Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

One way of feeding the hype machine ahead of next week is memories of times old and plenty of people on here with a long history @ the festival so....

What's yr favorite gig seen in Stradbally?

Mine is David Byrne & St Vincent (2013?) no questions asked - the only festival gig that I'd put in my all time best shows list.

This video actually does capture some of the magic I think - notice the total absence of anyone chatting for instance.... I was about halfway between this guy and the stage

I have had some serious highlights in past editions of EP, David Byrne and St Vincent is in there along with Fever Ray, Kraftwerk, Iggy Pop & the Stooges, George Clinton's Pfunk, Chic in 2014. The winner though is Portishead, they just fcuking blew me away.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Portishead were totally f€&kin' awesome alright. Good call. Still not my No. 1 tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

For me it's either Kraftwerk alllllll the way back in 2005, or The War on Drugs from 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

MJohnston wrote: »
    I made a printable packing checklist and campsite guide, it's too big to post directly here, but you can get full size here

i ****ing love the layout on that

(but, it's shorts or nathin, chinos? you posh bastard!)

Snarky Snark Snark

Portishead were totally f€&kin' awesome alright. Good call. Still not my No. 1 tho!

ah they were for me, t'was as close to a religious experience as i'll ever get (2nd rans were David Byrne with St. Vincent)

• Advertisement

i ****ing love the layout on that

(but, it's shorts or nathin!)

Cheers, I was trying to think of other things to add to it, but could only think of a giant "you can't guarantee getting into the Green Car park" message.

Snarky Snark Snark

Cheers, I was trying to think of other things to add to it, but could only think of a giant "you can't guarantee getting into the Green Car park" message.

the colour coding is lovely, really nice ux.

Are chinos posh? :D I thought they were more of a less embarrassing relative of the cargo trouser. I have a couple pairs from River Island that are comfy as anything, which is why I always have them on the go for festival weekends. When you see someone in jeans, you know they've gone for style over comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I made a printable packing checklist and campsite guide, it's too big to post directly here, but you can get full size here

Ut5DD4m.png

This is brilliant! Thank you!

Snarky Snark Snark

Don't add, simple is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,730 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One thing missing. A pair of wollen gloves - holding cold cans or pints in the wee hours when it's freezing out isn't nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

The forecast keeps getting better with each passing day. Looks like sunnies and factor for the weekend 🌞 Beer taste so much better in the sunshine 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

My favourite gig has to be Underworld in the Electric Arena in 2008. Place was packed, condensation dripping from the roof and the place going ****ing mental for what seemed like hours but was probably only an hour. I had the time of life that night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgVlSJo8dUE

Honourable mention to Laurent Garnier also when he dropped Crispy Bacon it was something else

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

One way of feeding the hype machine ahead of next week is memories of times old and plenty of people on here with a long history @ the festival so....

Mine is David Byrne & St Vincent (2013?) no questions asked - the only festival gig that I'd put in my all time best shows list.

This video actually does capture some of the magic I think - notice the total absence of anyone chatting for instance.... I was about halfway between this guy and the stage

Best experience I've ever had at ep was
    Erasure closely followed by the beastie boys. Erasure finished, went to the toilet,hot a pint and back into an already packed tent . Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Any major acts (bar The XX, Mylo, Jenny Greene, etc) that we're sure are playing on Friday evening? Saturday & Sunday are looking pretty solid and even very clash heavy (the potential of Father John Misty v Duran Duran worries me) but Friday could be very sparse.

Please reassure me good people of Boards.ie.
    guy on another forum says that Father John Misty is on 21:15-22:15 (he knows someone playing with him) , so shouldn't clash with Duran Duran.

I presume FJM will be in the Electric Arena at that time, and clash with Elbow on the main stage.

If right that's great news. Main stage headliner starts a bit earlier on Sun I think so I'd miss a bit of Duran but not a direct clash. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    If right that's great news. Main stage headliner starts a bit earlier on Sun I think so I'd miss a bit of Duran but not a direct clash. Thanks for the info.
    of the 6 headliners in the last 2 years, only Blur got more than 90mins, and on Sundays all finish by midnight, so I reckon Duran Duran will probably be 22:30-00:00, so you should have time for a sneaky pint before them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Many EP gigs in my fave of all time. Portishead, David Byrne/St. Vincent, John Grant, Kraftwerk, Public Enemy, Nick Cave, LCD each time, Mercury Rev & Matthew E White were all superb. But three stand out above all others -

Arcade Fire 2005
    My Bloody Valentine 2008
    The Cure 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dusters

I agree! I was one of the photographers in the pit for this one and it was truly magical! I met him by chance while he was waiting for his bus after the set and I got to say 'thank you', he was a pure gent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cocojumbo

Hi anyone recommend a stage area for when you need to chill out for a while in between the chaos 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Cocojumbo wrote: »
    Hi anyone recommend a stage area for when you need to chill out for a while in between the chaos 😬
    Lots of lovely little alternatives. My lovely ranch is a really chilled, friendly spot, bales of hay and the like. Trailer Park brilliant too and as mentioned, Body and Soul always laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Lots of lovely little alternatives. My lovely ranch is a really chilled, friendly spot, bales of hay and the like. Trailer Park brilliant too and as mentioned, Body and Soul always laid back.

mindfield is a good spot to spend an hour away from most of the madness.

Cocojumbo wrote: »

Not a stage, but Tiny Tea Tent is my favourite sanctuary. The Peace Pagoda is doing ambient stuff some of the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Surprised by the amount of consensus about bands to see and past highlights. I'd agree with most, other past highlights for me would also include Explosions in the Sky (1st time), Benjamin Clementine, Paul Buchanan (blue Nile) body and soul, the National main stage, Jap All-stars little big tent, crystal castles main stage.

I'd agree with whoever mentioned Jazz (or Soul, preferably Northern). Given diversity of stages you think there might be room for a racous new Orleans jazz type tent or some Northern Soul djs.

Thanks to whoever recommend Dr Jake's, great album and on my to see list.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Surprised by the amount of consensus about bands to see and past highlights. I'd agree with most, other past highlights for me would also include Explosions in the Sky (1st time), Benjamin Clementine, Paul Buchanan (blue Nile) body and soul, the National main stage, Jap All-stars little big tent, crystal castles main stage.

I'd agree with whoever mentioned Jazz (or Soul, preferably Northern). Given diversity of stages you think there might be room for a racous new Orleans jazz type tent or some Northern Soul djs.

Thanks to whoever recommend Dr Jake's, great album and on my to see list.

P

I'm not in to 'classical' music but diversity is good:

OTC Opera Hub are playing the hazel wood stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

:( First clash of the weekend, Galway street club at 8 in Trailer Park, Interference in jerry fish at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

jonny_b wrote: »
    Sorry lads/Ladies has anyone got the link to the gig clasher app that someone made here? On iPhone and can't seem to search the forum for it? Sorry again...

someone = me;

Will be tuesday or wednesday before those apps are available. will be posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

I know it's only new this year but has anyone any info on anything happening on the Thursday night for early entry ticket holders?

haitens wrote: »
    I know it's only new this year but has anyone any info on anything happening on the Thursday night for early entry ticket holders?

There won't be anything, maybe some of the food vendors will be open if you're lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A friend wrote to EP on facebook and they said that only certain campsites will be open on the Thursday night, so if you have a particular campsite chosen you might not be able to camp there on the Thursday night.

Advertisement