Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

So when do 2018 tickets go on sale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

No mention of Young Fathers by anyone.....my absolute stand out of the weekend, immense performance. Went into London Grammar expecting much but found it underwhelming. All Tvvins started slow and sound seemed poor but picked up and ultimately played a belter.

Great weekend (well, two days since I had to go home Sunday am) and roll on 2018.

Looking forward to my faves, The National, at Cork Opera House now in two weeks.......can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

I had a great EP, mostly. a bit of a game of three halves.
    Friday, down about 11.30 into the Eco Camping (very happy with it, clean, good neighbours, relatively quiet, a little close to the rave in the woods but earplugs helped)
    Really enjoyed Friday
    Booka at 4 kicked off the weekend perfectly.
    Harvest was great, Divine Comedy better than I expected, and London Grammar and The XX were highlights for me, although not sure putting them on one after the other was a great idea.
    Silent Disco finishing up with Otherkin at Salty Dog.

Saturday was a combination of not finding too much I really wanted to see, and thus wandering round, and the rain impacted choices of what to see. Still, I look back and
    Madness were good fun;
    Talos and Jagwar Ma both great
    loved Mr. Jukes
    enjoyed Annie Mac and Pete Tong, but its a bit hard to raise your hands up in the air, when you're trying to keep dry underneath your poncho and its chucking it down.

Sunday was great for me. far too many clashes.
    Kila, Fangclub, King Kong Company great
    Bear's Den was brilliant.
    Pretenders, Band of Horses great
    Elbow were great, but some of their songs are a bit lyrically complex, and there was a lot of talking over some of them that pi***d me off.
    I enjoyed Duran Duran far more than I thought I would.

Many thank to Pablo for his brilliant app, which I used all weekend.

I think they should move Jerry Fish. He was in a triangle with the current corporate e-cig place, and the Heineken stage, and he lost out sound-wise. They should put another corporate thing like 3 there and let the three of them fight it out for sound interference.

Overall I got to 34 acts (some for one or two songs), Friday and Sunday were brilliant, Saturday was definitely weaker, and the rain really had an impact on enjoyment and choices.
    In summary, a very good EP, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Anyone see Elbow in Other Voices? Pals loved it but I stuck with the Lemon Twigs though I eventually found them a little underwhelming.

Great great weekend. And what a finish with Duran.

I cannot believe you found the Lemon Twigs underwhelming. OVERwhelming maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Anyone catch perfume genius? Nuther bugger I forgot about

Yeah, was great, got a decent crowd too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Soulwax absolutely rocked the place last night. Gig of the weekend for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I cannot believe you found the Lemon Twigs underwhelming. OVERwhelming maybe.

Sorry man, but they just didn't do it for me. Crowd loved them so they must have been doing something right. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

rebelreded wrote: »
    No mention of Young Fathers by anyone.....my absolute stand out of the weekend, immense performance. Went into London Grammar expecting much but found it underwhelming. All Tvvins started slow and sound seemed poor but picked up and ultimately played a belter.

Great weekend (well, two days since I had to go home Sunday am) and roll on 2018.

Looking forward to my faves, The National, at Cork Opera House now in two weeks.......can't wait.

Just shows what a weekend it was that I didn't even mention them. They were great, a ferocious performance, incredible intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Just in the door, and a lovely shower was had! We left at 7am...red car park was fine, didn't cut up at all but saying that we were the only car I saw leaving at that point. Started to rain soon after we left so not sure how car park will hold up.
    Will need to gather my thoughts on a brilliant weekend though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Left yesterday because of aforementioned work but my highlights from Friday and Saturday were:
    - Mo K
    - Rusangano Family
    - RTJ
    - Le Galaxie

Edit: and the Dublin Ukulele Collective. Pure unadulterated happiness.

Surprise of the weekend was Declan McKenna, got dragged in but really enjoyed it. "WTF" moment was le Boom, didn't get it at all.

