Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Effects wrote: »
    I'd hardly call that area "Famous People Camping", more like "Crammed in staff, lowly acts and people who know someone camping".

Well it was called 'performer camping' on the regular map, so that's what I went with ;)

As I recall though, they also take a look at your weekend ticket at this point. They don't scan it, just look. Am I imagining this?

I think they do sometimes, depends on the gate staff tbh. Last year the guy on the Timahoe Road entrance didn't even think our VW campervan was a campervan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

But you need a separate wristband for it?

No wristband necessary, but someone here said that they couldn't get in as they had a beer that wasn't Heineken or some such sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Yup have a campervan pass, and I've a weekend ticket I can give him. Provided he doesn't have to scan it or exchange then we should be fine I guess :D

Yeah but is it worth the risk for the sake of him driving it in?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Yeah but is it worth the risk for the sake of him driving it in?

Safest thing for the paranoid is to go with him in the campervan, explain the situation to the staff and it will surely all work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

No wristband necessary, but someone here said that they couldn't get in as they had a beer that wasn't Heineken or some such sh1te.

Exclusive wristband=Cool vibes.

Heino.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭phizzledizzle

MJohnston wrote: »
    And I'll clarify what I mean there. Usual procedure for me in the campervan is - turn off M7, get directed down the campervan route towards Timahoe Road, then at the gates to the campervan entrance on Timahoe Road they'll check your campervan pass (which should be affixed to the windscreen) and let you into the campervan site. Once in there, you get directed to your campervan pitch, then whenever you want to exit the campervan site into the main campsites, you have to pass through the Wristband exchange tent, where you swap your weekend tickets for the wristbands.

So, your mate, presuming he doesn't have a ticket for the festival, will be easily able to get into the campervan site with a campervan pass and a campervan, and then exit himself by walking back down toward the Timahoe Road.

The Timahoe Road is also home to the Yellow Car Park (take a look at my aerial photo sitemap here), and that will be the closest that any cars are able to get to the campervan site because there is the initial Garda checkpoint for campervan traffic that won't let cars through, then there's the security on the road entrance who won't let cars through, then there's the security on the inside gate of the campervan site who won't let cars through.

What a whopper post, thanks a mill! Great graphic by the way, forwarded it on to a few friends.

Yes Pablo, I'll probably just be straight up with them and explain the plan. Are the campervan wristbands different from the regular? I have friends coming in later who will be joining me. I guess not but just checking. And thanks for the app :)

What a whopper post, thanks a mill! Great graphic by the way, forwarded it on to a few friends.

Yes Pablo, I'll probably just be straight up with them and explain the plan. Are the campervan wristbands different from the regular? I have friends coming in later who will be joining me. I guess not but just checking. And thanks for the app :)

You're welcome for the app... wristbands are the same.

btw, if you do plan on using the Yellow Car park, take note of the special route that others here have highlighted as the way to get into it, as you won't be able to coming from Portlaoise direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Exclusive wristband=Cool vibes.

IMG

I presume there's a separate part of the Heineken area that you can only get in using a wristband, maybe up on the balcony part? I've never been in there at all tbh.
    it's the same with Casa Bacardi, some of it you can only go into with a Bacardi wristband or VIP pass or something.

• Advertisement

I presume there's a separate part of the Heineken area that you can only get in using a wristband, maybe up on the balcony part? I've never been in there at all tbh.
    it's the same with Casa Bacardi, some of it you can only go into with a Bacardi wristband or VIP pass or something.

I've always avoided that Heineken area, seems very forced and fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BrianosaurJr

I'd hardly call that area "Famous People Camping", more like "Crammed in staff, lowly acts and people who know someone camping".

:pac::pac::pac:

Haha! As somebody who has played EP last two years and again this weekend, I can definitely confirm it is NOT famous people camping. No food stands, significantly less toilets and feckin' tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Anyone know where are the best beer offers, cheers :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

Hi, can anyone who has taken a coach down before tell me what time realistically you'd need to leave Dublin to get down by 6?
    thanks!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That first Chorus of magnificent (she says) banging out and reverbing around......

Can't fcuking wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

.........and that will be the closest that any cars are able to get to the campervan site because there is the initial Garda checkpoint for campervan traffic that won't let cars through, then there's the security on the road entrance who won't let cars through, then there's the security on the inside gate of the campervan site who won't let cars through.

