me too.

Along with:
    London Grammar
    Everything Everything
    Mr Jukes
    Frank & Walters
    Margaret Glaspy
    All Tvvins (were great on B&S main stage Friday night last year)

Maybe:
    The xx
    Phoenix
    Touts
    Interpol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

How does the Eco Campsite compare to the main campsites? I'm hoping it's quieter and not as cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

nc6000 wrote: »
    How does the Eco Campsite compare to the main campsites? I'm hoping it's quieter and not as cramped.

It is quieter and less cramped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Have been listening to my own (enormous) EP 2017 playlist in work all day and I am only adding to my "want to see" list ... I can't remember the last time I had so many acts that I want to see at a festival. Its a nice problem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

kg703 wrote: »
    Yes yes yes yes yes.
    But that's just me.

Trying to trample over tents and people falling all over them p*ssing everywhere etc. Walked in Hendrix last year and despite paying money that is far too much for essentially renting a tent, the space, noise, ease to get to arena - just everything was 100% worth while I was there.

Everytime i walk through Hendrix to go to the rave in the woods, i just thank my lucky stars im staying in Pink Moon :D

That place (Hendrix) is just mental!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

It is quieter and less cramped

Yeah it's usually quieter and much less cramped although they seem to be trying to double the numbers this year on the same amount of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

mani82 wrote: »
    So I'm a bit late to the party but been following this for a while.
    Been going to EP since 09 and stayed in pink moon since 10. Its definitely worth it in my opinion for folk of a certain age. €100 odd for the pleasure of having tent ready for you all organised with plenty of space around it for sitting out on the camp chairs for having the chats and some drinks. Once you go pink moon, you dont go back. There can be a bit of a delay getting in initially to get the wristbands depending on when you arrive. try to get there before lunchtime to avoid this.
    Also a big bonus if having the entrance directly into the main area next to electric arena-it literally takes 2 mins.. and you can bring in your own tent beer if you pour it into a plastic cup. easy to run back to tent to grab another if you are nearby then. This entrance does close sometime around midnight i think

You sure about that? I am almost certain they took stuff off us last year - possibly unsealed water bottles?

andreac wrote: »
    Everytime i walk through Hendrix to go to the rave in the woods, i just thank my lucky stars im staying in Pink Moon :D

That place (Hendrix) is just mental!!

I went over to visit some mates and they were telling us we were missing out on this experience and the craic in the campsite etc etc.

All this as I watched some 18 year old run and jump headfirst into a big tent/gazebo thing, took the whole thing down as well as two other tents around him while all his mates chanted.

Place looked like a warzone. Gave up on regular camping at festivals in 2014 and never again.

• Advertisement

whelzer wrote: »
    You sure about that? I am almost certain they took stuff off us last year - possibly unsealed water bottles?

Stayed in PM last year and the security even gave us the plastic cups to pour our beer into.

Was no bother

Advertisement