Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

MJohnston wrote: »
    Youd think even if Heineken wouldnt allow craft beers to be sold, they could at least expand the selection within their own range of owned breweries:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heineken_brands

They did. The post above is wrong.

They had Heineken, Heineken Light, Cute Hoor, Tiger, Paulaner, Desperados, Murphy's and Orchard Thieves. It's enough variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Great EP despite the rain sat night (and lack of sleep Fri. night) causing me to be unable to be upright and having to skip Public Service Broadcasting.
    First time in Pink Moon, worth the money IMO.

Fri – Little Hours, Hudson Taylor, Young Father, Columbia Mills & The XX (loved)
    Sat – The Strypes, Madness (epic), Birdy (girl can sing) & Eden
    Sun – King Kong Company (class), Rag ‘n’ Bone man (highlight of weekend for me), The Pretenders (still got it) , Band Of Horses, Elbow (blown away) & Duran Duran (great show).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

We stayed in Joplin... it was perfect , toilets were clean, food and coffee available....BUT who the feck was COLIN ?
    All weekend he was missing ....Colin..Colin ...COLIN where are ya??
    Great great weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Oh, something else I meant to say.we were turned back by the Gardai when trying to use route we used last year to get to Green carpark. Initially very annoyed, but actually worked out ok being diverted to Red car park.

There was no sitting in traffic for an hour like last year. And granted, it was a tough trek with cans and all from car park to paintball entrance, but again we didn't have to queue to get wrist bands. So worked ok all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

moonshadow wrote: »
    We stayed in Joplin... it was perfect , toilets were clean, food and coffee available....BUT who the feck was COLIN ?
    All weekend he was missing ....Colin..Colin ...COLIN where are ya??
    Great great weekend !

Hahaha I was in pink moon but someone was telling me about that last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Anyone get yo Everything Everything? Thought they were great too. No reptiles another contender for the song of the weekend.

Yeah they were class... That song or funeral by band of horses were song of the weekend for me... Young fathers and run the jewels my stand out acts...

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

I second this - thanks again thebusher, your directions were excellent. We went via Athy too and got into the Yellow car park no problem shortly before 2 on Friday afternoon.

I'll post again soon with thoughts on my first full Picnic.

Glad it worked out :-)

Pogueology as the gig gets pulled

https://youtu.be/yXi_jt0n3O4

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭phizzledizzle

Anyone get yo Everything Everything? Thought they were great too. No reptiles another contender for the song of the weekend.

I only caught them near the end due to clashes, but that was a belter. Had never heard it before and it was on repeat in the car on the way home.

Thought Le Galaxie were excellent, it looked like things were going to go awry when their choreographed opening came undone due to the keyboard not working and Michael Pope slamming his faulty mic down and screaming the sound desk, but it all worked out after. Was really impressed by Otherkin at 4pm, made the most of that slot. Interpol were clinical but I like that about them tbf. Wouldn't be a huge fan of Fr John Misty but the second half of his set was exceptional.

Was torn between Kiasmos, Pond and Soulwax last night, went to a bit of Kiasmos but it looks like I would have enjoyed Soulwax more.

London Grammar should have been in the Electric Arena, I think the intimacy of their music gets lost on the main stage.

Don't think I can hack camping in the mainsite anymore, we were surrounded by cokeheads roaring all-night monologues.

The app was a lifesaver Pablo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I only caught them near the end due to clashes, but that was a belter. Had never heard it before and it was on repeat in the car on the way home.

Thought Le Galaxie were excellent, it looked like things were going to go awry when their choreographed opening came undone due to the keyboard not working and Michael Pope slamming his faulty mic down and screaming the sound desk, but it all worked out after. Was really impressed by Otherkin at 4pm, made the most of that slot. Interpol were clinical but I like that about them tbf. Wouldn't be a huge fan of Fr John Misty but the second half of his set was exceptional.

Was torn between Kiasmos, Pond and Soulwax last night, went to a bit of Kiasmos but it looks like I would have enjoyed Soulwax more.

London Grammar should have been in the Electric Arena, I think the intimacy of their music gets lost on the main stage.

Don't think I can hack camping in the mainsite anymore, we were surrounded by cokeheads roaring all-night monologues.

