Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Jarre never my thing growing up, but I heard great reports from Bluedot & the recent tour.

No apologies for All Saints. Never Ever & Pure Shores amongst the best pop songs of the last two decades. I'll put my helmet on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Jarre never my thing growing up, but I heard great reports from Bluedot & the recent tour.

No apologies for All Saints. Never Ever & Pure Shores amongst the best pop songs of the last two decades. I'll put my helmet on now.

Knock yourself out on the All Saints man but come on, it's like comparing Kraftwerk to Kylie Minogue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I realise it's for another thread but I'm gutted to not get tickets for Glasto next year if the (solid) rumours about headliners are true. Daft Punk, Stone Roses & Radiohead (as efestivals tip to play) is one hell of a top billing. Add to that Kraftwerk, Diana Ross, Bon Iver and the usual strong acts and it's a bad one to miss. Congrats to anyone here who got tickets.

Anyway, I reckon we'll get one of the big three at EP, probably one of the guitar acts. Bon Iver, Warpaint, The XX also who are all heavily rumoured for Coachella and are likely to be on the circuit. And on a cheesier level what about Jean-Michel Jarre (who did the small Bluedot fest this Summer and may do some next year) and All Saints (not for everyone, but three four great tracks and I'd welcome them)? And more possible acts not mentioned here thus far? We need to kick some life into this thread.

'Pure Shores' is a cracking tune.

I think with the recent announcement of their comeback tour, the XX have to be a shoo-in for an Irish festival appearance next year. Unless Longitude snags them before EP, I'd fully expect them to top the bill at Stradbally.

I'm hoping Bon Iver does a standalone show myself. Was disappointed to see nothing in Ireland as part of his Euro shows in February, and didn't manage to get tickets to any of the others either so I'll hold out hope...

When Future Islands played EP, they were on their second European tour so might have been a bit cheaper to book. If they follow that pattern again, we might get a few acts that people (me) were banking on this year, like Courtney Barnett, M83, etc too.

Knock yourself out on the All Saints man but come on, it's like comparing Kraftwerk to Kylie Minogue!
    We're very unlikely to get Daft Punk, so why not one of their main influences? He'd put on a decent show, a solid Friday night start to EP. Personally I'd prefer it to seeing Underworld, Chemicals, Orbital, Basement Jaxx, Groove Armada & Massive Attack who've all had at least two trips to Stradbally.

I'd love to see JM Jarre at EP, i'm just objecting to the 'cheesy' moniker :cool:

Depeche Mode announcing details of their new tour at the moment, although they tend to not do too many festivals?

London & Amsterdam on the list so far.

EDIT: Looks like no Irish date with only 1 UK date in London. I think they might be playing Nos Alive though.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see JM Jarre at EP, i'm just objecting to the 'cheesy' moniker :cool:

Depeche Mode announcing details of their new tour at the moment, although they tend to not do too many festivals?

London & Amsterdam on the list so far.
    Ah, sorry Arne. I didn't pick up on that. I think the best of his stuff is great, but there's a fair bit of insubstantial material and cheese is the wrong term. Consider it withdrawn.

And DM don't tend to do many fests as you say. I've heard that they've turned down Glasto several times. Whether true or not it'd be odd for them never to be asked. Maybe it's a money thing when they still sell out stadiums all over the planet. Maybe a sound issue and they don't trust fests. Either way they're probably out of the financial reach of EP.

Ah, sorry Arne. I didn't pick up on that. I think the best of his stuff is great, but there's a fair bit of insubstantial material and cheese is the wrong term. Consider it withdrawn.

And DM don't tend to do fests as you say. I've heard that they've turned down Glasto several times. Whether true or not it'd be odd for them never to be asked. Maybe it's a money thing when they still sell out stadiums all over the planet. Maybe a sound issue and they don't trust fests. Either way they're probably out of the financial reach of EP.

They seem to be doing Nos Alive & Bilbao BBK if twitter is to be believed, but festivals in that part of the world tend to splash out more on headliners than EP would ever do.

I think Stone Roses have to be heavy favourites for a slot at EP at this stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Depeche Mode's full upcoming 2017 tour dates are below - with tickets on sale from 9am on Friday 14 October.