Similar, but my WTF moment was London Grammar, and quickly left (as i knew i would not enjoy them anyway) and went back to Rankin's Woods. Jenny Greene and RTE orchestra were a massive dud for me i am sorry to say.
    Happily left there and moved around. I would have loved to have got to Jagwar Ma, but i must say i loved Rusangano Family :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

rebelreded wrote: »
    No mention of Young Fathers by anyone

They were mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

thebusher wrote: »
    Stillill42 wrote: »
    Jesus. Anyone at Touts? Fecking amazing. Really loved them.

They were full on. Loud. Didnt give a boll**

Loved em.
    Couldnt agree more , 
    best line of the weekend from anyone "Heres a wee song - go **** yourself !!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

What an amazing weekend.. The highlight of the whole festival for me was Ash playing in the jerry Fish last night.....Absolutely belting out the hits.....Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Great weekend!

Ended up in Janis Joplin as we spent the guts of 2 hours walking around trying to find a place to pitch on Friday. Place was already jammed at 12pm!!

Highlights: London Grammar, Soulwax, Annie Mac, Talos, Nix Moon, Fields, Chaka Khan, Elbow. Stumbled across a great gospel band under the transmission yesterday and a guy playing the eukalele in a random tent in body and soul on saturday night when trying to hide from the rain!

Lows: almost dying of hypothermia on Friday night despite wearing almost every piece of clothing i had brought to bed. the rain on saturday surely put a dampener on everything. I had wanted to see a few bands after Annie Mac on Saturday but I was too wet and soggy to stay for any more. Also I wasn't expecting so many "leaving cert holiday" groups of teenagers everywhere.

Yesterday's weather made up for saturday though - perfect festival evening with a beaut sunset over stage at Chaka Khan🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    What an amazing weekend.. The highlight of the whole festival for me was Ash playing in the jerry Fish last night.....Absolutely belting out the hits.....Brilliant stuff

Would have loved to have caught that but never seen Duran so couldn't pass it up. Big crowd for Ásh? And noisebleed bad from nearby?

Also disappointed to miss Kiasmos. Any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Would have loved to have caught that but never seen Duran so couldn't pass it up. Big crowd for Ásh, and noisebleed bad from nearby?

Good crowd for Ash..we were near the front so the noise from accross the way didnt matter....I reckon if you were at the back it would have been a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

It's great looking at everyone else's highlights and I didn't see any of them. Just goes to show so much to see for everyone. Friday I started off with Booka Divine Comedy bit of London Grammar and Bicep and Otherkin . Saturday Declan McKenna (way better than I expected) Madness ATCQ and just floated around trying to stay dry missed a lot. Sunday was amazing Skatlites King Kong Company bit of Kila Pretenders Father John Misty and Duran Duran surprisingly the highlight of the weekend for me thought the sound was spot on. Great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

Heres what I can remember and what I thought - had to leave early yesterday evening so missed all the acts from later last night.
    Friday 
    Young fathers - really good
    Vince Staples - didnt get it - reminded me of Kanye at Glasto :D
    The XX - grand , 
    Bicep - really enjoyed them even though only knew Just and a couple of others
    Otherkin - excellent 
    After that chaos ensued at Trenchtown and Rave in Woods, then magically you wake up in a tent the next morning 