I counted my blessings I got the eco campsite everytime walking through oscar Wilde.. it was wedged and looked more and more like the jungle at Calais as the weekend went on :) .. I wouldn't have stuck it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The aftermath of that same Pogueology gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,721 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can't post... too soon :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They did. The post above is wrong.

They had Heineken, Heineken Light, Cute Hoor, Tiger, Paulaner, Desperados, Murphy's and Orchard Thieves. It's enough variety.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but just in case.....

Heineken, Heineken Light, Tiger & Desperados - 4 kinds of pilsner/lager. One is lower calorie, one is slightly stronger alcohol and slightly more barley malt flavour and one is a whacky lime and tequilla flavoured lager.

Cute Hoor, Paulaner, Murphy's and Orchard Thieves - one red ale, one wheat beer, one stout and cider isn't beer.

So 4 lagers, one ale, one weiss and one stout. You'd be hard pressed to find a pub in any town in Ireland that has more than a thousand residents with less beer variety than this.

Especially since Pale Ale and IPA are so popular at the moment.

The Big Grill BBQ festival in Herbert Park had 18 beer vendors, each with 3/4 different brews each. I'm not saying that EP should do the same, as they are primarily a music festival, but considering they have such a variety of food options (as many if not more than Big Grill or Taste of Dublin), it's odd that they don't do the same for beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

Heres what I can remember and what I thought - had to leave early yesterday evening so missed all the acts from later last night.
    Friday
    Young fathers - really good
    Vince Staples - didnt get it - reminded me of Kanye at Glasto :D
    The XX - grand ,
    Bicep - really enjoyed them even though only knew Just and a couple of others
    Otherkin - excellent
    After that chaos ensued at Trenchtown and Rave in Woods, then magically you wake up in a tent the next morning

Saturday
    After some breakfast beers
    Touts - effing amazing - short sharp punk songs
    Strypes - good
    Otherkin - brilliant - any gig that you have the leader singer standing on top of you has gotta be good ?
    Bold Motel - saw Outsiders - R&b not my thing but enjoyed my brief stay there
    Madness - very good , they still got it
    Everything everything, very well received, surprised me tbh as not a fan
    These charming men - absolutely fantastic smiths cover band
    All Tvvins - took a while to get going - always watchable
    Frank & Walters - excellent
    Japandroids - sounded good - only there for a couple of songs
    A tRibe Called Quest - very good - more lively than expected - rain really arrived
    Interpol - This was my disappointment of the weekend - especially as at that stage I was half drowned and decided to stay in and dry - Would have loved to left and gone to Pete Tong but just didnt - They looked to be a bit miffed - possibly the delayed start pissed them off - saw the drummer throwing a strop when called back for another couple at the end ? Anyone else think that ?
    Saw a dj in a tent after Interpol- It think it was Clark - whoever it was he was not great but had 2 dancers who worked there socks off. They looked a bit freaky with long hair down in front of them - reminded me of the scary lady who crawls out of tv's in the ring
    Slunk off to my tent wet but happy particularly with the start of the day

Sunday
    Prymary Colours - brilliant tunes, brilliant outfits , scantily clad assistants - whats not to like ?!
    Kila - very enjoyable
    Fangclub - excellent - very early nirvana vibe off the songs to me,
    King Kong Company - really good live performers and performance as always -got a huge crowd in to see them again
    That was when I cut off to go home
    saw loads of nibbles of other things when drifting about, got to wander around all the Global Green area and stuff like that on Sunday morning - very enjoyable
    I also thought the vibe was great in general this year - better than last year for sure
    I hope everyone elase had as good a time as I did, got home safe and I'll see you all soon on next years thread :D
    I didnt get my code yet etc...:D:D:D

Looked like the Interpol drummer pulled a bit of strop but think he may have been joking because he drew a little smile after it. Thought Interpol were excellent but poor scheduling when the main act get delayed 30 mins going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

Did anyone find The Strypes hugely underwhelming on the mainstage on Sunday. I know its not an easy time to play at 3.00 on a Sunday but they didn't seen interested at all. Setlist was very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Because it's probably intentional.

Possibly not in all cases. A friend paid for a pint of Heineken with a fifty euro note and a euro twenty in coin. The person behind the bar had to go ask someone what change to give :(

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Kurtosis wrote: »
    Possibly not in all cases. A friend paid for a pint of Heineken with a fifty euro note and a euro twenty in coin. The person behind the bar had to go ask someone what change to give :(

Had similar at the B&S bar, gave 20 note and 3.40 in change for 2 pints, totally confused person behind the bar, in fairness a lot of the bar staff were just volunteers with their wages going to Comhlamh.