May 5 Stockholm, Sweden Friends Arena
    May 7 Amsterdam, Netherlands Ziggo Dome
    May 9 Antwerp, Belgium Sportpaleis
    May 12 Nice, France Stade Charles-Ehrmann
    May 14 Ljubljana, Slovenia Dvorana Stožice
    May 17 Athens, Greece Terra Vibe Park
    May 20 Bratislava, Slovakia Štadión Pasienky
    May 22 Budapest, Hungary Groupama Aréna
    May 24 Prague, Czech Republic Eden Aréna
    May 27 Leipzig, Germany Festwiese
    May 29 Lille, France Stade Pierre-Mauroy
    May 31 Copenhagen, Denmark Telia Parken
    June 3 London, United Kingdom London Stadium
    June 5 Cologne, Germany RheinEnergieStadion
    June 9 Munich, Germany Olympiastadion
    June 11 Hannover, Germany HDI Arena
    June 18 Zurich, Switzerland Letzigrund Stadion
    June 20 Frankfurt, Germany Commerzbank-Arena
    June 22 Berlin, Germany Olympiastadion
    June 25 Rome, Italy Stadio Olimpico
    June 27 Milan, Italy Stadio San Siro
    June 29 Bologna, Italy Stadio Rentao Dall’Ara
    July 1 Paris, France Stade de France
    July 4 Gelsenkirchen, Germany Veltins-Arena
    July 6 Bilbao, Spain BBK Live Festival
    July 8 Lisbon, Portugal NOS Alive Festival
    July 13 St. Petersburg, Russia SKK
    July 15 Moscow, Russia Otkritie Arena
    July 17 Minsk, Belarus Minsk-Arena
    July 19 Kiev, Ukraine Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex
    July 21 Warsaw, Poland PGE Narodowy
    July 23 Cluj-Napoca, Romania Cluj Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Depeche Mode would be fantastic, back in 2013 they did do a good few summer festival tours, but availability is the big question. Be one hell of a coup for the organisers and laying down a serious marker for the festival!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

good god yes they would be a hell of a coup, would be shocked if it happened but quite delighted if it did, their songs of faith and devotion gig in the point was one of the most excellent shows i have ever seen (Br. Gahan being totally out of his gourd on anything he could get his hands on at the time probably contributed to it)

Come with me
    Into the trees
    We'll lay on the grass
    And let the hours pass…

edit, from checking their tour dates, they've most of europe well covered by end of July, they could be heading for the states before or after the dates listed, i'd suspect it's after so I'd reckon it's a very very outside shot of them being there. Starting to pin hopes on the R-word band instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Wouldn't be hugey thrilled to see the XX added! Their music in my view doesn't translate well live, it's way too intense, no release, its like riding all night without orgasm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Wouldn't be hugey thrilled to see the XX added! Their music in my view doesn't translate well live, it's way too intense, no release, its like riding all night without orgasm!!

I thought they had an OK vibe in 2012 on the main stage but are they not releasing a new record, it could be quite different from the previous stuff.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thanked this post because of the comparison rather than because I agree with it :pac: I like the XX but not sure if they would be my dream EP headliner, would probably rather see them at Longitude to be honest. Even though they are an act I would definitely go and see I feel as if they could be underwhelming at picnic for some reason, I can't imagine them being one of those gigs you walk away from thinking wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Thanked this post because of the comparison rather than because I agree with it :pac: I like the XX but not sure if they would be my dream EP headliner, would probably rather see them at Longitude to be honest. Even though they are an act I would definitely go and see I feel as if they could be underwhelming at picnic for some reason, I can't imagine them being one of those gigs you walk away from thinking wow.

Thank you, you summed up what I was thinking. :D

Dont even know why I'm following this thread cos not going to EP next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Thank you, you summed up what I was thinking. :D

Dont even know why I'm following this thread cos not going to EP next year.

the joys of vicarious hope and despair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Seen this yesterday on the Mirror'a twitter account.

'Mr Desmond also confirmed that 50% or around 25,000 tickets for next year’s Electric Picnic have already been sold – even thought no acts have been named or even booked as yet.'

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/mcd-chief-denis-desmond-says-9024355

No acts announced and already 50% of the tickets sold. I'm glad I got my ticket even earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Good to see the festival doing well, but an early sell out does not help the fans. Without revisiting the whole R_ _ I _ H _ A D fiasco from this year, i'd like them to have to earn their money a bit more.

Allowing for a decent bump at Christmas, these tickets will sell out in the days immediately after the first announcement, if they last that long.

Only just noticed that the dates to pay by installments are 16th Octber - 1st November - 1st December.

So all installment & Early Bird cash in the bank by the start of December & full-whack prices for Christmas :eek:

Superb analogy tbf...

