Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Left Interpol after maybe 5 songs. Just weren't what I'd hoped they'd be and I had wanted to see Public Service Broadcasting (Clash)

Caught second half of the PSB set, got soaked in the process but they became my Saturday highlight.

Loved Madness, These Charming Men, Ocelots (who are playing again tomorrow) too.

All in all a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

'Sounding like a CD' used to be a compliment.

Personally I don't mind when a band keep their heads down. I find most 'interaction' at gigs to be utterly inane.

'Hello Dublin' was usually the opening salvo at Irish festivals, although these days Electric Picnic doesn't have the same amount of international acts playing, so the performing artists usually know what part of the country they're in.

And of course the organisers, in an effort to pad out the line-up, have some acts playing four times over the weekend, meaning bands now have more chances than ever to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Tent survived the onslaught anyway. We'll go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Paleblood wrote: »
    'Sounding like a CD' used to be a compliment.

Personally I don't mind when a band keep their heads down. I find most 'interaction' at gigs to be utterly inane.

'Hello Dublin' was usually the opening salvo at Irish festivals, although these days Electric Picnic doesn't have the same amount of international acts playing, so the performing artists usually know what part of the country they're in.

And of course the organisers, in an effort to pad out the line-up, have some acts playing four times over the weekend, meaning bands now have more chances than ever to get it right.

I don't mind bands keeping the heads down but on the sounding like a cd thing we once left an Ocean Colour Scene gig because it sounded so much like the cd it was boring. Live music needs to have a certain energy to it

threein99 wrote: »
    I don't mind bands keeping the heads down but on the sounding like a cd thing we once left an Ocean Colour Scene gig because it sounded so much like the cd it was boring. Live music needs to have a certain energy to it

Think it depends on the band. I don't think the "how the hell are you guys doing tonight, I can't heeear you..." style of stage banter would suit interpol at all.

Dark and serious is OK by me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Crowd at Pete Tong was very decent considering the torrential rain. Got absolutely soaked. All Tviins were excellent. Same with Elaine Mai and Le Galaxie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

All right, people, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal’s a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I love the corps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Synode wrote: »
    Crowd at Pete Tong was very decent considering the torrential rain. Got absolutely soaked. All Tviins were excellent. Same with Elaine Mai and Le Galaxie

Did anyone see ATCQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

D.Q wrote: »
    threein99 wrote: »

Think it depends on the band. I don't think the "how the hell are you guys doing tonight, I can't heeear you..." style of stage banter would suit interpol at all.

Dark and serious is OK by me.

I know what ye are saying I saw Foo Fighters in Lisbon recently, DG never shut up. Where as The National live sound great musically but Matts voice can be dodgy, and it certainly doesn't sound like the CD, but he sure does interact with the crowd !

Snarky Snark Snark

Did anyone see ATCQ?

Yarp. Much better than I thought they would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Did anyone see ATCQ?

Yarp. Much better than I thought they would be
    Decent crowd?

I'm feeling surprisingly fresh this morning all things considered. Should be a good day.

Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Decent crowd?

Aye. Back to the sound/light desk. But got patchy towards the back of that. Weather did not help at all

Totally empty beyond the tower

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Jeez that Rte coverage does the festival no favours.....I think they show less and less music each year and half of that is by people already employed by Rte....hope the weather picks up for you's, enjoy the last day..

Aye. Back to the sound/light desk. But got patchy towards the back of that. Weather did not help at all

Totally empty beyond the tower

Felt bad for anyone playing the main stage after RTJ. The weather only got worse from there on in. Starting to clear up now thankfully.

Snarky Snark Snark

I am on coffee #2. Had two croissants and a muffin. Next up is a banana. Sat in my big fcuk off moon chair outside my tent. It's really overcast but there's a nice warmth in the air. Could well have a nice snooze here.