Can I just doublecheck if im understanding this road closure from timahoe to stradbally correctly as we've come this way the last two years, not been stopped/turned back, go through the village and turn into the green car park

Can I just doublecheck if im understanding this road closure from timahoe to stradbally correctly as we've come this way the last two years, not been stopped/turned back, go through the village and turn into the green car park

It might be different if you're coming from Timahoe, I'm referring to people coming from Portlaoise - the Gardai "checkpoint" (it's just them directing traffic really) is much closer to Portlaoise, on some roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Imagine I was in the same place as Mark Hollis in 2011

"Mark Hollis continues to remain out of the public eye. He was spotted at the Electric Picnic Irish Music Festival in September 2011. A report in the Irish Times yielded the following in the comments section

Yes, Mark Hollis, bizarre but true. I got a VIP ticket through a friend who designs the site-map and I met him in the VIP area, queuing for the toilets, of all places. I recognised him as I saw a more recent picture of him in a magazine receiving some award, then when I heard the English accent I politely asked him was he Mark Hollis and he said yes, told him I was huge fan of Talk Talk, blah blah blah and left it at that. Seems like a nice guy, very unassuming, just enjoying the festival with his wife. Saw him again at Big Audio Dynamite standing at the back with his wife. A friend I was with said her Talk Talk-mad brother also met him on a plane coming over to Ireland, he told him was going on holiday in the West of Ireland and was also going to take in the Picnic. Apparently, he comes over here quite often.
    Apparently the festival organisers have approached him in the past to play a gig, but received a letter on Mark Hollis headed notepaper with the response 'no f*cking way!'"

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

It might be different if you're coming from Timahoe, I'm referring to people coming from Portlaoise - the Gardai "checkpoint" (it's just them directing traffic really) is much closer to Portlaoise, on some roundabout.

Ah yeah, gotcha now. Thanks.

By the way, nice work with the aerial photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Sorted

Booka
    Charlie Cunningham
    Divine Comedy
    London Grammar
    XX
    RSAG

Touts
    Declan Mckenna
    The Riptide Movement
    Madness
    These Charming Men
    All Tvvins
    JapandroidsCosby Stage
    Le Galaxie
    Interpol
    Public Service Broadcasting
    Pete Tong & The Heritage Orchestra
    Le Boom

Dublin Gospel Choir
    Pillow Queens
    Fangclub
    Goat Girl
    Fulton & Gold/Bear's Den
    Real Estate
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Band of Horses
    Elbow/Father John Misty/Car Seat Headrest/DJ Yoda
    Duran Duran / Soulwax /Ash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Anyone know anything about the shuttle bus from portloais?

Does it run from the train station? Will I be able to catch it at 7.40pm?

Edit* Just got it

http://www.martleys.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83:electric-picnic-shuttle-bus&catid=35:services&Itemid=173

for anyone else wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Ash are playing at the Jerry Fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

People have asked to list various genres
    Rap - m/c /// Trad /// Jazz /// Techno etc

How about listing the cover bands.
    There are so many new sounds to take in, that sometimes it's nice to be greeted with the familiar!

Roadhouse Doors (the doors)
    These Charming Men (the smiths)
    Harvest (neil young)
    Le Freak (chic, sister sledge, diana ross etc)
    RobotRock (bit of a stretch as they remix daft punk, basement jaxx, chems etc)
    Salty Dog no stars are doing exile on main street as their album this year (rolling stones).

Any others to add to the list?

I see there's a band called Pogueology playing too (a pogues tribute band..) Not listed where n when yet

:pac::pac::pac:

Haha! As somebody who has played EP last two years and again this weekend, I can definitely confirm it is NOT famous people camping. No food stands, significantly less toilets and feckin' tiny.

It seemed smaller last year than previous years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

thebusher wrote: »
    Your best bet is to head south on the M9 as if heading for Waterford/Kilkenny.

Swing off for Carlow which should get you onto the N80 and head towards Stradbally that that way. That takes you to the Yellow carpark.

Alternatively head south again on M9 and leave it when signed for Ballitore. This gets you onto the N78. Follow this to Athy and then join the N80 for Stradbally. I imagine this to be a bit cross country though so the first option is probably best.

Hope this helps

Thanks for this! Really want to get into yellow car park! See attached, do I have that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

dusters wrote: »
    Hi All, some images from today's Media Day for EP17.
    Site looks great and the ground is good!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CiaraDPhotography/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1369926449742872

Some cool looking new areas. Like the look of the new Salty Dog and the Soundome looks good too, wonder will there be massive queues to get in all weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

I'm really enjoying Aeons at the moment, worth checking out. Life flow - Aeons. On at 9:45 on Friday in mindfields

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dusters

I see there's a band called Pogueology playing too (a pogues tribute band..) Not listed where n when yet

They are brilliant, Laois based.
    11.45pm Friday Jimmy Lee Juke Joint in Trailer Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

gaffolino wrote: »
    Hey guys! Quick one. Broke my ankle a few weeks back and only got the boot off last week. I'll still have a crutch next weekend and will struggle with the walking, standing etc over the weekend. Wanted to bring in one of those small tripod stools into the main arena with me but have no idea if its allowed. I've emailed festival republic 2 days ago but got no response. Been going years but if i'm honest i've never noticed people on chairs or the likes in there. Prob cause I was two busy with my two working feet. Anyone any ideas??

Have seen a few chairs in the past! I feel your pain! Ruptured by Achilles' tendon couple years ago-I actually brought boot to EP with me even though I was out of it for a couple of weeks- it helped with walking gave added protection and good for smuggling 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

sassyj wrote: »
    Thanks for this! Really want to get into yellow car park! See attached, do I have that right?

Looks right yea.

Just hope the gardai dont mess up exits.

Advertisement