Saturday
    After some breakfast beers 
    Touts - effing amazing - short sharp punk songs
    Strypes - good
    Otherkin - brilliant - any gig that you have the leader singer standing on top of you has gotta be good ?
    Bold Motel - saw Outsiders - R&b not my thing but enjoyed my brief stay there 
    Madness - very good , they still got it
    Everything everything, very well received, surprised me tbh as not a fan
    These charming men - absolutely fantastic smiths cover band
    All Tvvins - took a while to get going - always watchable
    Frank & Walters - excellent
    Japandroids - sounded good - only there for a couple of songs
    A tRibe Called Quest - very good - more lively than expected - rain really arrived
    Interpol - This was my disappointment of the weekend - especially as at that stage I was half drowned and decided to stay in and dry - Would have loved to left and gone to Pete Tong but just didnt - They looked to be a bit miffed - possibly the delayed start pissed them off - saw the drummer throwing a strop when called back for another couple at the end ? Anyone else think that ?
    Saw a dj in a tent after Interpol- It think it was Clark - whoever it was he was not great but had 2 dancers who worked there socks off. They looked a bit freaky with long hair down in front of them - reminded me of the scary lady who crawls out of tv's in the ring 
    Slunk off to my tent wet but happy particularly with the start of the day

Sunday
    Prymary Colours - brilliant tunes, brilliant outfits , scantily clad assistants - whats not to like ?!
    Kila - very enjoyable
    Fangclub - excellent - very early nirvana vibe off the songs to me, 
    King Kong Company - really good live performers and performance as always -got a huge crowd in to see them again
    That was when I cut off to go home
    saw loads of nibbles of other things when drifting about, got to wander around all the Global Green area and stuff like that on Sunday morning - very enjoyable
    I also thought the vibe was great in general this year - better than last year for sure 
    I hope everyone elase had as good a time as I did, got home safe and I'll see you all soon on next years thread :D
    I didnt get my code yet etc...:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Just back having a sandwich after cleaning camper and before i jump in the shower (TMO)

Agree with posts here about Sat night, not much to see and then rain as well!! Sunday was great.

Highlights - Talos in OV, stomptown brass, Interference, Jinx Lennon, Madness, Goat Girl and Parqet Courts (bring back guitars), Elbow in OV and main stage.
    Perfume genius very strange. Duran Duran enjoyable but very 80's (I know what did I expect!!).
    Le Galaxie and Interpol didn't do it for me.
    Neither did RTE orchestra, I think they should do a "straight" gig like they did in 2009(?). Pete Tong seem to use the Orchestra better/

Overall a great weekend with "my sad captains with whom I choose to loose my mind".

Agree with Comment on Vince Staples reminded me of Kayne in a bad way as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I personally enjoyed Vince Staples. Hip hop is the quintessential headphone music for me. It's very difficult to pull it off live as a solo performer. That's why the best hip hop live acts are groups, and it's why even some of the very best solo rappers choose to perform with some nondescript hype-man to vibe off. Vince Staples chose to go it alone with a very stripped back aesthetic and I think it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Was only there for a few hours on Sunday evening and traveled just to see Kiasmos - they were pretty epic. Crazy massive sound. The two lads really enjoyed themselves and so did the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Would have loved to have caught that but never seen Duran so couldn't pass it up. Big crowd for Ásh? And noisebleed bad from nearby?

Went to Kiasmos after a recommendation from here. Boy they did not disappoint, right up the front for it and so glad I went there instead of soulwax. Thanks again, as it was prob my highlight of the weekend
    Missed the beginning unfortunately as I wanted to catch some of Duran Duran, who were also excellent after a very boring Elbow performance (sorry to fans who I'm sure will disagree but they literally put people around us in the stand to sleep)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

This was the first year I didn't go to the Picnic to see anyone in particular and it was by far the one I've enjoyed the most. Jagwar Ma, Father John, Annie Mac, Chaka Khan, Duran Duran they were all brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I had a seriously good weekend this year. Weather was perfect on Friday and Sunday, Saturday was a bit harder to enjoy yourself with the rain but still got to see a couple of acts and it didn't impact the weekend too much. Thought there was a good atmosphere and a slightly older crowd than last year. Here's what my weekend looked like:

Friday: Mix & Fairbanks, Get Down Edits, London Grammar, The XX, Bicep, Le Freak, New Jackson - very enjoyable day overall and wanted to take advantage of the good weather, went into the arena around 3.30pm and didn't leave until 4am. Wandered around for a lot of the day as well. I really enjoyed London Grammar, she has an amazing voice. The XX sounded better than at Primavera but left after 30 mins to catch Bicep.