Was merrily awake and up at 8ish for the toilets and a nice long hot soapy shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Music is stratified now into two groups: straight up pop and everyone else trying to be cerebral and not be that. It wasn't like that from 1950s until early 00s where artists straddled both commerce and creativity.

Total bollocks. "In my day..."

"In my day..."

Yup. We used have Bowie and Prince in the chart as routine.

Now you've Ed Sheeran and Pitbull.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did they show any of atcq on the tv coverage does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Did they show any of atcq on the tv coverage does anyone know

Don't think so. Watched most of it but switched off with ten mins left and they were in the middle of Pete Tongs set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That was a soft night, about 20mm of rain fell, the good news is the high res chats have most of the heavy showers staying south of EP today but would still expect some showers. Warm and humid too, it was 10c warmer last night than Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Presume Interpol were late due to Annie Mac being out half an hour late for her slot.

Will be spending most of my evening in Electric Arena. Great list of bands to finish off the festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Music is stratified now into two groups: straight up pop and everyone else trying to be cerebral and not be that. It wasn't like that from 1950s until early 00s where artists straddled both commerce and creativity.

The likes of LG/XX/Alt-J are boring because they are essentially establishment and non-threatening. The sexuality and raw bump and grind has been surgically sucked out of them.

This is a conversation for next Tuesday morning not the Saturday night of EP!!

I accept your later point about Bowie, Prince, etc. and the superficiality and vapidness of the majority of what charts these days. But the same is true of the best sellers list in Easons and the top grossing movies each year. Those respective industries don't exist in their former state. Perhaps the 'top 10 of X' was once representative of the best of what was happening but that's simply not the case now.

'Back in the day' stories are just expressions of laziness. If you want challenging art then go and look for it. You're essentially criticising a model of industry that doesn't exist anymore for not doing what it used to do. It's a non-argument.

You have fingers. You can type. Go and find what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I accept your later point about Bowie, Prince, etc. and the superficiality and vapidness of the majority of what charts these days. But the same is true of the best sellers list in Easons and the top grossing movies each year. Those respective industries don't exist in their former state. Perhaps the 'top 10 of X' was once representative of the best of what was happening but that's simply not the case now.

'Back in the day' stories are just expressions of laziness. If you want challenging art then go and look for it. You're essentially criticising a model of industry that doesn't exist anymore for not doing what it used to do. It's a non-argument.

Aw man, is this what we've become?
    Gone are the heady days of "you have fingers, raise the middle one and say F*** you!"
    Then, take the rest of them and start you own band and create what you like or think is missing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Too deep for the Sunday morning of the Picnic, people. Squirrel those thoughts away for tomorrow, get your boots on and get yourselves off to a) the Dublin Eukelele Collective at the Trailer Park or b) Aaron Lee Tasjan in the Cosby. Both have a 1 o clock kick off and will restore your faith in humanity. You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Yup. We used have Bowie and Prince in the chart as routine.

Now you've Ed Sheeran and Pitbull.

There's a hell of a lot more than that in the Irish acts of EP alone FFS. A hundred variations and genres, all quality. Look beyond the main stages for one thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Too deep for the Sunday morning of the Picnic, people. Squirrel those thoughts away for tomorrow, get your boots on and get yourselves off to a) the Dublin Eukelele Collective at the Trailer Park or b) Aaron Lee Tasjan in the Cosby. Both have a 1 o clock kick off and will restore your faith in humanity. You're welcome.

kill me now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

kill me now

Is your hangover that bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Pillow queens in other voices @ 1:50 first up for me. Been trying to catch them for a while, Rats is an absolutely class tune.

• Advertisement

Being a bit unfair but I'll give you a free pass. I was responding to a few posters who said London Grammar weren't suitable as Friday night headliners and WTF was going on.

I can assure you I'm anything but lazy when it comes to searching for new music. If I was I'd be at home listening to Sounds of the 70s with Johnnie Walker on BBC Radio 2, not at EP!

Advertisement