Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

makes sense, cheaper to only have 2 open and only have to do security there and clean toilets etc.
    presume it'll be Hendrix and Warhol, or maybe Hendrix and Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

MJohnston wrote: »
    I made a printable packing checklist and campsite guide, it's too big to post directly here, but you can get full size here

Ut5DD4m.png
    I always have a warm pair of tights on, me, Matthew!
    ;)
    Great list & thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Group of girls heading up from the west on Friday morning What's Andy Warhol campsite like? Looking for nothing too crazy if possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Poorside wrote: »
    :( First clash of the weekend, Galway street club at 8 in Trailer Park, Interference in jerry fish at same time.

They're playing mindfield at 11 on Saturday as well though, surely more clashes then too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So I'm charging my toothbrush, Ipod, Speaker, phones, cameras and re-charger chargers :D. Doing my last laundry, digging out the rucksack, inflatable mattress. Its starting lads and lassies. :):):)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

So I'm charging my toothbrush, Ipod, Speaker, phones, cameras and re-charger chargers :D. Doing my last laundry, digging out the rucksack, inflatable mattress. Its starting lads and lassies. :):):)
    Whoop whoop, can you get pics of the Salty dog please

Poorside wrote: »
    Whoop whoop, can you get pics of the Salty dog please

Will try my best, it depends where we will get posted for work, but I've been in touch with someone from Gigs and Events forum by pm and will send on snaps to them of some of the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Will try my best, it depends where we will get posted for work, but I've been in touch with someone from Gigs and Events forum by pm and will send on snaps to them of some of the build.

Wait. Are you volunteering all week??

Some more enduring memories of Picnics past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Having only been privy to the song 'progress' before they were announced, Public Service Broadcasting have now become one of my must sees!

What with the buzz about them on here alone, will the Body & Soul stage be able to take the crowd do folk reckon??

This week really can't go quick enough!

• Advertisement

Wait. Are you volunteering all week??

Yeah I go down on Sunday evening and do four six hour shifts from Monday to Thursday and then I'm a free wristbanded man to enjoy the festival till Monday. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Having only been privy to the song 'progress' before they were announced, Public Service Broadcasting have now become one of my must sees!

What with the buzz about them on here alone, will the Body & Soul stage be able to take the crowd do folk reckon??

This week really can't go quick enough!

I've seen PSB in the Button Factory, and enjoyed the gig, but I'll probably avoid them at EP for the very reason you imply - I reckon it'll be swamped. Could be wrong, and it's dependent on clashes, but I'm expecting to be elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Surprised by the amount of consensus about bands to see and past highlights. I'd agree with most, other past highlights for me would also include Explosions in the Sky (1st time), Benjamin Clementine, Paul Buchanan (blue Nile) body and soul, the National main stage, Jap All-stars little big tent, crystal castles main stage.

I'd agree with whoever mentioned Jazz (or Soul, preferably Northern). Given diversity of stages you think there might be room for a racous new Orleans jazz type tent or some Northern Soul djs.

Thanks to whoever recommend Dr Jake's, great album and on my to see list.

P
    Clementine, Buchanan & National all superb. Last particularly as it was kinda stormy and the atmosphere suited the material.

Blue Nile in 2006 also great. Sunday main stage circa 3pm. Fab set but wrong time & wrong stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

A friend wrote to EP on facebook and they said that only certain campsites will be open on the Thursday night, so if you have a particular campsite chosen you might not be able to camp there on the Thursday night.

Oh that changes everything for me if Joplin isn't open on Thurday:(

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Anyone know what day Paul Kelly will be playing, love his new album, looking forward to seeing him..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

Anyone got any clue what the Humans of the Sesh performance will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Got this in Argos today based on an earlier post by someone on here. Insulated cooler bag 16.99

Cold Capt. Morgan all weekend I hope.

Cheers to whoever posted it originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Surprised by the amount of consensus about bands to see and past highlights. I'd agree with most, other past highlights for me would also include Explosions in the Sky (1st time), Benjamin Clementine, Paul Buchanan (blue Nile) body and soul, the National main stage, Jap All-stars little big tent, crystal castles main stage.

I'd agree with whoever mentioned Jazz (or Soul, preferably Northern). Given diversity of stages you think there might be room for a racous new Orleans jazz type tent or some Northern Soul djs.