Saturday: Madness, TADHG, Birdy, Le Galaxie, Tiga, Get Down Edits - Musically the day didn't go as planned due to the weather, missed out on Phoenix & Le Boom due to the rain, also missed Floating Points as I got too cosy in the tent for a few hours. Tiga was a let down but all of the rest were good, Get Down Edits are phenomenal DJs.

Sunday: Dublin Gospel Choir, Chaka Khan, Late Nite Tuff Guy, Duran Duran, Mother DJs - thought Chaka Khan was disappointing but had an amazing night from there on. Duran Duran were a lot better than I expected, Mother is the perfect way to end EP, very big crowd at them on the Earthship stage and everyone was in flying form singing and dancing away for the night.

Smashing weekend, if the weather had of been better on Saturday it could have been the best EP I've been to, but two out of three days isn't bad. Pink Moon well worth the money again and will be staying there from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Anyone go to the Hedge School 40 years of punk thing?

I enjoyed it but felt somehow like it was trying to be some kind of high brow BBC thing. Snippets of musc were great but the delays kinda spoiled it.

Handy start to Saturday though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Didn't see half the acts I wanted to but had a brilliant weekend. Birdy was good but London Grammar was incredible.

Here questioning all the life decisions I've ever made. Ah the joys of post EP fear. I need a hug and wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Absolutely stunning show by Soulwax last night, just amazing - personally the best electronic performance I've ever witnessed.

Incredible stage setup (the three drummers in the soundproof booths were ridiculously good, both in concept and their actual drumming), and they created a proper rock-rave crossover that they managed to perform fully live even with all the electronics. I used up every ounce of energy I had left for that one.

I was a bit gutted about the Kiasmos clash, but honestly, having seen Kiasmos before, I love 'em but their live show is like 99% of electronic artists. Soulwax brought a f*cking recording studio with them and were a pure headbanger ending to the festival. I had zero regrets for my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Fantastic weekend. I'm an absolute write off here..

Sunday was the best day for me. Absolutely loved King Kong and Duran Duran in particular.

Jerry Fish was good craic to close last night. He's some show man.

The rain was annoying but didn't find the mud too bad apart from the main paths in places.

We camped in Oscar Wilde which I found to be more packed than usual. Getting in and out was a nightmare.

Back to reality now. Many thanks Pablo for the app!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Defo one of the better picnic's ...dissapointed with a few of the bigger names but enjoyed the smaller stages in part the Salty Dog.

Nicer vibe and crowd than last year for sure.

The weather was strange freezing friday night ,wet and roasting Sat night and lovely last night even tho I didn't camp as I live locally.

Heard they caught a big gang from Dublin who were only there to rob stuff ..suppose to be a gang they were after for a few years..

Highlights

*more foodstall and every sort of stalls in general
    *way better vibe this year
    *better organisation and management
    *Riptide movement ...
    *Beer in cute hoor stall(mmmm)
    *weather Sunday mild and perfect

Lowlights
    *London Grammar (just don't get them maybe its just me)
    *Rain saturday evening(I was home before it got too bad)
    *Q's for taxi's in Stradbally town for locals(usually get one handy most years)

Over all great festival....

See ya next year folkes hope eveyone has a safe trip home.

To the two girls from Co.Down I gave a lift back into Portlaoise and dropped at the train station this morning who were thumbing ..You left your sleeping bag in my boot...full of dirty clothes as well thanks...:-) ...They are gone into the bin!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

A serious gripe with the weekend - why the hell are parents leaving their kids off into a drunk / dosed up crowd to collect cups?
    Totally irresponsible! There were Ket warriors all over the place who were on another planet and besides the dangers of the kids getting hurt or lost, not one of them did I see wearing gloves. Who knows what sh!t they were picking up from the ground

Advertisement