The xx are very good live - indoors. I feel the same about Jamie xx. It gets a little lost on a big stage. Some bands are just suited to indoor venues (not necessarily, small, intimate ones either) than big outdoor arenas.

I'd definitely take a look at the xx if they were on the main stage, but I'd be hoping for someone else to follow them.

EDIT: Actually, though, I had the same fears about Portishead and they were great on the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the XX played the main stage at EP a few years ago and were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

on first view i thought the 2016 line-up was one of the worst ever last year but had my best picnic! so won't get
    too caught up in this again this year!
    only thing missing for me was a big headliner more to my taste - Outkast was the best headliner ive seen.
    In general i stay away from the main stage now i prefer the atmosphere in tents!

showpony1 wrote: »
    on first view i thought the 2016 line-up was one of the worst ever last year but had my best picnic! so won't get
    too caught up in this again this year!
    only thing missing for me was a big headliner more to my taste - Outkast was the best headliner ive seen.
    In general i stay away from the main stage now i prefer the atmosphere in tents!

It's funny how people can have entirely different perceptions/experiences at the same bands, isn't it?
    I thought Outkast was f*cking awful.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Good to see the festival doing well, but an early sell out does not help the fans. Without revisiting the whole R_ _ I _ H _ A D fiasco from this year, i'd like them to have to earn their money a bit more.

Allowing for a decent bump at Christmas, these tickets will sell out in the days immediately after the first announcement, if they last that long.

This might sound odd but, I would prefer to see the festival struggling at this stage, for the simple reason that it might force them to improve the line up offering from 2016.

With these early high sales I can imagine something like "See, we don't need to spend more on the line up, the sheep will come anyway. Call Kodaline, tell them they are not needed."

It's funny how people can have entirely different perceptions/experiences at the same bands, isn't it?

Agree. Total sh1te I thought. Lots of people really liked them though.

/shrugs

Really liking this new Phantogram album. Would be a perfect band for EP.

No Irish dates on their upcoming European tour typically... :(

yeah more into hip-hop or more current acts i suppose, not to say Outkast was the best act ive seen overall at it but just best "headliner" as in late on main stage for my type of taste. like i wouldn't be into Portishead, Beck etc etc I would be off at the tents then. each to their own!

showpony1 wrote: »
    yeah more into hip-hop or more current acts i suppose, not to say Outkast was the best act ive seen overall at it but just best "headliner" as in late on main stage for my type of taste. like i wouldn't be into Portishead, Beck etc etc I would be off at the tents then. each to their own!

Thing is, I'm a big hip-hop fan, I just thought they were rubbish!
    My highlight of that year was Young Fathers, so much energy and excitement - Outkast may as well have been cashing their cheque on the stage they were so dull IMO.
    Always hoped EP would get more hip-hop acts throughout the bill as the years go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

good god yes they would be a hell of a coup, would be shocked if it happened but quite delighted if it did, their songs of faith and devotion gig in the point was one of the most excellent shows i have ever seen (Br. Gahan being totally out of his gourd on anything he could get his hands on at the time probably contributed to it)

Come with me
    Into the trees
    We'll lay on the grass
    And let the hours pass…

edit, from checking their tour dates, they've most of europe well covered by end of July, they could be heading for the states before or after the dates listed, i'd suspect it's after so I'd reckon it's a very very outside shot of them being there. Starting to pin hopes on the R-word band instead.

Yeah be fantastic if Thom and the boys made an appearance. With Depeche Mode, the last time I saw them live was back in 2009 at the "Tour of The Universe" in The Point, amazing gig, great overall show as I caught Soulsavers who were playing support, Mark Lanegan was on vocals, actually come to think of it lets throw Mark Lanegan in the mix as well, he'd be perfect for EP as well, bang out a few classisc from his "Screaming Trees" day's.......:D

Thing is, I'm a big hip-hop fan, I just thought they were rubbish!
    My highlight of that year was Young Fathers, so much energy and excitement - Outkast may as well have been cashing their cheque on the stage they were so dull IMO.
    Always hoped EP would get more hip-hop acts throughout the bill as the years go by.

Flume i think was the best overall that year for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yeah be fantastic if Thom and the boys made an appearance. With Depeche Mode, the last time I saw them live was back in 2009 at the "Tour of The Universe" in The Point, amazing gig, great overall show as I caught Soulsavers who were playing support, Mark Lanegan was on vocals, actually come to think of it lets throw Mark Lanegan in the mix as well, he'd be perfect for EP as well, bang out a few classisc from his "Screaming Trees" day's.......:D

He played 3 or 4 years ago and was savage!

Advertisement