Thanks to whoever recommend Dr Jake's, great album and on my to see list.

P
    Benjamin Clementine was brilliant alright. Portishead, the Cure, David Byrne and Annie all on my list too, with a shout out to Eels on the main stage 3 years ago (?). They were great craic. Big regret was missing Arcade Fire in 2005. My brother still talks about it in hushed tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

thebusher wrote: »
    Kasabian rockin Reading here.

Thought at one stage we might have got them. Shame.

Not really

What about missed gigs? My biggest regrets -

Chic in the Electric Arena 2009 - pals loved it, shouldn't have opted for Madness. Chic were great in 2014 but I reckon the EA show was the one to be at.

Beastie Boys (twice) 2007 - no idea why i missed the Crawdaddy gig on the Sunday, but they clashed with the Jesus & Mary Chain comeback on Sat night. Maybe a big mistake, especially not to get there for the last 30 mins, and I'm going to be reminded about this forever by regular posts here.

Sonic Youth in 2007 also - did they do Daydream Nation or is my memory playing tricks?

And btw for great gigs can I add in Grandaddy in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

thebusher wrote: »
    Got this in Argos today based on an earlier post by someone on here. Insulated cooler bag 16.99

Cold Capt. Morgan all weekend I hope.

Cheers to whoever posted it originally.

Won't last all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

GidCudi wrote: »
    Anyone got any clue what the Humans of the Sesh performance will be?
    Best way to carry a bag of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Chic in the Electric Arena 2009 - pals loved it, shouldn't have opted for Madness. Chic were great in 2014 but I reckon the EA show was the one to be at.

Beastie Boys (twice) 2007 - no idea why i missed the Crawdaddy gig on the Sunday, but they clashed with the Jesus & Mary Chain comeback on Sat night. Maybe a big mistake, especially not to get there for the last 30 mins, and I'm going to be reminded about this forever by regular posts here.

Sonic Youth in 2007 also - did they do Daydream Nation or is my memory playing tricks?

David Byrne and St Vincent, don't know what I was thinking missing that. Biggest highlight has to be Metronomy in 2011, followed closely by Portishead

I thought Madness was great, I wasn't into funk as much back then so gave Chic a miss although I did catch the Sugarhill Gang earlier in the day. The new Madness stuff didn't grab me as much and I couldn't believe they didn't play One Step Beyond, which is one of my favourites.

I thought Madness was great, I wasn't into funk as much back then so gave Chic a miss although I did catch the Sugarhill Gang earlier in the day.  The new Madness stuff didn't grab me as much and I couldn't believe they didn't play One Step Beyond, which is one of my favourites.
    They were great alright, and some pals from Mayo ended up onstage with them for Night Boat To Cairo at the end. Serious envy at not joining them, and not getting onstage with Iggy the year before.

Sugarhill Gang a big miss for me too. Forever annoyed with myself for that.

For those 'craving' some jazz, earlier, I am streaming some FLoating Points at present, & the track Silhouettes is loaded with jazz signatures. A wee bit 1970's jazz in places - can nearly see Starsky & Hutch motifs in my mind - a wee bit Herbie Hancock c. Headhunters era; but none the worse for it! What can I say - 'nice'!
    8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

mgkelly wrote: »
    For those 'craving' some jazz, earlier, I am streaming some FLoating Points at present, & the track Silhouettes is loaded with jazz signatures. A wee bit 1970's jazz in places - can nearly see Starsky & Hutch motifs in my mind - a wee bit Herbie Hancock c. Headhunters era; but none the worse for it! What can I say - 'nice'!
    8-)
    his album was quite jazz-y and he toured it with a band, but he's going to be solo at EP, so it'll be much more dance music-y, which is what he is mostly known for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I just realised Run the Jewels have their brilliant DJ Shadow collaboration in their recent setlists, love this tune (and the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

mgkelly wrote: »
    8-)
    his album was quite jazz-y and he toured it with a band, but he's going to be solo at EP, so it'll be much more dance music-y, which is what he is mostly known for.

I'll take it anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

Am I right in saying there's normally a shop in Wilde that sells camping chairs etc? Thinking of not buying a chair or mat and just picking one up there to lighten the load for the walk.

Advertisement