And yes, better choice of beer would have been a very nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Kurtosis wrote: »

Of course not in all cases. Not all people are bad. Genuine mistakes can be made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Great organisation, great vibe and great line up.
    Was in eco for the first time. Definitely going back next year.
    Security were sound.
    Some highlights
    Touts
    Goat Girl
    Brand New Friend
    Madness
    PSB
    This charming man

Disappointments
    London g
    Dj Yoda
    Kicking teenagers didn't happen

Touts were really a great find

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

MaxManis wrote: »
    Did anyone find The Strypes hugely underwhelming on the mainstage on Sunday. I know its not an easy time to play at 3.00 on a Sunday but they didn't seen interested at all. Setlist was very poor.

Yep, we thought they were pretty disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I just saw this and i honestly do not know what they are screaming at or for..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/watch-doireann-garrihy-and-james-kavanagh-perform-at-electric-picnic-804432.html

am i just old? This guy is not doing anything at all. :confused:
    I do not think he is even particularly good on the that hoverboard thing

They must be the same people that were giving the "Oooii oooii oooo" at Jenny Greene + RTE Orchestra.
    :D

All the same, great to see everyone enjoying themselves.
    I forgot to mention earlier run the Jewels also had quite a powerful performance. I have never been a fan, but would definitely have a listen to them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cocojumbo

I walked 45km according to Stepz and didn't even stay Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Anyone else catch DD Allen? The poor fecker. I caught him at a very sparsely populated Salty Dog on Friday and again at Trailer Park in the absolute pissings of rain on the Saturday, again with one man and his dog to watch him. He deserved better, he was excellent. And unfailingly polite to boot.

Anyone else catch DD Allen? The poor fecker. I caught him at a very sparsely populated Salty Dog on Friday and again at Trailer Park in the absolute pissings of rain on the Saturday, again with one man and his dog to watch him. He deserved better, he was excellent. And unfailingly polite to boot.

Yea. I enjoyed him on Friday night.

What site did you stay in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'm a wreck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but just in case.....

Heineken, Heineken Light, Tiger & Desperados - 4 kinds of pilsner/lager. One is lower calorie, one is slightly stronger alcohol and slightly more barley malt flavour and one is a whacky lime and tequilla flavoured lager.

Cute Hoor, Paulaner, Murphy's and Orchard Thieves - one red ale, one wheat beer, one stout and cider isn't beer.

So 4 lagers, one ale, one weiss and one stout. You'd be hard pressed to find a pub in any town in Ireland that has more than a thousand residents with less beer variety than this.

Especially since Pale Ale and IPA are so popular at the moment.

The Big Grill BBQ festival in Herbert Park had 18 beer vendors, each with 3/4 different brews each. I'm not saying that EP should do the same, as they are primarily a music festival, but considering they have such a variety of food options (as many if not more than Big Grill or Taste of Dublin), it's odd that they don't do the same for beer.

This is not how music festivals work. The Big Grill is a beer and food festival and is about 0.1% of the scale of EP. Pubs are even less relevant.

To get enough drink, bars and staff in for 50,000 people for 3 days requires a colossal infrastructure that only someone like Heineken or Diageo could provide.

EP can't bring Heineken on board and then let a load of competitors set up shop.

I'm not being sarcastic. Just realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm a wreck

join the club, got home, did washing, crashed for about 4 hours this afternoon.

watching twin peaks at the moment which is really not helping

we had white lines last night, epic wonderful tasteless fantastic out there white lines...

i'm a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm a wreck

Drank a ferocious amount of alcohol yesterday and very hazy memories of midnight onwards.

Four hours in the leaba this afternoon, Nurofen Plus, sausage rolls and Diet Coke and I'd do all again in a heartbeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

One more grumble from me - this trend of having "special guests" listed for a stage and only ever announcing who it will be via Twitter or Facebook is utter bullsh*t. Barely anyone at the festival is checking your stupid social feeds, even if we had the bandwidth to do so. Just announce the guest on the physical stage time list thats's shown outside each stage ffs.

Advertisement