Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

MJohnston wrote: »
    Not liking how the weather forecast is going at the minute, the charts are showing a huge 20mm downpour over Saturday night into Sunday morning. Friday looks great and Saturday itself is okay up until about 6pm when the rain starts, kicking off big time at around midnight. Sunday should clear up a little bit, but lots of showers.

That's a fairly fecking miserable amount of rain forecast, hopefully it can shift just a little bit better in our favour, maybe the rain moves a bit later to like 4am or something when most people are asleep, and a wee bit further south so that it's a bit lighter too.

Who you using for that forecast?
    YR.NO is looking decent again:

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Stradbally/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not liking how the weather forecast is going at the minute, the charts are showing a huge 20mm downpour over Saturday night into Sunday morning. Friday looks great and Saturday itself is okay up until about 6pm when the rain starts, kicking off big time at around midnight. Sunday should clear up a little bit, but lots of showers.

That's a fairly fecking miserable amount of rain forecast, hopefully it can shift just a little bit better in our favour, maybe the rain moves a bit later to like 4am or something when most people are asleep, and a wee bit further south so that it's a bit lighter too.

Can I ask where you are getting your forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I like this one, I'll take that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm looking directly at the simulation charts here http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess= (pick UK Precipitation from the drop down and then cycle through till about +129)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Fully agree. Why not These Charming Men if Pete Tong & Jenny Greene/RTE Orchestra are doing their own tribute acts. Would love to see TCM, all depends on clashes.

And the Bootleg Beatles have played Glasto twice since 2013, the first time in the Acoustic tent directly clashing with the Stones. They'd go down a storm at EP.

Was half expecting something given the Sgt Peppers 50th anniversary this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Lzmunky

The job is only beginning my friend ;)

I should rephrase. Responsibilities done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

gandalfio wrote: »
    Was half expecting something given the Sgt Peppers 50th anniversary this year

maybe the gospel choir will do it,with a special appearance by macca.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Poorside wrote: »
    maybe the gospel choir will do it,with a special appearance by macca.

:-)
    Louisiana 6 are a skiffle group. Probably the closest we'll get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'm looking directly at the simulation charts here http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess= (pick UK Precipitation from the drop down and then cycle through till about +129)

How accurate are they? Surely it's going to be wednesday or thursday before we've a properly accurate forecase?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

People have asked to list various genres
    Rap - m/c /// Trad /// Jazz /// Techno etc

How about listing the cover bands.
    There are so many new sounds to take in, that sometimes it's nice to be greeted with the familiar!

Roadhouse Doors (the doors)
    These Charming Men (the smiths)
    Harvest (neil young)
    Le Freak (chic, sister sledge, diana ross etc)
    RobotRock (bit of a stretch as they remix daft punk, basement jaxx, chems etc)
    Salty Dog no stars are doing exile on main street as their album this year (rolling stones).

Any others to add to the list?

Clandestinos on the B&S stage on the Sunday are, I think, a Manu Chau/Manu Negra coverband with bits of madness and other stuff thrown in too. Think they play their own stuff as well so not sure if they are a coverband as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

How accurate are they? Surely it's going to be wednesday or thursday before we've a properly accurate forecase?
    the weather sites with cartoon graphics and vague predictions all take their info from those type of charts, so it's as accurate as it's going to get at the moment.
    it's still 6 days away, things can change a lot by then, and the precipitation/rain is harder to predict than most other things

the HGT 500-1000 chart is showing plenty of high pressure around over the weekend, so if that pushes up a bit, we could end up with a lovely dry warm weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

is the wristband exchange open on Thursday in the campervan setion? Cant remember from last year....

Well, the GFS model is one of the major weather models, but it's not quite as good accuracy wise as the ECM model, but the GFS is free and the ECM is licensed, so I'm using it! I think there's a lot of low confidence in forecasts currently due to some disturbances.

To give you an idea of why we can't get accurate forecasts until closer to the date, go here and pick 'Height 500hpa + SLP', which will show you the interactions of all the different pressure systems. Click animate and watch fluid mechanics in action! Really difficult to get right with accuracy when there's so many systems interacting.

Anyway, what will bring us the forecasted rain is two low pressure areas that currently don't even show up in the model until about 24 hours from now, then they bulk up, move across the Atlantic, interact with each other, and with the high pressure that'll be over us by Thursday/Friday, and then they send out some troughs that'll create the rain...basically, there are a huge amount of variables in there, and if any one of them is off even slightly, we might escape with no rain at all, or get even more rain!

By Wednesday, the different models will hopefully start to converge on the truth.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That shows there being at most 2mm at most, not 20mm, in the Laois/Kildare area on the Saturday at 6pm:

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20170828/00/138/ukprec.png

That shows there being at most 2mm at most, not 20mm, in the Laois/Kildare area on the Saturday at 6pm:

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20170828/00/138/ukprec.png

I didn't say the 20mm would happen all at 6pm, I'm talking about 20mm between then and Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eddiegisto

I didn't say the 20mm would happen all at 6pm, I'm talking about 20mm between then and Sunday morning.

So bring the wellies

Oki doke. I can live with that if it's light rain over 10 hours on one of the three days!

Here's a site using the GFS model showing precipitation accumulation figures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I love how everyone becomes a weather expert on EP week! :D

(and procrastination experts) :cool:

_feedback_ wrote: »
    I love how everyone becomes a weather expert on EP week! :D

(and procrastination experts) :cool:

Yes absolutely no work being done in work oops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The Met Service have a really good 5-day forecast. http://met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

As of now, it only goes up to 12pm Saturday, but there's a big bastard of a weather system moving in from the west.

If this doesn't change, it's going to dump a lot of rain Saturday evening/night.

426395.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I remember a boards user made a lightweight app that had all of the stag times last year, it would send a notification a little bit before your selections were playing to your phone.

Anyone remember this? It was much much better than the official app

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I remember a boards user made a lightweight app that had all of the stag times last year, it would send a notification a little bit before your selections were playing to your phone.

Anyone remember this? It was much much better than the official app

It's on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

eddiegisto wrote: »
    So bring the wellies

You would want to be feeling fairly brave to leave your wellies at home in any case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

not liking the sound of things now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The Met Service have a really good 5-day forecast. http://met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

As of now, it only goes up to 12pm Saturday, but there's a big bastard of a weather system moving in from the west.

If this doesn't change, it's going to dump a lot of rain Saturday evening/night.

426395.PNG

Windy.com has that weather system tracked too but it looks to dissipate as it goes over the country. Fingers crossed:

https://www.windy.com/?rain,2017-09-03-12,51.413,-11.162,5

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Peesh89

I'm refusing to believe anything but YR.. If we all just totes visualise amazing weather and send posi vibes in to the air and sing our yoga prayers to the weather gods and not accept any negative weather thoughts, the sun will come in abundance.

kg703 wrote: »
    You would want to be feeling fairly brave to leave your wellies at home in any case!

Touché

Peesh89 wrote: »
    I'm refusing to believe anything but YR.. If we all just totes visualise amazing weather and send posi vibes in to the air and sing our yoga prayers to the weather gods and not accept any negative weather thoughts, the sun will come in abundance.

Agreed ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

eddiegisto wrote: »
    So bring the wellies

Boots > Wellies

Advertisement